iQmetrix Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Regina, SK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Regina, SK

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and balance between work and personal life

Cons

Wage could be better if compared with other companies

"Good people, bad management"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. Nice office. An extra annual one week vacation the company organizes for employees. Good salary.

Cons

Lots of politics. Will recommend that company only for junior specialist or as a temporary place to work.

Advice to Management

Rebuild the management, get more energetic people with new ideas. Change marketing strategy .

3. "Good company, great benefits"

Former Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is good. People are very friendly and there are a lot of events and activities that bring people closer. The company encourages a good work-life balance. There are regular fitness classes and a gym in the building.

Cons

The company went through a restructuring last year which involved team changes and layoffs. The morale was very bad at the time. I left the job because I wasn't motivated and challenged enough in my team. Depending on which team you join, you may have great growth opportunities or none at all.

Advice to Management

More leadership coaching and better personal/career development budget.

"World class technology and people"

Former Employee - Content Curator in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Content Curator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

iQmetrix puts an unbelievable amount of energy into corporate culture. Success is not restricted at just profit, but how the employees work life is experienced. This results in attracting some of the brightest and most inspiring people I have ever met. I was given the opportunity to travel to three different countries and countless other trips within Canada.

The annual corporate trip allows employees to connect with their peers and feel valued as they relax in a tropical place (Mexico, Hawaii etc.). Many companies aspire to this level of corporate culture by stating their values. The difference is how iQmetrix lives them out by investing into their people.

The company has grow substantially but still keeps its entrepreneurial spirit by investing in new startups incubated within the company. I always felt secure because of how well the company is managed financially. In nearly five years of being an employee, iQmetrix did not have a penny of debt.

If my life circumstances were different I would not have left. I would encourage anyone to take advantage of working with this company.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges of not having strict formal policies for everything is communication. The company has some fluid and organic ways of operating to avoid being stagnate and stale. Unfortunately, this can cause some issues with employees understanding things from time to time. They have invested allot of time and money to improve this.

Advice to Management

After leaving iQmetrix, I truly understood what a amazing opportunity it is to work there. I would encourage management to communicate to employees more how unique it is to be part of such a cutting edge company.

29 Dec, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for the amazing review!

"Don't drink the kool-aid"

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The higher ups aren't stiffs.

Great company to use as a stepping stone to get into a better job at a different company

Cons

One major thing would be the work environment, sometimes the people there act very childish, rude and sometimes very sexist. While I am no prune sometimes my lead takes it to far with her jokes, or aggressive manner in the way she calls peoples names or berates them. It is hard to tell sometimes how to take it. It is hard to talk to the right people about it as if you worked there you would know.

The company is great at saying, you are free to do stuff, you are free to be noticed, you are free to take the initiative it is nearly impossible to do with the amount of road blocks that exists. Not saying it can't be done, just really hard to do.

The company is good for the first 2 years however after that, you are stuck in that position unless you are good at sucking up to the right people.

I am glad that I got the experience that I did at this company but I am also glad that shorty, my path will be moving away from the company.

Advice to Management

There are people that are scared to express themselves now because you might be labeled as "not right for the company."

"Great Community / Flexible Workplace"

I worked at iQmetrix full-time

Pros

There's a fair amount of effort going into the wellbeing of the employees, where it felt like you were really a part of a great community. There's also a good amount of flexibility, autonomy, and invitations to propose new ideas.

Cons

There was almost too much flexibility for tools and processes. I experienced individuals becoming siloed based on the comfort of their own workflow, and sometimes it developed duplicate or redundant work.

Advice to Management

There are opportunities for Ops positions to help elevate the strengths of team to team, and develop a good balance of company and team standards vs. individual autonomy across roles, for improved collaborations and outcomes.

12 Sep, 2017 – Director, Corporate Relations

Thank you for the positive review!

"Great people, poorly managed"

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall talent level of employees is excellent (particularly the front line staff) and the company culture allows for some flexibility in how you carry out your job. Benefits are good, work life balance is reasonable, and the office space is new and modern.

If you're looking for an entry-level to intermediate developer, QA, or business analyst role and you don't have any immediate plans to progress your career, iQ can be a great place to do your job the way you want to without a lot of bureaucratic overhead, and with good tools at your disposal. I can't comment on other roles within the company as I'm less familiar with them.

Cons

I can echo previous reviews citing concerns over limited opportunities for growth. If you are a technically minded individual with leadership and/or people management skills, and you'd like to become more involved in product direction, the opportunities are few and far between. All of the director-type positions that have opened up during my time have been filled by outside hires, while people already in those positions have been with the company almost from the start. Meanwhile, the more junior leadership roles have been filled via appointments rather than internal postings (yes, there is an internal job board, but the team-lead type positions never get posted there for an open competition). This has led to a dearth of people with technical competency in leadership positions where important business decisions are made.

You can see this in iQ's current search for a CTO. The fact that a technology company can operate for years without a CTO says something about how senior management values technical leadership in the first place, while the inability to groom anyone internally for this role speaks equally well to the sort of training and mentorship that up-and-coming employees receive.

Meanwhile, if you do work on a product development team, you'll quickly find that all of your priorities are dictated to you by management (in spite of iQ's promise of autonomous teams), and your timelines are set in stone based on whatever the clients have demanded (regardless of whether the dates are feasible). This has led to a culture of near continuous crisis for some teams, where you cannot work on long term objectives because you're too busy applying band-aids to the latest round of short-sighted decision making.

Advice to Management

Listen to your technical people about the kind of investment required to develop software for the long haul. Instead of pouring time and effort into money losing side projects, maybe the teams that generate all of the revenue could get some help to address years of technical debt and quality control problems.

Push back on unrealistic client demands. It's better to say "no" upfront than to allow your development teams to fail at impossible targets months down the line. Ensure that accountability for these projects lies with the people committing to the timelines, not the implementation teams tasked with doing the impossible.

Ask yourself what sort of training and development programs are available for entry-level leaders who'd like to expand their roles in the company, and why so few have been able to grow in this way. Consider what this says of the effectiveness of your middle management tier.

"No opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people are really down to earth and great to work with. There are some really talented people there that know there stuff and do the best they can to make their products successful. iQmetrix makes it easy to have a good work-life balance

Cons

iQmetrix likes to advertise itself as a flat structure. If you want a role, just start doing it, and it will become your job. But almost a decade of experience at this company has shown everything to be the opposite. At iQmetrix, you need to rub shoulders with the right people in order to progress into new roles. Every single leadership position in the Winnipeg office has been filled by someone being tapped on the shoulder. I've worked on the ground floor as a developer, and as a team lead, but I got lucky being in the right place at the right time for that to happen. For other developers, their best hope is to keep working and hope one day someone takes notice, which can take years, if it ever happens. Couple this with the fact that the entire executive team is located in Vancouver, so there is no insight into the needs of the office at all.

In terms of building products, it's basically split into two camps. iQmetrix has a flagship application which dominates the market, and essentially pays the bills of every other product that the company makes, as none of these other products turn a profit. Decisions on what to build and how are made in echo chambers by people in positions of authority, which based on how they got there, are typically people with zero product management experience. iQmetrix doesn't seem to recognize that they have a completely untapped pool of people who have worked on their products for years, and have something to contribute for making a successful product. If you want to progress into helping define what makes a product successful, and once again, you don't know the right people, just stop right now. You have no path of progression into this role.

Advice to Management

While recent staff meetings have tried to write off dissenting opinions as people who simply aren't a good fit for the company, it might be time to look at people that aren't the extroverts in the company, and realize that they need an actual path to growing their career. Maybe try posting for positions like lead links, people ops, and product managers, instead of just assigning out roles. And maybe don't have your head of product act surprised when he finds out that developers are actually interested in helping guide the success of a product or team, and not just executing on someone else's vision.

14 Aug, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review,; a lot of the points above have been noted by the P+C team from our recent company wide employee survey. In regards to your concerns with growth within the company, we... More

"Quirky corporate culture mixed with lots of fear."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at iQmetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the brightest technical people.
    Casual dot-com culture.
    Swanky office buildings.

Cons

Small town politics.
    Poor communication.
    Us vs them attitudes between different departments.
    limited budget for IT infrastructure.
    Management lacks confidence and the projects that lack of confidence on to their subordinates.

Advice to Management

iQmetrix is fledgling enterprise with all the tools it needs to be great.
    Get a CTO and trust him or her to seek out and implement the best industry practices. Believe in your staff and embrace change.

"Lots of really great people"

I worked at iQmetrix full-time

Pros

Lots of really great individuals work there.

Cons

Huge disconnect between people and teams in different offices

Lots of people are silently disappearing (being fired) while upper management is telling everyone their jobs are safe and no one is being let go.

Outward image doesn't reflect reality

Advice to Management

"The decisions we make under pressure reveal who we really are."

14 Aug, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your honest feedback. The disconnect mentioned in your review is being addressed currently with new initiatives to try and bridge the gaps between teams across offices. It is something... More