Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC) in July 2019.

Interview

My interview process lasted over 2 months (relaxed timeline on my part and not rushed), I had a quick phone chat at the beginning with a lead engineer and eventually went to the office to chat with the HR recruiter to discuss what the position is about and projects available. From then on, there is a coding test to test your capability to problem solve. Passing that, there is a half to full day's worth of interviews. They are skill related (coding), project discussions and also meeting some team members over lunch. I had a wonderful experience interviewing in the Montreal office and everyone has been extremely friendly and kind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you first experienced or had an opportunity to code?   Answer Question

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC) in June 2019.

Interview

Processus très bien organisé et ou on sentait un intérêt pour la personne et la candidature. Beaucoup d'entrevues avec différents intervenants ce qui nous permet d'avoir une bonne idée sur le fonctionnement de l'entreprise et sur le rôle.

Interview Questions

• Les questions n'étaient pas dirigées mais plutot une conversation.   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

J'ai postulé à une offre en anglais avec une candidature en français, le poste étant basé à Montréal. Une recruteuse de Toronto m'a demandé une traduction de ma candidature car elle n'était pas vraiment bilingue, à lui fournir dans les 36h. Je lui ai renvoyé une candidature en anglais dans l'après-midi. J'ai eu un entretien téléphonique (via Skype) 4 jours plus tard. Si j'avais été retenue, j'aurais vu la même recruteuse en entrevue.

Interview Questions

• Beaucoup de questions précises mais à la fois à côté de la plaque sur mon parcours.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Too extensive process compared to the brand value. They somehow started to consider themselves as the best employer. 1 Life Story, 1 coding exercise, 2 pair programming, 1 technical deepdive and 1 problem solving. Interviewee or Recruiter might lure you by recording wrong responses. It's not worth spending time for the interview process. Juniors can interview seniors and record wrong responses when they actually made an error. Would never interview for them again. There are many more great companies who respect candidates time and have better and open work culture. Managers and recruiters has their own egos if you deny them. Extremely small mentality mindset company with bad interview ethics. Interviewing with multiple people on the team I realized DS were mostly glorified DAs. Offer was not great as well for my profile.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I interviewed at Shopify in July 2020.

Interview

TL;DR avoid Shopify. There are a lot better companies out there.

I should have read the Glassdoor feedback here before even starting the interview process. Yes, it was indeed a waste of time. I had to contact the recruiter multiple times to get feedback, otherwise they would have happily ignored me, after having interviewed, without telling me the interview outcome. Very, very unprofessional.

Recruiter contacted me and chatted about about my background and why I was interested in Shopify. At the end of that conversation she was trying to get expected salary info from me, which I pointed out is an illegal question to ask in the State I live in. That was awkward, but I had to stand up for myself.

I had then a 1h technical interview and then puff, nothing for a while. Disappeared. After some pings the recruiter bothers to get back to me with the template regret answer. Such an unprofessional way to manage relationship.

Interview Questions

• Algorithmic question using Python. Some basic operation on a list with a few corner cases to think about.   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I interviewed for a UX / Web Developer role at Shopify. It took about 4 months, including a full day (8 hour) onsite in Toronto, 2 video pair programming, and 5 phone interviews. Overall it was an extremely negative experience, I found the code assessment developers (all white male “tech bro” types) to be seriously bias against women. I am an experienced Software Engineer and the Shopify developers I spoke with condescendingly talked down to me, aggressively interrupted me, and did not allow me to speak or demonstrate my skills. The recruiters I worked with were extremely slow and unreliable to response to emails and quite frankly, wasted my time - requiring me to do a total of 7 video/phone interviews in addition to fly internationally for a full 8 hour onsite interview before eventually rejecting me for a position.

I warn other women / POC developers and engineers to avoid Shopify. They will waste your time and disrespect you with their long, chaotic, and extremely bias interview process. My experience over 4 months and many long hours, and long emails with the Shopify hiring system - it is clearly a system designed to only hire more white male “tech bro” developers.

Don’t waste your time with their bias interview process that disrespects candidates.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Shopify in March 2020.

Interview

Applied online via a generic LinkedIn posting. There wasn't a job posted on LinkedIn. Just a generic page with 'Apply here and we will get back'. Had a round of interview with a recruiter. Received a reject 6 days later

Senior Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in March 2020.

Interview

The initial call was great and they prepared me for what their process was. They cancelled multiple interviews and blindly moved me through the process, but the third step (...my first interview) was with the most disinterested person I’ve ever interviewed with. All sorts of red flags and negative feelings from the design leader made me change my interest in Shopify.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

2 steps. 20 minute call asking just about you and then gauntlet which mimics support calls and live chat. You'll have to find the answers online while on the call/live chat.

Senior Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

Where to begin? The position itself was open for close to 6 months and it took a total of nine weeks for a resolution. There were serious gaps in communication from HR. Things like updates about where they were in the hiring process, what to expect during the process, and how close they were to making a decision were seriously lacking. Many HR people communicate frequently with candidates. This was not the case at Shopify. From the beginning HR interview until the follow-up with the hiring manager (almost a month later) I didn't get an email. When I did get an email finally there was very little acknowledgement about the time lapse.
    To that end, a candidate shouldn't have to wait 3-6 weeks for a decision. It makes the company look unorganized. I was relieved I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current job and what made you apply for this job at Shopify?   Answer Question

Retail Guru Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

It was an extremely long process. The first interview was 2 hours, then there is a test, then another interview and finally an in-person with the entire team. They clearly care you are more than what is on your resume. They are interested in people who know themselves, not just professionally but also personally.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.