IBM Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

11,368 Ratings

30,411 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

1. "Summit Program Graduate-Canada"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent program for new hires or even professional hires. This program concentrates on sales skills which are very essential for client engagements. I learnt a lot in this 6 months program even though I have about 5 years pro experience.

Cons

IBM is a huge company with myriad products and solutions and services. I would advice summits to have a open mind when they join and explore various solution brands and see where your innate interest lies. Then catch that early on and become an expert in that even before program ends. This will enable you to hit the ground running!

Advice to Management

Excellent Investment in your employees. Thanks.

2. "IBM Sales Summit"

Current Employee - Tech Sales in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Tech Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comprehensive training on all different aspects of becoming an advisor to the client in sales
    Great sales procedure and methods and frameworks
    Access to a lot of training material and expertise
    Willingness from other IBMers to help us learn and grow in the company

Cons

Sales organization is incentivized commission-based so it would make it very competitive in some cases.
    It might sometime get hard to find the resources you are looking for, but if you keep looking and asking help, you can do what you and your client need
    on the summit program we have not been aligned with specific brands internally, so as tech sellers we had to put a lot of effort in learning technical solutions after the six months, this could be managed better for the tech sales summit.

Advice to Management

Manager of all the summit was the same person who came from sales background, I think the tech sales summit is better to have a tech sales manager similar to brands, one sales manager for all the seller and tech sellers, but the tech sellers are actually with a tech sales manager

3. "Always changing and great place to learn and advance your sales career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, people, opportunity for advancement or lateral position moves to gain more experience.

Cons

Politics, extremely large, constant changes of focus, frequent territory changes.

Advice to Management

Listen and have more trust in employees to get the job done efficiently.

5. "IBM software enginner job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good company Decent salary

Cons

Low bonus but it may rise

Advice to Management

Just offer high salary to new graduate

"Proposal Writer"

Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Proposal Writer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are some of the smartest people in any industry, and are generally terrific to work with.
    Flexible working options in many roles, ability to work from home part time or from remote locations. Internal IT is excellent (devices for employees) .
    Ample opportunity to learn, grow your skills, mentoring from senior executives, and the ability and support to extend formal education (complete Master's degree,PhD, etc.
    Ample opportunity to explore new career opportunities in a global marketplace.
    Ongoing training and education on product lines for all employees, focused programs on employee engagement lead by senior leadership team.
    A very active, dynamic, ever changing business environment where bold ideas and new ways of working are encouraged and supported.
    Travel is common and my experience has been very good. Top airlines, great hotels (required amenities, clean, and secure accommodations.

Cons

Demanding hours, travel requirements, and constant change. The business requires all employees to constantly upgrade their skills, which is a pro, but can be a con when trying to meet mandatory education deadlines while performing daily duties. Competition for roles internally is fierce, but again that can be a pro (opportunity to stay current on resume and interviewing skills) depending on your point of view.

Advice to Management

Continue to treasure wild ducks. In order to keep pace with changes in the business world and ever changing technology, it's crucial to retain experienced employees who have been successful in the business and can mentor, coach, and support new employees.

7. "BA position"

Pros

management is pretty organized

Cons

Big company and sometimes work isn't acknowledge

Advice to Management

Project managers could be more flexible

8. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Markham, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly educated coworkers, great learning experience.

Cons

Hikes are not good compared to other companies in the industry.

9. "Associate"

Pros

Great growth opportunities within the company

Cons

Low salary packages are offered hhere

Advice to Management

Not Applicabale

10. "Best experience"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good working culture, lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

Require People manager to have some broad knowledge

11. "Love IBM"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Bromont, QC
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Bromont, QC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great company that cares about its employees. I really enjoyed working at IBM Bromont. Flexible schedulles

Cons

I worked by contract. Permanent employees have alot more benefits and better salary. (I can understand that) Boring during low seasons, but that allows me time to study while working. I worked in the week- end shift full time and that allows me to go to school full time at the same time! However, once I was about to graduate they did not accept me for another contract because they though I'll leave my job once I get my diploma. Actually, I wanted to make a career at IBM and growth in the company. I felt betrayed by the company in which I gave my best and I was hoping to grow professionally. I still love IBM.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for temporary workers and students to be part of the company. Less burocracie! I went to a university and got higher education while working for you, it dosen't mean that I wanted to quit once I got my diploma. I wanted to make a career Chez IBM! Merci quand même! J'ai bien aimé travailler pour vouz.

Showing 30,411 of 32,447 reviews