Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.1
Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan
Pros
Cons
  • "No work/life balance - the culture is filled with hypocrisy(in 15 reviews)

• "Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing place to grow your career"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

- Flipp is a company that absolutely stays true to who it is. The founders and execs have built a culture that is lasting and they invest in their people and teams. - Flipp really is the type of company that will make room for you to grow if you showcase your value. If you raise your hand and show that you're willing to work hard, Flipp will make space for you to do your thing. I have always had my coaches be receptive to my interests and career aspirations and have also had them ask me how they can help get me to where I want to go.

Cons

- Like any startup, Flipp has gone through growing pains. There have been company pivots in strategy and vision and there have been times where changes in company strategy have affected the company in challenging ways. The ability to pivot and be agile is important here and I can see how the pace can be a challenge.

Flipp2019-02-24
  2. "Great Work Environment"

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) The culture is second to none. Everyone is so nice and supportive. People are honest and direct. I have worked at a ton of places and none has been half as good as Flipp. I really don't understand the complaints on here, this place is awesome. 2) The pay is competitive, but the benefits and stock are amazing. I'm not sure anyone understands, but the stock you get at most companies is worthless. At Flipp they give you REAL value. 3) The mission is pretty cool. I think the messaging recently has been kind of off, but I am excited about finally working at a place that has some real benefit to people's lives. I heard management talk about that at a company meeting and it really stuck with me. When I think about all the places I have worked, none had a business built around saving money and making an impact. I think that's pretty cool. 4) The people are so nice. Try working at another tech company or consulting. It's terrible.

Cons

1) I mean, it's a tech company. There are ups and downs and there is a lot of hard work. If that's not your thing, this could be a con. 2) The location is on the subway line, but I'm not the biggest fan of Etobicoke. 3) The company is going through some transition (but I feel like most of us understand that its necessary).

Flipp2020-02-19
  3. "Pretty Good Place! - Alot of recent reviews clearly havent worked in many places"

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and perks! Regardless of what many recent reviews (most likely people who have been laid off) the culture is still top notch! Its funny that many people are complaining about not getting free work paid trips, etc. They still go above an beyond! 1-2 days Working from home, AMAZINGGG Benefits which almost make it worth alone, free friday lunch, snacks, I mean they still have a nap room! So much engagement!

Cons

Some typical millennial attitudes (see some other negative reviews and have yourself a chuckle). Alot of people treat the perks and environment as though they deserve it and clearly have never worked in a corporate or work heavy environment. Can get rather annoying, many assumptions that if you work in role X for X days you will automatically get a promotion. Alot of people take alot this company does for them for granted.

Flipp2020-02-18

"Visionless work environment"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to work from home. Nothing else

Cons

Lots of layoffs, benefit cuts, no concrete vision. The place looks to be going to the ground

Flipp2020-02-20
  5. "Focus on growth is strong!"

Current Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot and got great mentoring from many seniors and team leads during my time at Flipp. Lots of people up for listening to new ideas to how to make Flipp and the Software side of the business relevant and exciting.

Cons

Position/Salary growth is a bit slow but thats everywhere in software these days.

Flipp2020-02-03

"Avoid at all costs."

Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp

Pros

I joined Flipp’s engineering team with high hopes, having been sold on great opportunities and a great culture. I soon realized I had been lied to by an inexperienced recruiter. Flipp preaches a great culture, caring about individuals and their 4 quadrants but really they will work you to the bone, squeeze every last ounce of energy out of you and they don’t care. They also preach a meritocracy environment, when in reality, promotions are based on favoritism which has lead to many inexperienced “managers”. There are some great people here, although most of us plan to move on after the latest mass firing.

Cons

Management have no idea what they’re doing. The latest addition to the executive leadership team is someone with absolutely no tech knowledge and it shows every time she presents at big scrum. It’s embarrassing to witness.

Flipp2020-02-06

"Disappointed - Mass Firing"

Former Employee - N/A in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I started it was an amazing opportunity for me. The people are truly phenomenal, most management puts a lot of effort ensuring the right people get hired for the job and mesh well with existing teams. Free friday lunches and snacks at all times, great benefits, amazing company wide trips, working from home whenever you want within reason, no cold shoulder when you're sick, they really care about your well being and work vs. personal life balance. Regardless of high level "vision" which indeed did seem to be ever-changing, I truly loved going into work every day and felt as if I was valuable to the company.

Cons

After almost 3 years of me working my butt off for the company, they had yet again, another MASS FIRING. 70+ people laid off on the same day. Some for performance, which granted, needs to happen. Some based purely on the fact that upper management didn't do their jobs to better sustain certain team members, including me. I put a lot into Flipp and was wiling to continue to do so. I had seen the signs of this happening, I can't say I was completely surprised unfortunately and am not one to shame based on rash feelings. I understand why this happened, and know that my services will be well appreciated somewhere else, but the way they went about this "mass firing" lumping us all in together, some over the phone, some on maternity leave, giving us little to no explanation and handling our questions, emails, replies etc. with what seemed like very little care is unforgivable. I felt completely forgotten and truly set up for pure failure. I continually got told that I was valuable, and that "this was one of the hard ones" but no follow up as to what actually happened. The little clarity given and the little respect for my time and life was shocking. Everything they preach prior you being out that door sounds good until you're on the other side of it realizing it's just talk and no follow through. The amount I had to continuously email, call, to get clarity on things like my severance just to turn up with no response for days was completely frustrating and unprofessional. The team that was dealing with all this is small, but yet again, Flipp bit off more than they can chew and didn't properly prepare. I was Flipp's #1 cheerleader, and this has left me with nothing but resentment and disappointment in not only the Company but the founders/upper management.

Flipp2019-12-11

"Way in over their head"

Former Employee - Operations in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Before they eliminated it- the Friday catered lunches, and the office layout (reduced from 5 to 3 floors)

Cons

The HR team was in way over its head with these mass layoffs. Poor communication, leaving a bad taste in people's mouths. There is absolutely no vision or objective per functional team. People just did what they wanted. You can work hard on something to learn that it was no longer required. Lets not even get started on the org. chart - this is the most complicated organization I've ever worked at in terms of structure.

Flipp2019-12-16

"A lot of changing, shifting... wild ride"

Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people work here. They are awesome and direct team members are supportive, easy to communicate with, always hands on deck team-attitude (this is true of 90% of teams at Flipp). Great benefits, decent payroll standards, used to have VERY fun summer and winter trips to Muskoka/Blue Mountain etc... awesome events planned out throughout the years. Very flexible in terms of Work From Home policies.

Cons

Where do I even start... A lot of things have been shifting for a while now. There is no priority set on certain teams right now, and lots of false hope is instilled in us in terms of vision and future opportunities of growth for most. Be cautious of this company - management pivots and changes their mind way too often, there is lots of miscommunication amongst management and different departments. There was a recent mass lay-off in the company, and people are waking up to just how much has changed in such a little amount of time. For people that have been here for a long time, it is a bit disappointing, but priorities are changing and you have to keep up or else this isn't for you.

Flipp2019-11-22

"Leadership is a joke"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friday catered lunch, WFH options, gym membership.

Cons

Leadership is a joke; run by a man-child CEO who pivots the company based on his "inspiring article" of the month. There have been mass firings but yet the problem employee, the CEO, remains? This is the crux of the problem.

Flipp2020-01-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 164 reviews