Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Shopify

2.8

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC) in June 2019.

Interview

Processus très bien organisé et ou on sentait un intérêt pour la personne et la candidature. Beaucoup d'entrevues avec différents intervenants ce qui nous permet d'avoir une bonne idée sur le fonctionnement de l'entreprise et sur le rôle.

Interview Questions

• Les questions n'étaient pas dirigées mais plutot une conversation.   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

J'ai postulé à une offre en anglais avec une candidature en français, le poste étant basé à Montréal. Une recruteuse de Toronto m'a demandé une traduction de ma candidature car elle n'était pas vraiment bilingue, à lui fournir dans les 36h. Je lui ai renvoyé une candidature en anglais dans l'après-midi. J'ai eu un entretien téléphonique (via Skype) 4 jours plus tard. Si j'avais été retenue, j'aurais vu la même recruteuse en entrevue.

Interview Questions

• Beaucoup de questions précises mais à la fois à côté de la plaque sur mon parcours.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

The best interview process I've ever seen. Gave exact dates on when we would hear back (if passed through or rejected). Life Story is exactly what you think it would be. Casual talks with VERY friendly, passionate and smart people.

Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

Long process with multiple steps and people to meet. Conducted via Zoom. Had a few tests to complete, but nothing challenging. Would recommend setting up a Shopify store before interview to get comfortable with how things work.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify in February 2021.

Interview

I applied through their website careers page and shortly after I was invited to do a remote technical interview. Did not get an initial call or life story interview as stated in their hiring process, maybe due to their new remote initiative and volume of applicants.

The entire interview process was straight forward and explained clearly in the initial email. They were also quick to reply and follow-up.

The technical interview was a typical coding challenge. The interviewer was friendly, felt genuinely interested, and was there to answer any questions.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

There is a telephonic screening round of 15 min where they check your interest in the role and give you an opportunity to ask questions. The second round is life story interview where they give you an opportunity walk them through your journey and choices you have made in life to be where you are. The third round is with the hiring manager and TA team. I had a bad experience in life story interview because the interviewer was rushing through the interview and also was not exactly in the listening mode. I just felt it didn't justify the format of the life story interview. While the organisation does say that it demonstrates humane approach to interviewing I didn't experience the same during the life story interview. The interviewer was not welcoming and joined the call late too.

Interview Questions

• What brings you here?
      What are your responsibilities in your current role?
      What do you want to know about Shopify?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Role Interview

Interview

The interview process was interesting. Recruiter asked me a few questions about my experience. Didn’t seem to have any answers to my questions about the role. I shortly got a follow-up that I didn’t make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify in December 2020.

Interview

I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process with Shopify. I applied online through the careers section of the website and really took my time with the open response questions. I was contacted within the week to book my first 15-20 phone interview. I was asked a few questions about why I was interested in Shopify and to give an example of a recent challenge I overcame in my role (*hint follow the STAR model-- situation, task, action, results ;)).

I was contacted within a week after that to schedule my life story interview. My interviewer was incredibly thoughtful, patient, and very interested in hearing my unique background. I was prompted to start from high school, though I took my life story back even further to talk about the example my parents set for me, childhood, teenage years, high school, college, and post-grad and weaved a lot of the a-ha moments together that I feel shaped the person I am today. I felt very relaxed, heard, and seen.

Within about 2 weeks after this, I was asked to schedule my final interview: 2 back-to-back interviews with the Team Leads (the managerial position for which the position I'm applying for would report to). We went through situational questions and a deep dive of my resume, finding where my experience and values align with the company, mission, and position. There were a few questions that were a bit left field that I was unprepared for and did my best to show them my thought process, though was honest about where my knowledge of the industry/role fell short. I think I recovered pretty well, and would rate my confidence at an 8/10 after that interview. 2 weeks later, I was invited back to do another round of the final interview with different Team Leads. I studied very hard for this one and did my fair share of research on the questions/topics I fell a bit short of the first time around. The final, final interview went super well, it felt more casual, and about a week later, I received a phone call notifying me of a verbal offer, final offer pending conversations with my references :)

Overall super pleased with the experience, I felt it was very fair, thorough, and holistic. I could feel the strong employee-centric culture this organization has, and that was really important to me in my job search.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the entire Shopify system just went down due to technical difficulties and one of your accounts just had a big influencer post about their product on social media moments before and are now super upset?   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify in December 2020.

Interview

First interview was a conversation about my background/work experience/interest in Shopify. Second interview was a technical interview: in the first half, you find solutions for two simultaneous IM chats. Second half is a phone call where the interviewer plays the role of a customer with an issue. Third interview was the offer.

They recommend building your own storefront in preparation for the technical interview, which helped a lot. The phone call in particular was less about providing a straight forward answer (i.e. how to shut their store down,) and more about asking questions about the client, and trying to find a solution that would encourage them to stay. After both components of the technical interview, the interviewer asks what your thoughts were on the process, and how you feel you performed and what you would do differently, if anything.

Strategic Partnerships Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

First Interview with Talent team was a quick 15 minutes chat about what the role entails, 30 minutes Life Journey interview chatting through the resume and career journey , Interview with Hiring Manager presenting a case, Panel Interview

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions in the final. Focus on personal journey in the personal story --- more of a focus on the individual versus day to day work experience.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.