Allstate Reviews

3.5
Allstate Chairman and Chief Executive Officer  Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II
2,113 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great home office to work at for a company that really wants to push for work/life balance(in 561 reviews)

• "Ample vacation time and good benefits(in 232 reviews)

Cons
  • "large workload which is cause poor work/life balance, everything is customer service based but sometimes policies seem to be counter productive to this(in 144 reviews)

• "No benefits and no paid vacation except main federal holidays(in 106 reviews)

1. "good company to work for"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good company to work for

Cons

none that i can think of

2. "Good starter"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Good money, good for beginners straight out of school

Cons

No commercial insurance available, high objectives

Continue reading

3. "Bonus structure confusing, too many external variables"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate (BDA)

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are great Some ability to move in the corporate direction Some flexibility with hours

Cons

No work life balance Underwriting guidelines are too strict and underwriters unwilling to work with you Stressful environment Bad technology Burnout is high

4. "Good place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Haha,it is good place to work

Cons

Haha,no bad comment to Allstate

"good place to start your career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Markham, ON

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

good benefits, pay for starting, you can learn a lot in a short period of time

Cons

long hours, staff are overworked, cannot keep up with workload unless you stay late.

6. "never again"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Markham, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

company provides some great employee benefits

Cons

company is disorganized and runs their employees into the ground

"Money"

Former Employee - Business Development in Burlington, ON

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Good training and entry into insurance sales

Cons

Office managers did not do much. A lot of risks were being declined based on postal code.

"Complacency abounds, a few diamonds in the rough. Get in. Get experience and education. Get out."

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Markham, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A handful of peers and upper management were competent and intelligent people. Few were inspiring and wanted to make a real difference and fix problems. Most frontline employees were burnt out and jaded, and I can't blame them for that. Benefits are okay. Pay is less than competitive. They do pay for insurance and risk management education, but so does everyone in the industry. They give you alot of unquestioned sick days (I believe I had 40 per year when I quit), but after a year working there, you quickly realize why.

Cons

Excessive workload. Work until 9pm everyday and still put in time on weekends excessive. This was mostly driven by the horrible que system in which you were doubling as an inbound call agent (think 100+ calls a day) as well as an auto claims adjuster. If they've changed it, that would be a huge plus, but I doubt it's been done. You're an insurance adjuster handing simple to high complexity claims, but your primary KPI is "inbound calls taken" give me a break. Your insureds abuse you over the phone for not handling their claims fast enough, and then your managers pushed you to do the same when you hung up. However, there wasn't much time between calls for any meaningful managerial interaction or coaching. The old technology they use compounded the workload problem. They claims system would crash pretty regularly for half a day. When this happened you had to stay on the cue and take calls, because they didn't want customers to know there was a service interruption. You had to write down the date, time, and substance of each call, then enter then into the claim when the system came back online. As far as I know, they still use the same 20 year old claim handling system. There's no rewarding initiative, there's no rewarding people who go above and beyond or who accomplish things, there's no rewarding problem solvers. They know what the problems are, they don't care. It's far too much work to fix them. Unless you are friends or family with management, your efforts will be wasted. The culture is immature. I understand there was a "hot list" that went around the office. I understand managers were at least aware of, if not contributing to it, though I never saw it. Very high school like behaviour. Very cutthroat. Encouraged to rat out others mistakes or laziness, it was exhausting due to the overwhelimg laziness and burnout in peers. Constantly found myself fixing others mistakes for them, and having to stay late to get to my own work. My own manager was quite good, but he was often overworked. For that reason I had to walk the floor frequently when I had questions to find another manager. Invariably the first question out of their mouth was "why don't you ask your manager". It was clear they didn't want to do any more than absolutely necessary. Obviously this is all resultant of trickle down culture and an wilfully ignorant or naively incompetent and oblivious leadership team. Leadership touts their "open door" policy, but when you interact with them on an individual basis, you are very aware of how you're wasting their time. Working there felt like trying to build a house with a hammer made of playdough and nails made of icicles. Google search "Allstate lawsuits". There's a good reason their employees keep suing them.

Continue reading
  9. "Very Good Company to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Markham, ON

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Compensation & Work Life Balance are excellent

Cons

Employee Career Growth can improve

"Great"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Allstate full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary compared to others

Cons

No bonus Compared to others

Found 5171 reviews