Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wehuns Tan

Pros
  • Quarterly company events and monthly team bonding events (in 11 reviews)

• Trust is extended by default with flexible work from home policy and schedule (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance in most departments - it starts to seem normal to feel panicky if you cant check your phone for an hour (in 9 reviews)

• Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happiest I've ever been in my career"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture - The culture at Flipp is exactly what I want and need from a company. The heavy stress on being open, honest and putting the team first are the values that I personally hold to be very important. The culture and openness of the leadership team makes this the best place I have worked in my career.

- People - The people at Flipp are the best I've worked with in my career. The leadership and talent team does an incredible job finding some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is of such a high caliber, and I have a lot of respect for everyone. I love the people that I work with, and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

- Challenging work - The problems that we're trying to solve are challenging and it is rewarding to try out solutions and make improvements as we learn.

- Growth and coaching - The emphasis on everyone continually growing, and expecting everyone to coach each other in one way or another is a big plus for me as well.

I can honestly say it is the happiest I've ever been in my career. I can genuinely say that I love my job and I love what I do.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that when the end of the day comes, I am disappointed that the time goes by so quickly during the day.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue with intense focus on maintaining the culture. Continue listening to the employees and make adjustments as needed.

"Flipp"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Strong work hard/play hard ethic
    + Fantastic, friendly group of people who care about the little things
    + Very efficient hiring process
    + Challenging work!

Cons

- None that I've found so far :)

"Good perks isn't going to save you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks including free food, snacks and metropass. Nice office space.

Cons

Do you really want to work for a company just for great perks? Or a company with real vision with healthy management and smart people with right attitude?

If you really look into Flipp before your interview, you will find that they will try to sell you the job with their perks. You should really reconsider and ask yourself if that is going to save you in a long term. You should go find a company that has clear vision.

Current Flipp no longer has vision for next step and they are pushing everyone so hard due to lack of clear leadership on where to go for next growth.

Whole company's direction is decided by single man's ideas and gut feeling which has caused all the failures in the recent past projects and sales people are struggling to sell.

I feel sorry for people who gets so excited about working for Flipp and telling people how they are so happy working there and only good things they can talk about is their perks.

"The Uber of Toronto without the succsful product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not an easy requirement coming up with 20 word minimum of pros to Flipp. The snacks are awesome and you can work from once a week if you feel like it. The benefits is equivalent to government offices.

Cons

Such a toxic environment that many of the employees joke about how it resembles the infamous Uber culture. The only difference is that you don't get the extremely high pay or get to work on great product like Uber. Instead, you're stuck in Etobicoke fixing flyer bugs or uploading coupons to the website.
    As a team lead, I interview many people, some of them really good and lie to them about the great culture and how much I love the place. I feel guilty knowing they'll be leaving decent work places to come to Flipp only to most likely be fired a few months after. Either new hires will make a minor mistake, or disagree with a project manager/employee who hasve been there for a while or just that a project won't go well and someone will need to be blamed and fired. I've sat into too many meetings where managers casually deciding on terminating individuals to be silent. They don't view employees as people with kids, mortgages and careers, but more like disposable plastic plates. Use once, get what you need, and throw away.

Advice to Management

Look around you and see what you turned this company into. Don't hire people just to fire them.

"Live by Work Hard/Play Hard"

Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team at Flipp is unmatched - I left Flipp with life long friends. Everyone is always willing to help and support one another through any challenges that are faced. Each individual is valued and has their own coach to help mentor and support with growth opportunities. Employee satisfaction is very important to Flipp. Visibility should be important to employees at any company, Flipp makes the companies successes, goals and failures known to everyone at all times. I would highly recommend Flipp to anyone hungry for a challenging, fun and rewarding opportunity.

Cons

Be prepared for a busy holiday season! It's important at Flipp to continuously manage your capacity, as you may end up taking on too much and not realize it until you're drowning in work.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide visibility and clarity as the team scales

"Negative Experience"

Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - BD Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I work with are really great. I see myself hanging out with them after I leave for another job. Snacks and free lunches on Friday and a nice spacious office.
    it's a pretty good place to work right after school to prove yourself before moving to another place. You'll work on different projects and get exposure you might not get at a big company.

Cons

The expectations at Flipp are crazy! The product Flipp develops might be above average, but the cost of it is too much. So many in my team have burnt out after a few months. Having a life outside of work is almost impossible, and you're expected to be available on weekends and nights. Sales targets set are not realistic to achieve and I doubt any one in my team is going to meet their quota. However, we are constantly being yelled at for not making those numbers. I tried discussing it with senior managers, but no one cared. I'm all for working hard, but working over 13 hours a day 7 days a week is more than I bargained for.
    Mistakes are not tolerated at Flipp, and I triple check everything I do in fear of being publicly criticized for it in front of my colleagues by senior management. They also really micromanage you all the time, with several meetings a day to check your progress. I honestly hate gong there every day and can't wait to leave!

Advice to Management

Work on the company culture, it's too clique-ish with a very clear separation between co founders and the rest. Understand that employees need some free time after work to build their relationships and spend time with their families and kids.

"Not what you think - stressful and unprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company looks really awesome when you first walk into the office. You have fun stuff like ping pong, Foosball, Playstations, TVs and plenty of board games for staff to play during non-work hours.
    - Benefits package is good and work from home is acceptable without any issues.
    - Pay in on par with other tech companies.
    - Some people are really great and you can make friends pretty easily.

Cons

- Work environment is very stressful, not so much the tasks you're given to do or even the long work hours you have to put in. Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing. As a result, many employees get scared and blame others before they get blamed. In the end, each failure leads to several people getting fired, regardless of whether they actually had something to do with the failed project.
    - While some teams are okay to be on such as OPS, as a developer, I find there are lots of better options in Toronto with equivalent pay or higher. The long hours, constant fear and stress aren't worth it, not even for free lunches.
    - Too many meetings where you have to update different stakeholders on your progress. Most of the managers are not from a technical background and don't know what you're talking about. Learning opportunities are limited being far from downtown and not being able to attend meetups because you're working till very late.
    - You have to be very careful with what you say to other employees out of fear for your job. You're expect to fake happiness at all times and never criticize the culture or the management team.

Advice to Management

Try to look into the real issues of Flipp and why so many leave after several months. Instead of giving people gift cards to write positive reviews, work on creating a work environment where those reviews actually reflect reality.

"Never Thought I Would Love My Job So Much"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office space and people are phenomenal and really make for a family feel. One thing I love is that there's a lot of room for growth and as the company is constantly changing, you are always learning. The work is fun and challenging and the people really make it.

Cons

Can get crazy during the holidays but having such a supportive team makes it way better and fun.

Advice to Management

Thank you for creating such an awesome place to work

"Solving Tough Problems with Amazing People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the company is growing quickly, there is rapid growth and learning opportunities. Every day there is a new challenge and problem to solve which is awesome. The team also really makes it. You get to work with some of the smartest and most kind people and that really adds a lot.

The office space, benefits and perks are also great.

Cons

Teams get re-organized regularly which can create some growing pains, but it also leads to tons of new learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage coaching

"Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

The perks here are incredible, from free snacks in the office, free laptop and phone which allows me to work remotely at anytime. The culture is infectious, there is a genuine care for my wellbeing and personal and professional development here. I feel genuinely inspired to come to work each day and the people are constantly pushing me to grow. Excited for the future growth of the company and being a part of it!

Cons

Definitely need to have the reinvention mindset and be interesting in growing both personally and professionally to be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting internally and fostering opportunities to grow.