Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home while being treated like a regular employee" (in 29 reviews)

• "Great people and great work environment" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creating your healthy work life balance is important" (in 6 reviews)

• "Most Squad leads are very understanding, unfortunately mine was not" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Guru"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is what you make it. The company is solid, there are great benefits and it's a culture of honesty and feedback. You can absolutely grow here if you're good at marketing yourself and making the right connections.

Cons

It can be hard to get noticed if you want to grow out of your current role. The job title isn't awesome.

Advice to Management

Internal hiring needs to be streamlined and consistent.

Shopify Response

26 Jan, 2018 – HR Lead

Hi and thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad to hear that you appreciate the positive and fair work culture we are aiming to grow here at Shopify. I am concerned; however, to... More

"Front End Developer, Toronto"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here almost a year as a developer. I personally think it's the most exciting place to work in Canada and love working here. Here's why:

Meaningful work making an impact to users. The company has a clear goal and you're contributing significantly. You get to make improvements & provide value to the user's lives which is very rewarding.

I've been encouraged to grow in terms of skills. I've learned Ruby on Rails, which I didn't know at all before. I've given a talk in front of a large group & wrote a blog post, neither of which I've ever done before and never imagined I would. This place can really encourage growth & improvement. Even though I'm a front end developer, there have been no issues with me doing some back end work or helping on other projects. It's all on GitHub and open to pull requests (feels like open source within the company).

With thousands of smart & talented people in a culture where they can do amazing things & innovate, amazing products are created. The people here are very talented & helpful. Everyone supports & roots for each other. On Slack, we celebrate each other's accomplishments. Most of the people here could work anywhere. Many come from start ups in Toronto or moved from different parts of the world to work here.

There are many opportunities to get to know others & work with them, for example Fancy Friday lunches once a month where you go to out to lunch with others (paid for by Shopify). Or a system that randomly matches you with others for lunch. Hack Days is another great chance to work with people you don't normally work with.

Even though it's a big company, there is little bureaucracy. There is tons of internal communication where everyone shares what they're doing and everyone can ask any question and get an answer quickly. We're constantly doing things & telling people so that people are inspired & get feedback or help if needed.

Compensation is high with public stock, something many other Canadian tech companies can't offer.

Great offices, food is usually good, house-cleaning perk. Sometimes I come into work and there's someone cooking fresh eggs for you. Book bars where you can borrow some interesting books. Internal podcasts!

Personally, I've never had to work evenings or weekends. Work from home & hours flexibility (can avoid rush hour on subway).

Tooling is great: Github, Slack, with many integrations & reasonable processes. Because there are several cities, there are many cross-location meetings, but with google hangouts & livestream infrastructure it's painless.

Really amazing employee conferences/events like Summit, opportunity to travel to other offices.

Even though there's free beer/wine/drinks, it's not a very drink-heavy culture. There's no obligation to stay late for things like hack days, so I find it very inclusive for those in different life situations. People may have a beer or glass of wine during town-hall meetings, but I haven't seen it ever go too far.

The employee population is diverse by gender, race, age & life situation, although it may skew younger than many larger corporations. Many women in leadership roles.

As with other tech companies, love that we can wear anything to work (shorts, hoodies, t-shirts).

You're always encouraged to give your honest opinion (in a respectful way), even if it challenges others.

If you're a developer, how cool is it that the CEO wrote the original code for this big Rails app that tons of people run their businesses on?

Cons

Growth rate is extremely high. After a few months, many on your team are newer than you. This is both exciting & has challenges. Each team or group can be different or have different processes, so my perspective might not be representative of all experiences working here. I've been here about 1 year and many are newer than me.

There's a good on boarding process but I personally found Ruby on Rails to have a bit of a steep learning curve, coming from a JS background. Having said that, there is a lot of support and I've been able to learn it & contribute.

There are 3 separate buildings in Toronto. The buildings are all nice but one of them is a bit of a walk away from the others, so you may not see people from there as often.

With multiple cities (Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Montreal, SF), groups can feel fractured, but travel, Slack & remote meetings can mitigate this.

Those coming from more traditional companies might experience some culture shock by how casual & laid back it is here, but I think it's pretty standard for a tech & Silicon Valley style company. I've always worked in tech (in Canada) so things like sandals at work or beer at work is not shocking for me personally.

There is a lot of autonomy & freedom which can be good for some, but an adjustment for others. Sometimes you have to find your own work and ways to contribute.

Advice to Management

You've built something special here, thanks!

3. "Great company to work with"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great company to work with. Worked remotely at home.

Cons

On call most of time while working for clients

"Great Experience, Encourages Growth"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits for the work. Not treated like a 'call center employee', work is team-based, and you're encouraged to grow in your role and take on more responsibilities and specialization.

Cons

Work can be draining at times, tons of competition exists for upward promotion. The platform we support is always changing and 'mutating' in new ways, and keeping up with it can be exhausting. That being said, there are tons of resources available. Just don't put in the bare minimum and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

The company's continuing to grow, so keep the great culture and attitude! It can be tough to keep up with changes, and promotion can be tricky, but it's only because they hire excellent people.

"Contents don't match the packaging"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify (Less than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed and friendly work environment
    - Good food
    - Opportunities for personal development (internal ted-style talks, after-work programs and classes)
    - Quarterly hackathons

Cons

- Ideologically inbred

Shopify insists that its very different from a traditional company, but as far as I can tell, they have no concept of the workings of a traditional company. They don't seem to know what works well in a normal company, or why things that don't work, don't work. As a result, they don't know how to do normal things effectively (having meetings, organizing work, etc.).

- Management is not involved or aware.

Managers didn't really know what was going on with our projects and didn't ask, which is good if you're screwing around all day, but bad if you're trying to actually get something done and need their help. The vacuum left by management is filled by informal structures; cliques and popularity contests.

- Feels like high school

Having friends and being popular is extremely important. Your boss won't know if you're doing a good job, but they will know if somebody doesn't like you, or if you're not getting along.

- Lacks diversity

As with most tech companies, most of the people working on the tech side of things are of the same race, gender and age group. While not as bad as other places I've worked, brogrammer culture is very strong. Women and minorities are at a disadvantage.

- Opportunities for advancement are largely illusionary

The company will tout the rich field of opportunities that are available to you, but the management defers to the workers for indications of who should be promoted, which goes back to what I said about the popularity contest. Creativity and innovation are stifled by entrenched workers.

Advice to Management

I'm certain that none of the middle-management will do anything to address the points I've made in the Cons section. They appear to be focused on maintaining the facade that the CEO expects to see; all singing, all dancing, and good vibes all around. I don't blame them, because that's the best way to get by when the sun is shining on your company. Instead, I'll address Toby, the CEO who I feel genuinely cares about the workplace he's created: You need help.

The company needs more leaders. You can't be the only one people look to for all of their cues, or pretty soon, employees will be interpreting your AMA comments like the dead sea scrolls. You need executives and leads who are real leaders; people that make decisions and take responsibility. To get that, you'll need to set expectations for them, and be present to their work. Focus on the work of your managers, and ask your managers to focus on the work of their employees (whereas right now, everyone is focused on you). Let all the other games fall to the side.

Stronger, more diverse teams are built by overcoming adversity together than by having a beer on Fridays. Ask your people to focus on the work, and as they succeed in their mandates, you'll see more genuine bonds between workers, and the blossoming of a more and gratifying work environment.

6. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright people that truly care about the companies mission and product.

Cons

At times, work life balance isn’t quite there.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your merchants and keep valuing your culture as you do. This is truly a special place.

7. "This role requires a large variety of skills"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

great perks, and incredible culture

Cons

Shopify is a fast growing company

8. "A place to do your life's work"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working as a remote Customer Service Guru for Shopify in 2016. I was in love from the first week of training - it instantly felt like a family who really believed in a common goal. There are so many opportunities for growth but in a company of this size and with so many remote employees, YOU need to pursue those goals and own your own professional development. Don't expect to work hard and have someone notice you and pluck you from the crowd for a promotion. After about 3 months of Guru-ing, I applied for a position with a higher level internal team and got it. I've grown immensely since I started working here. I'm constantly amazed by how smart and creative the people I work with are. I would never have thought I'd be in the position I am now when I applied to work as a Guru a couple years ago but I am so grateful for the opportunities I've found here.

Cons

In a huge company like this, you need to pave a way for yourself if you want to advance or be noticed. It's possible but it's definitely not easy. Remote life also can be very challenging, you need a huge amount of self discipline, awareness, and communication skills to succeed as a remote worker.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your remote teams. We often get second class versions of things and it's discouraging, especially for those of us who work with internal people day to day.

9. "Well looked after. Extremely fast growing company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits.
    - Smart and hard working teams across all disciplines
    - very big on staff morale
    - innovative and market leader

Cons

- Company is moving too fast to achieve internal growth at a reasonable timeline.
    - Too many talented people leaving because they can’t achieve a higher paying position.

10. "On The Fence"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, strong team environment, relationships fostered through small teams, actually treat employees like adults/trust them to do their jobs well

Cons

Pay below industry standard with few opportunities for review, very few opportunities to advance regardless of the quality of your work, work can be draining, gurus are sort of a separate wing of the company (few opportunities to interact with or participate in events with the non-support side of the org)

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about advancement at Shopify. Change the 'work hard and you'll get there' message to reflect your company's growing pains. Evaluate the guru role and actively work to make it more sustainable - you can't build a 100 year company by burning through 2-year employees.