Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC) in July 2019.

Interview

My interview process lasted over 2 months (relaxed timeline on my part and not rushed), I had a quick phone chat at the beginning with a lead engineer and eventually went to the office to chat with the HR recruiter to discuss what the position is about and projects available. From then on, there is a coding test to test your capability to problem solve. Passing that, there is a half to full day's worth of interviews. They are skill related (coding), project discussions and also meeting some team members over lunch. I had a wonderful experience interviewing in the Montreal office and everyone has been extremely friendly and kind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you first experienced or had an opportunity to code?   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

J'ai postulé à une offre en anglais avec une candidature en français, le poste étant basé à Montréal. Une recruteuse de Toronto m'a demandé une traduction de ma candidature car elle n'était pas vraiment bilingue, à lui fournir dans les 36h. Je lui ai renvoyé une candidature en anglais dans l'après-midi. J'ai eu un entretien téléphonique (via Skype) 4 jours plus tard. Si j'avais été retenue, j'aurais vu la même recruteuse en entrevue.

Interview Questions

• Beaucoup de questions précises mais à la fois à côté de la plaque sur mon parcours.   Answer Question

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Montreal, QC) in June 2019.

Interview

Processus très bien organisé et ou on sentait un intérêt pour la personne et la candidature. Beaucoup d'entrevues avec différents intervenants ce qui nous permet d'avoir une bonne idée sur le fonctionnement de l'entreprise et sur le rôle.

Interview Questions

• Les questions n'étaient pas dirigées mais plutot une conversation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in May 2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is your life story?   2 Answers
    • Have you been working on any personal projects?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shopify in March 2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Data Stores Engineer position, but I guess my application was passed on to a front end recruiter. He emailed me twice stating how excited he was to speak to me and was very interested in fielding my application with the different teams he worked with. I responded with my updated resume and got on a phone call with him. We spoke about my experience and went over some general questions about why I want to work at Shopify and what I am interested in working on.

The call concluded on 3/29 with the recruiter telling me that he will definitely get back to me by 4/5 and to follow up if I didn't receive anything from him by then. I followed up on 4/5 when I didn't receive anything by end of day. I didn't hear back at all for the remainder of the week.

Prior to 3/29 and even a few days after 3/29, the recruiter would respond very quickly to all my emails. I guess once he wasn't interested, I was just tossed aside. For a company that prides their recruiting process on responsiveness and professionalism, I definitely didn't feel that. I also did some research and it seemed like they really value candidates who can "draw the owl"(having an unfamiliar/unique opportunity and being able to figure out how to solve it). I was able to come across the CEO's reddit handle and messaged him directly to try to demonstrate my ability to "draw the owl." Nothing so far.

I don't think the recruiting process there is any different from anywhere else. Typical recruiters who don't care at all about candidates and are just looking to earn their commission or however those bottom-feeders make money.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Shopify?   1 Answer

Shopify Response

May 1, 2017 – Researcher and Coordinator

Ugh, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience interviewing at Shopify.

We do try our best to follow up with every candidate, to let them know whether they are moving forward or not. Despite... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

analyse a spread sheet create presentation, then based on that they will invite you out to the actual interview in Vegas, but you had to pass the first round to get the actual interview

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Charlotte, NC (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

There was a phone screening with a recruiter to see if the candidate was a good fit for the team in terms of personality. The second interview was scheduled for the next day. The second interview was technical and was based on sharing a document so the interviewer could watch the candidate's problem-solving strategies. The interview was entirely online/over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How can you create a table to store customer information?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Shopify in December 2017.

Interview

Recruiter call, one life story and another technical interview with hiring manager. The biggest problem is the recruiter does not reply at all for days. Took 10 days to schedule the first round and another 10 days for second round. The interviewers were always late. After that i tried to get the result or output of the previous round no answer. Just tell the candidate result let it be a NO. I am still waiting for the result. Shopify might be a good company but they need to be good at their first impression. Its so frustrating.

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I had a call with a recruiter. It went well, though it was pretty basic. Recruiter wanted to know my goals and what I wanted to do next. I answered honestly that I was enthusiastic about more opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you are proud of?   2 Answers

Front End Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I apply online with an referral. They email me back in just one week. The interview goes exactly as what people said about Life Story interview so my tips is going over all questions they have listed and try your best to sell yourself

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify in December 2016.

Interview

They reached out to be via linkedin to request an intro call. That was 15 minutes. I gave an overview of my career. Nora, the recruiter gave me an overview of the company, design team and growth from startup to large company.

This was followed by a 60-minute remote video interview with Nora. It was a storytelling interview that was an overview of my life. Nora was very personable and kind, and it was kind of fun. I asked her questions about herself too, because it was a bit odd to talk about myself endlessly. The last thing she told me during the interview was that she was going to chat with Design Leadership and get back to me.

From my perspective, I thought it went well, or at least ok. However, I never heard from her again. I sent a follow-up email a week later. I never heard back. It is ok that I didn't proceed forward in the process, as I could have been a bad fit for the team. However, I would have appreciated a courtesy email to let me know that.

Interview Questions

• It began with, Nora, the recruiter, told me a bit about her life path and story. She the asked me "Tell me about your life story."   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.