ATB Financial Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.8
ATB Financial President and CEO Curtis Stange
Curtis Stange

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I've got really reasonable work life balance and get to work with a great team of professionals" (in 117 reviews)

• "Flexible work structure (start/end time, work from home)" (in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ATB is willing to push the envelope. This company is filled with people who care about our customers. ATB is willing to try and learn from attempts that didn't succeed. They truly care about team members well being. I love working here.

Cons

No company is perfect. There are still politics being played in departments and teams. The transformation is starting to wobble a bit and I'm not sure we will meet all the objectives. Again, politics at the senior management level, however the heads all have the best for their area at heart. Just need to break down the pillars more. A name change to guilds by itself doesn't do it.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and march to the same drummer. Transformation needs to see that "scrum" is not the solution to all. Operations will stall all the good things. I wish Curtis was more visible to the company.

6 Feb, 2019

Appreciate the feedback.

Happy to hear that the culture of ATB shines through for you and also the feedback regarding moving forward.

2. "29.5 Years and counting"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have had the pleasure or working within the culture of ATB Financial well before we had the 11 ATB's.

ATB Financial has continued to evolve and become better within each iteration to be THE PLACE TO BANK and most definitely THE PLACE TO WORK.

As we continue to evolve while always growing pains, there is amazing opportunity for personal and professional growth along with conversations to align your talents to either the day to day job or experiential growth opportunities.

Cons

I don't believe I have any cons to comment on. Every business has items that one might not see eye to eye on. Having the honest conversations in an appropriate way is fundamental to relationships and personal brand.

Advice to Management

With growth the awkward stage of finding your feet is a component of doing business. Where team members want to pursue additional training the dollars spent are well worth the money.

3. "Disorganized Chaos"

I worked at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

Small enough to make changes but big enough to make a difference to the province. Good benefits, will miss the flexibility. Mostly great leaders.

Cons

So much going on, duplication everywhere. Nothing actually is being accomplished. Adopted Agile methodology and have seen much less being produced. So many priorities and agendas, it's a mess. There a few leaders that are bullies and senior management covers for them and lets them behave horribly. Culture is rapidly changing from once amazing to bleh. Where is Curtis?

Advice to Management

Stick to the organizational priorities. Trust your counterparts to get work done and if they aren't getting work done - get rid of them. Do not tolerate crappy leaders.

14 Feb, 2019 – Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time provide a review of your time with ATB.

We do strive to create a culture where team members are provided with great benefits, and flexibility in their work and great... More

4. "CSR"

Pros

Great place to learn the basics

Cons

The company limits your growth potential

31 Jan, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

A great place to learn the basics and do hope that you find opportunities to growth both personally and professionally.

"Good company, bad department"

Current Employee - Marketing in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Marketing in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-I love ATB as a company. At a high level, they really do believe in what ATB stands for.
    -Great benefits
    -Good tech: phones, laptops, etc

Cons

-Raise freezes even after record profit breaking years
    -Company is pretty segregated with many different priorities in different departments
    -Some departments have a negative culture

14 Feb, 2019 – Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and sharing your valuable feedback. ATB does invest in benefits and tools so team members have what they need to do their best work. ATB is always... More

6. "Great learning opportunity - career advancement opportunities remain unclear."

I have been working at ATB Financial (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Workplace 2.0 - allows you to be where you need to be
    -Flexible Benefits
    -For management level and above the pension is industry leading.
    -Mostly engaged team’s working towards a common purpose
    -I believe ATB is the best bank in Alberta - hands down.
    -Growing pains - but overall transitioning into new spaces effectively.

Cons

-Base salary is not competitive, or even median, for the marketplace. This has resulted in a number of high-performing individuals leaving.
    -There has been no raises for the past 4 years or so - which means that for employees in ‘destination roles’ that haven’t changed positions - they’re getting about 8% less pay in today’s dollars.
    -Many processes and systems are inefficient - and I believe we are doing our very best to solve, but this is a hard problem with no easy fix.
    -HR at ATB, or People and Culture - while willing to answer any questions you may have/are generally nice - have zero involvement in facilitating a career roadmap for any existing team members. This results in the individual relying on the leader to support/guide their development - which some leaders don’t have the capability to do, and others are incentivized to hold you back as long as possible/to prevent a team vacancy. This attitude is what sometimes creates an echo chamber where we hire from outside the company to resolve the vacancy - instead of promotion from within.

28 Jan, 2019

Thank you for investing the time to provide a review.

To ensure that ATB delivers on it's promises we need to know when we fall short.

Where existing process, career path are falling short... More

7. "Work Life Balance"

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Good Compensation
    Good Technical opportunities

Cons

No Parking for employees who commute to office.

8. "Financial Advisor Associate"

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

ATB is a great place to work, they provide on going development and flexibility.

Cons

ATB is not competitive with salaries.

28 Jan, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review with your time thus far with ATB Financial.

Love the commentary regarding the development and flexibility with ATB though various sources of... More

9. "ATB leader"

Current Employee - Atb Leader in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Atb Leader in Calgary, AB

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong sense of purpose. Big time focus on customers and Alberta's greater good. A great work environment - - very inclusive where you can bring your true self to work . ATB is also google shop with tools for collaboration and agile practices. The CEO and senior executive team is open, approachable and caring.

Cons

The only con (which could also be a pro) is that the job opportunities are limited to within the province. That said, there is a small percentage of team members who live outside of Alberta and are still able to fullfill their job /role working remotely. The technology and collaboration tools makes it easy! (guess thats a pro too)

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive!

Thanks for the review!

Greatly appreciate the sense of purpose and focus on customer obsession!

10. "HR"

I have been working at ATB Financial full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Autonomy, Environment where you learn new things

Cons

Ambiguity, constant change, weak middle management leadership. Little work life balance

31 Jan, 2019

As ATB continues to evolve, we have growing pains however, those items that make ATB the place to be will always be there.

Where those growing pains are seen as a hindrance to our culture those... More