Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not enough vegan snacks in the kitchen, work/life balance can take a hit at times since we are always pioneering and shifting resources quickly (in 10 reviews)

• You will regularly be criticized and shamed in large meetings for not working long hours or for any minor mistake you've made (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happiest I've ever been in my career"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture - The culture at Flipp is exactly what I want and need from a company. The heavy stress on being open, honest and putting the team first are the values that I personally hold to be very important. The culture and openness of the leadership team makes this the best place I have worked in my career.

- People - The people at Flipp are the best I've worked with in my career. The leadership and talent team does an incredible job finding some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is of such a high caliber, and I have a lot of respect for everyone. I love the people that I work with, and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

- Challenging work - The problems that we're trying to solve are challenging and it is rewarding to try out solutions and make improvements as we learn.

- Growth and coaching - The emphasis on everyone continually growing, and expecting everyone to coach each other in one way or another is a big plus for me as well.

I can honestly say it is the happiest I've ever been in my career. I can genuinely say that I love my job and I love what I do.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that when the end of the day comes, I am disappointed that the time goes by so quickly during the day.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue with intense focus on maintaining the culture. Continue listening to the employees and make adjustments as needed.

"Tremendous growth opportunities"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's so much room for growth. The company is still young, which means they are committed to nurturing from within, and promoting people quickly if they've earned it. When it comes to the culture, the people are amazing. I know that my team and my manager has my back, and that's not the truth in other companies.

Cons

There can sometimes be a lack of guidance due to different natures of your jobs. You have to take a "figure-it-out" mentality, which isn't always bad but can sometimes get stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep on being transparent with our progress and goals. It's great to see those during Big Scrum.

"Great Company to work at"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, great environment, lots of perks and snacks, free metropass, amazing health and dental plan options

Cons

A little far to downtown Toronto.

"Cool company, give them a shot but watch your back."

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

Innovative tech, great benefits, nice culture, super smart and collaborative people. The office is very trendy. The employee is given everything they need to succeed and make an impact. Leadership (Lighthouse) is genuinely doing the best they can to take the company to the next level.

Cons

There is a sub-culture filled with politicians and manipulators. Unfortunately, this led to my departure and turned a very good experience into a horrible one. Too many backroom decisions being made for / forced on you regarding your path without awareness, direct communication, or details. Lots of team health issues and lots of complaining. Frequent strategy pivots.

Advice to Management

I have a lot of respect for what the founders have accomplished and the organization they have built. My only advice is that "coaches" prevent bad situations like the one I experienced from happening in the first place, even if it means challenging another "coach". There needs to be closer governance of these "coaches" to ensure they are being ethical.

"Fantastic work culture and work community!"

Current Employee - Project Lead
    Current Employee - Project Lead

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intentional coaching, plenty of internal opportunities to grow, amazing community and work culture, great work perks and benefits, FREE TTC metropass to save on that commute in.

Cons

You can often find yourself taking work home, high turnover in the Sales department.

"Ranks in the top 5 tech companies in Toronto"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people. Flipp has some of the nicest people I've ever encountered at a workplace. Everyone is extremely friendly, willing to help, and coworkers often hang out outside of work.
    - Transparent and open culture. Information is freely available and everyone is encouraged to give their opinions.
    - As a developer, the compensation is definitely above industry standard in Canada
    - Great opportunity to work on products that actually affect millions of people every day
    - Work from home whenever you want, no questions asked.
    - Company's prospects look good for the foreseeable future.
    - Free lunch on Fridays. Great health plan. Office toys and other misc perks.

Cons

- Flipp moves fast ... sometimes a little too fast. Sudden and drastic shifts in strategy are not uncommon, so don't be surprised if something that is mission-critical suddenly becomes less important the next day
    - Depending on your specific department, things can get hectic at times, especially around Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Slow down from time-to-time and get buy-in/feedback on strategy from senior team members before cascading information to the entire organization.

"Good Place for a Data Analytics Job"

Current Employee - Analyst, Insights & Analytics in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Analyst, Insights & Analytics in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company as a whole:
    - Great culture
    - Very horizontal structure: the founders know you by name despite the company being 400 people
    - Smart, hardworking, nice, straight-forward people
    - Good pay (including benefits, health insurance, metro pass)
    - Perks (free snacks, lunches, bi-annual trips, etc)

Specific to Analytics/Insights:
    - Interesting analytics projects
    - Big emphasis on automating "ordinary" tasks: more time to do cool projects
    - If you have a good idea, people actually encourage you to try it
    - Training on analytics topics (i.e. stats, machine learning, big data platforms)
    - You can use what tools you like (E.g. Python, R, SQL)
    - You will be working with big data platforms, and will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge tools/languages (e.g. Pyspark, Scala)
    - Collaboration and sharing across the wider "data team"

Cons

- Less hierarchy means less structure: this isn't necessarily a con, but if you're coming from a more structured environment, this will take getting used to (and will annoy you at first)
    - More meetings than necessary
    - Can be stressful at times
    - Flipp employees are generally young and full of life, which can make it a bit noisy

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"On the Right Track"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging/Interesting work
    - Tons of potential for career growth
    - Great colleagues
    - Competitive pay
    - Great benefits
    - Amazing office space
    - Work life balance

Cons

- Engineering culture not as strong as I would like (but its getting better)
    - Growing pains from rapid company expansion
    - Desire to move fast and innovate can result in confusing messaging and false starts

"Not a great place to work"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If the company had a positive environment, this list would be long. Unfortunately, I'd take the negative reviews more seriously than the positive ones.

Cons

I have been at flipp for over a year now and it has by far been an uncomfortable place to work. Your manager does not have your back because he/she needs to look out of themselves. Everyone seems to be working out of fear here, including my self.

You are overworked 7 days of the week. They talk about doing a health check but they don't care. If you have a family, say your goodbyes to them. I barely see my family now.

Advice to Management

To the management team and to the HR head - about time these feedbacks are seriously looked into. Maybe start with the top and work your way down. With the people who have quit, ask yourself why must they leave a company so fast. I don't remember it been this bad when I had joined flipp last year. Now when I read these reviews, they are exactly how it is at flipp.

"Proud to be a part of this inspiring team"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-In my role, I am fortunate enough to work closely with the executive team at Flipp. They created a company that has a team-first approach where culture is at the centre of everything. As the company has now grown to over 350 people, this still holds true and is one of the key reasons why I love working here

-The freedom and responsibility I am given including a flexible work approach is more important to me than the traditional perks at other companies I have worked for

-There is a focus on communication so that team members have clarity on priorities which means everyone is on the same page

-The leaders at our company are invested in my growth path and take the time for coaching

-The passion from the team to continually innovate is inspiring to always to do my best

-Our teams take a test and learn approach which means we can execute quickly and always be ahead of the curve

Cons

-The fast-paced and dynamic nature of the industry can be challenging for those who want a 9-5 job

-High growth and innovation comes with unchartered territory. We often have to pave our own path which an be uncomfortable for some

Advice to Management

As the company grows, many team members don’t have a chance to get to know the founders. Set up an initiative, such as coffee chats, so that there is an environment for relationship building and two-way feedback.