Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Software Engineer Interview Questions

1,441

Software engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

implement sqrt without using math libray

9 Answers

e^((ln(x))/2)

I think exp and ln still require a Math library. How about using Newton's method to find the root of f(x) = x^2 - a, where x is the solution (the sought square root) and where a is the number for which you want to find the square root?

I would have implemented either Taylor or MacLaurin series, centered at an integer number that is closest to the number that you want to find the square root for, such that the square root of this integer is clean. So if you wanted to find the square root of 8.5, I would centre the series at 9 (sqrt(9) = 3), then compute the series at that point. I'd probably choose between 8 and 10 terms, as that is what is used in any scientific calculator.

A few questions on basic command-line syntax in Unix shells: 1. How would you log output and error messages from a command to a file? 2. How would you run the same command on every file in a directory? 3. How would you find the PID of a named process (say if you wanted to kill it)?

5 Answers

Recently I attended the interview at Google and I was asked "You are given a sorted list of disjoint intervals and an interval, e.g. [(1, 5), (10, 15), (20, 25)] and (12, 27). Your task is to merge them into a sorted list of disjoint intervals: [(1, 5), (10, 27)]."

9 Answers

Write a function that divides one number by another, without using the division operator, and make it better than O(n).

7 Answers

Given an array of 1001 elements, consists all numbers from 1-1000. Only one number is repeated. Write a function that returns the repeated number.

4 Answers

Given 100 white marbles and 100 black marbles and two jaws. Put these marbles in the two jars in a way that would maximize the chance of retrieving a white marble from any given jaw.

4 Answers

Explain a situation where a deadlock would occur.

3 Answers

After asking the details of my current role, he only gave me a simple coding question. Write a function using C++ or Java that is passed an integer and it returns the number of bits set to 1. Is there a way to improve your solution and make it faster and more efficient?

3 Answers

Finding a path in a maze which is represented by a grid of characters.

3 Answers

find a missing element in array B compare to array A.

110 of 1,441 Interview Questions