Find jobs for Software Engineer

4.7
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
  1. COVID-19

"Great Company to work at"

Current Intern - Software Engineer, Backend Intern

I have been working at Shopify for less than a year

Pros

- great culture - great hours - great benefits

Cons

- remote (but with pandemic thats almost every company)

2. "Autonomy to work the way you want to"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's minimal process and things are really up to your team on how you work. That sentiment is propagated from leadership down as well, to make sure that process doesn't get in the way of writing code quickly and efficiently. The ability to transition into different roles when you feel that you've stagnated in yours or see another interesting opportunity is also great, since you still feel incentivized to stay at the company due to the great culture and work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to unhinge from work since there is a lot going on at once, and being permanent work-from-home introduces challenges around growth and connection with your team. All solveable things, but a challenge none-the-less.

3. "Never leaving"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The most supported I have ever felt in a workplace. They also compensate and promote based on impact, not seniority or tenure, which means hard work actually gets recognized.

Cons

Hiring and firing process can take a significant amount of time. 1-3 months to move to a new position after applying, several strikes required before someone is fired.

4. "Good culture"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify

Pros

Good team, good impact, good culture, good wlb. Definitely my best internship so far in terms of experience

Cons

Uncompetitive salary, working remotely is more draining

"Good company"

Current Employee - Senior PHP Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Many perks, fast-growing and many opportunities

Cons

Overtime sometime get in your way a lot.

6. "good company to grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

good company, lots of money

Cons

not too much , interview is harder

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement, you'll learn a ton.

Cons

Totally remote now, some people may not like that.

8. "Good place"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer/Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Great if you want to focus on engineering craft

Cons

Large company means seeing your impact is hard.

"A good employer if your team likes you"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay package, perks, and other financial benefits. Working here will surely help you evolve into a better software engineer.

Cons

I'm not saying that all teams/employees are like this, but here are some negatives I found from my experience. Some employees/teams can be very judgemental, i.e. one wrong move on the wrong day and you're out. At the same time, some teams are more lenient and even take syntax errors lightly. Work-life imbalance, especially after they went remote. Some employees/teams have strange expectations. Say, your task depends on a senior member from another team. You might be blamed for delays caused by that member. Unequal treatment of employees in certain teams, e.g. a lead or a senior developer can break prod with their mistake and the team laughs it off, while a junior developer can be criticized for small things like code-style preferences. When I needed help understanding some vaguely described issues, nobody was available to reply to my messages. However, I was surprised to see that even the busiest team member would take time to help the other noob that joined. Not only by replying to their messages, but by even jumping on a pair-programming session. Some teams are not open/ready to accept new members, e.g. if they don't like you, they won't reply to your messages or GitHub comments, they'll take weeks to review even the simplest PR you write, they won't hesitate to make a big issue out of any small mistake you might make. Doesn't matter if you get your work done and work hard to meet the team's expectations (growth mindset), if you don't have a certain "je ne sais quoi", the team will not cooperate with you. Some teams are not good at communicating, e.g. vague comments on PRs which might take 15-30 mins to decipher. E.g., someone might post a vague comment about something and if you try to address that comment by changing your code, they might post a follow-up comment saying, "you don't have to change the code just because I suggested". Additionally, delay in PR reviews can make you feel useless and makes it look as if you're taking more time to do your work. Improper feedback might lead you down the wrong path, e.g. I was always told by my lead that I was "on the right track", until the last month when they suddenly sent me a warning to terminate my employment. Finally, if they put you on probation, chances are that they've already decided to terminate you. I did my performance-evaluation task way before the deadline that was assigned to me, but I was terminated despite that. And... I wasn't even asked for my feedback when I was being terminated. In summary, I've never had such a strange experience in the 10+ years of my career. Again, maybe it's all my fault. Please don't be discouraged by the points I shared above. I'm just saying that a series of unfortunate events is probable.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place for software development"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

total compensation and growth potential

Cons

work life balance hit or miss

Viewing 1 - 10 of 147 Reviews