Shopify Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 67 of over 1,191 reviews

4.2
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "Flexible work hours and good work from home support(in 67 reviews)

• "Get to work from home, great benefits(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "Higher ups preach "work/life harmony" (work/life balance) but you'll get side eye if you try to leave the office before 5 on a Friday(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great summer job

Jan 22, 2021 - Junior Support Advisor in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, great to be able to work from home, learned a lot!

Cons

Steep learning curve and long training program - however, this was beneficial in the long run

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Futuristic company

Jan 16, 2021 - Support Advisor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Very supportive culture with promotes learning and development

Cons

No cons in my experience.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Road into Shopify

Oct 11, 2020 - Support Advisor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with, the ability to work from home, great experience, super energized opportunity to help make a difference for small and medium global business owners.

Cons

Starting wage is not reflective of the work load or the expertise required to perform at a high level in this role. Previous experience is not taken into consideration when compensation is offered.

4 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hello, there! Thank you for sharing your experience! When Shopify went digital by default, it was important for all Shopify employees to feel comfortable working their role from home. It’s great that you’re loving working remotely. It means a lot to help businesses small and large to help get to their goal - we love helping merchants succeed. Feedback like this is important to help improve the employee environment. Shopify does make sure to consistently review salaries and assess roles within the company to assure that salaries are competitive and are meeting today’s market. If you are finding that your salary is not meeting expectations, be sure to reach out to your lead or HR person for more information. Again, thank you for taking time to share your feedback!

4. 3.0

Systematic Problems

Jul 22, 2020 - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

24 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and we're sorry that you didn't have the experience we hope to give every Shopify employee. We work hard to create an environment where everyone belongs and we need difficult conversations like this to make sure we embody our value of thriving on change. You're right that Shopify is a demanding environment, and that the expectations are high. While we do our best to provide competitive wages and benefits, we also need to know where we fall short. Like you mentioned in your review, changes happen all the time, and we're committed to changing for the better. We want to always reflect the world we all live in and will continue to show our commitment to this as we continue to grow and shift.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic company

Jun 10, 2020 - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Care

Hey, thank you so much for leaving a review! Our perks and benefits package is something we’re proud to offer our employees as soon as they start; what better way to hit the ground running! You’ve mentioned you’ve been here for more than 3 years, so I’m sure you’re used to hearing these values: thrive on change and be a constant learner. These values are something we look for in employees but also ask from our leadership team. This means that if current processes or workflows are not working, they will be re-evaluated and adapted to fit the current needs. This is a company made up of talented and creative individuals, so everyone’s feedback must be heard so we can create the best working environment! Career opportunities in the past were sometimes difficult to identify or find, which is also feedback we have acted upon. Our internal support team has worked together to create internal support pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide will show you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. I’d also like to touch on your final point: racial diversity. Racial diversity is an organizational imperative at Shopify and we have launched several different initiatives to both increase diversity and foster a greater sense of belonging. We have Employer Resource Groups, which are groups of employees that form based on a shared identity like race and ethnicity, gender, abilities, or sexual orientation, and help elevate the voices and experiences of their respective communities. Belonging Connectors, who are a diverse group of volunteers whose aim is to be a confidential resource for their fellow Shopify employees (during tough situations and learning moments) while supporting the work of the Diversity & Belonging team. If you get the chance, I’d recommend checking out the Belonging and Diversity section in our internal pages to see the full range of initiatives! I find the ‘Real Talk’ panel discussions to be the most engaging, as it is a space for Shopifolk to deepen their empathy by listening to others in an open discussion. Thank you again for leaving a review and allowing us a space to discuss the topics you’ve raised!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Okay place to work overall

Jun 12, 2020 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hi, thank you for leaving a review! Career opportunities were at times difficult to identify or find. This is feedback we have acted upon! Our support team has worked together to create internal help pages that show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. The Career Pathing Guide shows you where you currently are, where you’d like to go, and how you can get there. This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. The recent shift to Digital by Default has had a huge impact on our culture. As the majority of office employees are now also remote, we've adapted to make sure everyone feels connected. Our Events team have worked hard to create virtual meetups, guest speaker sessions, and even live music events, all online! The benefit of thriving on change is that teams like the Events team can pivot quickly to online-only meetups; which is fast becoming the new normal. We do move at a fast pace as a team which, understandably, does not suit everyone. To give the best product to our merchants, we need to change as fast as commerce is can; this means challenging ourselves to do better, questioning the best way to get things done, and constantly learning new information. Thrive on change is one of our cultural keystones here! It's so great to hear you've created some lasting relationships with your co-workers. We aim to hire like-minded, creative individuals here, friendships are bound to be struck up when those people get together! We truly believe in creating a business that is impactful, and you’ll have limited impact if you act alone: the best products come from a mix of ideas, experiences, and perspectives. Thank you again for the review and for allowing the space for discussion!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Kool aid culture that punishes honesty

Jun 9, 2020 - Squad Lead in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

work from home, nice co workers

Cons

lack of opportunity, call centre vibe, metrics driven, micro managing, unqualified leadership

4 people found this review helpful

Social Care

Hi, thanks for taking the time to give feedback! I'm sorry to hear your time with us did not seem to be positive overall. Leading a team of Support Advisors can be stressful; you need to empower a team of up to 10 people in helping merchants and helping themselves in their own personal development. So I can understand the frustration when it comes to metrics! However, we do need to have a high focus on metrics in order to find where and how our merchants need support Our leadership team have listened to feedback on career opportunities, and have worked together to show all employees a clear and easy way they can progress in their Shopify careers. There is a Career Pathing Guide available on our internal support pages! This means there is a huge amount of transparency around how to progress to different roles. Our Talent teams do assess all roles within the company on a regular basis to ensure all compensation is meeting the current market value and industry standard. However, I do see how this is beneficial so I will be sure to pass along your feedback for you! Thank you again for leaving a review, and best of luck in the future.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's a really great place to work!

Feb 5, 2020 - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, good salary, paid sick days, awesome coworkers and okey benefits

Cons

very, very high stress. You have to be tough to do this job. It burns everyone out at some point and it can be really overwhelming.

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent company

Jan 11, 2020 - Recruitment
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, a place where you can really be yourself. Incredible perks, benefits. Flexible vacation, flexible work hours, work from home option. Great leadership so far in my experience. A lot of movement within the company, a place where you can grow if you really put yourself out there (of course having the relationships and connection helps). They're constantly moving forward so it's an engaging environment to be part of.

Cons

There's a lot of change at the company- things don't stay the same for long, so you have to be comfortable in that kind of environment. There wasn't a lot of formal training for my job, and for a lot of the positions at the company.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 1.0

Recent Guru

Nov 12, 2019 - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Unbelievable expectations from gurus. It is always expanding and covers all aspects of the front facing business. Includes trouble shooting, coaching and SALES WHICH THEY TRY TO DISGUISE. The pay is in no way aligned with the work required. You are contantly micromanaged by less than competent managers and get hammered for stepping away from your computer for a minute. 30-minute lunch break! What??? Unless I'm ordering takeout every day, it doesn't work. They expect you to have fast internet, but don't pay for it?? Expect you to be reachable by the slack app on your cell phone but don't cover your plan or phone???? Supremely unprofessional and use all the colorful language you can think of, which is endorsed by corporate because I guess they're hip? Everybody you meet talks about how they moved up from being a guru into whatever role they are in now. YA OK, when there were 100 employees that's bound to happen, not when there's 10000. This also results in incompetence all across.

13 people found this review helpful