Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 13 December, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 20 reviews)

• Compassionate and supportive work environment that stimulates individual growth (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment itself is great though (in 7 reviews)

• you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ridiculously Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Support Lead in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Support Lead in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of Shopify, by far, is the people. Shopify is full of incredibly kind and brilliant people who have no ego. I've had interesting conversations with people at Shopify several times only to later find out that they're a leading expert in that field. It's a group of people who enjoy having fun, who want to be the best at what they do, and who want to help everyone else do those things too.

I started at Shopify as a Guru and have worked in several areas before becoming a Senior Support Lead. The amount you can learn here is incredible; in 5 years I've learned:
    - How to program in Ruby/Rails
    - How to be more self-aware
    - How to effectively lead a team & help those on my team learn/grow
    - Good techniques for finding the best solutions to complex/complicated problems
    - tons more

The culture at Shopify is also amazing, you are encouraged to learn and grow, without being pushed to a degree that destroys work/life balance. People are encouraged to experiment, and it's understood that when trying something new, you're gonna suck at it for a while.

Cons

Shopify, Support especially, had a rough time with salaries in the past. This is almost entirely better (and constantly improving), but there is merit to the gripes people have had about salaries, especially in the pre-2016 reviews.

Because Shopify tends to hire really interesting and fun people, it's easy to wind up with almost all your friends working at Shopify too. This is not because of effects like at Google where everything is paid for by the office so you never leave the office; it's simply that you end up wanting to spend time mostly with people from Shopify. That can cause you to lose perspective on how privileged you are and what it's like elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This culture is incredibly valuable, please keep it going as we grow (I'm not worried it's going away, but it's my biggest piece of advice)

Shopify Response

27 Jun, 2017 – Tobi Lutke, CEO of Shopify

This kind of review is great, not because it suggests that everything is perfect at Shopify, but because it suggests people are using their time here exactly the way we hoped they would; to learn... More

2. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's almost no limit to the impact you can have and the things you can learn, as long as you're driving those things yourself.

Cons

It is not a small company anymore. With so many things happening at once, not every important decision can be made by consensus anymore. You have to just accept some things. Generally shopify is very good at explaining and discussing big decisions though.

3. "Best place to work (but really)"

Current Employee - Content Strategist in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Content Strategist in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues, positive atmosphere to spend so many hours in, and best of all, super challenging problems to solve. Growth and learning opportunities are also everywhere. One of my favourite things is that people are always willing to explain something to you or grab a coffee and chat, even if they’ve never met you before.

Cons

Struggling to come up with any :). It can sometimes be hard to collaborate closely with or get to know teams in other offices (which are in different cities). There are also lots of in-person conversations that happen in the office, so it would be tough to be a remote employee.

Advice to Management

Keep being purposeful and sharing your thoughts openly with us.

5. "Great company"

Pros

Great guru squads. Very nice environment.

Cons

None. This job was great.

6. "Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is what you make it. The company is solid, there are great benefits and it's a culture of honesty and feedback. You can absolutely grow here if you're good at marketing yourself and making the right connections.

Cons

It can be hard to get noticed if you want to grow out of your current role. The job title isn't awesome.

Advice to Management

Internal hiring needs to be streamlined and consistent.

"Front End Developer"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture
    Large scale
    Tons of projects
    Very talented people
    Offices are awesome
    Lots of room for growth
    Flexible hours
    World class technology
    ...

Cons

Since it's growing a lot lately feels like getting promoted is becoming harder and harder. Specially with a bunch of efforts to hire senior/leads instead of promoting people that are in the company for a long time.

"Treated like an adult"

Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Funny title but you know it’s true. I’ve worked a lot of different places and a common theme I see is that employees are not entrusted with much. Not at Shopify, because here you encouraged to make mistakes as long as you learn from them. Since the growth is so rapid, there is so much opportunity to contribute.

Cons

Not for everyone which is why the recruiting process is very intentional and methodological. This isn’t a true con, but it’s something to need to be aware of. If you are not comfortable with change or seeing things differently with new perspectives then it may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Seek out leads across Shopify for mentorship who embody our spirit and values, then imitate them. There are many great leaders to choose from!

"A place to grow both yourself and your skills"

Current Employee - Support Leadership in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Support Leadership in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Shopify for over 4 years now but the impact it has had on my development both personal and professional as been so much more.

Between the challenging problems we get to solve, the incredible mentors within the company, book suggestions, coaches, and even the ability to build your own department if you have an idea that works (which is what I did), Shopify doesn't see a ceiling to your growth and always pushes you to be your best self.

Cons

Work life balance is tough, but it is within your control. I have come to realize as a lead when I tell my people to go home, we don't work extra hours because we have to, 98% of the time its because we care so deeply, love what we are doing and want to. Personally, I really don't mind that :)

Advice to Management

I think a lot of things in management have improved dramatically within the last year. My biggest piece of advice would be to continue to prioritize building communication, change management and people skills. As we continue to grow, having people that feel cared about on an individual level will become even more important.

10. "Customer Service"

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lovely people to work with

Cons

Remote working isn't for everyone

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, amazing culture and colleagues. Many opportunities for advancement, fantastic perks and benefits.

Cons

Can be isolating to work remotely but it's what you make of it. The perks far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work