Shopify Reviews

Updated Jan 26, 2021

4.2
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 64 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review

"Fastest, biggest game in town. Once in a lifetime phase of growth."

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Shopify is at the top of the Canadian technology scene. Smart, performance oriented, crazy sustained growth means you will see things you can’t see anywhere else. This is how the big companies you know about happened and it’s happening to a Canadian company. You can help. Wins matter in this business and Shopify is winning.

Cons

Pace and growth rate mean even though the company has the best of intentions, often challenges happen because no one has solved issues yet. Sometimes it’s fun being in the rocket but sometimes the g-forces can get you.

Continue reading

Shopify Response

October 7, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback! I can understand your comments about the pace and growth of Shopify. Changes can definitely be challenging. Practicing self awareness and learning to become comfortable with uncertainty can help you thrive in this environment. Our values are the behaviours that are seen in people who are successful at Shopify, but they exist in the context of each person’s team. For example, we value being impactful, but acting alone leads to limited impact. It’s only by working with others that leads to building the best products for our merchants. Again, thank you for your feedback!

2. "Genuine company that cares for its merchants (customers) as well as employees, alike!"

Current Employee - Junior Support Advisor in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Great positive teams and trainers 2. Monthly budget allocation for books and reading material you'd like to purchase for personal or professional development and growth 3. Free work laptop, hugh 27" Dell monitor keyboard, mouse, USB C to HDMI adapter etc. Company lets you keep everything even after you stop working for the firm; only return laptop for security reasons 4. Fun place to work, fun people to work with 5. Great work life balace 6. They genuinely care about you, and in turn you learn to genuinely care about the customers (CX) 7. This is a company where anyone can do anything! Start off in CX support .. move into HR, IT, Finance, Data Analytics, Software Development, etc. If you excel in your current role and want to switch roles.. the company sponsors your education of bridging courses from local universities/colleges that prep you for your new role. Shopify is like a university in itself; a gigantic learning hub for anyone that wants to!

Cons

Can't think of any. But keep your lines of communication open with your lead/traininer. They are there to help you, but in a work from home scenario its not difficult for a misunderstanding to prop up. Then it tests your ability to turn the situation in your favour. As long as you are honest about how you spend the time during working hours and stay on top of your work, you will keep moving forward. Not a "Con" per say.. just something to keep in mind. This company is more rewarding that most others out there I have seen, and I have lived on 4 continents in the last 15years :-)

Continue reading

3. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice, smart, humble Amazing salary, perks, allowances and health benefits Work life balance is superb

Cons

Too many changes in the team structures Things can be a little slow sometimes

4. "Great summer job"

Former Employee - Junior Support Advisor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, great to be able to work from home, learned a lot!

Cons

Steep learning curve and long training program - however, this was beneficial in the long run

5. "Amazing place"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Nice environment; * People extremely smart and nice; * Complex Challenges; * Nice remuneration; * Amazing perks;

Cons

* Hard to grow into senior leadership positions;

6. "Short headline?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Great mentorship, Pay is good

Cons

There was nothing particularly bad

7. "Most flexible company"

Current Employee - Data Science Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cares about you and supports you, great salary

Cons

Many changes in the organization at frequent intervals

8. "Work is always dynamic; lots of complicated stuff to work on"

Current Employee - Front End Developer Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great communication throughout company; making information available easily is a company value

Cons

Company went fully remote last year and is still learning how to manage a fully remote workforce

9. "Fantastic company"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great company overall. Plenty of benefits.

Cons

None that I can really think of.

10. "Futuristic company"

Current Employee - Support Advisor in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home. Very supportive culture with promotes learning and development

Cons

No cons in my experience.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 686 English Reviews