Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Shopify Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct, 2017

2.6

Customer Success Guru Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)).

Interview

First process: They ask you to use their platform by creating a fictitious store by following the steps mentioned in their job ad.
    Second process: Interviewed through Skype.
    Third process. Gauntlet test (Didn't reach this stage).

Front End Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I apply online with an referral. They email me back in just one week. The interview goes exactly as what people said about Life Story interview so my tips is going over all questions they have listed and try your best to sell yourself

Developer Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I applied online and they got back to me quite quickly. The first step was a 15 minute phone screen. After that, we had a skype interview. It was about 10 days after the initial phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Shopify. The rest were mainly behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)) in May-2017.

Interview

I had a call with a recruiter. It went well, though it was pretty basic. Recruiter wanted to know my goals and what I wanted to do next. I answered honestly that I was enthusiastic about more opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you are proud of?   1 Answer

Software Engineer - Privacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)) in April-2017.

Interview

I was found in Linkedin by an engineer from the hiring team. We exchanged a couple of e-mails and after that I was asked to schedule a chat with a recruiter. Some days later I had a 20 min screening talk with a recruiter via Skype. She was very friendly and asked me many professional and personal questions. She explained the interview process to me and what will come next. One week later I had two more interviews in a row via Skype, of 1 hour each. The first one was what they call a "Life Story" interview, with the same recruiter. The next one was a technical interview with one member of the hiring team. My felling was great about these two interviews. I liked a lot of what I heard and I think the reciprocal was true. Another technical interview was schedule for a week later, with an engineer from another team. This time he went more deep in the kind of projects I worked on, asked for examples, which kind of technology I used, open source vs non open source software, nothing too dificult. At the end I also had a good feeling about this last interview. They were very kind and friendly all the time, but no one was clear about what would be the decision points to be hired. A couple of days later, the recruiter called me on Skype to tell me that they decided to not continue with me, because apparently my knowledge of open source was not good. This was very disappointing because after all, open source tools are easy to learn, but security and DPP knowhow, and mindset, are not easy to find, and I know I could contribute with that to the company.

Interview Questions

• Life Story interview: Talk about yourself, where did you grow up? what your parents did for living? which kind of sports activities did you do at high school? why do you like programming? Why do you want to work for Shopify?   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 1 (specific): why did you like data privacy? do you know GDPR? Tell me about some projects you worked that were data privacy related.   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 2 (generalist): Tell me about your projects. Are you familiar with open source?   Answer Question

1 May, 2017 – Researcher and Coordinator

Hey,

Thanks so much for making time to leave us a review!

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed speaking to the different people on our team, and got a good feeling from the interviews, that’s... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shopify in March-2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Data Stores Engineer position, but I guess my application was passed on to a front end recruiter. He emailed me twice stating how excited he was to speak to me and was very interested in fielding my application with the different teams he worked with. I responded with my updated resume and got on a phone call with him. We spoke about my experience and went over some general questions about why I want to work at Shopify and what I am interested in working on.

The call concluded on 3/29 with the recruiter telling me that he will definitely get back to me by 4/5 and to follow up if I didn't receive anything from him by then. I followed up on 4/5 when I didn't receive anything by end of day. I didn't hear back at all for the remainder of the week.

Prior to 3/29 and even a few days after 3/29, the recruiter would respond very quickly to all my emails. I guess once he wasn't interested, I was just tossed aside. For a company that prides their recruiting process on responsiveness and professionalism, I definitely didn't feel that. I also did some research and it seemed like they really value candidates who can "draw the owl"(having an unfamiliar/unique opportunity and being able to figure out how to solve it). I was able to come across the CEO's reddit handle and messaged him directly to try to demonstrate my ability to "draw the owl." Nothing so far.

I don't think the recruiting process there is any different from anywhere else. Typical recruiters who don't care at all about candidates and are just looking to earn their commission or however those bottom-feeders make money.

Interview Questions

Shopify Response

1 May, 2017 – Researcher and Coordinator

Ugh, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience interviewing at Shopify.

We do try our best to follow up with every candidate, to let them know whether they are moving forward or not. Despite... More

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify in December-2016.

Interview

They reached out to be via linkedin to request an intro call. That was 15 minutes. I gave an overview of my career. Nora, the recruiter gave me an overview of the company, design team and growth from startup to large company.

This was followed by a 60-minute remote video interview with Nora. It was a storytelling interview that was an overview of my life. Nora was very personable and kind, and it was kind of fun. I asked her questions about herself too, because it was a bit odd to talk about myself endlessly. The last thing she told me during the interview was that she was going to chat with Design Leadership and get back to me.

From my perspective, I thought it went well, or at least ok. However, I never heard from her again. I sent a follow-up email a week later. I never heard back. It is ok that I didn't proceed forward in the process, as I could have been a bad fit for the team. However, I would have appreciated a courtesy email to let me know that.

Interview Questions

• It began with, Nora, the recruiter, told me a bit about her life path and story. She the asked me "Tell me about your life story."   1 Answer

Voice of KIT Interview

Interview

I didn't get a call to interview but I think it's important to note I received an email in the middle f the afternoon on Thanksgiving telling me thanks but no thanks. Strange timing to deliver bad news and unfortunate that the Shopify culture includes working on thanksgiving. Let the people take a break on the day thanks!

Interview Questions

• To write a response to a customer service question in the voice of KIT   Answer Question

28 Nov, 2016 – Director of Talent Acquistion

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback. The recruiter working on the Voice of Kit role actually lives and works in Canada. In Canada our thanksgiving holiday was early October and the team certainly took... More

Developer Relations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in July-2016.

Interview

Was recruited by Shopify. Had an initial phone call with a teammate. After that I had two in-person interviews, and a Skype interview with a remote teammate. I gave them my references, and am waiting to hear back now. The process has taken about a month.

Everyone I talked to so was so nice! Seriously. They were awesome. The interview process was very different from what I've experienced with other companies in the past. I felt like they really wanted to get to know who I was as a person a lot more than other companies.

Also I should mention, their recruitment team is so on top of things. I was told exactly what the process would be like, what interviews would entail, when to expect to hear back, etc. And they nailed it. There wasn't a lot of waiting and wondering, and there were no 'throw you off guard' surprises.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in May-2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.