Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Shopify Interview Questions

Updated 17 Jul, 2018

2.7

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

J'ai postulé à une offre en anglais avec une candidature en français, le poste étant basé à Montréal. Une recruteuse de Toronto m'a demandé une traduction de ma candidature car elle n'était pas vraiment bilingue, à lui fournir dans les 36h. Je lui ai renvoyé une candidature en anglais dans l'après-midi. J'ai eu un entretien téléphonique (via Skype) 4 jours plus tard. Si j'avais été retenue, j'aurais vu la même recruteuse en entrevue.

Interview Questions

• Beaucoup de questions précises mais à la fois à côté de la plaque sur mon parcours.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in May-2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Shopify in March-2017.

Interview

I initially applied for a Data Stores Engineer position, but I guess my application was passed on to a front end recruiter. He emailed me twice stating how excited he was to speak to me and was very interested in fielding my application with the different teams he worked with. I responded with my updated resume and got on a phone call with him. We spoke about my experience and went over some general questions about why I want to work at Shopify and what I am interested in working on.

The call concluded on 3/29 with the recruiter telling me that he will definitely get back to me by 4/5 and to follow up if I didn't receive anything from him by then. I followed up on 4/5 when I didn't receive anything by end of day. I didn't hear back at all for the remainder of the week.

Prior to 3/29 and even a few days after 3/29, the recruiter would respond very quickly to all my emails. I guess once he wasn't interested, I was just tossed aside. For a company that prides their recruiting process on responsiveness and professionalism, I definitely didn't feel that. I also did some research and it seemed like they really value candidates who can "draw the owl"(having an unfamiliar/unique opportunity and being able to figure out how to solve it). I was able to come across the CEO's reddit handle and messaged him directly to try to demonstrate my ability to "draw the owl." Nothing so far.

I don't think the recruiting process there is any different from anywhere else. Typical recruiters who don't care at all about candidates and are just looking to earn their commission or however those bottom-feeders make money.

Interview Questions

Shopify Response

1 May, 2017 – Researcher and Coordinator

Ugh, really sorry to hear you had a bad experience interviewing at Shopify.

We do try our best to follow up with every candidate, to let them know whether they are moving forward or not. Despite... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in June-2017.

Interview

analyse a spread sheet create presentation, then based on that they will invite you out to the actual interview in Vegas, but you had to pass the first round to get the actual interview

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shopify (Charlotte, NC (US)) in December-2014.

Interview

There was a phone screening with a recruiter to see if the candidate was a good fit for the team in terms of personality. The second interview was scheduled for the next day. The second interview was technical and was based on sharing a document so the interviewer could watch the candidate's problem-solving strategies. The interview was entirely online/over the phone.

Interview Questions

• How can you create a table to store customer information?   Answer Question

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)) in May-2017.

Interview

I had a call with a recruiter. It went well, though it was pretty basic. Recruiter wanted to know my goals and what I wanted to do next. I answered honestly that I was enthusiastic about more opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you are proud of?   1 Answer

Front End Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I apply online with an referral. They email me back in just one week. The interview goes exactly as what people said about Life Story interview so my tips is going over all questions they have listed and try your best to sell yourself

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify in December-2016.

Interview

They reached out to be via linkedin to request an intro call. That was 15 minutes. I gave an overview of my career. Nora, the recruiter gave me an overview of the company, design team and growth from startup to large company.

This was followed by a 60-minute remote video interview with Nora. It was a storytelling interview that was an overview of my life. Nora was very personable and kind, and it was kind of fun. I asked her questions about herself too, because it was a bit odd to talk about myself endlessly. The last thing she told me during the interview was that she was going to chat with Design Leadership and get back to me.

From my perspective, I thought it went well, or at least ok. However, I never heard from her again. I sent a follow-up email a week later. I never heard back. It is ok that I didn't proceed forward in the process, as I could have been a bad fit for the team. However, I would have appreciated a courtesy email to let me know that.

Interview Questions

• It began with, Nora, the recruiter, told me a bit about her life path and story. She the asked me "Tell me about your life story."   1 Answer

Developer Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I applied online and they got back to me quite quickly. The first step was a 15 minute phone screen. After that, we had a skype interview. It was about 10 days after the initial phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join Shopify. The rest were mainly behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Developer Relations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in July-2016.

Interview

Was recruited by Shopify. Had an initial phone call with a teammate. After that I had two in-person interviews, and a Skype interview with a remote teammate. I gave them my references, and am waiting to hear back now. The process has taken about a month.

Everyone I talked to so was so nice! Seriously. They were awesome. The interview process was very different from what I've experienced with other companies in the past. I felt like they really wanted to get to know who I was as a person a lot more than other companies.

Also I should mention, their recruitment team is so on top of things. I was told exactly what the process would be like, what interviews would entail, when to expect to hear back, etc. And they nailed it. There wasn't a lot of waiting and wondering, and there were no 'throw you off guard' surprises.