Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke

Pros
  • Work from home/ excellent teammmates / room for advancement / fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Fun work environment with some really great people who are passionate about what they do (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 5 reviews)

• The work environment itself is great though (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great work environment.

Cons

Every job has a con, but Shopify's cons are very different depending on the person. No one area stands out as being bad for everyone.

"A good place to work, as long as you don't talk salary"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A healthy work environment, amazing coworkers, freedom to be yourself, and to be creative. Perks and benefits are good. Flexible working hours and vacation days.

Cons

Salary isn't that great even within Canada. And that (actually money in general) is a big taboo for Shopify's HR department. That's specially harmful for unrepresented groups and women in tech, cause due to the complete lack of data, fail to understand the huge gap that exists in Shopify in terms of salary and compensation.

Management is usually a pain to because leads are in general not prepared for the role, and fail to give employees space to grow.

Advice to Management

HR: it's okay to talk about money. You don't need to disclose all the salaries of all the employees individually, but sharing grouped data on LOI and demographics is essential if you really want to develop inclusiveness in this company. I understand that right now the numbers are terrible and shameful, I get it, but acknowledging the problem is the first brave step towards a solution.

3. "Great company, great experience"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Performance based on impact
    Constant learning
    Incredible growth
    Treat their employees well and allow you to voice your opinion.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment that forces you to keep up. You need to hustle and thrive in ambiguity, definitely not for everyone.

"Great Canadian company"

Current Employee - Remote Guru in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Remote Guru in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at Shopify are the best, not only at what they do, but it's like working with your best buddies. Don't get me wrong, we work hard, but being surrounded with like-minded individuals is fantastic.

Cons

It can be a bit stressful, there's always a lot of change, but if you're okay with organized chaos you will succeed

"A growing company with a startup culture!"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an energizing and engaging workplace. Lots of intelligent and open individuals work here and they all seem to be genuinely committed to building the Shopify product and making it the best it can be. Committed to inclusion in the workplace and making everyone feel comfortable at work so they are able to perform at their best.

Cons

Along with growth comes a sense of disconnectedness (I see it creeping-in) as opposed to a interconnected startup feel that they company started with.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain that interconnected startup culture as well as hiring from more diverse markets to further boost the diversity of the company... also keep hiring great people!

"Amazing Company - I just worked in the wrong department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People outside the department I worked in we're amazing. They were supportive, professional, and just all around amazing people. The work load is a bit overwhelming at times but then you have slow times as well so it balances out.

Cons

In the department I was in I felt like the leads were awful people. There were obvious moments were I was treated grossly unfair to the point other people in other departments noticed. I felt harassed and bullied at work. The managers and many people knew of this but did nothing to stop it.

I feel like the company shouldn't be judged by a particular set of people and it's unfortunate that this is my out look on the company now as many people within shopify are amazing. The reason I feel like the company is to blame is due to the reason that managers were aware and did nothing to stop it. I feel like I did everything in my power to alert the people in charge of the gross mistreatment I was put under. It was to the point that at one time my lead personally attacked my character and laughed about me openly with another co worker.

Advice to Management

While you do an outstanding job of hiding some of the best talent, I feel there are some people that fall through the cracks that are awful. I understand that it's hard to spot the bullies but when many see the bullying and nothing is being done by managers then something needs to be done.

"Great work environment, team, and growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your role at Shopify is yours for the making. Which is truly the best part of the company culture. Shopify values, and encourages the growth of their employees. They offer great perks, salaries and benefits.

Incredibly talented R&D team, and great vision by Tobi and the leadership.

Cons

As with any growth company, there are bound to be growing pains. During my time at Shopify the Product team was a work in progress. Often cycling through leadership, they struggled to implement Product Managers into R&D teams, and often promoted employees who weren't equipped for the role.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your senior leadership team, as the company continues to grow, the senior members will need to play a more vital role.

"What Diversity?"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visionary CEO. Countless opportunities to learn and move around the organization. The perks are undeniable.

Cons

...BUT it blows my mind just how little diversity there is here and frankly there really are no excuses especially here in Toronto (or anywhere in Canada for that matter). It looks like Senior Management is finally beginning to clue in and I'm noticing a push from them to build a more inclusion-centric culture. But how this can be done without the necessary internal diversity, I have no clue. I hope I'm not being naive but I'm (grudgingly) optimistic that things will improve in the long term. I've noticed their attempts to grow a team around Inclusion. Fingers crossed we see more people of colour join that team so they can truly create a work environment that is more in line with what the Canadian tech industry can and should look like.

Advice to Management

Making commerce better for everyone just won't be possible until this issue is addressed.

10. "Best place to grow."

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has great structure on developing the skills you want to attain.

Cons

You gain a lot of weight working in the office from the awesome free food.

11. "Amazing place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Huge emphasize of development with a bunch of internal programs and resources available to learn and grow.
    - Still retain a lot of a "move fast" culture from startups, not bogged down by process
    - People are insanely smart
    - Perks

Cons

- Due to the high bar, there can be pressure to succeed. But Shopify is very self aware of this sort of tension and actively encourages open discussion about this.
    - Not objectively a con but: very self driven company, you need to be be extremely self directed to succeed here. This may be a pro for some people.

Advice to Management

Continue letting people do what they do best and trusting them. Continue to be transparent about everything that is going on.