Flipp "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Flipp Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 23, 2019

3.3
Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan
Pros
  • "Very flexible in terms of Work From Home policies(in 19 reviews)

• "Amazing Culture (lots of company events and everyone wants to be team first)(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work/life balance - the culture is filled with hypocrisy(in 15 reviews)

• "Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Great start"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

Lots of perks, flexible hours and ability to work from home

Cons

None that really affected my 4 month internship

Flipp2019-02-04

"A lot of changing, shifting... wild ride"

Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people work here. They are awesome and direct team members are supportive, easy to communicate with, always hands on deck team-attitude (this is true of 90% of teams at Flipp). Great benefits, decent payroll standards, used to have VERY fun summer and winter trips to Muskoka/Blue Mountain etc... awesome events planned out throughout the years. Very flexible in terms of Work From Home policies.

Cons

Where do I even start... A lot of things have been shifting for a while now. There is no priority set on certain teams right now, and lots of false hope is instilled in us in terms of vision and future opportunities of growth for most. Be cautious of this company - management pivots and changes their mind way too often, there is lots of miscommunication amongst management and different departments. There was a recent mass lay-off in the company, and people are waking up to just how much has changed in such a little amount of time. For people that have been here for a long time, it is a bit disappointing, but priorities are changing and you have to keep up or else this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your company (this is happening more now); You're not going to please everyone. Stand true in your vision and objectives, and the people who want to be along for the ride will stand by you. The rest will find something more suitable for them in their career path.

Flipp2019-11-22

"Good while it lasts"

Current Freelancer - Software Engineer in Etobicoke, ON

I have been working at Flipp for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks, drinks, office location, free parking or ttc reimbursement .work from home.

Cons

No vision, all of u sudden after spending so much, they realize thy have no money to keep people onboard .. let go of most senior designations to recent hires!! Well why hire if you had to fire? Playing with lives and careers of people ?? No clear vision no clear strategy no clear business projection. This company ison its way to closure.

Advice to Management

Sell it off

Flipp2019-11-23

"Satisfied but not Engaged"

Current Employee - Project Lead

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, bonus structure, work from home, 6 weeks paid vacation.

Cons

We shift focus A LOT. Everyone seems to be running on empty. No wonder we are not as engaged as we could be.

Flipp2019-07-29

"Great culture around the Flipp office."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well established culture, great benefits (snacks, drinks, work from home once a week)

Cons

Operations seems to be a silo at the organization, since there are many people in the same role there is a lot of competition for growth. Certain roles don’t give much opportunity to work cross functionally

Advice to Management

Provide more exposure of the overall team across the organization.

Flipp2019-02-06

"Operations Coordinator"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great health benefits and perks, Work From Home, Free Gym membership and TTC Pass an overall fun work experience

Cons

Highly competitive, not a lot of room for growth

Flipp2018-11-10

"This seemed like such a great opportunity, but I left after a few months."

Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible Hours and work from home - Compensation is generally high, good perks (ttc pass, gym pass)

Cons

- My main issue was the 'always on' mentality. I was told directly by my manager that I wasn't checking my phone enough in the evenings. - Not a lot of second chances or job stability. They are quick to fire people or place you on probation. It depends on your role, but I needed to work weekend, holidays. At first I was OK with this since I felt I was well compensated, but the stressful and un-supportive work environment were what drove me out. It feels like this used to be a good company, but I got here too late. The opportunities to move up quickly are no longer there. Whether or not it's even true, most people see this is a sinking ship and the 'great people' seem to be leaving. Your experience at this company varies a lot based on what team you're on and who your manager is. I would not recommend the Media Science department.

Advice to Management

It seems like the intentions are genuinely good. The only thing I can say is that when you're talking to the whole company at big scrum about how we need to pull together, and reminiscing about the glory days of when the company was only 20 people and you stayed up all night tagging Walmart products - I mostly just felt like, 'gee that company sounds great', except Flipp isn't a scrappy startup anymore - whether you like it or not. I'll say my issues were mostly with the 'always on' aspect and the lack of support from my direct manager. I felt like I was at least treated with respect in other areas and have no issue with Flipp as a company. There are lots of good benefits and policies.

Flipp2018-08-31

"Still very much a startup company"

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

The people are amazing. The building and work area is nice. The work from home options and benefits are top notch.

Cons

Feels very much like a dictatorship. Whatever the CEO wants, will happen and we have to change everything based on his ideas that are not fully tested to be successful.

Advice to Management

Do more market research before launching a whole product to see if it is successful. This would save dev time and money.

Flipp2018-03-21

"One of the best places I've worked"

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Flipp for more than a year

Pros

Amazing people, great benefits (health, transit, food and perks, maternity/ paternity leave), people that believe in what the do, great company culture, like going to work with your friends all the time, good salary, good vacation and work from home policies

Cons

Sometimes long hours and expectation that you're willing to work sometimes past standard office hours

Advice to Management

If you're going to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk - more so than everyone else. People here look up to you, and clear communication is necessary. Listen to the teams when they say "hey, maybe we shouldn't be doing this"

Flipp2017-12-19

"Ranks in the top 5 tech companies in Toronto"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Flipp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great people. Flipp has some of the nicest people I've ever encountered at a workplace. Everyone is extremely friendly, willing to help, and coworkers often hang out outside of work. - Transparent and open culture. Information is freely available and everyone is encouraged to give their opinions. - As a developer, the compensation is definitely above industry standard in Canada - Great opportunity to work on products that actually affect millions of people every day - Work from home whenever you want, no questions asked. - Company's prospects look good for the foreseeable future. - Free lunch on Fridays. Great health plan. Office toys and other misc perks.

Cons

- Flipp moves fast ... sometimes a little too fast. Sudden and drastic shifts in strategy are not uncommon, so don't be surprised if something that is mission-critical suddenly becomes less important the next day - Depending on your specific department, things can get hectic at times, especially around Black Friday.

Advice to Management

Slow down from time-to-time and get buy-in/feedback on strategy from senior team members before cascading information to the entire organization.

Flipp2017-08-05