Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home while being treated like a regular employee" (in 34 reviews)

• "Super nice work environment, company really care about its employees" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Creating your healthy work life balance is important" (in 8 reviews)

• "No cons, wonderful place to work" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is what you make it. The company is solid, there are great benefits and it's a culture of honesty and feedback. You can absolutely grow here if you're good at marketing yourself and making the right connections.

Cons

It can be hard to get noticed if you want to grow out of your current role. The job title isn't awesome.

Advice to Management

Internal hiring needs to be streamlined and consistent.

Shopify Response

26 Jan, 2018 – HR Lead

Hi and thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I am glad to hear that you appreciate the positive and fair work culture we are aiming to grow here at Shopify. I am concerned; however, to... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time off
    Great teams
    Lots of growth opportunities and resources

Cons

Schedule is as it is a bit more flexibility would be awesome for parents

Rotating schedule you will work weekends

3. "Best company in the world"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Level of trust in employees
    Tons of flexibility in work location and hours
    Work on interesting products and problems that have impact
    Shopify strongly invests in the development of their employees

Cons

No cons in my opinion

Advice to Management

I love the culture that you build in the company and I hope our company culture lasts 100 years

4. "Software Engineer Intern Review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing work culture.
    - Great internal tools and infrastructure.
    - Friendly co-workers.
    - Fantastic learning experience.

Cons

- Could have helped cover more of my transportation fees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Customer Success Guru - Not worth the stress or the BS"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great perks and benefits
    - Work from home
    - Wonderful team bonding, peers are great people
    - Highly talented employees
    - Excellent on-boarding program
    - Can learn a lot about e-commerce, speaking to customers, and communication skills if you're willing to put up with the Cons

Cons

- Very difficult to move out of the customer support guru position. The number of people in this role has increased dramatically and as a result, competition is steep and it's difficult to get visibility. The job applications for other roles involve projects that take hours of your own time to do, and end up just providing free work to the team you apply for, while you get dismissed over and over again. This happened to multiple talented people I worked with.
    - Day to day is very stressful; customer support can be very emotionally taxing, and the structure of the role makes it worse. This role was damaging to my mental and physical health over the long term.
    - You are micro-managed, and quality score metrics are tracked aggressively. They know when you're online, when you go to the bathroom, how long it took between calls... Every word you say is monitored, both over chat support and phone support. Do not get into this role if you value autonomy. I felt patronized and treated like a child.
    -Management doesn't show any real desire to make the working conditions less stressful. There are internal support groups available for people who "break", but it's a bandaid solution. "Breaking" happens to people often enough that it was talked about at length at conferences, and in other panel sessions with management. It was typically normalized by management, considered part of working for a fast-paced, growing company.
    - There was a "culty" vibe to the place. Some may like that, some may not. I got the impression that the culture had been carefully engineered, and that employees are emotionally manipulated to avoid criticizing the company in certain ways. All the negative feedback is twisted and turned around - Shopify likes to call this "reframing". It's a shame because I think the code of conduct / company values are excellent on paper, and try to promote transparency and the sharing of dissenting ideas. It did not translate to the team I was on.

Advice to Management

Take the complaints you receive from your support groups more seriously. I expect people will get wise about the Guru role and turnover will increase. Perhaps you've decided the turnover doesn't matter to the bottom line, but your disrespect for the employees that make up a huge chunk of your workforce will end up hurting the company in the end.

Let it be clear - I was a die hard fan of Shopify upon starting my position. I have never loved a company more. After leaving training, I became disenchanted, and not because of the fast paced workday, but because I smelled BS and I have no tolerance for it.

I really do think Shopify has a great business model and I agree with a lot of what the CEO stands for; it's a shame that my experience was not very positive.

"Great Place to Work"

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

- company provides you with equipment (laptop, monitor, headset, keyboard, mouse)
    - excellent health insurance + perks
    - focus is on small teams

Cons

- no access to toronto office
    - sometimes there isn't much communication between upper management and the rest of the support team

7. "A place for kids. Complete mess of a company."

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great office, decent lunch, and some empathetic, good hearted people

Cons

Entitled millennials, incredibly inexperienced leads and directors who are not even aware of it, politics, egotistical coworkers, and some serious lack of structure.

Think of a glossy magazine that looks great on the outside but has garbage trash content on the inside. Inexperienced people will not be able to see underneath the glittering surface and will leave glowing reviews here but this was the worst managed mess of a company I’ve ever worked at. New people who actually know what they are doing are handcuffed with the equity deal and muzzled by politics from the OGs.

They say they celebrate individuality, and authenticity but you’re ultimately expected to behave a certain way to be part of this cult, otherwise you won’t fit in.

It’s sickeningly disappointing that how they are portrayed in the media is an exact opposite of how they actually operate. Their external interfacing layer (HR, PR, Medium articles, and conference talks) does a good job of maintaining a facade on this clown show on the outside. Kudos to them for the magic show.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting clueless people. Don’t make false claims as part of your ‘culture’ when the exact opposite is true. Learn to assess your candidates better.

8. "Sales"

Pros

Great place to work -- free food, free books

Cons

Some times I found people lazy

"Software Engineer"

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, lots of fringe benefits, good salary.

Cons

Company shows signs of growing too fast. Feedback was not direct and it was difficult to know how you were doing in the eyes of management.

"Talent Acquisition Lead"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a certain 'heart' to this company that is like no other. I am given permission to be my authentic self, learn, grow, fall down and get up again; All the while being supported and valued.

I have been with Shopify for almost 3 years and there is no ceiling to my growth here. I started as a Customer Success Guru (like many others) and have been given so much opportunity to grow both personally and professionally.

This place is not for everyone, but it is certainly for me :)

Cons

Although the culture is incredible, there is a certain under current of the 'go go go' that can become daunting overtime. It is important to focus on work life balance in order to not drain yourself and really be here for the longterm.