Hydro One Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.1
Hydro One President & CEO Carmine Marcello
Carmine Marcello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great pay, work life balance, friendly team members, convenient location close to the Eaton Centre" (in 25 reviews)

• "Good company with good pay (like so high" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Minimum scope for students to get a full time position here, as highly competitive" (in 15 reviews)

• "No cons, I really enjoyed the experience" (in 6 reviews)

"Summer Student"

I have been working at Hydro One part-time

Pros

Made great connections, co-workers are welcoming and friendly, loved coming to work everyday, and good wage for a student

Cons

Wish I had more responsibility.

"Dissatisfied"

Current Employee - Utilityman in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Utilityman in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company at the moment seems to be in a huge state of change.

Compensation. But I only consider this a pro to myself and not to the ratepayers.

Benefits are good if your a full time employee. If you are contract you get no benefits unless you want to dish out 300 from your pay cheque a month.

Pensions.

Cons

Offices are jail like, mostly the rural locations are notorious for this. The most notorious of these jail-locations is Barrie. Decisions are made at highest levels, and most employees get excluded. Managers and union reps are way overpaid and do absolutely nothing for those who work hard.

Trend is to hire temp/contract, pay less with no benefits. Hostile office politics for any promotions or job openings. If the managers don't like you or you look at them the wrong way you'll be terminated. Hearing on a regular basis these horror stories of how managers at the Barrie and Orangeville facility treat employees like garbage. Seeing lots of good talent and enthusiasm go to waste because of this toxic culture the managers have created.

They hired back the FHRITP employee, which is ridiculous. Union staff probably pride themselves on this kind of 'protection', but it comes down to doing the right thing. More honourable mentions are: Hydro One employees asleep at a boating dock, the ridiculous bills customers received, and asleep in a company vehicle on company time (a simple google search you can actually find these images). The list of atrocities goes on and on. I'm proud of the money I make here, but not proud to work here.

Advice to Management

Keep fresh talent. Remove unions. Stop treating employees like trash.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very great people to work with, a company of caring people.

Cons

Unrecognized for your efforts to certain projects

Advice to Management

Look at what is affecting the dismissal of so many experienced people.

"Management needs to be removed"

Current Employee - Administrative in Orangeville, ON
    Current Employee - Administrative in Orangeville, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time

Pros

- Good Salary.
    - Free lunch regularly.
    - 3-5 hour meetings where we don't have to do anything.

Cons

Working at the Orangeville location. Here’s some of the many cons at this place:

- Managers aren’t leaders. They are micromanaging dictators with no leadership skills.
    - Managers have zero people skills and lack a conscience.
    - Managers incessantly bully. Specifically mob bullying and gang up on individual employees.
    - Managers act extremely entitled. It’s to the extent where they become completely ignorant and arrogant.
    - Managers treat employees like slaves. Robotic interactions with subordinates. Not a family-oriented place at all.
    - Managers here are the type of people who hide behind lies like a bunch of sewer rats.
    - I’m pretty sure these managers are psychopaths.
    - A manager I considered a close friend for years, turned out to be the most unsupportive and deceitful. At the end of my career I would like to reflect on all the good work and positive impact I’ve created instead of all the employees I’ve stomped on.
    - If you meet management you’ll notice they either have missing teeth, are overweight, have some kind of mental psychosis, have chronic health issues, and smoke. Basically the exact opposite of what someone who practices health and safety should look like.
    - Managers are all in-bred country folk who have guns, love to hunt and stay cooped up in barns.
    - Homophobia is on the list. Casually calling employees ‘gay’ or ‘queer’ to them or in a meeting is not out of the ordinary.
    - Fair treatment at the Orangeville location doesn’t exist.
    - HR and union are just as corrupt and ultimately useless.
    - Lots of double standard nonsense.

How these people function off of such negativity is beyond me. How they are allowed to behave like this I understand because they are all in a group. As individuals they probably wouldn't even know what to do with themselves. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

Can someone fire these people? The Orangeville location should be shut down!

5. "Rampant workplace bullying and egregious politics"

Current Employee - Training in Orangeville, ON
    Current Employee - Training in Orangeville, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. Benefits are okay. Not many pros because of the cons.

Cons

Where do I begin? The level of unprofessionalism that goes on at the Orangeville location is appalling. This department prides themselves on health and safety but manages to do the exact opposite. Literally, animals get better treatment then the employees here. A manager actually makes barn animals a priority over supporting and treating employees with respect - this manager takes extended breaks to deal with giving birth to animals instead of developing careers. I wonder if this individual has a soul or any amount of emotional intelligence?!

I’m not sure if the managers were ever trained or have any people skills. They deal with things in a locked-arms style of management with hidden agendas and no consideration to employees. Meaning employees with families that have bills to pay, are expendable at any moment.

Privacy doesn't exist here for any of it’s employees and is laced with cameras due to the paranoia of the managers. This translates into a toxic workplace culture. It leaves you with a terrible lingering feeling from one day to the next. It’s corrupt, chaotic, and your personal life is expected to come 2nd to your job. Not a single manager here cares about work ethic. They look for individuals that can be brainwashed into becoming what they are. If you know how to work your way in with senior or executive management prepare to get on your knees and get ready for a soft serve.

The Orangeville location has been appropriately nicknamed ‘the hen-house’ by other locations. Nepotism is a huge issue at this facility as they hire based on family or buddy status. Racism is another huge issue here - degrading and making stereotypical remarks about indigenous/different ethnic people is a common thing. In order to meet a Hydro One standard they will begrudgingly hire 1 person with a different ethnic background, and then in meetings insult them and try to figure out how to fire them. Ableism is another prevalent thing here, as well as high school bullying tactics, and underhanded methods of silencing/removing employees. Complaining to HR and the union is a pointless endeavour. HR knows how bad this location is and sweeps everything under the rug. Their HR licenses should be revoked for such ignorant behaviour. The Hydro One union employees do the bare minimum and even help the corruption further. If you complain you get fired - the managers take no blame because if they were to get fired a huge payout would occur. It’s astonishing how bad this system is. You will lose faith in humanity when you start to realize you are working with corporate psychopaths who don't have any soul.

People who work at this facility don’t even know how to use powerpoint - meanwhile they are getting paid +100,000 yearly. Rules and regulations on every single tiny thing. Not to mention people are rampantly doing other peoples union responsibilities with no repercussions. At a meeting they once had a 1 hour long seminar on why lifting 40 lbs is bad. 1 HOUR!! They also create these useless HODS/Safety documents which take a year to make and become obsolete in a week. Meetings at this location run 3-4 times a week, 6-8 hrs long. 5% is work, while 95% is devoted to gossiping, bullying, and figuring out how to slight other employees without the union noticing. Lots of money being wasted, I'm pretty sure in the hundreds of millions by now based on how long these people have been managers. What a miserable place.

Advice to Management

Fire management and restructure.

"decent place to work for-lots of politics and corporate hogwash"

I have been working at Hydro One full-time

Pros

decent workplace and work life balance. not that stressful. can take vacation almost any time.

Cons

after a while you get stuck in the corporate ladder depending what racial background or what entourage you belong. no training whatsoever. stagnating. don't feel valued at all.

Advice to Management

the company is super vertical and runs like an army. very silo based.

7. "Test Engineer"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hydro One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World class New Grad training program. Great benefit and pension. OK work environment.

Cons

Not easy to have promotion opportunities.

8. "Great pay"

I have been working at Hydro One part-time

Pros

Good pay excellent benefits, easy work

Cons

Office Politics, very low mobility

9. "Communications Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hydro One (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay
    recently privatized so very interesting to see changes in business
    strong pension

Cons

limited upwards mobility
    boring and traditional work environment

10. "Job Security but very corporate"

Current Employee - GIS Technician
    Current Employee - GIS Technician

I have been working at Hydro One (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good work and life balance

Cons

hard to advance, very corporate and slow paced