Shopify Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jul 22, 2020

4.2
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 62 reviews)

• "Multi Culture Company, Great Benefits, Support Employees, Remote work(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "3 chats is too much sometimes & has negative effects for both employees & merchants(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Theme Specialist in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work from home. The commute is amazing The benefits package is great, and you get it on Employment Day 1 (for full time employees). Leadership is always learning and growing with their employees. They don't always get it right, but they're willing to learn from their mistakes.

Cons

Entry level (Guru) is an incredibly stressful job. It will take all of your spoons. Progressing in the company is not as easy as it used to be (because the company is so much bigger). Our racial diversity needs a lot of work.

"Systematic Problems"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

Continue reading

"Okay place to work overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work with a lot of great people and are able to develop a lot of great relationships. Overall benefits are great, working from home is great.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in support, stricter vacation guidelines compared to the rest of the company, remote culture is different from the culture in office, it's a high and fast paced environment so if it's something that you aren't used to - it may cause you anxiety.

"Kool aid culture that punishes honesty"

2.0
    Former Employee - Squad Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work from home, nice co workers

Cons

lack of opportunity, call centre vibe, metrics driven, micro managing, unqualified leadership

Continue reading

"It's a really great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, good salary, paid sick days, awesome coworkers and okey benefits

Cons

very, very high stress. You have to be tough to do this job. It burns everyone out at some point and it can be really overwhelming.

6. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Recruitment

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Amazing culture, a place where you can really be yourself. Incredible perks, benefits. Flexible vacation, flexible work hours, work from home option. Great leadership so far in my experience. A lot of movement within the company, a place where you can grow if you really put yourself out there (of course having the relationships and connection helps). They're constantly moving forward so it's an engaging environment to be part of.

Cons

There's a lot of change at the company- things don't stay the same for long, so you have to be comfortable in that kind of environment. There wasn't a lot of formal training for my job, and for a lot of the positions at the company.

"Recent Guru"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

Unbelievable expectations from gurus. It is always expanding and covers all aspects of the front facing business. Includes trouble shooting, coaching and SALES WHICH THEY TRY TO DISGUISE. The pay is in no way aligned with the work required. You are contantly micromanaged by less than competent managers and get hammered for stepping away from your computer for a minute. 30-minute lunch break! What??? Unless I'm ordering takeout every day, it doesn't work. They expect you to have fast internet, but don't pay for it?? Expect you to be reachable by the slack app on your cell phone but don't cover your plan or phone???? Supremely unprofessional and use all the colorful language you can think of, which is endorsed by corporate because I guess they're hip? Everybody you meet talks about how they moved up from being a guru into whatever role they are in now. YA OK, when there were 100 employees that's bound to happen, not when there's 10000. This also results in incompetence all across.

Continue reading

"Shopify is not taking employee burnout seriously"

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru - Remote in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and working from home is ideal. A lot of really nice people work at this company.

Cons

The guru role is expanding all the time and it is almost impossible to keep up. Management is just not listening and I've been here for 2 years and can see they are not listening. Burn out is frequent and real, and with only 10 sick days a year allowed, you end up taking days off and not getting paid for them if you go over those 10 days. The work load of the role has increased 100% but the salary definitely has not kept pace with that. 30 minute lunches and being micro managed is really frustrating. Shopify says they trust us and we are adults, but they micro manage guru's and watch our every move - even bathroom breaks! Steer clear of this role if you are thinking of this company.

Continue reading

"Rapid growth was not handled well by management and Gurus suffered"

Current Employee - Guru in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good, hardworking teammates Working from home has its perks Nice benefits

Cons

- Management/leads did not convey expectations for the role, and they seemed to change constantly without notice or context, which was frustrating and I was often left feeling like I didn't know how to succeed in the role - No real room for career growth, because of how big the role is now, I would say don't hold out expecting this to be an 'entry' position as it might have been a few years ago

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Support Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Ability to work from home • Benefits include company stock

Cons

• Employees that work from home don't get as many 'perks' as those in the offices

Found 62 reviews