Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 386 reviews

3.8
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Work from home, and the benefits(in 39 reviews)

• "Great benefits, you can make a lot of good friends, working remotely is nice(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rotating 6 week schedule with weekend shifts but most gurus adjust to the flow(in 17 reviews)

• "Creating your healthy work life balance is important(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great growth mindset: learn, grow as fast as you can. Books, conference, training, etc: you own your own development - growth: growing company equal lots of opportunities to improve the platform - fast paced environment and hard problems with huge impact: if you like to solve problems, meaningful problems for millions of buyers and merchants this is the place to go! - no short term vision: we are here to build a 100...

Cons

- growth: there is no user manual and things change quickly. Lots of new people and an ever changing environment. - self motivated environment: no hard deadlines and there is no end to make commerce better.

Advice to Management

- keep the culture of openness and transparence - have teams présent their work more often to senior management to show your interest

Shopify2019-03-02
  2. "Fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great additional benefits that start from day one. Seems like the company really wants to take care of its employees.

Cons

Working from home can be difficult due to solitude.

Shopify2019-05-16
  3. "Not for the faint of heart"

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Dynamic environment, complex and interesting culture and plenty of growth opportunities for people who are the right fit.

Cons

Lots of pressure to deliver, lots of changes and ambiguity Not everyone can thrive in a pressure cooker.

Advice to Management

Keep the vision going.

Shopify2019-05-08
  4. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Culture of excellence and great perks

Cons

I cannot think of any major cons. This is a great corporation to work for.

Shopify2019-05-07
  5. "Support Manager"

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and learn.

Cons

Young and inexperienced leadership at all levels in the org.

Shopify2019-05-05
  6. "A great first step"

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Being a Shopify Guru teaches you valuable skills that are desired in the greater tech space. It's a great job for a go-getter fresh out of university who likes a challenging environment.

Cons

If you're looking to move up the ranks, look somewhere else. It's really competitive and just getting more so as the company grows.

Shopify2019-05-05
  7. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Mental Health is very important to them so it is a safe space to talk openly about struggles and receive support from peers. You have the freedom to fully be yourself which creates a nice work environment.

Cons

As a remote employee I don't get the opportunity for casual breaks of conversation with coworkers. All breaks are monitored, so there isn't much room to relax and it feels like you are always working which can lead to major burnout.

Shopify2019-05-04

"Learning Designer"

Former Employee - Learning Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Lots of freedom, lots of perks, lots of opportunities, great variety of people, very conscious of diversity and inclusion, great culture

Cons

lack of direction from my leads about what was expected of me, lack of vision from my leads around what the team needed to do, lack of communication around performance management, lack of support from my leads when I was having personal issues, lack of experience from my leads around people management.

Advice to Management

Train your middle management. They are inexperienced leads who do not have the support and vision for where their program needs to go and they lack the skills to support and develop the people that they are managing. Be decisive in removing the managers and leads who are doing a poor job.

Shopify2019-04-25
  9. "Good place"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture and they make attempts to unite remote works from time to time.

Cons

Be prepared to be stressed out from work

Shopify2019-05-01

"Be careful of the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great benefits and perks. An amazing CEO. A good name to have on your resume. Good potential for growth in the some roles/depts. Probably a great place to work if you're a developer without a lot of experience or right out of school. Also a good place to work if you find value in working hard and moving through big amounts of work and are not particularly focused on results or problem solving. I think pretty much all...

Cons

The company is going through very fast growth and some depts have serious issues with very bad management due to having to fill roles quickly. The company also doesn't follow it's own policies so you need to be very careful if you do end up with a bad lead, there is a line in your employment contract that says you can be terminated at any point without cause, this is likely to be used to terminate you if you raise issues...

Advice to Management

Take some time to make sure your own policies and procedures are being followed and when they aren't (because they aren't) find out why and hold people accountable. Take more notice of what is happening lower down in depts and find ways to ensure that the managers of departments are doing their jobs correctly.

Shopify2019-04-16