Info-Tech Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Bohannon

Pros
  • Innovative, creative lots of opportunity to work on new and challenging projects (in 5 reviews)

• This place is filled with so many great people that will be willing to support your thoughts and feelings (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management have big egos and make decisions without looking at the facts (in 7 reviews)

• It takes more time for sales people to get going now than it used to (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

- Excellent people that come from many different places
    - Great culture, lots of opportunity for fun
    - Interesting work

Cons

- Fast moving pace - the work can be challenging and require a deep knowledge
    - Smart people with high expectations, if you are average then this place wouldn't be a good fit

Advice to Management

Keep on developing the company, tightening processes will only help, keep engaging the employees of the company.

"There certainly are worse places."

Current Employee - Developer in London, ON
    Current Employee - Developer in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very dynamic environment, great people. Very interesting work, pushing many limits of what can be done. Exposure to many different technologies. Still a "smaller" company that is building a solid foundation to be a large contender in the industry.

Cons

Things do change quite quickly, so if you have a tough time adapting to this, then this probably isn't the place for you.

"There is a reason why Info-Tech is what it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product, the culture, the history, the future.
    Info-Tech is awesome, what else can I say? our clients,our network, the sales team, the incentives and even the buildings which house our offices.
    The organization as a whole is incredible. Personally, I didn't enter this position right out of university but rather joined the company after years of dusty, dangerous and dirty construction jobs where I had braved a variety of elements. This place is a dream.
    Although there is a lot of information to take in given the nature of any role at Info-Tech, there is so little to actually complain about.
    This company treats their staff amazing and I am confident that jaded employees would realize this immediately upon finding new employment elsewhere.
    If someone feels so strongly against this environment/organization....why continue to work here? ...... you have the power to change your own situation, if you do have an issue, speak up before it festers. This place is filled with so many great people that will be willing to support your thoughts and feelings. I have made several friends here that will be in my life forever....so there.

Cons

Sometimes we run out of fresh fruit that is provided for us twice a week.
    One time my computer was being slow....but it was because I had too many tabs open.
    Sometimes people dress casually and it's not even Friday........

Advice to Management

As a team member who has had his fair share of disputes with Management,,,,my advice would be to do what you are doing, I am not a manager and i do not know what your job entails, i imagine it's tough.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, ON
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun environment. Fast paced and always growing. Great perks and family like. I've worked here for 10 years and love my job.

Cons

It is ever changing and evolving. Very fast paced and challenges you to work harder with great rewards. You need to roll with changes as you will see the growth in the end. You need to have a good work ethic to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to involve your sales groups with the changes and include us in the direction we're heading. Continue to hire more resources to meet our growing demands.

"fast paced culture with a great product"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Has an incredible benefits package for entry level staff compared to other places I have worked. The product is world class and seems to have a high acceptance rate by consumers once they realize what they have access to. The product is continually refreshed and new products are added at a good rate. The people are friendly and managers are quick to help when you ask. Company culture is awesome.

Cons

The rate of change in the company sometimes seems frantic. Maybe that is just the condition of the IT market in general but it would be nice to continue in one direction for a while.
    The product learning curve is steep.

Advice to Management

Obviously the company has been crazy successful for many years so its hard for me to give meaningful advice but it would be slow down or regulate the rate of change for staff, be careful not to micro-manage people's time and keep creating new products.

"Fast changing, growing company with great people."

Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, ON
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ITRG has evolved so much over the time I've been here that it's unrecognizable as a firm from when I started. The product has gone from a run of the mill, update service to a leading research provider in the industry. The company does a great job of reinvesting in itself and continuing to recruit top notch analysts to support the sales org.

As a sales person it's easy to stay interested in the work thanks to the customers we get to work with. On any given day I can be speaking to C-Level execs from a Fortune 100 company, government agency or a newly promoted CIO trying to figure things out. It's engaging work that always tests what we can deliver on as a firm.

The people I work with are a lot of fun. Mixed crowd of leading professionals and very bright, fresh out of school keeners. I enjoy coming to work and working with the folks I spend time with.

Compensation has improved dramatically for management in the last 3 years. The opportunity to move from sales into management and make a good living are there.

Cons

It takes more time for sales people to get going now than it used to. The product is more complex and the customers are better educated about the offerings. Sales cycles have gone from 1 week turn around to 2-3 mos conversations. Expectations for new sales employees are sometimes too high for their first 6 mos.

It is a privately owned company. Ownership options aren't there right now.

Advice to Management

Stick to it. We've come a long way and I believe we're on the right path. Keep investing in the research team as our customers love the work they do and we need more of it!

"Trump-Brand Leadership... without the Brand..... and also without the Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Cool offices
    - Fun employee-run events
    - Good hiring practices (you'll work WITH smart, reasonable people)
    - Who you'll work FOR though? Hmm.......

Cons

Info-Tech preaches to its clients that they need to do three things: follow best practices, be data-driven, and be innovative. Sadly Info-Tech does none of these three things itself.

Info-Tech is a top-down dictatorship led by its founder, a sleep-deprived wacko who routinely takes "hangover days". When he makes it into the office, he micromanages anyone and everyone who will give him the time of day. He is highly excitable, and is known to have a boiling temper.

Over the last 6 months, he has single handedly driven a stake through the heart of the acquire sales team. New revenue is shrinking for the first time in the firm's history. People wonder why. The answer is obvious. The founder doesn't know how to sell a product, and he's forcing the entire sales team to adhere to a bizarre process that he dreamed up and then labeled as "best practice". He thinks that calling low-level managers 150+ times a day is how you sell a product aimed at CIO's and directors.

Here's where it gets interesting.

The founder makes no attempt whatsoever to understand what makes sales reps successful by looking at the example led by his good sales reps. Instead he relies on his own VERY questionable assumptions which he presumably overheard at a bar, or maybe he read it in a fortune cookie... or a blog from 2003. It won't be long before the poor sales execs realize the jig is up and leave. Then we'll REALLY be in trouble.

Innovation is mentioned in every piece of marketing material and sales deck. However, the company itself is run in a time machine. Technical innovations are shunned. Sales techniques that worked in the 90s are still believed to be cutting edge. The only marketing the company does is email blasts. The website is a mess. The phone system is made by Nortel... you can't make this stuff up.

Advice to Management

Despite its shortcomings there is potential for a quick turnaround. The product itself is actually fantastic.

The founder should reflect on the good fortune he has to be surrounded by the smart people he hasn't scared away yet. Let them do their jobs or they'll leave, and then you'll be on a sinking ship with only the dead weight.

Info-Tech Research Group Response

3 Mar, 2017 – Founder

Well they always say the proof is in the pudding & I'm confident that our Acquire team will continue to have success. I'm sorry that I most certainly have failed to engage you effectively. I'm glad ... More

"Director of Member Services"

Pros

Great Engage team, every other department seems to be in shambles.

Cons

The new CEO's abilities are questionable. Hire someone local

10. "IT Consulting Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Consulting Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - IT Consulting Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with lots of room to grow and develop in your chosen field.

Cons

None that I can remember

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible for family stuff and appointments
    Great people

Cons

Long workday
    Lack of communication within and among departments