Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.9
Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible work hours and option to work from home (in 9 reviews)

• Quarterly company events and monthly team bonding events (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough vegan snacks in the kitchen, work/life balance can take a hit at times since we are always pioneering and shifting resources quickly (in 10 reviews)

• You will regularly be criticized and shamed in large meetings for not working long hours or for any minor mistake you've made (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happiest I've ever been in my career"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture - The culture at Flipp is exactly what I want and need from a company. The heavy stress on being open, honest and putting the team first are the values that I personally hold to be very important. The culture and openness of the leadership team makes this the best place I have worked in my career.

- People - The people at Flipp are the best I've worked with in my career. The leadership and talent team does an incredible job finding some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is of such a high caliber, and I have a lot of respect for everyone. I love the people that I work with, and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

- Challenging work - The problems that we're trying to solve are challenging and it is rewarding to try out solutions and make improvements as we learn.

- Growth and coaching - The emphasis on everyone continually growing, and expecting everyone to coach each other in one way or another is a big plus for me as well.

I can honestly say it is the happiest I've ever been in my career. I can genuinely say that I love my job and I love what I do.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that when the end of the day comes, I am disappointed that the time goes by so quickly during the day.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, continue with intense focus on maintaining the culture. Continue listening to the employees and make adjustments as needed.

"Fantastic work culture and work community!"

Current Employee - Project Lead
    Current Employee - Project Lead

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intentional coaching, plenty of internal opportunities to grow, amazing community and work culture, great work perks and benefits, FREE TTC metropass to save on that commute in.

Cons

You can often find yourself taking work home, high turnover in the Sales department.

"Good Place for a Data Analytics Job"

Current Employee - Analyst, Insights & Analytics in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Analyst, Insights & Analytics in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company as a whole:
    - Great culture
    - Very horizontal structure: the founders know you by name despite the company being 400 people
    - Smart, hardworking, nice, straight-forward people
    - Good pay (including benefits, health insurance, metro pass)
    - Perks (free snacks, lunches, bi-annual trips, etc)

Specific to Analytics/Insights:
    - Interesting analytics projects
    - Big emphasis on automating "ordinary" tasks: more time to do cool projects
    - If you have a good idea, people actually encourage you to try it
    - Training on analytics topics (i.e. stats, machine learning, big data platforms)
    - You can use what tools you like (E.g. Python, R, SQL)
    - You will be working with big data platforms, and will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge tools/languages (e.g. Pyspark, Scala)
    - Collaboration and sharing across the wider "data team"

Cons

- Less hierarchy means less structure: this isn't necessarily a con, but if you're coming from a more structured environment, this will take getting used to (and will annoy you at first)
    - More meetings than necessary
    - Can be stressful at times
    - Flipp employees are generally young and full of life, which can make it a bit noisy

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Ranks in the top 5 tech companies in Toronto"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people. Flipp has some of the nicest people I've ever encountered at a workplace. Everyone is extremely friendly, willing to help, and coworkers often hang out outside of work.
    - Transparent and open culture. Information is freely available and everyone is encouraged to give their opinions.
    - As a developer, the compensation is definitely above industry standard in Canada
    - Great opportunity to work on products that actually affect millions of people every day
    - Work from home whenever you want, no questions asked.
    - Company's prospects look good for the foreseeable future.
    - Free lunch on Fridays. Great health plan. Office toys and other misc perks.

Cons

- Flipp moves fast ... sometimes a little too fast. Sudden and drastic shifts in strategy are not uncommon, so don't be surprised if something that is mission-critical suddenly becomes less important the next day
    - Depending on your specific department, things can get hectic at times, especially around Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Slow down from time-to-time and get buy-in/feedback on strategy from senior team members before cascading information to the entire organization.

"On the Right Track"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging/Interesting work
    - Tons of potential for career growth
    - Great colleagues
    - Competitive pay
    - Great benefits
    - Amazing office space
    - Work life balance

Cons

- Engineering culture not as strong as I would like (but its getting better)
    - Growing pains from rapid company expansion
    - Desire to move fast and innovate can result in confusing messaging and false starts

"Proud to be a part of this inspiring team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-In my role, I am fortunate enough to work closely with the executive team at Flipp. They created a company that has a team-first approach where culture is at the centre of everything. As the company has now grown to over 350 people, this still holds true and is one of the key reasons why I love working here

-The freedom and responsibility I am given including a flexible work approach is more important to me than the traditional perks at other companies I have worked for

-There is a focus on communication so that team members have clarity on priorities which means everyone is on the same page

-The leaders at our company are invested in my growth path and take the time for coaching

-The passion from the team to continually innovate is inspiring to always to do my best

-Our teams take a test and learn approach which means we can execute quickly and always be ahead of the curve

Cons

-The fast-paced and dynamic nature of the industry can be challenging for those who want a 9-5 job

-High growth and innovation comes with unchartered territory. We often have to pave our own path which an be uncomfortable for some

Advice to Management

As the company grows, many team members don’t have a chance to get to know the founders. Set up an initiative, such as coffee chats, so that there is an environment for relationship building and two-way feedback.

"Great culture, Awesome ppl, Challenging work"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Flipp (More than a year)

Pros

Heavy emphasis on Team culture while allowing personal direction on career growth. The work is exciting and rewarding. Don't come here if you're hoping to cruise. There is a high level of excellence by which everyone is held accountable. Flexible work hours and option to work from home.

Cons

Work schedule can get a bit out of hand with the rapid growth of the company. Frequent traveling (for client facing teams) also adds to stress load. Pay is competitive, but could be better for the talent caliber Flipp attracts.

Advice to Management

Maintain culture as you grow. Don't become corporate. Reward your employees and they will continue to do great work you.

"Best Culture, Best Team, Never Leaving"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment, great team members, feels like working with family in a clubhouse rather than regular work, very innovative and always looking for new ideas, feedback is regularly given, great compensation and incentives

Cons

Advice to Management

You rock, don't ever change! Keep innovating, communicating with your employees and making everyone feel like they matter and their job is important.

"Weird place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office
    Snacks
    Friday lunch
    Great work events
    Location is alright

Cons

Joined this company a few months ago and it has been a weird place to work for me. I'm not even sure if people truly like working at Flipp. Just in three months of working here - many people have left.

I feel like I am constantly monitored and micro-managed. Very little guidance, but are excepted to know everything right away. They have very little patience to train their staff.

You make once mistake and you are asked to stand up in front of the whole company and break down what went wrong. Pretty much putting people in shame. I double check my work and feels like I'm working in fear. It is like a survival game.

I still don't get how they are top 50 best places to work. I have heard some of the reviews on glassdoor were asked to be written by upper management.

I can truly say this is by far the weirdest company I have worked for. I would not recommend joining this place, regardless how good the pay is. You will be working day and night and will be comprising your heath and life.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Treat us like you treat your customers. Management team has a lot to learn and improve on. I think it is because many of you are the core team with little managerial experience. I'm hoping to get out of here soon. I wish I was as thrilled as when I joined. Good luck!

"Amazing culture of transparency, openness, and growth"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like a lot of tech companies the benefits and perks are really good so I won't go into these.

What I like the most about the company, aside from the amazing product that we are producing, is the culture that exists at Flipp.

1. Transparency and culture of trust. First of all, we don't have a vacation policy. Our policy is that you have to take a minimum of 3 weeks a year. Anything over you can take as much as you want if you need it and so long as you aren't hurting your team. If you say "oh, I haven't taken my 3 weeks this year because I'm too busy and I can't get away from the team" then someone will ask you "why?? If that's your excuse then that means you haven't done the right thing to level up your team to operate without you while you are on vacation."

We will sometimes receive emails from a team member that goes out to the entire company that says something along the line of "So and so retailer is upset with us because we messed up". The email is basically this person owning up to a mistake that they've made but this isn't about public shaming. It's about this employee having high trust and saying "this is how I messed up, this is what I learned from my mistake and this is how we ALL can learn from this mistake". It's about clarity, context and learning

2. Passion. Everyone at Flipp is passionate about their work and they believe in what they are building. When people get heated, when voices are raised it is due to passion and energy. I've never been in a meeting where people are attacked on a personal level. The language may get colourful but it's never directed at anyone...it's because the person is frustrated/passionate and the language punctuates their ideas.

I'll admit that I've been intensely coached by the CEO. Yes, it is INTENSE but I was never personally attacked and at the end of the coaching session the CEO always makes sure HE has a plan of attack to help me and make sure I get better

Cons

We are constantly constrained by the number of people we can bring on board because we have such high hiring standards

Advice to Management

Be sure to take the time to be introspective and think about how you are growing the company to ensure that you grow and strengthen the company