Shopify Reviews

Updated May 14, 2021

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Flexible and open workplace

May 13, 2021 - Product Support Network in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive workplace, equity, flexible vacation

Cons

Fully remote, sometimes equity compensates for salary

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Success comes at a cost.

May 9, 2021 - Account Executive in Waterloo, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- brilliant, entrepreneurially minded people who are inquisitive - developed lots of great friendships with folks who achieve big things and are generally awesome - values high self awareness and constant personal development; if you're a junkie for lifelong learning - you will love the massive library of tools and general language used in work related conversations - tons of benefits + perks - great if you're prone to ADD/ADHD tendencies as things shift so quickly to trends and company hyper-growth stage in its business cycle; likely you will thrive as you really need to juggle so much and understand a lot of "context" - folks adapt quickly to this exciting space; lots of resilience building

Cons

- typical golden handcuffs problems faced by any big tech firms with shiny perks and paycheck - not for someone who wants structure - ^ yet ironically, there's a big emphasis of hiring mid managers externally to help with mgmt challenges -- there's a shift of structure being placed, and messages from top-down are not the clearest - people can drink the Shopify Kool-aid and there is a level of obsession and heavy hustle mentality instilled (i.e., people work long hours and stay online) in order to be successful -- insecure overachievers beware in order to balance sanity and health

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Genuine company that cares for its merchants (customers) as well as employees, alike!

Jan 24, 2021 - Junior Support Advisor in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great positive teams and trainers 2. Monthly budget allocation for books and reading material you'd like to purchase for personal or professional development and growth 3. Free work laptop, hugh 27" Dell monitor keyboard, mouse, USB C to HDMI adapter etc. Company lets you keep everything even after you stop working for the firm; only return laptop for security reasons 4. Fun place to work, fun people to work with 5. Great work life balace 6. They genuinely care about you, and in turn you learn to genuinely care about the customers (CX) 7. This is a company where anyone can do anything! Start off in CX support .. move into HR, IT, Finance, Data Analytics, Software Development, etc. If you excel in your current role and want to switch roles.. the company sponsors your education of bridging courses from local universities/colleges that prep you for your new role. Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to!

Cons

Can't think of any. But keep your lines of communication open with your lead/traininer. They are there to help you, but in a work from home scenario its not difficult for a misunderstanding to prop up. Then it tests your ability to turn the situation in your favour. As long as you are honest about how you spend the time during working hours and stay on top of your work, you will keep moving forward. Not a "Con" per say.. just something to keep in mind. This company is more rewarding that most others out there I have seen, and I have lived on 4 continents in the last 15years :-)

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Some good opportunities, but know when it's time to leave

Mar 20, 2021 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Shopify does hire some great people that are awesome to work with. -Compensation can be competitive for certain roles as a new hire, even if increases leave something to be desired. -Culture team has put a lot of effort into trying to offer something in place of the irreplaceable physical offices. -Very rarely told no when trying to take on initiatives, even when there's financial costs involved. -I learned a lot at first and there are some knowledgeable people that are enthusiastic to teach others. -I think the experience varies drastically per group. I might have enjoyed the work a lot more in another part of the company. -Remote work is even better if you're rich and want to join lots of the senior leadership down in the Caribbean.

Cons

-Some great leaders to be found in the company. But generally there's top-level leadership that loves gaslighting and completely inept middle management. -Constant "pivots"...ergo, lots of last minute changes and indecisiveness. Lots of effort spent here stagnating instead of working on great stuff. -The employee culture has become a weird mix of cult-like love for the company and toxic negativity and entitlement. -"Growth opportunities", typical health benefits, and other taxable expenses are sold as perks in lieu of higher compensation. If you got hired at Shopify you can get hired somewhere that offers similar or better perks along with higher real compensation.

14 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Shopify is a special place

Apr 27, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

4 years in Shopify, I loved every minute. Here is why: - Culture is incredible - People are very talented, very nice, super helpful, you will get a long with everyone - Benefits are the best you will see - Very inclusive community + diverse - Leadership is awesome! They don't micro manage and they give you the freedom to learn, experiment.. the best! - They invest in mental health sessions, they really care about their employees - Social events in remote life is a focus, they are doing their best to keep the community

Cons

- 4 stars because they have one big issue that they have never addressed. If you are promoted internally, you will always be paid less that everyone on your team. Internal promotions are less valuable than external hires. Although the pay and stock options are fair, you will never get paid what your team (hired externally gets paid) The issue is not the pay gap that exists, but the core issue is that HR and leadership continues to deny that this issue even exists. Every recruiter and internal hire knows this.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not meant for neurodivergent people

May 4, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

No pros for real people. The only real pro is you are given a $5k benefit budget where you can expense anything you want and the company will pay for it. This $5k does not come off your salary however it is taxable.

Cons

If you are disabled in any sense (physical or mental) you will be terminated. They do not care about their employees at all. But that isn't the worst of it, the worst of it is they will lie to your face bolstering that they will provide all kinds of accommodations for any kind of disability. When in reality they won't even give you extended leave with a doctor's note. I have officially diagnosed ADHD and when I brought this up I was met with promises of understanding, that if I had a depressive episode I would be given the time I need to recover. When a depressive episode inevitably came and I was requesting more time off than normal with a signed letter from my psychiatrist, I was terminated within a month.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A lot of hidden problems

Mar 11, 2021 - Senior User Experience Designer in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Solving really interesting and fulfilling problems. - Working with talented and kind people

Cons

- leadership lacks accountability and refuse to listen to feedback. - echo chamber at the top. - we're told what a great place shopify is, and yet a lot of people across many areas (below director level) talk about leaving and what a horrible place shopify has become. - the culture has been completely ruined - can't tell if this is on purpose or not. - even new people joining are surprised by how the company is run. Huge disconnect between what's being sold to the outside and what is actually happening on the inside. - the UX org is a mess. It used to be the most amazing group with a clear vision and a lot of excitement. Can't tell if this is part of something intentional or not, but it's hard to get my head around why else we're heading towards destruction. - the blatant gaslighting. - the lack of transparency when it comes to pay. This company definitely doesn't pay people what they should. Huge gaps between people. Not paying people enough is justified as opportunities to learn as if we're doing some kind of work placement. - micromanagement from the top is intense. What's the point of middle management if they can't do their job and be trusted.

15 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company that values their employees

May 10, 2021 - Recruiter in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great growth opportunities, supportive team based environment, really encouraging team culture, good benefits.

Cons

Can feel hard to be recognized for your work and make your mark on such a fast growing company. Pay could be higher for some roles.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great WLB but low total comp

May 14, 2021 - Product Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great WLB, everyone you work with is genuinely nice

Cons

Total comp at Shopify tends to be low compared to other companies. I've been interviewing at other companies and total comp is usually quite a bit lower. There was no signing bonus at Shopify

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A life-changing place to work

Jan 5, 2021 - Support Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

The biggest pro to me is doing work that matters. There's a very real, shared connection to the company's mission among Shopifolk that is incredibly motivating. There's so much opportunity to make a real impact, and after coming from another very large tech company, it's so refreshing that there's real collaboration across teams and disciplines that I've never seen elsewhere. The Talent team also goes WAY above and beyond for employees. Throughout Covid we've been given so many incredible perks (like Fridays off all summer, a very generous expense allowance for creating a comfortable workspace at home, and much more). Working at Shopify has pushed me to grow in ways that no other job has and I'm really thankful for it. For those of us who lean into that growth, the rewards are pretty amazing.

Cons

Being surrounded by so many incredible people can definitely lend to imposter syndrome (this isn't necessarily a con but can be a real challenge), things move FAST and if you wait around for people to hold your hand and and spoon feed you information you'll get left behind quickly (resourcefulness and using available context is highly valued), the office closing for all of 2021 was a huge letdown but of course I understand given the circumstances

2 people found this review helpful

Shopify Response

Support Specialist

Hi there, thanks so much for your review. I love how you touched on the company's shared mission as far as making an impact and how pivotal that is when it comes to team collaboration. The shared strides towards both company and personal growth, are really what makes the work we do at Shopify so rewarding. I definitely hear you when it comes to the office closures, our offices were amazing additions to our workspaces! The decision to jump into digital by default meant having to do some pivoting but ultimately, we're still able to take advantage of virtual meeting spaces and remain connected with co-workers around the world. Thank you for the great feedback regarding team management. With how fast things move we naturally experience rapid growth and our internal teams doubled as a result, even now that growth continues. Therefore we are actively holding initiatives to help level up and create networks of support and development across our Support Leadership. Thank you again for your thoughts and feedback!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 850 Reviews