FDM Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Feb 26, 2020

3.1
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
Pros
  • "One thing that is certain is that FDM is a gateway to blue chip companies(in 90 reviews)

• "The opportunity presented to the dedicated trainees is by far the biggest positive of the graduate programme(in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • "Account Managers do not know anything technical but they make the decision or look for jobs where you gonna work for the next 2 years(in 165 reviews)

• "You're placed on a strict 2 year contract and the two years don't start until you are placed with your employer(in 81 reviews)

1. "Great place to kick-start your career"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Training Placements at Big Clients Job Security for min two years Great support from FDM while on-site

Cons

There are not cons here. As some people usually blame the two year contract. But I would say that you can get excellent oppurtunities even at the start of your career easily. Its better to join FDM and start the career path

FDM Group2020-01-31
  2. "To be considered if you are fresher and in Work Permit"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top Banks as clients for placement

Cons

Salary is very less to average compensastion and bond for 2 years

FDM Group2020-02-22
  3. "Poor Salary"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

You may get placed in big companies like RBC, TD, etc.

Cons

Client pays FDM around 100k~150k to hire you but FDM will pay you 40k in first year. They literally prey on new graduates.

FDM Group2020-02-19
  4. "Good for fresher but not for experienced people"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good clients like RBC, BMO, etc banks

Cons

Salary is very less if you have an experience.

FDM Group2020-02-07

"It got me in(Software developer)"

Former Employee - Committee Clerk in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-gets you in the door especially if you are doing a switch from original undergrad degree. The bigger the switch the more hours you will need to put in after work to keep up with the rest. -Different clients you can work at if you dont spend all your time with one client -Training and at worst you get let go without the penalty if you cant get one -good networking base as everyone goes in different companies -training is useful to people who didn't do pure software in their undergrad

Cons

-bad timing can lead to fewer jobs (look at hiring season in the year) -a competitive class can leave you with fewer jobs -clients can back out after choosing you which can hurt you if you passed on other opportunities -pay (of course this one was necessary)

FDM Group2020-02-05
  6. "Waste of time, but decent money short term"

Former Employee - Software Tester in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Crazy account managers selling you like a piece of meat

Cons

Everything. The recruiter asked me before joining if I wanted to be a developer or a tester. I told her whichever is easier to get a job and she replied with “both are fine, you should pick whichever you prefer more”. So here I am, making a lazy decision to go with the testing route - with a Computer Science degree in my hand already. Fast forward 3 months later after training, I still struggle with finding a job in testing and I see every developer getting hired around me. Mind you, I try to prove to them that I am capable of developing but the account managers already stuck a label on me forever in this company. I finally get a job at company X for a manual testing position and quickly decide to leave. I plot my way through and basically forced them to fire me so I wouldn’t pay the 30,000 dollar contract. Mind you, this was a very frustrating process with everyone asking for an explanation.

FDM Group2020-02-04
  7. "The company needs a lot of improvement"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. If you are seeking a first professional experience; 2. My supervisors (the Academy Supervisors) were great and friendly; 3. FDM Group offers a corporate access to Pluralsight.com, a website replete with programming tutorials; 4. You can improve your knowledge of Java if you are in the Development Stream; 5. Great dental insurance once you are working on-site with one of FDM's clients. The coverage starts at 50% during the first year. Afterwards, it increases to 100%; 6. The holidays are always announced in advance. This makes it easy for you to plan your long weekends; 7. Exposure to Spring MVC, SQL, JPA, JDBC, Maven and Mockito.

Cons

1. Trainees in computer programming and business analysts receive the same pay; 2. When you are not working on-site, FDM Group will only pay you slightly above the minimum wage; 3. The odd pay schedule, which is always on the 15th and last days of each month. During your first month at FDM Group, expect not to receive a paycheck for THREE SOLID weeks. Moreover, apply for an overdraft protection at your bank in order to protect yourself; 4. FDM Group hires too many university graduates of Computer Science or [insert a branch of science] Engineering who can't code to save their own lives. Those people thin it is up to FDM to train them to code real-world softwares or websites. Moreover, those graduates heading into the Development stream can't bother to use Pluralsight.com; 5. Having either an assignment or a test at the end of each module of your training. Working at FDM feels like still being stuck in school. No wonder you see many immature workers; 6. The pay is below market for Java developers; 7. Although my two supervisors treated me very well, FDM's culture can be patronizing.

FDM Group2020-02-01
  8. "Avoid it if you can"

Former Employee - Big Data Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to work with big clients.

Cons

Account Managers do not know anything technical but they make the decision or look for jobs where you gonna work for the next 2 years They sell their training as an award-winning one, but there are some trainers who have little experience in their fields.

FDM Group2020-02-19
  9. "interview"

Current Employee - Big Data Engineer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

everything was online and you can do it everywhere

Cons

they had different kinds of tests

FDM Group2020-01-11

"Great company culture, room to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Dynamic team - Easy to transition roles within company and to grow - Autonomy

Cons

- Salary is low for an expensive city like Toronto

FDM Group2019-12-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 92 reviews