Shopify Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1,108 of over 1,108.0 interviews

Recruiter8%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Shopify

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Interview was fine. went through the full loop incl virtual onsite. it's a lot for a person to go through, both mentally/emotionally and timewise. but surprisingly SHOPIFY DOESN'T CARE! i was ghosted - don't know how else to say it...no word, no follow up...even though i followed up with a nice message to the recruiter. i will never understand why you have to leave someone hanging instead of even simply copy pasting a rejection email. it genuinely hurts and is damaging to someone who went through a lot, and got good feedback/reinforcement, to not even get the courtesy of a rejection. just, nothing. and so despite the interview process and people being fine throughout - one of the interviewers seemed miserable - this stands out as THE worst process i've ever been through, and i've been through lots of em. i've gotten offers and i've been rejected, but i've never been ghosted it goes without saying that i would never apply for anything at shopify again, and based on the fact that my experience isn't isolated (read other reviews) you shouldn't either. i'll make sure to share my experience with anyone and everyone too, forever.

Interview Questions
  • why do you want to work at shopify
    Answer Question
30 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

- upon applying, short assessment to see if your skills fit the role - acceptance letter to move onto the call interview (20-30 minute zoom call) - technical interview - 1hr long role play session via 2 simultaneous live chats and 1 phone call - thats as far as I got!

Interview Questions
  • Q: tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer / client?

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Kicked off with an initial screen with recruiter. A Life Interview which certainly feels an extended culture fit screen. A coding screen challenge. The 2nd round consisted of a management life interview, system design challenge and coding exercise. Everyone was very nice and helpful. The time frame was over a month, which felt dragged out slightly but a good process.

Interview Questions
  • Standard, "Tell me about..." looking at situations you will have experienced.

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

There's a couple of different stages depending on your background and experience. If you don't have extensive experience, the recruiter and the team won't let you make it past the first stage. So it's much opposite from what they say on their website about onboarding 'people, not resumes.' They don't care about your life story or who you are. Unfortunately, they only care about your work experience and you'd likely need several years of that to be considered. Also would've liked some feedback, but it was never provided.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC)

Interview

Usual Shopify interview - 1 code screening - 1 life story - 1 design - 2 code pairing I have nothing but positive things to say about my interviews. First step was the code screening, I was given a very easy problem and my interviewer was very clear about his expectations, it took me 10 min to finish. After that I had the life story interview with a recruiter, we just talked about my past experience during 1h, it was a nice chat. After the life story I made it to the last 3 interviews: a system design interview called “deep dive” where you will discuss with the interviewer the architecture of a system you know really well. You should prepare for this interview, since you will only have one hour and you’ll want to explain very clearly your system of choice. Then I had 2 pair programming sessions where I was given 2 different problems to solve, it’s not a requirement to finish your solution before the end of the interview but I was able to finish both problems and write tests. I got an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
  • Regular coding questions, leetcode level from easy to medium
1 person found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Received an email saying 'thanks for the interview but we've decided to pass' so I reached out to say that I didn't get an interview but would love the opportunity. They scheduled one and said I would hear back but never did. I've applied for other positions stating I would hear back by a certain date but never received any communication.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Despite what you can read on Shopify blogs or website - we hire people, not resumes - the recruiter was very focused on my job history and asked specifically about dates of employment. They weren’t even interested in what I was doing during that time at each company. And yes, I included my resume with the exact same information in the application. Later on, I was rejected because my experience was not what the team needed. It might have been just a template (not sure what’s worse) and of course, they have right to choose candidates based on whatever criteria they want but in the context of how the company describes their approach and culture, it was quite disappointing.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

I submitted my application through an employee referral who believed that I would be a good fit for the company. The application process is extensive so be prepared to put some time into it, I recommend completing the trial website even if you add a few features as it shows interest in the company. There is also a typing test that needs to be completed . After submitting my application I received an email early morning inviting me for the life story interview which I scheduled for the following Monday. The process is very easy as you can set the interview date to a time that suits your schedule as opposed to trying to fit it in with the interviewer. The lady who interviewed me was lovely and made me feel very at ease. It is conducted through google meets and is a very laid back interview. The life story interview is meant to be a chance for you to showcase your skills and experience and how that will relate to the job within Shopify. My only advice is to be yourself and don't sell yourself short, discuss work that you are proud of and anything you do in your spare time. The interview was around 30 mins and there was time at the end to ask questions, I really took this opportunity to ask the interviewer their personal experiences within Shopify and what they struggled with etc. I received an email the next day inviting me to the Technical Interview which I scheduled for the following Monday - giving me just under a week to prepare. I took the time to go through my trial website, practiced all the questions that had been asked on Glassdoor and learnt more about other services Shopify offers. The Technical interview is nerve wracking, I had to answer two questions from two different "merchants" (its just the interviewer pretending) in 15 minutes and then had to answer a phone call. I answered all the merchants successfully. My advice here is to basically switch between the two chats and maintain a rapport, do not leave a chat for too long. Also, make sure to connect with each merchant and get to know their business as well as linking relevant help documents after you have answered their question. The phone interview was a lot easier as you can chat and search at the same time. I received an email asking me for three references the day after, they conduct references through an online provider so make sure you have the emails of your references. I didn't hear anything for the rest of the week and was a little worried but exactly a week after asking for references I had a call offering me the job!

Interview Questions
  • How do i add product images? How do I make a product active? How do I link social media to Shopify?
13 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Asked for my age indirectly then focused on school graduation date and spent the rest of the conversation on questions that would give my birth date timeframe. When that failed, tried asking for hints about friends that would give away their age.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reggio nell'Emilia

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shopify (Reggio nell'Emilia)

Interview

I was interviewed by a data scientist and the whole technical interview lasted for an hour. It was fun but I didn’t solve the technical question on the spot. The interview was efficient and pretty short. I was told that there would be another interview to meet with the team if I passed the technical :(

Interview Questions
  • Technical question about algorithm time complexity and list data structure.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,108 Interviews