Tucows Reviews

Found 163 of over 169 reviews

3.8
Tucows President, CEO, and Director Elliot Noss
Elliot Noss
Pros
  • "flexible hours and work from home days - pretty self-explanatory(in 25 reviews)

• "Good work life balance, nice ppl(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Support can run like a typical call centre(in 7 reviews)

• "The day to day work flow was very repetitive, no room for growth, felt like ground hog day(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Tech

35.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Tucows~6018
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Read This Review and Then Apply!

Aug 9, 2021 - Senior Manager, Field Operations in Centennial, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for several ISPs in my career, and, while they certainly have their own pros, the industry as a whole can often be plagued by very top-down/traditional practices and processes that both prohibit and inhibit new ideas and needed transformation. That is certainly not the case at Tucows/Ting! There's a level of enthusiasm about what we're doing and where we're going that other leaders in the industry would almost kill to have. That starts at the top, goes all the way to the bottom, and then back up. That leaves me, a senior leader with many years in front of me, feeling incredibly excited about the company, our customers, and my own future here.

Cons

It's hard to mention cons when almost anything I could mention is largely tied to being in a place of growth. It's hard to be terribly upset when most of the problems I deal with are tied to needing to hire additional employees, etc. I'd much rather be trying to figure out how to hire people faster than deal with most other issues.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Career Oriented

Jul 5, 2021 - Operations Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Inclusive - Open door policy - Work from home - Benefits - Challenging work but rewarding

Cons

- No clear path towards internal development options throughout the company. You're left figuring it out on your own.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Working life at Ting

Oct 12, 2021 - Ting Mobile Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Benefits - Office culture pre-covid was great

Cons

- Often feel like concerns about work issues go unanswered

Tucows Response

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry if we have not addressed your concerns or we didn't meet your expectations. We strive to make sure everyone has a voice and is heard at Tucows. We want to know how we make things better. Please reach out to one of our people team members or send us an email at talktous@tucows.com! We'll make sure to get back to you asap.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good team, Good environment, but less reference and self study is required

Oct 2, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

They offer good company benefit

Cons

They have less references, less interactive. There are some T2 members, but basically, you need to do self-study before submitting the problem, otherwise, they will simply return with this answer. " Have you do this? or do that?"

Tucows Response

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. At Tucows, we strive to treat everyone with dignity and respect from when they begin their journey with us. Sometimes, it’s hard to predict the roles and skills needed to manage the demand effectively in a fast-growing tech company. What worked six years ago may not work today. Likewise, the relationship between employee and organization can also change over the years along with the business direction. We apologize that you felt you didn’t receive a reason for leaving our organization – there are many reasons we may choose to go this route, none of which are easy for us. We recognize that reasons may not be apparent to all employees. However, we never make a decision like this in haste and never without significant consideration of other alternatives. Though we understand that this may ring hollow for you, we hope it provides some insight. We wish you well in all of your future endeavors.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

At this place, be ready to fly by the seat of your pants.

Sep 7, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Second largest in Domain Name business. Some have worked all their life in the company and speak highly of it. Hiring is very slow; expect several months buffer time.

Cons

Heavy virtual-meeting culture. Mobile Division projects lack planning. Everyday job is putting out fires. Priorities change by the minute, because management caters last minute requests from the client all the time. Insane hours (sometimes including weekends). If you are new in the team nobody will have time to train you because everyone is "running like chickens with no head".

Tucows Response

Hi there! Thank you so much for your feedback. We acknowledge that these are busy times for us as we look to redefine our mobile business and build a new industry standard from scratch. We appreciate the incredible hard work the mobile teams are putting into defining the future of mobile in the US. We know that some times have been brutal, and all your comments are extremely valid. We have work to do, and although the following points are a good start - we know there is much more to do We’re taking steps to: - Improve our talent acquisition strategy to help find more talent to move our projects forward. - Training managers on running better and more efficient meetings. - Looking for new ways to provide employees the resources they need to get training and upskilling to develop their skills. In addition, our CEO, Elliot Noss, is partnering with our mobile services customer to ensure that priority one is the health and wellness of our employees. There is so much more we can do, and feedback like yours helps us define how we can better support members of the herd. Elliot welcomes anyone to bring ideas forward as to how we can improve with this new business endeavor. So if you have the time, please reach out at talktous@tucows.com. We’d love to hear from you.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Advisor salary inconsistent

Aug 7, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home opportunity 3 week vacation from start Decent benefits

Cons

I left Tucows a few months ago and one of the main problems was with the salary. Hr is not organized or does not update advisor pay fairly. I found out that I was making $1 more than a female colleague who started at the same time as me with the same experience|education. I found out that another person (male) that started as the same as us was also making a dollar more which seemed unfair to our colleague. I do not believe this is a gender wage issue but a lack of organization issue. After this I discovered that advisors hired after me were making a lot more, up to $5 extra per hour. They were not better qualified and did not have extra tasks compared to the work I was doing. This is unfair and I was not able to come forward about this. Company policy states that we cannot discuss wages but it is a right under Ontario law. Writing this in hopes that it brings up the discussion and review of hourly wage. This topic should not be taboo but transparent

3 people found this review helpful

Tucows Response

Hi there! Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. In terms of compensation for Advisor roles, we want to clarify a few things: - We value the fantastic work our CS team does. That’s why we focus on ensuring our compensation is well above the market for CS roles, based on the current industry. - We empower CS leadership to determine the best compensation to match the skills and experience of their team members. The People Team does a thorough analysis of fair salary, but we trust our CS managers to decide what works best for their teams. - Experience from one individual to the next is not apples to apples, and therefore, there are nuances in pay that may not be known or seen to others. In line with this, we have monthly comp reviews to ensure that we are paying fairly. - We have salary ranges for our roles to ensure fairness. - If we did get the salary wrong - we will fix. We make adjustments when warranted, and we foster an environment where employees feel comfortable expressing concern about their salary to their managers and the People Team. - We ask that salaries are not discussed among employees only because it can lead to confusion when individuals don’t have the whole picture/reason as to why a salary was determined. Everyone is different, and so there are nuances in compensation. Your experience matters to us, and we want to learn from where we maybe fell short. Please reach out to us at TalkToUs@Tucows.com. Understanding your experience and feedback better can help us further improve our processes. Thank you.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to start

May 11, 2021 - Domains Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, benefits, culture, growth.

Cons

Depends on the manager you have.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

none

May 24, 2021 - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in St. Catharines, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

had great potential to start

Cons

unclear where company is going now

Tucows Response

Thank you for your feedback. We'd love to hear more about your experience and see where else we can improve. If you're open to sharing some ideas, please reach out to us at TalkToUs@Tucows.com. Thank you.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fast growing company

Apr 30, 2021 - Project Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is really great, everyone is humble, empathetic, and helpful.

Cons

Some businesses are experience rapid growth, so the amount of work can be overwhelming at times. A good challenge.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

A company worth exploring

Apr 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A stable global company embracing agility and creativity and adapts quickly to change

Cons

Rapid expansion and constantly learning new markets

Viewing 1 - 10 of 163 Reviews