Shopify Reviews

Found 1,124 of over 1,301 reviews

4.3
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Shopify

Join the conversation on

Tech

82.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Shopify~675933
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Really exceptional place to work

Nov 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I moved to Canada to join Shopify roughly 5 years ago and I'm very glad I did. So far, I've managed about a dozen talented people and I've reported to two very thoughtful and supportive managers. I've also found the opportunities to grow, both in terms of personally and my career, are abundant and easy to come by *if* you're proactive. Compensation is very competitive, too. The work itself will obviously depend on your role—I work in marketing and find it challenging and interesting. Shopify benefits from the fact that its primary customer base, up-and-coming entrepreneurs, are a great audience to work with; they're easy to appreciate and the fact that our work helps them have a better chance at independence means something to me. This might not be so important for other people, but it is to me. I suppose at a 10k+ person company part of your experience is determined by the smaller teams you end up on. So, take the praise as a general assessment of Shopify but specifically to the Growth Org because that's the only department I've worked in. Best growth team on the planet! My two managers have been great, too. I work hard but I have never been asked to show face or work on something outside of normal working hours—ever. Department leadership is good, too. There's a very transparent culture and our leads do a great job of communicating what the strategy is and what our priorities are.

Cons

"Cons" should probably be specific to the company, but all I can think of are things I'd expect to see at any company that is experiencing rapid growth. E.g., there are lots of small re-orgs (annoying, but necessary), things change frequently, tentpole moments like Black Friday can result in busy weeks, too many meetings. And lots of planning and internal communication is required to be successful here (less so at a small company). Back in 2020, I think some of the senior leaders were starting to realize that the company growth had outpaced them a bit. E.g., there were some

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Grow your tech skills but don't stay long

Sep 22, 2021 - Software Developer Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There are so many technical problems to solve that you will always be able to tackle something interesting - Shopify is mostly full of really great supportive people. You will very easily find people that will be your friends for life and while it is hard to find a good job, it is harder to find a good team. I think in Shopify, this is more common. - Shopify does have lots of room to learn and grow as a developer (unless you’re a FED)

Cons

To work at Shopify, you have to be okay with the fact that part of your paycheck will come from gun paraphernalia and far-right propaganda merchandise shops who use that money to fuel their ambitions, all while at the same time having leadership give 1-hour conference talks about how commerce and Shopify are morally good and that Shopify is good for society. Which I am sure for a lot of people is fine, and may start off fine as well, but it can also get very tiring over time as you see one thing and then leadership tells you another. Here are some of my main feelings about this company. - It is always very obvious when leadership decides to not address something that they don’t like, which they often do, and often about very important things like compensation or attrition. Usually, they will not be able to answer questions and dodge them, and then suddenly every single person in leadership suddenly has the exact same answer about how this new change that you think is negative, is actually positive. Compensation is actually the best in the industry (when it proveably is not) - Backward promotion. I suppose these are common but still a criticism. To get promotions or raise, you will have had to do the job for a year or more already. This is a good way to underpay high-performing people. - Work-life balance is not real. especially if you are a manager. Directors and senior staff will message at any time of day. They will say that balance is important and they spent all of “Mental Health Month” talking about this but then go on to push harder deadlines for Unite, an annual conference hosted by Shopify. They say the R&R days (4 day work week) should not make your work more but the deadlines stay the same. - Constantly shifting organization structure and constant release of new useless terminology. Often getting the sense that leadership uses this as an excuse to explain what work that they are doing. Sometimes their announcements of reorgs or new words to describe the work we already do, have a feeling of being made up on the spot and always end on a note of work in progress. This adds to the feeling of instability because they want us to use what they have come up with on a day-to-day basis but it could change at any moment. It also always make you feel as much f you are a pawn or resource to be moved around without regard to building community and relationships. (Which causes managers to use this as a reason to not promote or give raises) - Pretending to be open when in fact at AMAs, the hardest questions are skipped over to the extent that they have made a team build tools to filter out questions that are too hard and report employees to HR if they asked questions that leadership doesn’t like or seems too critical. The same team built tools into slack, to direct report any employee to HR which almost immediately killed all slack discussions that were in any way critical of the company, even good-faith criticism. - Leadership lacks accountability and refuses to listen to feedback. Usually, when asked for accountability, they will say something along the lines that the conversation has become unproductive and wasting company time. This will often just result in slack channels being changed to read-only, forcing the conversation into other channels. - When I joined the company, they marked themselves as a hacker culture. Everything was hackable, including the company itself. So often we had discussions about what the company could do better and how it could be better. Currently, Shopify has a culture of constantly telling its employees that if you don’t like what the company does, then you should leave. This position was used for remote working as well. They are hostile and gaslighting to employees who have dissenting opinions or criticism. - Most of the good culture that Shopify still retains is from the people they have hired in the past and good lower-level managers having great connections with their small teams. The company as a whole is seemingly doing nothing to support everyone other than half-assed mental health statements and talking about a future where they will fly the whole company to central points once a year. This is odd because in the same breath they will mention how environmentally conscious they are. - Criticisms of the company are cast as direct attacks on C-levels, who are surrounded by cult-like people who think they can do no wrong. Echo chamber at the top to the extent that it seems obvious that there is a house clearing of any dissenting directors or C-levels. - C-level execs are highly involved but are not highly informed. They will often say incorrect things, very confidently. - Leadership has a poor opinion of UX and front-end, as displayed in the past by CEO comments on Twitter and the fact that the UX role was eliminated from Shopify. It has taken years of advocacy to get front-end developers paid nearly the same amount as backends. Leadership will often go on tirades about how no one should write javascript at all, even though javascript powers a lot of what the company does now. - Work is not appreciated across teams, highly competitive and if the team did not create it, they will just create their own and try to destroy the other. - Very strong not-built-here mentality where Shopify tends to rebuild things that already have solutions. - I would feel bad for Tobi if he was not often rudely opinionated and surrounded by people who will protect him at any time. I get that he has a hard position where he is expected to run a company but still looks like (or still wants to be) highly connected to the technical aspects of dev however it is clear that he cannot. And that is completely fine. However, when he reads an article or tries something out in his spare time, he tries to push people to use things in order to feel relevant but it is clear that he has not used the technology in a sustained way. If he only brought items up as a suggestion of something he is interested in rather than something he is telling technical team that they should already be using, these would be taken a lot better, however, because of the way he approaches items like this, he wastes massive amounts of time as teams are constantly consumed with building up a case to tell him in a fully data-driven way an answer they could have just told him at the start. I mean, there has been enough coverage of Tobi tornadoes, I don’t need to re-hash. - Managers have very little feedback loop. There is no way in Shopify to evaluate a bad manager who is causing their employees to have a bad experience. It is common for ICs to talk about who is a good lead and who is not because the only hope is to avoid the bad ones. Managers are mostly evaluated by the work their team produces and their ability to explain those things in meetings. So when managers are deliberately not promoting or doing terrible things like punitive PIPs, there is no hope for those ICs except to change teams. - Hiring has no feedback loop. There are many people who participate in interviews that are very pretentious and biased but there is no way to tell how well interviewers are performing. We hire with committees so everyone needs to come to an agreement to combat bias but if the whole committee is full of bad interviewers then it is doing nothing for bias. I was trained years ago, which was reading a few documents and shadowing two interviews, and then nothing ever since. - Shopify hires with a pretty strong requirement of using TDD however in practice, I would say a small minority of the people at Shopify actually practice true TDD, which just seems hypocritical. - New hires often get paid more that tenured staff, with very reserved raises. Which is fine if you were just hired, that will only sting a few years in. - Promotions are really a popularity contest. The loudest, most visible people get promoted the most, the quiet but highly productive people rarely get recognition.

57 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

They actually care about their people

Nov 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

They take care of their employees and have excellent resources available to support them, with a focus on mental health and well-being.

Cons

The schedules for the entry level positions are a little sporadic.

4. 5.0

Awesome

Nov 21, 2021 - Technical Support Advisor in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great perks. Low workload. The people are the best!

Cons

Too be honest, there really aren't any.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 17, 2021 - Support in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with awesome culture

Cons

Must enjoy and thrive in remote work

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mission-driven

Nov 15, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clear mission, clear "why". Lots of autonomy in your work. Lots of flexibility in how you work, so long as you deliver high-quality work. High candidate care.

Cons

Lots of change, but that's to be expected at any a fast-growing tech company.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good benefits, mediocre culture, poor compensation

Nov 28, 2021 - Retail Technical Merchant Support in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Shopify is a great company to get your feet wet in the tech industry, and to build some practical knowledge to use in your career. The benefits package is unmatched, from stock options to spending accounts. You're given a lot of room to grow as a person, and ample opportunity to develop your own skills. The culture between teams is also good, for the most part.

Cons

Advancement in Shopify is abysmal, as is the compensation. Shopify operates internally as if it is two different companies, one side being Support, and then the rest of the company on another. Support is often excluded from the rest of the company, and the benefits package is significantly less enticing. Shopify advertises a fair wage, but you will find that this isn't the case. Colleagues in support make far from industry standard with no real room for compensation adjustments, and other teams make varied wages, with external hires making significantly more than internal hires. There's very little opportunity to grow, and significant favouritism with internal hiring. Managers often have little to no leadership experience, and move quickly, requiring you to play the "who you know" game to move around internally. As the company grows, the internal culture and equality among employees is diminishing quickly.

8. 5.0

Great company

Nov 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits for employees and flexible work from home options.

Cons

Big company now so you can definitely get lost in the mix unless you take initiative

9. 5.0

Amazing

Nov 11, 2021 - Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people and good work

Cons

Fully remote may not be for everyone.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Benefits were great, the job was not

Nov 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote, great benefits, good pay

Cons

Out of touch management, favouritism, high expectations, heavy - nearly unmanageable work load

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,124 Reviews