WorkWave Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
WorkWave President & CEO Chris Sullens
Chris Sullens

Pros
  • They have added a week of PTO time to ensure employees have work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• The free lunch is a great perk and the benefits package is one of the best I've ever seen (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing so fast right now there are some growing pains with staff trying to keep up with the increase for their demand (in 11 reviews)

• Company is growing and evolving very rapidly, which can create its own challenges (in 6 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time

Pros

Workwave provides great collaborative environment

Cons

Middle management needs some improvements

Advice to Management

The company grow too fast without the right foundation, need a bit more processes around few areas

6 Apr, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

We're glad to hear that you appreciate the collaborative work environment within our engineering teams. That's awesome! As a growing company, having processes that scale and strong leaders are of ... More

"One Foot in the Future, With "Growing Pains" of the Past"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Neptune, NJ (US)

I worked at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WorkWave is a company that believes itself to be one marching toward the future and innovating on the way, like a lean, modern start up company with great funding. In many ways, it is an ideal place to work, because it has the financial backing of flagship software, has had the ability to make aggressive business decisions with rapid acquisitions and deals, and it has a vision for the future in a unified suite of software products. These are the kinds of moves that turn a successful software company into an industry leader. WorkWave wants and is making moves toward that goal, and if you ask anyone in the company about this vision, I’m sure that it will align to that for the most part. The benefits are great, the company has regular events for its employees, offers free lunch, and generally offers kind perks to the people who work there. They’re also moving into BellWorks, a massive new office space with innovation and inventiveness at its core.

Cons

There are problems in the company’s culture, however, often attributed to “growing pains” in the recent rapid growth of the company. Whether or not that is true, there are elements of toxicity within the environment at WorkWave and sometimes, one can see cracks in the perception of a happy “Best Place to Work” that is so well-maintained. If you peruse the reviews, you’ll find plenty of nondescript short-answer praises of the company that shadow out other reviews from people with complaints of a culture that felt exclusionary and limiting for one reason or another. Engineers leaving this company have pointed out problems with management and supportability of software among other things, but when good things are said, rarely ever is the internal communication or development process particularly praised. There is reason for that. The vision that is shared from the top is having a lot of trouble in its actual implementation, and instead of getting the opinions of the people who actually do the work on these features, developers get hit with “accelerated” deadlines and “aggressive” roadmaps by proxy through middle management. Integrating products sounds really cool from the top, but when that integration isn’t well-supported by smart software development decisions, it builds a house of cards.

Not only that, but there is also a culture within engineering that smells toxic, and I’ve experienced that element more and more as I remained at the company. I can’t speak to other departments, because I didn’t really work in them. As a concrete example of this, one day I was staying late to finish up some work on a feature that was lagging somewhat (something I don’t mind doing, but building a culture of this is obviously detrimental and another problem entirely of developer superiority complexes.) Most of the other engineers had left, and I saw a group of the “old timer” engineers displaying pictures of one of the newer engineers on a projector and deriding this person, making fun them and laughing at their expense. I didn’t report this, because I’m not the kind of person who wants to cause trouble and people were already talking crap about me for being on social media in the open office environment. I was so repulsed by this that I grabbed my stuff and left to keep working at home. That, combined with a culture that thinks it’s a good idea to report new hires to management for “taking too many breaks” or “being on social media” without knowing anything about how much an employee _actually does_ should be a major red flag to any prospective or existing employee here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is in expanding their influence and employee knowledge to make smarter decisions. There is an influx of new people. If they are from successful backgrounds, and NOT just upper/middle management, try and learn something from them. If your employees have some problem and you dismiss it as a “reality of the company,” you are not doing your job, and you are not encouraging your people to do their jobs. If there is visible friction between older employees and newer employees, you are going to continue to have growing pains, and they will get worse and breed toxicity. There are cliques and they need to be broken or made more friendly and inclusive somehow. You’re doing well with the work/life balance and perks, but that is not all it takes to make a family. Not even close.

24 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We're super excited about our upcoming relocation to BellWorks, and eager to share our continued growth and success with our talented employees. We're glad to hear ... More

"Excellent Place to Work"

Pros

Great atmosphere, good benefits, great work life balance, and really good people. This has been a great place to be. I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

We're not very good at crafting experiences. Chasing features and not stopping to pay back our technical and product debt will burn us when a strong competitor comes around.

People like their jobs but aren't sold on how what they do impacts customers.

Advice to Management

The feeling of coming to work at WorkWave is excellent already, but do two more things:

1. Have an Apple style "Snow Leopard" period of reflection and realize that reliability and friendliness sells products as much as new features. And that doesn't just mean marketing it better; it means building it better.
    2. To keep people engaged with their jobs try and find ways to remind them of how what they do impacts our customers.

23 Mar, 2017 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks WorkWaver! We're glad to hear that you like the environment, people, perks and culture! Since Glassdoor doesn't allow for the an open dialogue on your suggestions, I encourage you to talk ... More

"Good an bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance, laid back environment, casual dress, most major holidays off, you have the ability to work from home

Cons

The place is full of cliques. They rather higher people from outside than use the talented individuals they already have working there. They make you feel like it is a place you can build a career but there appears to be no upwards mobility. Not really sure that upper management really knows how the people are treated by middle management. If you care and speak up you may get a target placed on you. The free lunch isn't really free since you have to work while you eat it. We do these anonymous surveys where they use your feedback to make the place better but lately instead of going over the results they go over them in a one on one setting where it feels like they are trying to see who said what. The few do 80 percent of the work while the others skate by and get all the praise. The ones thy do the work don't get the promotions though. The raises if you get one are small and for all the hard work you do you don't even get year end bonuses. We used to feel like a family but now it's more like we are replaceable numbers.

Advice to Management

I have read the reviews and the responses. Maybe you should look into what is being said instead of saying they are wrong because I can assure you that they are not.

31 Dec, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Advancement opportunities are indeed available to those that work hard and embrace our core values. In fact, we had over 12 employees do just that in the last quarter alone! We are beyond proud and ... More

"A place to call home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

Pros

WorkWave is a truly inspiring and motivating place to work. They have created a culture and environment full of positive, friendly, ambitious, and open-minded people from entry level all the way to executive leadership. WorkWave is a very fulfilling place to work because you can genuinely make a difference. There is great office morale, positive energy, and upward mobility. WorkWave promotes healthy work/life balance and truly cares about their employees. Additionally, the many perks (such as a soon-to-be brand new office space and free lunch every day) are unbeatable. I am a raving fan, for sure!

Cons

I really don't have anything to list as a con!

Advice to Management

Keep the positive momentum going!

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

That's wonderful to hear! It's our goal to make all employees (and clients) raving fans. Thanks for everything you do to make our culture the best it can be!

"Perfect Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WorkWave is a great company to work for and I genuinely enjoy coming here everyday. Having been here for almost four years, I have seen the company's dedication to making their employees happy.They have added a week of PTO time to ensure employees have work/life balance. They have implemented the "difference card" to offset the cost of rising healthcare. They created a Talent Team, that focuses their efforts on professional development of employees. They send anonymous surveys to gauge how employees feel. This company really does want to create an enjoyable work environment, and they do! I feel lucky to work here and always recommend our open positions. Apply!

Cons

No cons at the time. It will be really nice to move into our new office space at Bell Works and have more personal space then we do now.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the initiatives you do throughout the year to keep us happy!

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks WorkWaver!! We really appreciate your feedback!

8. "Very happy at WorkWave!"

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of pros! The company is doing well and growing, so there is a lot of opportunity and the overall mood is happy and positive. Benefits are great and the company covers a good portion of medical etc. The number of PTO days was recently increased and is as good or better than other companies in the area. Management is flexible about time off and working from home. Another thing I really appreciate is that the company is results-focused and those who produce good work are rewarded, not necessarily those who put in a lot of "face time" or stay late every day. Overall there is definitely a priority placed on work/life balance.

There are also many employee appreciation events, a really nice holiday party and many volunteer opportunities.

While no company is perfect, as someone who has worked other places it is rare to find an employer who is so clearly invested in their employees.

Cons

Not many I can think of. As others have said, we've outgrown the space but that will be addressed with the office move. Teams and processes change often since we are growing fast, but changes are always explained by management and it feels like we are moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making this a great place to work! It shows that you truly care about employees' happiness!

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

We are so glad to hear that you're enjoying being a part of the WorkWave family! Yes, we're definitely growing fast - and looking forward to our new space at BellWorks. Thank you for contributing ... More

9. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

Pros

Great culture and work environment, Management takes your opinions and suggestions very seriously and is open to implementing change, Free lunch every day

Cons

Growing pains as the company get bigger, which are to be expected

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Great to hear! Thanks so much for sharing!

10. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere at WorkWave is the best I've seen in a corporate environment. Everyone works hard and seems to truly care about their jobs, while keeping a relaxed and casual atmosphere. The company actually cares about employee well-being, which is shown by providing free lunch daily and implementing healthy lifestyle programs.

Cons

The only con I have is that compensation here is slightly lower than what you may receive at a large corporation, but that is sort of expected with both a smaller company and the location. Certainly wouldn't cause me to look for employment elsewhere though.

1 Nov, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks for the post! It's great to see that you've been able to benefit from our company sponsored wellness program and our efforts to ensure a work/life balance for our team members!

11. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neptune, NJ (US)

I have been working at WorkWave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WorkWave is an excellent place to work with a great office culture. Everyone working here is incredibly friendly and willing to help you. Management is flexible with your schedule and duties, allowing for an awesome work-life balance. The company is growing rapidly and has lots of opportunities to grow and to succeed. The free lunch is a great perk and the benefits package is one of the best I've ever seen.

Cons

There are some growing pains, but the management is doing a great job leading us through the transition. The current office is on the smaller side, but we're moving to a much bigger and newer space soon.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

28 Oct, 2016 – VP, Talent Management

Thanks WorkWaver! We appreciate the kind words. Thanks for all your contributions to our success!