Shopify Montreal Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2021

4.8
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
  1. "Dynamic and endlessly interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate and engaged co-workers, mission-driven

Cons

Changes come quickly, workload can get intense

"Fun"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-worker are amazing, people really care about the mission, work is for the most part exciting

Cons

Salaries are really low compared to the industry, especially if you happen to be located outside the USA.

3. "Mission driven company that keeps employee motivated"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great mission that actually helps the world

Cons

You have to accept that change comes with the territory

Continue reading
  4. "Best practices"

Current Employee - Data Science Manager in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong emphasis on best practices

Cons

None i can think of

"Overall graet"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great mission, easy to have work/life balance, good leadership

Cons

The promotion and compensation process is opaque

"A good employer if your team likes you"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay package, perks, and other financial benefits. Working here will surely help you evolve into a better software engineer.

Cons

I'm not saying that all teams/employees are like this, but here are some negatives I found from my experience. Some employees/teams can be very judgemental, i.e. one wrong move on the wrong day and you're out. At the same time, some teams are more lenient and even take syntax errors lightly. Work-life imbalance, especially after they went remote. Some employees/teams have strange expectations. Say, your task depends on a senior member from another team. You might be blamed for delays caused by that member. Unequal treatment of employees in certain teams, e.g. a lead or a senior developer can break prod with their mistake and the team laughs it off, while a junior developer can be criticized for small things like code-style preferences. When I needed help understanding some vaguely described issues, nobody was available to reply to my messages. However, I was surprised to see that even the busiest team member would take time to help the other noob that joined. Not only by replying to their messages, but by even jumping on a pair-programming session. Some teams are not open/ready to accept new members, e.g. if they don't like you, they won't reply to your messages or GitHub comments, they'll take weeks to review even the simplest PR you write, they won't hesitate to make a big issue out of any small mistake you might make. Doesn't matter if you get your work done and work hard to meet the team's expectations (growth mindset), if you don't have a certain "je ne sais quoi", the team will not cooperate with you. Some teams are not good at communicating, e.g. vague comments on PRs which might take 15-30 mins to decipher. E.g., someone might post a vague comment about something and if you try to address that comment by changing your code, they might post a follow-up comment saying, "you don't have to change the code just because I suggested". Additionally, delay in PR reviews can make you feel useless and makes it look as if you're taking more time to do your work. Improper feedback might lead you down the wrong path, e.g. I was always told by my lead that I was "on the right track", until the last month when they suddenly sent me a warning to terminate my employment. Finally, if they put you on probation, chances are that they've already decided to terminate you. I did my performance-evaluation task way before the deadline that was assigned to me, but I was terminated despite that. And... I wasn't even asked for my feedback when I was being terminated. In summary, I've never had such a strange experience in the 10+ years of my career. Again, maybe it's all my fault. Please don't be discouraged by the points I shared above. I'm just saying that a series of unfortunate events is probable.

Continue reading
  7. "Work is always dynamic; lots of complicated stuff to work on"

Current Employee - Front End Developer Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great communication throughout company; making information available easily is a company value

Cons

Company went fully remote last year and is still learning how to manage a fully remote workforce

8. "Really cares about their people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

My lead wants to help me grow as a person, I feel heard. Work is challenging, but you take it at your own pace. I'm given plenty of opportunities to take time to learn and interact with other teams at the company.

Cons

Permanent WFH, I would like to have an office, but it's not too bad.

Shopify Response

October 21, 2020Social Care

Hi there!

We are so happy to hear about your experience working at Shopify. Personal growth is so important in a career. Reaching out and talking to other teams can definitely help with understanding the ins and outs of the Shopify platform as well as help you figure out what path you’re looking to go down. Virtual meet-ups can be a great way to chat with different teams around the world as well.
 We definitely see the benefits of having an office. When working from home it's important to find a work space that works best for you, be sure to take advantage of our perks and benefits to make your perfect WFH space.

9. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Former Intern - Data Scientist in Montreal, QC

I worked at Shopify

Pros

Interesting work and good projects

Cons

Bad hours - not worth the extensive hours spent

"Great colleagues, prioritizes learning"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

The colleagues are the best part about this job!

Cons

Some of the work can be repetitive/basic.

Shopify Response

August 25, 2020Social Care

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. I agree, the people I work with make my day much brighter! I'm sorry to hear you feel the work can be a little repetitive though. The more experience you get in solving problems, the easier your work can get. It's important to challenge yourself if you're feeling complacent, I'm sure if you had a chat with your team lead you could decide on some projects to guide your learning! Thanks again for the review, and for the kind words!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 English Reviews