Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan

Pros
  • I appreciate the flexibility to work from home and that Flipp took different working styles into consideration when they designed the office (in 8 reviews)

• Quarterly company events and monthly team bonding events (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough vegan snacks in the kitchen, work/life balance can take a hit at times since we are always pioneering and shifting resources quickly (in 11 reviews)

• You will regularly be criticized and shamed in large meetings for not working long hours or for any minor mistake you've made (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happiest I've ever been in my career"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture - The culture at Flipp is exactly what I want and need from a company. The heavy stress on being open, honest and putting the team first are the values that I personally hold to be very important. The culture and openness of the leadership team makes this the best place I have worked in my career.

- People - The people at Flipp are the best I've worked with in my career. The leadership and talent team does an incredible job finding some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is of such a high caliber, and I have a lot of respect for everyone. I love the people that I work with, and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

- Challenging work - The problems that we're trying to solve are challenging and it is rewarding to try out solutions and make improvements as we learn.

- Growth and coaching - The emphasis on everyone continually growing, and expecting everyone to coach each other in one way or another is a big plus for me as well.

I can honestly say it is the happiest I've ever been in my career. I can genuinely say that I love my job and I love what I do.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that when the end of the day comes, I am disappointed that the time goes by so quickly during the day.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue with intense focus on maintaining the culture. Continue listening to the employees and make adjustments as needed.

"Best Culture, Best Team, Never Leaving"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment, great team members, feels like working with family in a clubhouse rather than regular work, very innovative and always looking for new ideas, feedback is regularly given, great compensation and incentives

Cons

Advice to Management

You rock, don't ever change! Keep innovating, communicating with your employees and making everyone feel like they matter and their job is important.

"UnREAL"

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The view from some sides of the building is really nice and you can see downtown Toronto.
    * The kitchen is well stocked with some of my favorites.
    * Coffee machine has more than your usual options. There are some interesting seasonal offerings like pumpkin spice and such.
    * The benefits package is best I ever had!

Cons

- I've been at Flipp a little bit over 6 months and it is by far the weirdest/worst place I've worked at. I joined Flipp the same week as 4 other people. It's been just a few months and they are all gone. Some left on their own and others were let go.

- This place reminds me of a soap opera or a terrible reality show where contests are expected to fight each other off for a chance to win some prize. Work environment is full of conflicts, rivaling alliances and gossip. Most people are alright but are terrified of the CEO who yells at employees of all ranks on a daily basis. The fear leads people to behave in ugly ways.

- The difference between what I was told in the interview to what my day to day looks like is astonishing. I was led to believe my position would have a much larger scope and responsibilities. Instead, I do a lot of mundane boring tasks for long hours every day. Innovation and pushing boundaries are not common concepts at Flipp. Ideas are good if they're coming from the CEO but not from anyone else.

Advice to Management

Flipp is turning out to be one of the least desirable companies to work at in Toronto. Rumors of the culture are no longer quarantined within Flipp, and you if you keep going like this, you won't be able to hire anyone.

Flipp Response

20 Jun, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’ve built this company on transparency, and I apologize if this hasn’t been your experience at Flipp so far. We want to address ... More

"Flipp"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Strong work hard/play hard ethic
    + Fantastic, friendly group of people who care about the little things
    + Very efficient hiring process
    + Challenging work!

Cons

- None that I've found so far :)

"Live by Work Hard/Play Hard"

Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team at Flipp is unmatched - I left Flipp with life long friends. Everyone is always willing to help and support one another through any challenges that are faced. Each individual is valued and has their own coach to help mentor and support with growth opportunities. Employee satisfaction is very important to Flipp. Visibility should be important to employees at any company, Flipp makes the companies successes, goals and failures known to everyone at all times. I would highly recommend Flipp to anyone hungry for a challenging, fun and rewarding opportunity.

Cons

Be prepared for a busy holiday season! It's important at Flipp to continuously manage your capacity, as you may end up taking on too much and not realize it until you're drowning in work.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide visibility and clarity as the team scales

"Good perks isn't going to save you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks including free food, snacks and metropass. Nice office space.

Cons

Do you really want to work for a company just for great perks? Or a company with real vision with healthy management and smart people with right attitude?

If you really look into Flipp before your interview, you will find that they will try to sell you the job with their perks. You should really reconsider and ask yourself if that is going to save you in a long term. You should go find a company that has clear vision.

Current Flipp no longer has vision for next step and they are pushing everyone so hard due to lack of clear leadership on where to go for next growth.

Whole company's direction is decided by single man's ideas and gut feeling which has caused all the failures in the recent past projects and sales people are struggling to sell.

I feel sorry for people who gets so excited about working for Flipp and telling people how they are so happy working there and only good things they can talk about is their perks.

"The Uber of Toronto without the succsful product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not an easy requirement coming up with 20 word minimum of pros to Flipp. The snacks are awesome and you can work from once a week if you feel like it. The benefits is equivalent to government offices.

Cons

Such a toxic environment that many of the employees joke about how it resembles the infamous Uber culture. The only difference is that you don't get the extremely high pay or get to work on great product like Uber. Instead, you're stuck in Etobicoke fixing flyer bugs or uploading coupons to the website.
    As a team lead, I interview many people, some of them really good and lie to them about the great culture and how much I love the place. I feel guilty knowing they'll be leaving decent work places to come to Flipp only to most likely be fired a few months after. Either new hires will make a minor mistake, or disagree with a project manager/employee who hasve been there for a while or just that a project won't go well and someone will need to be blamed and fired. I've sat into too many meetings where managers casually deciding on terminating individuals to be silent. They don't view employees as people with kids, mortgages and careers, but more like disposable plastic plates. Use once, get what you need, and throw away.

Advice to Management

Look around you and see what you turned this company into. Don't hire people just to fire them.

Flipp Response

20 Jun, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback- this is an important part of helping us evolve as a company. We look at the lives of our team members when looking to create the ... More

"Negative Experience"

Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I work with are really great. I see myself hanging out with them after I leave for another job. Snacks and free lunches on Friday and a nice spacious office.
    it's a pretty good place to work right after school to prove yourself before moving to another place. You'll work on different projects and get exposure you might not get at a big company.

Cons

The expectations at Flipp are crazy! The product Flipp develops might be above average, but the cost of it is too much. So many in my team have burnt out after a few months. Having a life outside of work is almost impossible, and you're expected to be available on weekends and nights. Sales targets set are not realistic to achieve and I doubt any one in my team is going to meet their quota. However, we are constantly being yelled at for not making those numbers. I tried discussing it with senior managers, but no one cared. I'm all for working hard, but working over 13 hours a day 7 days a week is more than I bargained for.
    Mistakes are not tolerated at Flipp, and I triple check everything I do in fear of being publicly criticized for it in front of my colleagues by senior management. They also really micromanage you all the time, with several meetings a day to check your progress. I honestly hate gong there every day and can't wait to leave!

Advice to Management

Work on the company culture, it's too clique-ish with a very clear separation between co founders and the rest. Understand that employees need some free time after work to build their relationships and spend time with their families and kids.

"Never Thought I Would Love My Job So Much"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office space and people are phenomenal and really make for a family feel. One thing I love is that there's a lot of room for growth and as the company is constantly changing, you are always learning. The work is fun and challenging and the people really make it.

Cons

Can get crazy during the holidays but having such a supportive team makes it way better and fun.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating such an awesome place to work

"Solving Tough Problems with Amazing People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the company is growing quickly, there is rapid growth and learning opportunities. Every day there is a new challenge and problem to solve which is awesome. The team also really makes it. You get to work with some of the smartest and most kind people and that really adds a lot.

The office space, benefits and perks are also great.

Cons

Teams get re-organized regularly which can create some growing pains, but it also leads to tons of new learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage coaching