Lambda Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

"I love this company!"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- extremely intelligent co-workers who care deeply about their work and our clients
    - large degree of autonomy in my role
    - approachable management
    - good / flexible hours
    - a sense of 'family' in the office :)

Cons

- loud office makes it difficult to have conference calls sometimes

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I've been so happy here for the past 2.5 years.

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thanks so much for writing a review! We are glad to have you as part of the Lambda family!

"All things considered, a good experience, with some feedback."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Employees are fun, considerate people!
    + CEO is friendly, open and genuinely tries to have good values.
    + Flexible hours, work at home.
    + Cheese and wine on Fridays is a fabulous idea!
    + True open source company!
    + Feels like fulfilling work because it is Education and Training software. Moodle!
    + Strong mission on paper.
    + CTO not afraid of trying out new technologies.

Cons

- Most employees do not feel comfortable speaking their mind even if the CEO encourages it. Blank smiles aren't always honest. (There's a fear that constructive opinions may ruin your professional life.) Issues tend to get really bad before they change.
    - The company runs faaar too lean at times, leading to situations where a bit of money is saved short term, but has a huge actual cost and negative impact in the long run.
    - Uncomfortable equipment for most employees such as toiletries, chairs, keyboards. It's bad when your butt is bleeding for half the day because of rough toiletpaper. This is not professional.
    - Work activities planned outside of work hours. ):
    - Salary is mediocre or low. Salary raises do not seem to naturally happen within the first 2 years no matter your performance.
    - Used to have big issues with cost shifting onto employees. This has been drastically improved but still happens from time to time.

Advice to Management

1. I would be happy to work with any of my former colleagues in the future. They are all fantastic.

2. The company runs so lean that I feel it causes deep long term damage.

3. Anonymous suggestion box was a good move towards solving the small issues. Needs to actually be fully anonymous and respected or people will not use it.

Personally, as a developer, it felt like I had one hand tied behind my back most days. I take pride in having strong development and design skills, but I felt as if I were truly wasting my talent most days on low-ROI tasks such as maintenance and sales, rather than important new features, business innovations, and true next level user experiences.

I still love the idea of building the best learning software in the world-- but I also felt far too swamped with unimportant maintenance to use my talents effectively.

Outsourcing will always make true innovations immensely more difficult and time consuming, likely impossible to a polished professional level. Sales and support will have to work even harder moving into the future to make up for these shortcomings.

"Be warned...this is a very uncomfortable work environment."

I worked at Lambda Solutions full-time

Pros

- There are some good, nice people who currently work there.

Cons

- Management/Senior Management openly speak in Hebrew about employees (you can hear them use people’s names), with the employees sitting around. This is considered “normal” and was openly stated that they use Hebrew to discuss employees when they don’t want others to understand them.
    - Conversations in a different language happen multiple times a day between management in the open workspace environment.
    - CEO addressed this in a staff meeting but it continued that very same day and never slowed down, let alone stop.
    - They may claim to value their employees, but at the end of the day you are treated as a number on a spreadsheet.
    - Trying to get money-owed from the company was met with great resistance, with communication often going unanswered.
    - They will pay you the bare legal minimum of what is owed.
    - In a closed-door room, a Senior Manager requested that I write a positive review online about the company due to an influx of negative reviews.
    - Flexible hours are not true: I asked to adjust my hours on one or two days a week for a short period for a personal matter and was told “do not make this a habit” after just 2 of these days.
    - Management style I experienced was very much “do what I say, not what I do.”
    o Example above of inflexible work hours – management took advantage and regularly showed up late for short days, yet I could have been on calls from early morning or late at night to support the company and no allowances were made for my core work hours, even outside of personal matters.
    - Nepotism is rife – totally understandable in a family run business, but I strongly feel that the senior manager lacks the qualifications and shows no signs of managerial training that should be required to oversee the departments.
    - High turnover and they do very little to nurture their own talent.
    - Loud arguments, and shouting, happened multiple times between senior management during my tenure.
    - Previous negative reviews posted on Glassdoor speak a lot of truth.

Advice to Management

- Make an immediate change that no longer allows managers to speak to one another in a different language at work. It is incredibly unprofessional. Take that one step.

"Great company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Software Specialist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful culture, very positive and supportive environment, I enjoy every minute of being part of this family.

Cons

The CEO is smart, welcoming and accommodating, she is definitely not one of those that work behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

Just stay as you are, we love you :>

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for the kind review! We agree we have something special here.

"An inclusive Environment"

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The CEO is a woman. Sexism doesn't work here!
    - Multi-national (at least 7 nationalities are represented) - who knows maybe more will be added. If you are looking for a quintessentially Canadian example of multi-cultural and if you are open to learning about other cultures, look no further.
    - Dog friendly (so far, at least 4 dogs visit frequently)
    - Child friendly (we sometimes have child care challenges - Lambda understands)
    - Beer/Wine Fridays
    - Family-like camaraderie; people here are like family. So, if you do not like family...
    - Loud with laughter
    - Open Door Management policy
    - Organic coffee
    - Birthday Cheesecake
    - Excellent location in Gastown especially if you are a foodie
    - Departments/business units are only beginning to form - this is an excellent opportunity if you want to define your own job description
    - No micro-managers here - project "ownership" is encouraged
    - Close to skytrain (Stadium & Waterfront)
    - Accepts the challenges of family life

Cons

- Open floorplan - can get noisy
    - People bring Timbits, cookies, chocolates or candy often so not easy when you are on a diet

Advice to Management

- Don't be discouraged and stay the course. You are not the only company with disgruntled former employees
    - You can't satisfy everyone. There is nothing wrong in wanting to find people who "fit" the corporate culture - they are also looking for the same
    - Continue to be inclusive with your staff and listen to what they say

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you! We will try to keep the TimBits under control :)

"Let me tell you the truth!"

Current Employee - Partner Channel Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Partner Channel Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am shocked by the previous reviews Lambda received, and want to share my story and point of view.

Lambda Solutions has been my second home for the past 4 years. I started as a sales executive. During my learning process, everyone was so nice, accommodating and willing to answer all my questions, including the CEO. After slightly more than a year, I was promoted to Customer Success Manager role, that was created especially for me, as my talent was recognized and it was suggested by the management. I couldn't be happier - it was a position that was tailored to all my skills!

Year and a half later, my manager felt that I can advance more and lead our partnerships channel, and offered me to be a Partner Channel Manager. It took me some time to agree, as I didn't believe I will manage. With endless encouragement from everyone in the company, I took the offer and never looked back! There hasn't been one employee that wasn't promoted in Lambda based on their skill set and talent.

Yes, Lambda is a family business and every employee that is joining us becomes one of our extended family. And as in every family, we have openness, laughter, sometimes disagreements, inner jokes, our own jargon and a lot of appreciation and respect. And believe it or not, we are all friends, and truly care for each other. We eat lunch together, have beer, wine and snacks on Fridays, we celebrate everyone's birthdays and have parties.

Each and every person in Lambda is important, valuable, talented, has sense of humor, friendly and have incredible work ethics.

Cons

I appreciate that a less formal environment may not be everyone's cup of tea, but some look exactly for this kind of young, energetic, and easy going atmosphere.

Advice to Management

I hope Lambda will never change its unique and amazing culture.

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! We appreciate it!

7. "A place for innovators"

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time

Pros

Pros

The culture is what makes Lambda Solutions so great! Being surrounded by incredibly intelligent people who are so down to Earth at the same time!
    Our mantra: We Win as a Village!

Cons

It's a fast-paced environment, so if you're not in tune to what's going on around you, it can be easy to fall behind - more of a challenge than a con.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you! We do indeed win as a village :)

"Innovation is the key to success"

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I always feel like my voice can be heard, even when there are changes taking place. I can always go to my direct manager and ask questions or voice concerns- an open door policy is clearly displayed. At monthly meetings there is a bit of a round robin and employees from every department can speak up and generate ideas.
    cheesecakes
    beer... enough said!

Cons

since the company is expanding we need a better definition of roles, but growing pains effect this for sure.

Advice to Management

keep up the open doors!

16 Aug, 2018 – HR Coordinator

Thank you. Your voice should indeed be heard here. The door is open to Management and the CEO if you ever need it :)

"Don't work here"

I have been working at Lambda Solutions full-time

Pros

Good pit stop if you need experience, but don't get comfortable.

Cons

- Market themselves as a "start-up", but have been around for 15+ years.
    - No professionalism. A family run business, so loud family fights can be heard through the whole entire office. Fights aren't in English, but employees names can be heard through the conversation, so it is always clear who is being talked about. Causes major tension.
    - Rude, racially insensitive, sexist comments made frequently
    - There is so much nepotism here. Managerial and director positions are awarded based on familial connections to ownership, rather than experience, skill, or knowledge. It doesn't seem to matter what your qualifications are or how well equipped you are for your job, as long as you're family or close friend.
    - Super cliquey environment. Same group of people are always left out of social activities.
    - You will be paid the absolute bare minimum unless you call them out for underpaying you. So speak up.

I'd like to note that we are frequently asked to write positive Glassdoor reviews because of all the bad reviews they are getting. My guess is that this is why there has been an influx of overly positive reviews recently.

Advice to Management

Enforce some kind of code of conduct
    Hire people for their qualifications, not just on how well they fit your culture

8 Feb, 2018

Lambda Solutions is a pioneer. We have been around for 15+ years; we are a deeply rooted, strong, established company in Canada. We are also constantly striving to evolve and reach for greater... More

"Skip this "start up", no future. No growth"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Lambda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're brand new to the industry (right out of school), you can get some experience.

Cons

- Their business model is based on an open-source product (e.g. free), so keep that in mind
    - unless you are directly related to the CEO, you will never have a career path
    - culture is opposite of transparent; extremely secretive about business strategy even with long time employees
    - been around for many years, and still relying on very small investors (that should be a signal)

Advice to Management

Try hiring from outside the family.