Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Pros
  • Work from home/ excellent teammmates / room for advancement / fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Fun work environment with some really great people who are passionate about what they do (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment itself is great though (in 6 reviews)

"Awesome company, cares about employees"

Pros

Great autonomy, smart people, incredible offices/perks. Work is inspiring

Cons

Growing very fast, hard to know everyone and experiencing growing pains

2. "Great work environment, team, and growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your role at Shopify is yours for the making. Which is truly the best part of the company culture. Shopify values, and encourages the growth of their employees. They offer great perks, salaries and benefits.

Incredibly talented R&D team, and great vision by Tobi and the leadership.

Cons

As with any growth company, there are bound to be growing pains. During my time at Shopify the Product team was a work in progress. Often cycling through leadership, they struggled to implement Product Managers into R&D teams, and often promoted employees who weren't equipped for the role.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your senior leadership team, as the company continues to grow, the senior members will need to play a more vital role.

3. "People rich enough not to work 9-5 still choose to work here."

Pros

Freedom of choice under a diverse culture focused on delivering value to customers. Exceptional respect among people. I've never seen a more respectful group of people anywhere.

Exceptional leaders and cross discipline talent. The best of Canadian talent can be found here. We're lucky to be working somewhere that is so passion and purpose driven with a fair reward system that measures based on impact.

Many people rich enough not to work 9-5 still choose to work here.

No doubt the best place in Canada, especially for those who just want to do what they do best, keep sharpening their craft, and do it all under a rewarding and free environment that truly gives you all you need. You decide how you want to shape your career here.

Cons

It will take at least 6 months to navigate people and groups due to the size we're at now, especially if you're in management.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring exceptional talent and make sure existing top performers are appreciated and rewarded.

5. "Best place to grow."

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has great structure on developing the skills you want to attain.

Cons

You gain a lot of weight working in the office from the awesome free food.

6. "<3"

I have been working at Shopify (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership who care, emphasis on growth and development from day one, programs to help you get the most out of working at Shopify like leadership training, emphasis on caring about yourself and wellbeing

Cons

dogs in the office some days

7. "Amazing place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Huge emphasize of development with a bunch of internal programs and resources available to learn and grow.
    - Still retain a lot of a "move fast" culture from startups, not bogged down by process
    - People are insanely smart
    - Perks

Cons

- Due to the high bar, there can be pressure to succeed. But Shopify is very self aware of this sort of tension and actively encourages open discussion about this.
    - Not objectively a con but: very self driven company, you need to be be extremely self directed to succeed here. This may be a pro for some people.

Advice to Management

Continue letting people do what they do best and trusting them. Continue to be transparent about everything that is going on.

"What Diversity?"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visionary CEO. Countless opportunities to learn and move around the organization. The perks are undeniable.

Cons

...BUT it blows my mind just how little diversity there is here and frankly there really are no excuses especially here in Toronto (or anywhere in Canada for that matter). It looks like Senior Management is finally beginning to clue in and I'm noticing a push from them to build a more inclusion-centric culture. But how this can be done without the necessary internal diversity, I have no clue. I hope I'm not being naive but I'm (grudgingly) optimistic that things will improve in the long term. I've noticed their attempts to grow a team around Inclusion. Fingers crossed we see more people of colour join that team so they can truly create a work environment that is more in line with what the Canadian tech industry can and should look like.

Advice to Management

Making commerce better for everyone just won't be possible until this issue is addressed.

"Good perks, bad culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Based on my limited research, appears to pay above market, and has some perks that are less common in the region.

Cons

The company is very much a monoculture, and lacks a lot of diversity (in terms of gender and race). There is often a large difference between the values that it touts, and the expectations that are held. There is a lot of opportunity to make change... but only if you can navigate the various barriers and implicit constraints.

Advice to Management

Work on improving culture, and stop worrying about 'what other companies do'. I think that one of the reasons that there is a huge lack of diversity is because our culture isn't substantially different from any other tech company's/].

"Shopify Guru Position"

Current Employee - Shopify Guru in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Shopify Guru in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great salary, amazing benefits and very positive working environment Can work from home.

Cons

no real negative cons about the company. Working weekends and nights is a downside but most employees don't mind the hours and the rotation is reasonable.

Advice to Management

Management is friendly and courteous of your learning styles. They set reasonable goals and set up expectations based on your strengths. They want the company to grow and for you to embody that sense of inclusion within the company as well.

"horrible leadership"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it's fun at first, but a lot of the perks lose their shine after a little while
    nice coworkers
    nice facility
    good gear
    good company values (in theory)

Cons

leadership is bad, especially smaller team leads
    a lot of promises are made that aren't delivered on
    no clear expectations for teams/roles
    difficult to find a mentor
    little to no work-life balance

Advice to Management

get rid of leads who are not interested in developing their people, and only interested in making themselves look good to their VP.