Info-Tech Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

Joel McLean

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working hard is certainly part of the culture and, at times, can cause difficulty with work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• This leads to a lot of changes in upper management (in 8 reviews)

"In hindsight"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

There are people in the company who generally care, the company is mostly stable, and the culture isn't too bad if you lean toward extrovert.

Cons

I was in the IT department, and while there I was surrounded by a bunch of genuinely great people. It was like a culture unto itself, separate from the rest of the company.

And yet I always got the sense that the executive of the company couldn't be trusted to treat us in good faith. Mostly, developer salaries were minimised, and the programming team relied heavily on interns to do grunt work at a low cost.

In retrospect, I drank the kool-aid at the time, thinking that I was experiencing a genuinely positive culture. And yet now, with a few more companies under my belt, I recognise that the sense of 'family' that the company tries to promote is more a facade to build loyalty in lieu of real, hard benefits like competitive salaries.

Luckily, I was one of the more skilled developers who had the means to move onward and upwards. And as I did and experienced more robust cultures, I was able to see the reality of Info-Tech.

This might sound bad at face, but you have to recognise that pretty much all companies are trash fires to some respect. You can jump ship to another and still find the same problems elsewhere, just human nature.

And yet a part of me still loved my time there, wouldn't mind going back some day. Since they're becoming a major player in London (and more recently Toronto) I can only hope that over the years they become a more socially responsible company with effective leadership, and a competitive benefits package

"Engaged not jaded"

Current Employee - Director, Engagement Management in London, ON
    Current Employee - Director, Engagement Management in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful and generous company to work for. Holidays paid for..incentives.. Big prizes..trips..gifts..
    If you work hard and show initiative you will reap the rewards. I've been here well over a decade and have seen this company grow. We all have ups and downs but we roll with it. For the entitled crew of millenials coming and going please go. Find another company and see how it works out for you. You will soon see that all companies have ups and downs but not all will give you the perks you get from here.

Cons

You need to work hard to win. Put the effort in and you will see the rewards.

Advice to Management

Focus on your research team. Show them more love and they will stay.

"Good place to start"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

- Really good place to start your career
    - Company culture is great, there are always fun activities happening
    - Room to move around the company in a department that fits you

Cons

- Work is tough
    - Very unorganized

"Slackers need not apply"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great company with lots of room for growth.
    -Challenging work that constantly tests your abilities and forces you out of your comfort zone.
    -Hard workers get rewarded
    -Managers really care about their people's happiness and development, (unlike what other reviews say)
    -Great approachable owner
    -great team spirit on good days
    -You get out what you put in.
    -Fast paced agile environment (can be a con for people who don't like change)
    -Very smart coworkers
    -decent perks

Cons

-Understaffed.
    -Sometimes can get very stressful.
    -Steep learning curve
    -Older employees are jaded and constantly bring up old history. They need to move on or move out
    -Some unmotivated, uneducated employees have egos, full of gossip, and take things too personally. Their laziness ruins it for the group.
    -Work for an owner and not a company. He means well, but the consequences of decisions aren't fully thought out
    -too many complainers and not enough problem solvers
    -favoritism exists
    -goals can be unrealistic
    -weak benefits
    -salary is average

Advice to Management

Things are really feeling better with most of the sour people gone. The new leadership is doing good things and really trying hard to right the past wrongs.

-throw out all the lazy unmotivated people
    -Avoid micromanagement at all costs
    -Take care of the people who care about the success of the company. You need them when the going gets tough
    -Keep the middle managers happy. (they're the only ones keeping your organization together, if they leave you'll be crippled)
    -listen to the smart people who have ideas.

6. "Amazing Culture"

Former Employee - Data Coordinator in London, ON
    Former Employee - Data Coordinator in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and amazing people to work with. Joel treats everyone with respect and is the most fair and humbling person you will ever work for.

Cons

The only downside would be some of the drama that co-workers get in to and the gossip around the office.

Advice to Management

None

"Laid back environment but low salary and little room for advancement"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Laidback environment
    - Open to new ideas
    - Chance to try many new things when opportunity is there

Cons

- Low salary
    - Little room for advancement unless you’re friends with certain people
    - Lack of transparency and follow through (especially regarding salary)
    - Can feel stagnant
    - Lack of diversity in senior/ executive management positions

Advice to Management

- Pay your employees better
    - Outline course of advancement
    - Open up opportunities for those who demonstrate skill and talent (and not just people who are buddies)
    - Diversify your staff at all levels

"I work hard at Info-Tech and I am not rewarded"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

More of an opportunity for the company, but the rate at which people can find other work is slower than it needs to be to sink Info-Tech from a talent standpoint.

Cons

This whole notion of "work hard and you'll be rewarded" is nonsense. The only people that are adequately awarded are those that are close to the founder of the company, and sure he may choose to reward those he perceives as hard workers more than those he perceives as not hard workers, but you must be in the club to even qualify.

The company has 430 employees. One person cannot possibly understand the effort and value each person drives in the organization, especially since we do absolutely zero reporting. Power is centralized with the founder (he still oversees every raise), how is it possible that everyone who works hard is rewarded when only one person is in control of those rewards? It's not possible is the answer, and it doesn't happen. Don't fool yourself into believing otherwise.

Advice to Management

Don't even try to implement the EA program without paying research a renewal incentive. It's not going to work.

"Better direction with Employee Roles"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible Hours / Unlimited vacation
    -Dynamic Work Environment
    -Sometimes approachable Managers
    -Great office

Cons

My issue with why I decided to move on from the company is being someone who is a 'unicorn', I was expecting a faster career advancement when I first started at the company in July 2016 (After moving away from a role where I was taking on multiple hats). On my first month, I was not given a proper project to work on which continued on throughout 10 months of my employment. My advice is never let a new employee be waiting for projects since it kills the momentum and you will find an employee that really no longer longs to give it 100%. The only good thing about leaving was that I was able to find an opportunity with another company that although isn't as cultural as Info-Tech, was able to give us what I was looking for, in terms of my career goals.

I still enjoyed what I learned from Info-Tech but please don't mass hire when there is not a lot of work willing to be handed down evenly amongst department members.

I do notice that at times, Seniors tend to get the better projects and then at times, unless you haven't started at the company in a Senior role (with "unicorn" capabilities), you will be working on a lot of meaningless tasks or "projects".

Advice to Management

- The Managers but please make sure not to maintain momentum for new employees from start date and so on and so forth.

"Call Center"

Current Employee - Commercial Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many - sone nice people but everyone is right out of school.

Cons

There’s a reason they hire people out of school- so you can’t compare this hell to anything else. Turnover is very high. They try to give you a fancy title but it’s an inside sales job - call centre. Burnout is high and you find out soon enough that only people who are friends of the owner or manager get fed the good leads.

Advice to Management

Stop writing your own reviews in order to boost your rating. The gig is up - everyone knows how terrible a work environment this is. The micromanagement is beyond what is normal in a sales environment. The truth is in all the other reviews. You cN try to mKe it less obvious that you are writing the reviews.

"Every day we're strugglin'"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

They hire university graduates with little to no experience, so if you can't find work, this is an option considering you interview well.

You get paid every two weeks, 10 days for holidays a year and some benefits.

Cons

Massive turnover rate, people get fired, laid off and quit all the time. It appears to happen on almost a daily basis. This is a huge red flag that something internally isn't working. The old CEO left without any warning and they never explained why.

They constantly change procedure. They will introduce something new, it fails and they scrap it, people are laid off. This leads to a lot of changes in upper management. If you like consistency and an organized well developed environment, move along because the panic switch is always on.

Advice to Management

Nothing.