Technical program manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Find jobs for technical program manager

Technical program manager Interview Questions

technical program manager interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

What is the difference between a risk and an issue?

4 Answers

This is classic project management professional terminology, which I knew. But since I'm not a PMP I didn't know the precise definitions so I didn't try to bluff it. In the real world the two things are so different that you can't really point out what the differences are. I was left doing a goldfish impression - mouth opening & closing.

An issue is an actual problem which is (negatively) impacting your project. A risk is an unknown or potential future event -- can have negative OR POSITIVE impact (yes!) and may or may not occur.

In Jeopardy you wouldn't get the money! That doesn't say what the difference is, it says what each of them are, but yes a reasonable response can be extrapolated from that (my resume did say "attention to detail" even if it didn't say "PMP"). Non-PMP's will probably laugh at the concept that risks can be positive because in any normal dictionary they are only about negative things ("exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance"). That PMP speak doesn't term them "uncertainties" instead of "risks" is risible.

One of the most interesting questions was around a web page that was timing out when downloading data and how you would go out addressing it. I came up with so many different ideas and it was quite fun to problem solve

3 Answers

All behavioral questions for 30 mins (tell me about a time...), then discussed Burn down chart based question, why the slope goes upside in a burn down chart. Then discussed the database design for tinyurl implementation.

1 Answer

A lot of PM type scenario questions. Try to really understand the job description. Keep in mind this is a "Technical" program manager, so know your technologies.

1 Answer

Tell me about a situation when you had to make a judgement call. What did you do? What was the outcome?

2 Answers

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Tell me about a time you applied your risk management skills.

First question asked; how did you know about Global Relay

Tell me about a time that your project failed.

110 of 10 Interview Questions