Shopify Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 22 June, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work from home while being treated like a regular employee (in 9 reviews)

• Positive, healthy work environment where you are constantly given opportunities to learn and progress through customized coaching (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to be very self driven to succeed here (which is a pro for a lot of people) (in 5 reviews)

• The work environment itself is great though (in 6 reviews)

"Ridiculously Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Support Lead in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Support Lead in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of Shopify, by far, is the people. Shopify is full of incredibly kind and brilliant people who have no ego. I've had interesting conversations with people at Shopify several times only to later find out that they're a leading expert in that field. It's a group of people who enjoy having fun, who want to be the best at what they do, and who want to help everyone else do those things too.

I started at Shopify as a Guru and have worked in several areas before becoming a Senior Support Lead. The amount you can learn here is incredible; in 5 years I've learned:
    - How to program in Ruby/Rails
    - How to be more self-aware
    - How to effectively lead a team & help those on my team learn/grow
    - Good techniques for finding the best solutions to complex/complicated problems
    - tons more

The culture at Shopify is also amazing, you are encouraged to learn and grow, without being pushed to a degree that destroys work/life balance. People are encouraged to experiment, and it's understood that when trying something new, you're gonna suck at it for a while.

Cons

Shopify, Support especially, had a rough time with salaries in the past. This is almost entirely better (and constantly improving), but there is merit to the gripes people have had about salaries, especially in the pre-2016 reviews.

Because Shopify tends to hire really interesting and fun people, it's easy to wind up with almost all your friends working at Shopify too. This is not because of effects like at Google where everything is paid for by the office so you never leave the office; it's simply that you end up wanting to spend time mostly with people from Shopify. That can cause you to lose perspective on how privileged you are and what it's like elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This culture is incredibly valuable, please keep it going as we grow (I'm not worried it's going away, but it's my biggest piece of advice)

"Remote Guru"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, healthy work environment where you are constantly given opportunities to learn and progress through customized coaching. Work from home while being treated like a regular employee.

Cons

A lot to learn. Training is extensive but there's always new developments. You have to stay alert - no coasting here.

Advice to Management

Honestly, nothing. I feel like I have learned how a company should treat its employees by watching the way management interacts with other employees.

"A good place to work, as long as you don't talk salary"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A healthy work environment, amazing coworkers, freedom to be yourself, and to be creative. Perks and benefits are good. Flexible working hours and vacation days.

Cons

Salary isn't that great even within Canada. And that (actually money in general) is a big taboo for Shopify's HR department. That's specially harmful for unrepresented groups and women in tech, cause due to the complete lack of data, fail to understand the huge gap that exists in Shopify in terms of salary and compensation.

Management is usually a pain to because leads are in general not prepared for the role, and fail to give employees space to grow.

Advice to Management

HR: it's okay to talk about money. You don't need to disclose all the salaries of all the employees individually, but sharing grouped data on LOI and demographics is essential if you really want to develop inclusiveness in this company. I understand that right now the numbers are terrible and shameful, I get it, but acknowledging the problem is the first brave step towards a solution.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great work environment.

Cons

Every job has a con, but Shopify's cons are very different depending on the person. No one area stands out as being bad for everyone.

6. "Great company, great experience"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Performance based on impact
    Constant learning
    Incredible growth
    Treat their employees well and allow you to voice your opinion.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment that forces you to keep up. You need to hustle and thrive in ambiguity, definitely not for everyone.

"Great Canadian company"

Current Employee - Remote Guru in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Remote Guru in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees at Shopify are the best, not only at what they do, but it's like working with your best buddies. Don't get me wrong, we work hard, but being surrounded with like-minded individuals is fantastic.

Cons

It can be a bit stressful, there's always a lot of change, but if you're okay with organized chaos you will succeed

"A growing company with a startup culture!"

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an energizing and engaging workplace. Lots of intelligent and open individuals work here and they all seem to be genuinely committed to building the Shopify product and making it the best it can be. Committed to inclusion in the workplace and making everyone feel comfortable at work so they are able to perform at their best.

Cons

Along with growth comes a sense of disconnectedness (I see it creeping-in) as opposed to a interconnected startup feel that they company started with.

Advice to Management

Work hard to maintain that interconnected startup culture as well as hiring from more diverse markets to further boost the diversity of the company... also keep hiring great people!

"Amazing Company - I just worked in the wrong department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People outside the department I worked in we're amazing. They were supportive, professional, and just all around amazing people. The work load is a bit overwhelming at times but then you have slow times as well so it balances out.

Cons

In the department I was in I felt like the leads were awful people. There were obvious moments were I was treated grossly unfair to the point other people in other departments noticed. I felt harassed and bullied at work. The managers and many people knew of this but did nothing to stop it.

I feel like the company shouldn't be judged by a particular set of people and it's unfortunate that this is my out look on the company now as many people within shopify are amazing. The reason I feel like the company is to blame is due to the reason that managers were aware and did nothing to stop it. I feel like I did everything in my power to alert the people in charge of the gross mistreatment I was put under. It was to the point that at one time my lead personally attacked my character and laughed about me openly with another co worker.

Advice to Management

While you do an outstanding job of hiding some of the best talent, I feel there are some people that fall through the cracks that are awful. I understand that it's hard to spot the bullies but when many see the bullying and nothing is being done by managers then something needs to be done.

"What Diversity?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visionary CEO. Countless opportunities to learn and move around the organization. The perks are undeniable.

Cons

...BUT it blows my mind just how little diversity there is here and frankly there really are no excuses especially here in Toronto (or anywhere in Canada for that matter). It looks like Senior Management is finally beginning to clue in and I'm noticing a push from them to build a more inclusion-centric culture. But how this can be done without the necessary internal diversity, I have no clue. I hope I'm not being naive but I'm (grudgingly) optimistic that things will improve in the long term. I've noticed their attempts to grow a team around Inclusion. Fingers crossed we see more people of colour join that team so they can truly create a work environment that is more in line with what the Canadian tech industry can and should look like.

Advice to Management

Making commerce better for everyone just won't be possible until this issue is addressed.

"Great work environment, team, and growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Designer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your role at Shopify is yours for the making. Which is truly the best part of the company culture. Shopify values, and encourages the growth of their employees. They offer great perks, salaries and benefits.

Incredibly talented R&D team, and great vision by Tobi and the leadership.

Cons

As with any growth company, there are bound to be growing pains. During my time at Shopify the Product team was a work in progress. Often cycling through leadership, they struggled to implement Product Managers into R&D teams, and often promoted employees who weren't equipped for the role.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your senior leadership team, as the company continues to grow, the senior members will need to play a more vital role.