Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Lehi, UT (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

I was sent a schedule of three interviews. The first two would be one hour and the third would be 90 minutes, which included a lunch. He said that if the first three interviews went well, they would have me stay for two additional interviews. The recruiter said that they don't usually let candidates know about the other two interviews.
#1:
The interviewer was a lead-developer and very welcoming. He was extremely laid-back and low-pressure. He asked me the traditional "what would you do if..." and I was given plenty of time to have him answer my questions. The problem given to me was that of rebuilding a FAT table after it had been deleted. The interviewer drew some shapes to represent bytes of data and went through the problems setup before I started. I walked away from this interview thinking that if everyone I met was only half as cool as this guy, that Microsoft would definilty be the place for me. He was sharp, had great people skills, and sold me on the company.
#2:
The interviewer was a senior SDET. This is where things started going bad. He was definitely all business and was definietly a high strung type of personality (that's the impression I got from my hour with him). He gave me two problems. The first was to code the game Battleship and the second was to code a program that would return the least amount of coins, like the automated change machines you see in grocery stores. The program would accepts an array of denominations and an amount to dispense. So, for example, you would calculate the number of coins to give back for 67 cents, and the denominations could be anything, not just the traditional 25, 10, 5, and 1. He could ask for the change using coin denominations such as 12, 5, and three. The goal was to return the smallest number of coins. Well, he was a little condescending and mistook some of my relief when he changed the rules of the problem for cockiness. I explained to him that I was relieved that he had made the scenario easier, not that I thought it was necessarily easy, just easier. What really struck me as unprofessional though was the fact that he was chomping away on some snacks as I worked out the problems. He was chewing loud enough that the crunching of whatever he was eating was not only distracting, but said to me that he didn't take me seriously enough to just focus on me, he had to eat his food too. This is when I started to think ,maybe this isn't the place for me.
#3:
The interviewer was a lead SDET. We had lunch and talked. It's a little awkward to eat and try to talk, but it went well enough. Most of the interview was casual conversation with a few official business questions tossed into the mix. When we got back to the office, she had me solve a problem that consisted of building a funtion that would determine if one string was the substring of another. You were basically recreating the standard .NET substring function, but were not allowed to use any of the built-in framework functions that did the substring for you. She was great to talk with, and she too sold me on what a great company MS was to work for and had me thinking the same again. She was able to reverse the negative impression of the last interview.
#4:
Here's where it all fell apart. I don't know what this last guy's job title was, but "jerk" would be fitting enough. To start with, he honestly looked like he was about to fall asleep. There were severa; times where it looked like he dozed off and awoke as I started to respond to his question. He was extremely condescending, arrogant, and short with me. Even if my first three interviews had convinced me to work at MS, his interview was such a negative experience for me that I have scratched them from my companies that I want to work for in the future. The first problem he gave me I honestly can't remember. I just remember him finally giving out a sigh of frustration and telling me tersely, "let's do another one since I basically did that one for you." The second was a traditional graph with an x and y axis. I was instructed to draw ten lines, the ten best lines for testing the graph. After that he changed the scenario a little, and I was told to add any lines needed to further test the graph considering the new conditions, but I would have to remove some of the existing lines, since I would only have ten. Well, at the end of this miserable experience, he told me that he was going to get my next interviewer. I was offer a drink and sat in the lounge for several minutes as he passed by a couple times. He then came over and said "well, I guess that's it for today. Thanks."

I left that day with mixed feelings about working for them. They decided that my people skills were great, but that my technical skills were lacking. I view it as dodging a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Rebuild a FAT table from scratch given some basic conditions/rules.   1 Answer
  • Show me how to test a graph (x and y axis) using ten lines.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Jose, CA (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

The phone interview was very professional with good questions. My first 1:1 interview started with puzzles with no technical questions or questions about my experience. Next interviewers asked technical questions, but they were very easy, and PUZZLES. Puzzles/algorithms were a determination factor.

Interview Questions

• Puzzle about horses and races. Find min number of races to find the fastest horse (see web).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2009.

Interview

I applied on microsoft.com/careers for multiple positions. About a month later I was emailed a document which included some questions asking me to rate myself in various programming languages as well as a coding question. The question was to implement a function that returned true if a linked list had a cycle in it.

After filling out and returning the document I was setup for a phone interview with the team. During the phone interview I was asked some soft questions about my interests in technology, background, etc. I was also asked how I would implement a function to convert a character array into an integer. I was told I would be hearing from them again.

The next day the recruiter emailed me to setup an in person interview in Redmond, Washington. On the day of the interview I went to the wrong building and ended up barely making my interview time. Tip - arrive early!

*Interviewer 1 - SDET: Soft questions about background, then jumped into a coding question. How would I reverse words in a paragraph of text. I coded it out and he pointed out a bug, which I fixed.

*Interviewer 2 - Lead SDE: Jumped right into a coding question. There's a tree where in addition to the left/right pointers, there's another pointer set to NULL. I was to write a function to traverse the tree, initializing that pointer to the nodes sibling. So basically just connecting up the levels of the tree.

*Interviewer 3 - Lead SDET: Print tree level by level. I coded up a solution in 10 minutes and ran some test cases through it. He then sold me on his team.

*Interviewer 4 - Lead SDET: No coding question. The entire interview was me writing a test plan to test a robot.

*Interviewer 5 - Development Manager: Some chit chat about resume, then a coding question. Print the count of letters in an array. So if the array was "ababac", I would print a - 3, b - 2, c - 1.

After the interview the manager said I would hear from them soon. Next day I was given an offer, contingent on a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Don't take the first offer, especially if you know you did well in the interview. Ask for more and a sign-on bonus.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter was very helpful throughout the process even though I did not get the job.

I had 2 phone screenings: one by the recruiter which was general questions and some technical trivia. The other was a more technical interview consisting of some coding and testing problems.

Then I was flown over to Redmond and had 4 interviews back to back on campus. They weere all very technical and testing oriented.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview 1: How would you test an instant messenger system? How would you sort a large array?   Answer Question
    • Phone interview 2: Write a function that accepts a string and returns the number of words in it. How will you test it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2009.

Interview

I had two simultaneous loops for two different positions at Microsoft, got selected in both and I accepted the one I thought was best suited for me.
    The interview process started with emailed questionnaire that included personal + problem solving type questions. Then the loops themselves contained 5 interviews each. The interviewers were from the team that needed the candidate.
    I was asked to comment on lot of actual scenario/daily problems and their solution. The 1:1 interview had questions mainly on algorithms and testing scenarios.
    Overall it was a typical Microsoft interview. The key to crack it is being confident answering and being strong in the fundamentals (datastructures, algorithms)

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will take in a phone number and output all possible alphabetical combinations (found in a normal phone keypad) for it.   Answer Question
    • How would you test the function above?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

lengthy, analytical

Interview Questions

• how to reverse words in a string preserving the formatting   2 Answers
    • how to find the closest predecessor of a node in binary by doing inorder traversal.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

I attended for a two-day on-site interviews for two different groups. The first day interview went very well. The second day was okay (I did not get offer from this team, which is very obvous) The very first thing I want to mention about the microsoft interview process is that all the employees who interviewed me are very down to earth candidates. Almost at all times, they were either trying to help me or asking some plain questions.. there is no show off of their knowledge. I felt very relieved compared to my previous experience at other companies like Google, Amazon etc. All the interviewers are very friendly, they did not make any facial expressions or anything like that.. which made me feel that this is the place I should be working at.

During the on-site interviews the candidate is scheduled for a definite three 1:1 interviews, if the candidate is good enough then more interviews will be conducted and finally you will happen to meet the hiring manager. All the questions I was asked are data strucure related problem solving questions and simple test cases. Writing code on white board is bit tough for anyone, but practice makes you perfect. They are no longer asking any puzzles :).

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2008.

Interview

It was mostly consisted of normal c/c++ code, algorithm, puzzle solving. they also asked concepts related OS data structure and networking. The whole process took 2 day. 1 they had a written test which was followed by 4 rounds of technical interviews. Interview was of medium complexity and i answered most of the questions easily. Overall i had a very positive experience. They also did background and educational verification after the interview and before giving the offer letter

Interview Questions

• write a program to check that opening and closing braces match   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

Went on site interview. Interviewers was nice and recruiter prepared and calmed me for the upcoming interviews. Went through 5 interviews but did not get an offer. Interview questions ranged from algo questions to design questions.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

I've been through this process with Amazon and Google before and the phone screening process is pretty much the same. Not too many questions about resume or experience but algo and data structure questions.
    Got a response the next day to tell me they wanted to bring me in for 1:1 interviews. Trip was schedule for the following week and the process is made very easy by the recruiter. They take care of everything for you and you just have to approve the final travel arrangements.

My on-site interviews started with a 30 minutes meeting with my recruiter. He then brought me back to the lobby area where the first interviewer (an SDET II) came to get me. We went to his office. We went through a couple of algo and data structure problems and he then asked me questions about design patterns and other behavioral stuff. It was about 60 minutes including some time for me to ask questions.
    The next interview was over lunch (also with an SDET II) but was very similar. Being during lunch, the discussion seems a little more casual but you are still being interviewed and you still have to solve problems.

The last interview was with a Senior SDET Lead, in his office. He gave me an algo problem and a UI design question. The rest was based on my past experience and some behavioral questions. We ended up spending more time talking than solving problems.

I was pretty confident after the first 2 interviews but it all went downhill during the 3rd one. The reaction and facial expressions of my interviewer made me feel like I was getting it all wrong. He told me at the end that I was done which confirmed my feeling was right since they usually schedule more interviews if you are doing well.

Interview Questions

• Write a method to rotate an array at n without using O(1) space.
      How would you test this method   1 Answer
    • Given an array of size n with values within a known range, write a method to find duplicates in O(1)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.