Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home while being treated like a regular employee" (in 36 reviews)

• "Super nice work environment, company really care about its employees" (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creating your healthy work life balance is important" (in 9 reviews)

• "you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people)" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Data Science Intern"

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

It was a great place to work and learn

Cons

There could have been better data infrastructure

2. "Shopify"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting, challenging, well paid, rewarding, smart people

Cons

Not a real downside IMO, but everyone is expected to take a lot of responsibility. Job roles are very fuzzy

"Plus employee in Waterloo Office"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- High-quality catered breakfast and lunch every day, along with great snacks and coffee.

-- Incredible offices in Waterloo with a gaming lounge, a fully-equipped music studio, a fitness studio, and more.

-- Amazing co-workers who force you to up your game.

-- A sense of doing big things in the world.

-- High level of autonomy and trust.

Cons

-- Really easy to lose work-life balance and break. Not built for the insecure or those who want to clock in at 9 and clock out at 5.

-- Big (and arguably needed) shift over the last year from internal promotions to external hires in leadership positions. For better or for worse, there's now a glass ceiling.

-- Plus specifically is still figuring out how to transition from a start-up vibe to a more structured environment without losing the culture. Choppy waters occasionally.

-- Some co-workers are incredibly entitled about the food, their career path, their role expectations, and so on. This isn't a millennial thing, it's a having-it-too-good-for-too-long thing.

Advice to Management

We appreciate all the work you do to try and keep the culture in place as we scale. Please continue doing that.

I know it's somewhere on the map, but non-leadership career paths are needed ASAP. Myself and others are bumping up against the glass ceiling and looking elsewhere for the next step in our development.

"Alright."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, AMAZING SQUADMATES.
    5 word minimum so AMAZING SQUADMATES x2 :D

Cons

It was good, and then it got bad, and then it got worse. Most negative posts on here summarize it quite well already. There are promises of things getting better in 2019 so I am riding out that hope at the moment. If nothing changes though I'll likely be gone in a few months unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Please stop dismissing guru concerns and feedback. The only way things will change is if there is intention and action based on the concerns you are hearing. Also after being told we're appreciated 16 times a day, every day - the phrase has about -2 meaning or impact. It's basically an insult that you expect us to feel any satisfaction by that at this point. Things need to CHANGE, and not in the direction they've been heading.

5. "guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home
    benefits
    encouragement for growth

Cons

No major downsides to working at Shopify that i can think of,

"A job that is both fulfilling and exhausting"

Current Employee - Guru in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Guru in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and lead - the Squad feels like a family and I've made so many new friends this year. I always feel like someone out there has my back.
    Nice benefits - full health coverage, and a $5000 spending account
    Opportunities to help people and find meaning in your job
    Grow your communication skills and build empathy
    If you get a good lead, they can really help you grow as a person and do things you never knew you could. My lead, for example, was really able to pinpoint exactly what I needed to work on, and this helped me improve and gain mastery of myself even outside of work.

The public and the media currently has a very favourable view of this company , which is always a perk. If you wear company swag in public , people will often come talk to you about it.

The company *tries* (or purports to try ) to help employees keep good mental health

Cons

The 10 personal days they give you seem like a lot at the beginning of the year, but when you realize you never get long weekends, stat holidays or Christmas holidays, it really seems like not enough. The exhausting nature of the job means you will get sick more often. If that happens even twice a year, you may have used up all your year's sick days, and that doesn't even count doctor's appointments, needing to go to the bank, family responsibilities or just needing a mental health day.

The training materials and guru-facing documentation make it seem like the company wants to treat us as humans, but the workforce planning people and the company ultimately see us as numbers. That discrepancy can lead to feelings of disillusionment, cynicism.

The platform has changed so much that the amount of issues we are expected to support is completely unreasonable. Especially POS hardware. Try troubleshooting a barcode printer that you've never seen or touched in your life - sound like fun?

Whether or not you can ever move out of the guru role seems like a very nebulous topic. I've seen people get promoted, but it's not clear to me why, and almost seems like a crapshoot. If you do take on this job, be prepared for the fact that if you want to grow you may have to move to another company.

Advice to Management

Change your training material's tone to be more adult, more tempered and more reasonable. It's okay if not everything is sunshine and rainbows all the time, and it just makes you look dumb.

Give rewards to tenured gurus to make them feel appreciated. It wouldn't even take that much- a long weekend here and there, an extra vacation day - just to make the job seem less exhausting. If there's no hope that it will get better if you stay in the company longer, it really feels like a dead end job at times.

7. "Software Developer"

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lots of nice folks, friendly atmosphere. Challenging work.

Cons

The feel is a bit corporate, the roles are focused on very narrow problems.

8. "Great environment"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, people, products... I love being a part of this group of smart, talented and passionate people!

Cons

Not for everyone, it is a company that moves quickly and expects a lot but gives a lot in return.

9. "Great Canadian company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and generally supportive of professional development.

Cons

It’s a rapidly evolving, high-growth company which means there’s usually not any lulls in your work. It’s definitely a good thing but you need to be conscious of taking time for yourself to catch a breath.

"Don't believe what you hear/ read (unless it's negative)."

Former Employee - Customer Service Guru
    Former Employee - Customer Service Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started so great when I was hired a couple years back, but things have changed and will never go back to being good so no use in mentioning the good ol' days. The intentions of management in this company have changed drastically, specifically towards gurus and support. Sure, cool benefits, but please spare yourself the stress this place will cause you that you will waste your benefits on.

Cons

Where to begin. It's not reasonable to write out all the small daily problems happening daily here, but overall lately it's a total lack of consideration and respect. To anyone who's thinking 'well that's the way the world works and how companies are these days and bottom line is everything' - I get it. The problem here is that Shopify preaches otherwise and tries to paint a very different picture of how this company actually values you and your work. Shopify had the opportunity to be better than accepting the status quo for call center environments - toxic morale, high stress and high turnover, responsibilities piling as our platform integrates with more and more on the internet - and that was silly wishful thinking on my part. In the end, saving pennies will be their intention despite the role getting 3x as complex since I started. Raises are non existent or equal to/below inflation. You are constantly being told corporate lines to make us think one way and deflect us from the decisions being made that are making this job unmanageable and gurus suffer daily. I used to be such a lover of Shopify and wanted it to be my forever company but everything is going downhill here. Morale, our stock price, our employee numbers. We get announcements boasting about how much money Shopify is making and processing in GMV, and somehow when we ask about our paywe are met with judgement of being entitled and comments of 'how can we NOT be happy here' - it's the wonderful place of Shopify so if we don't like it we can reevaluate if it's the right place for us. Trying to make any negative feelings heard is only an uphill battle. First you will be told you are just making these things up and no one else but you actually feels this way and to change your attitude. Then you will talk to your squadmates and realize you are all feeling exactly this way. You will then be told you are a toxic squad that is spreading these feelings to the rest of gurus, and the intention to keep making gurus feel like they are the problem continues. Any hardship Shopify puts on their employees is expected to be managed by the employee by just doing 'more self care' or 'changing your attitude'. Notions like this are being abused to make gurus feel like they are inadequate for the job.

Advice to Management

You are smart people making poor decisions. They may be seemingly good for Shopify, but I can't put into words the negative impact you are having on your employees. Honestly such a nightmare and gurus are leaving the company by the handful every week it seems. So sad to see how my fellow gurus that work so hard are being negatively effected by this company. I know we all have incredible skill sets that are valuable in the market and we will all have no issues finding a job beyond this place. It's Shopify's loss honestly - it's funny how some of the top management in that company started as gurus, yet now they wouldn't spend a extra dime on retaining a committed tenured guru who knows the (very complex) platform inside and out... really prioritizing our merchant's experience first there. Not.