WorkWave Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
WorkWave President & CEO Chris Sullens
Chris Sullens

Pros
  • They have added a week of PTO time to ensure employees have work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• The free lunch is a great perk and the benefits package is one of the best I've ever seen (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing so fast right now there are some growing pains with staff trying to keep up with the increase for their demand (in 11 reviews)

• Company is growing and evolving very rapidly, which can create its own challenges (in 6 reviews)

1. "Love working at WorkWave!!"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment I started, WorkWave felt like home! The company culture is amazing, benefits are great, and there really is such a thing as work/life balance at WorkWave! The company goes above and beyond to ensure employees are happy.

Cons

No complaints about WorkWave!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7 Jun, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Awesome! Thanks for posting!

2. "A Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time

Pros

WorkWave was named one of the best places to work in NJ, and with good reason. They truly invest in their employees, and give plenty of opportunities for you to grow within the company. Management not your thing? No problem, you can be an individual contributor and still successful here. Work/Life balance is great, generous PTO, 401k match, health insurance & health insurance reimbursement program, as well as free lunch. We literally have a basketball hoop, ping/pong, chess, and video game rooms at our new office. A few times a year we are surprised by fun employee events, such as food trucks for lunch, ice cream sundae bars, happy hours, fitbit challenges, etc. I can't say enough great things about this company, they truly go above and beyond to ensure their employees are raving fans!

Cons

No real cons! This place is great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

7 Jun, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Excellent to hear! These perks are all our way of saying thank you for all the hard work that you, and all our employees, do every day. Thanks for sharing your experience!

3. "WorkWave- The place to be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with WorkWave for a year now and the experience of being employed here has been a great one. Now that we have moved to the new office it has moved in an even more positive direction.

Pros: Free lunch, growing company with plenty of room to advance, great office culture, good work/life balance including most major holidays off and a real focus on employee appreciation, good benefits. Most of all you aren't just a number. You can make a difference no matter what you do and you are encouraged to help make an impact, no matter your title. None of this will go unrecognized.

When I describe a given week at the office to friends and family they are jealous that their employers do not run their business the same way and they wish they could come work for us!

Cons

My success and experience here in a short time leave me with no real cons to mention.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to be a involved with teams and what they do as opposed to just the leader of the pack

7 Jun, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! It's wonderful to have so many that care deeply about creating great products and making sure our clients are raving fans. Thanks for all ... More

5. "Working at WorkWave!"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, free lunch, and positive work environment. New building is much more spacious and the free gym is a really great perk.

Cons

None at this time, really enjoy working for this company

Advice to Management

Communicate in advance with employees of all levels about new releases and company information

8 Jun, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks! So glad to hear that you're enjoying the new office and the perks that BellWorks has to offer. Yes, proactive communication is really important to us. We encourage our employees to ... More

6. "The Perfect Fit"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time

Pros

I have just recently started a full-time position here at WorkWave and am loving every minute of it. From the moment I stepped into the office, I knew this was the perfect fit for me. WorkWave is a great work environment. Everyone here is so friendly and welcoming. We’re all team players and extremely enthusiastic about the company and the work we do. My favorite thing about WorkWave is that it encourages growth for the employees within the company!

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons about this company!

10 May, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks for sharing your experience! We're excited to have you join us and look forward to your continued growth and success here at WorkWave.

7. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time

Pros

Workwave provides great collaborative environment

Cons

Middle management needs some improvements

Advice to Management

The company grow too fast without the right foundation, need a bit more processes around few areas

6 Apr, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

We're glad to hear that you appreciate the collaborative work environment within our engineering teams. That's awesome! As a growing company, having processes that scale and strong leaders are of ... More

"One Foot in the Future, With "Growing Pains" of the Past"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)

I worked at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WorkWave is a company that believes itself to be one marching toward the future and innovating on the way, like a lean, modern start up company with great funding. In many ways, it is an ideal place to work, because it has the financial backing of flagship software, has had the ability to make aggressive business decisions with rapid acquisitions and deals, and it has a vision for the future in a unified suite of software products. These are the kinds of moves that turn a successful software company into an industry leader. WorkWave wants and is making moves toward that goal, and if you ask anyone in the company about this vision, I’m sure that it will align to that for the most part. The benefits are great, the company has regular events for its employees, offers free lunch, and generally offers kind perks to the people who work there. They’re also moving into BellWorks, a massive new office space with innovation and inventiveness at its core.

Cons

There are problems in the company’s culture, however, often attributed to “growing pains” in the recent rapid growth of the company. Whether or not that is true, there are elements of toxicity within the environment at WorkWave and sometimes, one can see cracks in the perception of a happy “Best Place to Work” that is so well-maintained. If you peruse the reviews, you’ll find plenty of nondescript short-answer praises of the company that shadow out other reviews from people with complaints of a culture that felt exclusionary and limiting for one reason or another. Engineers leaving this company have pointed out problems with management and supportability of software among other things, but when good things are said, rarely ever is the internal communication or development process particularly praised. There is reason for that. The vision that is shared from the top is having a lot of trouble in its actual implementation, and instead of getting the opinions of the people who actually do the work on these features, developers get hit with “accelerated” deadlines and “aggressive” roadmaps by proxy through middle management. Integrating products sounds really cool from the top, but when that integration isn’t well-supported by smart software development decisions, it builds a house of cards.

Not only that, but there is also a culture within engineering that smells toxic, and I’ve experienced that element more and more as I remained at the company. I can’t speak to other departments, because I didn’t really work in them. As a concrete example of this, one day I was staying late to finish up some work on a feature that was lagging somewhat (something I don’t mind doing, but building a culture of this is obviously detrimental and another problem entirely of developer superiority complexes.) Most of the other engineers had left, and I saw a group of the “old timer” engineers displaying pictures of one of the newer engineers on a projector and deriding this person, making fun them and laughing at their expense. I didn’t report this, because I’m not the kind of person who wants to cause trouble and people were already talking crap about me for being on social media in the open office environment. I was so repulsed by this that I grabbed my stuff and left to keep working at home. That, combined with a culture that thinks it’s a good idea to report new hires to management for “taking too many breaks” or “being on social media” without knowing anything about how much an employee _actually does_ should be a major red flag to any prospective or existing employee here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is in expanding their influence and employee knowledge to make smarter decisions. There is an influx of new people. If they are from successful backgrounds, and NOT just upper/middle management, try and learn something from them. If your employees have some problem and you dismiss it as a “reality of the company,” you are not doing your job, and you are not encouraging your people to do their jobs. If there is visible friction between older employees and newer employees, you are going to continue to have growing pains, and they will get worse and breed toxicity. There are cliques and they need to be broken or made more friendly and inclusive somehow. You’re doing well with the work/life balance and perks, but that is not all it takes to make a family. Not even close.

24 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're super excited about our upcoming relocation to BellWorks, and eager to share our continued growth and success with our talented employees. We're glad to hear ... More

"Excellent Place to Work"

Pros

Great atmosphere, good benefits, great work life balance, and really good people. This has been a great place to be. I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

We're not very good at crafting experiences. Chasing features and not stopping to pay back our technical and product debt will burn us when a strong competitor comes around.

People like their jobs but aren't sold on how what they do impacts customers.

Advice to Management

The feeling of coming to work at WorkWave is excellent already, but do two more things:

1. Have an Apple style "Snow Leopard" period of reflection and realize that reliability and friendliness sells products as much as new features. And that doesn't just mean marketing it better; it means building it better.
    2. To keep people engaged with their jobs try and find ways to remind them of how what they do impacts our customers.

23 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks WorkWaver! We're glad to hear that you like the environment, people, perks and culture! Since Glassdoor doesn't allow for the an open dialogue on your suggestions, I encourage you to talk ... More

"Good an bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance, laid back environment, casual dress, most major holidays off, you have the ability to work from home

Cons

The place is full of cliques. They rather higher people from outside than use the talented individuals they already have working there. They make you feel like it is a place you can build a career but there appears to be no upwards mobility. Not really sure that upper management really knows how the people are treated by middle management. If you care and speak up you may get a target placed on you. The free lunch isn't really free since you have to work while you eat it. We do these anonymous surveys where they use your feedback to make the place better but lately instead of going over the results they go over them in a one on one setting where it feels like they are trying to see who said what. The few do 80 percent of the work while the others skate by and get all the praise. The ones thy do the work don't get the promotions though. The raises if you get one are small and for all the hard work you do you don't even get year end bonuses. We used to feel like a family but now it's more like we are replaceable numbers.

Advice to Management

I have read the reviews and the responses. Maybe you should look into what is being said instead of saying they are wrong because I can assure you that they are not.

31 Dec, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Advancement opportunities are indeed available to those that work hard and embrace our core values. In fact, we had over 12 employees do just that in the last quarter alone! We are beyond proud and ... More

"A place to call home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

Pros

WorkWave is a truly inspiring and motivating place to work. They have created a culture and environment full of positive, friendly, ambitious, and open-minded people from entry level all the way to executive leadership. WorkWave is a very fulfilling place to work because you can genuinely make a difference. There is great office morale, positive energy, and upward mobility. WorkWave promotes healthy work/life balance and truly cares about their employees. Additionally, the many perks (such as a soon-to-be brand new office space and free lunch every day) are unbeatable. I am a raving fan, for sure!

Cons

I really don't have anything to list as a con!

Advice to Management

Keep the positive momentum going!

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

That's wonderful to hear! It's our goal to make all employees (and clients) raving fans. Thanks for everything you do to make our culture the best it can be!