Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wehuns Tan

Pros
  • Quarterly company events and monthly team bonding events (in 11 reviews)

• The company provides good work home balance, many of the employees work from home when needed (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance in most departments - it starts to seem normal to feel panicky if you cant check your phone for an hour (in 9 reviews)

• Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happiest I've ever been in my career"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture - The culture at Flipp is exactly what I want and need from a company. The heavy stress on being open, honest and putting the team first are the values that I personally hold to be very important. The culture and openness of the leadership team makes this the best place I have worked in my career.

- People - The people at Flipp are the best I've worked with in my career. The leadership and talent team does an incredible job finding some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is of such a high caliber, and I have a lot of respect for everyone. I love the people that I work with, and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

- Challenging work - The problems that we're trying to solve are challenging and it is rewarding to try out solutions and make improvements as we learn.

- Growth and coaching - The emphasis on everyone continually growing, and expecting everyone to coach each other in one way or another is a big plus for me as well.

I can honestly say it is the happiest I've ever been in my career. I can genuinely say that I love my job and I love what I do.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that when the end of the day comes, I am disappointed that the time goes by so quickly during the day.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue with intense focus on maintaining the culture. Continue listening to the employees and make adjustments as needed.

2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Flipp (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free Friday Lunch
    - Ping pong/pool/board games/FIFA
    - Great Culture/people
    - Company trips and events
    - Casual dress code

Cons

None that really come to mind. A small annoyance (which they don't really have control over) is that the office is located in the far West end of Toronto, but the ability to work from home alleviates that a little. Keep up the good work and continue to improve!

3. "Flipp"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Strong work hard/play hard ethic
    + Fantastic, friendly group of people who care about the little things
    + Very efficient hiring process
    + Challenging work!

Cons

- None that I've found so far :)

"Live by Work Hard/Play Hard"

Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team at Flipp is unmatched - I left Flipp with life long friends. Everyone is always willing to help and support one another through any challenges that are faced. Each individual is valued and has their own coach to help mentor and support with growth opportunities. Employee satisfaction is very important to Flipp. Visibility should be important to employees at any company, Flipp makes the companies successes, goals and failures known to everyone at all times. I would highly recommend Flipp to anyone hungry for a challenging, fun and rewarding opportunity.

Cons

Be prepared for a busy holiday season! It's important at Flipp to continuously manage your capacity, as you may end up taking on too much and not realize it until you're drowning in work.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide visibility and clarity as the team scales

"Negative Experience"

Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I work with are really great. I see myself hanging out with them after I leave for another job. Snacks and free lunches on Friday and a nice spacious office.
    it's a pretty good place to work right after school to prove yourself before moving to another place. You'll work on different projects and get exposure you might not get at a big company.

Cons

The expectations at Flipp are crazy! The product Flipp develops might be above average, but the cost of it is too much. So many in my team have burnt out after a few months. Having a life outside of work is almost impossible, and you're expected to be available on weekends and nights. Sales targets set are not realistic to achieve and I doubt any one in my team is going to meet their quota. However, we are constantly being yelled at for not making those numbers. I tried discussing it with senior managers, but no one cared. I'm all for working hard, but working over 13 hours a day 7 days a week is more than I bargained for.
    Mistakes are not tolerated at Flipp, and I triple check everything I do in fear of being publicly criticized for it in front of my colleagues by senior management. They also really micromanage you all the time, with several meetings a day to check your progress. I honestly hate gong there every day and can't wait to leave!

Advice to Management

Work on the company culture, it's too clique-ish with a very clear separation between co founders and the rest. Understand that employees need some free time after work to build their relationships and spend time with their families and kids.

7. "Awesome place to work for"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone challenges and coaches each other
    You work shoulder to shoulder with very smart colleagues
    Lots of learning opportunities
    You win as a team

Cons

Flipp has a really high bar when it comes to hiring. Result: Tons of work, less people

Advice to Management

Keep up the great momentum. Pay attention to employee work/life balance.

"Regular shaming"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

You're incentivized with gift cards to leave positive reviews on sites like these. Some of the people there are alright and don't buy into all the brainwashing.

Cons

You will regularly be criticized and shamed in large meetings for not working long hours or for any minor mistake you've made. You can even be criticized for things not in your job description, like not having enough friends. There is at least one person fired every week, often much more. They have regular meetings where they ask employees to open their LinkedIn and suggest people to fill roles that they can't fill, because no one will recommend their friends. Lots of people interview here, then if they're lucky enough, hear about how bad it is, and quit the interview process.

Advice to Management

Management should pay attention to the bad reviews, and work hard to improve the way they treat their employees instead of offering gift cards for positive reviews.

"Not what you think - stressful and unprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company looks really awesome when you first walk into the office. You have fun stuff like ping pong, Foosball, Playstations, TVs and plenty of board games for staff to play during non-work hours.
    - Benefits package is good and work from home is acceptable without any issues.
    - Pay in on par with other tech companies.
    - Some people are really great and you can make friends pretty easily.

Cons

- Work environment is very stressful, not so much the tasks you're given to do or even the long work hours you have to put in. Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing. As a result, many employees get scared and blame others before they get blamed. In the end, each failure leads to several people getting fired, regardless of whether they actually had something to do with the failed project.
    - While some teams are okay to be on such as OPS, as a developer, I find there are lots of better options in Toronto with equivalent pay or higher. The long hours, constant fear and stress aren't worth it, not even for free lunches.
    - Too many meetings where you have to update different stakeholders on your progress. Most of the managers are not from a technical background and don't know what you're talking about. Learning opportunities are limited being far from downtown and not being able to attend meetups because you're working till very late.
    - You have to be very careful with what you say to other employees out of fear for your job. You're expect to fake happiness at all times and never criticize the culture or the management team.

Advice to Management

Try to look into the real issues of Flipp and why so many leave after several months. Instead of giving people gift cards to write positive reviews, work on creating a work environment where those reviews actually reflect reality.

"Never Thought I Would Love My Job So Much"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office space and people are phenomenal and really make for a family feel. One thing I love is that there's a lot of room for growth and as the company is constantly changing, you are always learning. The work is fun and challenging and the people really make it.

Cons

Can get crazy during the holidays but having such a supportive team makes it way better and fun.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating such an awesome place to work

"Solving Tough Problems with Amazing People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the company is growing quickly, there is rapid growth and learning opportunities. Every day there is a new challenge and problem to solve which is awesome. The team also really makes it. You get to work with some of the smartest and most kind people and that really adds a lot.

The office space, benefits and perks are also great.

Cons

Teams get re-organized regularly which can create some growing pains, but it also leads to tons of new learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage coaching