Shopify Waterloo Reviews

Tobias Lütke
  1. "Amazing place"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Nice environment; * People extremely smart and nice; * Complex Challenges; * Nice remuneration; * Amazing perks;

Cons

* Hard to grow into senior leadership positions;

2. COVID-19

"Great engineering culture"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Founder/CEO is committed to transparency, gives honest answers and shares decisions quickly Eng culture and employees are amazing

Cons

Mandatory work-from-home is rough for those of us who liked the office, but understandable given COVID

December 8, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are thankful to have a CEO who is vulnerable and honest. Transparency is important in a company if you’re looking to grow and scale like Shopify is. Shopify prides itself on having a healthy culture and working environment for Shopify employees. We are so glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying your experience here at Shopify. We hear you. This year has been challenging. The Shopify offices were a great addition to our workspaces. However, going digital by default means that we can take advantage of virtual meetings, and use our side-kick program to connect with different people and teams around the globe. Again, thank you for sharing about your experience.

3. "xD"

Former Intern - Frontend Developer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify

Pros

nice place to work at

Cons

a lot of learning by yourself

4. "Shopify Intern"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify

Pros

Great people, provided a lot of autonomy

Cons

Not much to say here!

"Incredible company!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Definitely the best company I've ever worked in my career. People and products are incredible. Highly recommended.

Cons

Honestly, nothing to say negatively. Keep up the good work!

October 30, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! Wow, thank you for such a positive review! It's so uplifting to hear when someone is truly happy with their role. We operate at a high standard so that we can be one of the best (if not *the* best) commerce companies available on the market. To achieve this, we have a staff of hugely talented and creative individuals. The work they do speaks for itself! Thank you again for the review, it is really appreciated!

6. "Great Place to be!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

autonomy great product variety of merchants

Cons

thrive on change is a core value and change is extremely frequent

August 26, 2020Social Care

Thanks for leaving a review! Thriving on change can definitely be difficult, especially as change is so constant here. We're growing so much as a company! Because of this, we need to see and appreciate the benefits of change, and learn to thrive in an environment that’s always moving. I know it can feel overwhelming sometimes, but the mindset of 'being comfortable with being uncomfortable' will help embrace these changes! I'm glad to hear you enjoy the Pros of your role here! Being a constant learner is also one of our core values; having the freedom to self-direct your own learning is so important. If you focus in on learning what you're passionate about in your role, you can channel that knowledge into your work. This is how we create great products: passionate people and diversity of thought. Thank you again for the review, have a great day!

"Fastest, biggest game in town. Once in a lifetime phase of growth."

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Shopify is at the top of the Canadian technology scene. Smart, performance oriented, crazy sustained growth means you will see things you can’t see anywhere else. This is how the big companies you know about happened and it’s happening to a Canadian company. You can help. Wins matter in this business and Shopify is winning.

Cons

Pace and growth rate mean even though the company has the best of intentions, often challenges happen because no one has solved issues yet. Sometimes it’s fun being in the rocket but sometimes the g-forces can get you.

October 7, 2020Social Care

Hey, there! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback! I can understand your comments about the pace and growth of Shopify. Changes can definitely be challenging. Practicing self awareness and learning to become comfortable with uncertainty can help you thrive in this environment. Our values are the behaviours that are seen in people who are successful at Shopify, but they exist in the context of each person’s team. For example, we value being impactful, but acting alone leads to limited impact. It’s only by working with others that leads to building the best products for our merchants. Again, thank you for your feedback!

8. "Great culture"

4.0
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify for less than a year

Pros

Great Culture. Cares about developers.

Cons

Not too many cons. Could improve hours.

"Cult of groupthink. Avoid if your a critical thinker, or if you want work life balance."

1.0
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of fattening, luxurious food. open bar on site Interns get a retreat where wild stuff always seems to happen Great learning environment Smart people Very cool product Beautiful art stuffed office. VR arcade in office 'perks perks and no perks'

Cons

-culture of dishonesty surrounding their product and how many merchants they actually have vs just people owning accounts -out of control progressivism, with patches of hyper political correctness- say they value viewpoint diversity but beware if you are conservative -culture of greenwashing where they advertise being environmentally friendly, but then have key products that enable massive waste in the online ecosystem -culture of high ideals that are betrayed by constant doublespeak -be prepared to feel cognitive dissonance -high stress due to fast growth and poor mid level management -inadequate recognition of introverts because you must be 'high impact and be good at branding and advertising yourself' with no formal evaluation criteria - popular people who do little do well here -your contract says 40 hours, but 50-60 was not uncommon when you include all of the 'not mandatory' social events -culture of burnout and discrimination against people with preexisting mental health issues who can't handle it -had management slash the intern housing allowance in two in the middle of our internship. as an intern, you're basically disposable.

Continue reading

"Challenging in a mostly good (and sometimes bad) way"

4.0
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really innovative culture. For example, We have Meeting Free Wednesday every single week. This kind of thing is supported and practiced by our execs. Other small things: You feel trusted with your time and your projects. No one looking over your shoulder or micro-managing. If you're working in-office the food is top-notch. Extremely flexible hours and unlimited vacation which is a godsend for parents.

Cons

Change is constant and can be exhausting. Most people change leads/orgs at least once a year. We're still learning how to grow and scale our culture across thousands of people in multiple countries. Lots of the leadership rose up with the company, which has led to a perception that OG Shopifolk (5+ years) are front-of-the-line for new opportunities because of their tenure rather than their talent.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews