Smartsheet Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2020

4.0
Smartsheet CEO Mark Mader
Mark Mader
Pros
  • "Work life balance is also something that the company really promotes and lives by(in 21 reviews)

• "Great product that every employee uses and loves themselves(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "mediocre base salary, low bonuses, no 401k match)(in 16 reviews)

• "Expected growing pains for a company this size but definitely making moves to adopt the right processes(in 12 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Great place to work if you're white"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Have good friends here, the product is good, and the customers are great.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist and account overload is real. Strategic messaging is usually better than actual strategic decisions. Frustrating working with slow teams that don't have enough members. Mostly privileged white people make up the sales and customer success teams. Disappointing to see this in 2020. They feel comfortable being insensitive in open floor plan office all the time. Have brought up to HR, nobody cared. With quarantine, haven't thought about it much... now there are discussions online about diversity that I want to join, but have been told not to engage by management. Did not need to be told, already know to not "break rank." Crazy defensive management responses to every negative review on here are basically how execs manage these discussions. Not well.

June 9, 2020Chief People and Culture Officer

I’m discouraged to hear about the experiences you’re describing, as they are contrary to Smartsheet policies and values. We are committed to making Smartsheet a diverse and inclusive organization, with an environment of belonging that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of team members. We know there are areas where we can — and will — do better, as stated in the below statement by our CEO Mark Mader and voiced in our employee communications and diversity engagement happening across our company. Please reach out to me directly if you’d like to discuss. You can also opt to provide feedback anonymously through our employee feedback form. - Kara Hamilton https://www.smartsheet.com/content-center/executive-center/leadership/statement-smartsheet-president-and-ceo-mark-mader

2. COVID-19

"Lots of attrition"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time

Pros

Mostly able to still work during COVID-19

Cons

There's been a lot of attrition in the development space. People aren't feeling motivated, and what was once one of the most amazing places to work has become a place where people are frustrated and leaving. The QA department was dissolved (everyone's a coder and a tester now!), and people stepping up and making meaningful contributions as people leave aren't rewarded.

June 17, 2020VP of People & Culture

When team members depart, who you work with day-to-day, it can feel like there is high turnover. However, our employee attrition rates have been on a notable decline from last year to this year — across the company and within our engineering department. Additionally, the employee-wide engagement survey conducted this March indicates a positively engaged workforce with top scores in the areas of work/life blend, management, diversity & belonging, and teamwork & ownership. As you stated, there has been restructuring in the engineering department to better meet the needs of our business and customers. Support is being provided to team members formerly in QA to help navigate the shift away from manual testing. Feel free to ping me if you’d like to share further. - Megan Hanson, VP of People

3. COVID-19

"Incredible company"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smartsheet truly cares about their employees and their customers, and their response to COVID proves it over and over again. The culture is amazing - everyone is genuinely positive, supportive and enthusiastic. People love their jobs, believe in the products and in their leadership. The benefits are also incredible.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of anything.

Continue reading

"Sales management has less than 2 years of sales experience!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good co-workers, good location in Bellevue, WA

Cons

You have the top sales management that doesn't know the first thing about how to sell to a customer or any company. How they were able to get in these positions is a good questions to ask. Things change on a daily basis, they come up with a new idea that has already been tried before with no results.

Continue reading
  5. "Great company, great values, amazing people!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Thorough on-boarding experience - Strong internal support network and documented work processes - Exemplify core values - Transparent management

Cons

- Job description could have used some work - not totally match job nuances since so many departments exist and overlap - Really rigorous on-boarding process

"One year experience"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, good senior management, great bonus!! Supportive company, especially during tough times. Senior leadership for the department has made great change and looking forward to the future! Appreciative of the director and senior managers thinking of fun and creative ways to keep the team morale high.

Cons

Work from home privileges rescinded.

March 31, 2020Chief People & Culture Officer

I’m so glad to hear that you’re feeling supported during this difficult time. As I’ve shared with our team, the empathy, support, and drive I’ve seen over the last few weeks has made me so proud. Regarding your comment on “work from home privileges being rescinded,” it’s my understanding that you’re referring to standard operations vs. our current response to COVID-19 (all Smartsheet offices are currently closed and all work streams have been moved to work from home). You can expect to hear more about flexible work. If we can make remote work successful with all of these extra pressures, we can certainly make it work even better in the future! -- Kara Hamilton, Chief People & Culture Officer

"Leadership has it right!"

Current Employee - Customer Technical Support in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ever since I started, the customer experience has been the focus. All of leadership is on the same page, and are able to guide us in the same direction. The support we receive from all levels makes all the difference. Leadership pays attention to who works hard, and ensures the customer is getting the best experience they can and rewards their employees for going above and beyond. Often times the Senior Director will engage with us and provide us with how Smartsheet is working to improve the customer experience. I've never experienced the amount of investment leadership puts into their team, with a merit increase, bonus, and stock options it's hard to not to want to come to work everyday.

Cons

Bring NYE back as a holiday.

8. COVID-19

"Great team atmosphere"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for less than a year

Pros

- My team has put in the extra effort to get to know me and help me get up to speed despite onboarding a week before COVID-19 took us to work from home. - Everyone wants to help you succeed. - Top level leadership still wants to meet all the new hires despite being such a large company. They set aside time in their busy schedules to meet new hires and express their vision for Smartsheet.

Cons

- Smartsheet doesn't pay for cell phone plans for employees that are required to travel for work. - Smartsheet isn't starting their 401k matching program until April 2020. I'm not sure why they didn't have one before.

9. "great"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, hypergrowth, fantastic leadership

Cons

growth can create uncertainty, but that's also an opportunity

"Great Company With Tons of Growth Potential"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Smartsheet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at the company is very customer focused and motivated to make an impact in the lives of our customers - something that is pretty rare around companies these days. Most people around the company are also eager to help colleagues grow and succeed, and with the rapid growth the company is having, there are many career advancement opportunities for top performers. Free snacks and transportation stipend are also big perks!

Cons

With the rapid growth at Smartsheet, there is room for process improvements throughout the company. Management could be more open to heeding feedback on these processes from employees that are doing the job that these processes are supposed to support. No 401k match at the moment is a disadvantage compared to other software companies around the area.

Found 187 reviews