Info-Tech Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Joel McLean

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company does a great job of protecting a work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Very dynamic environment, great people" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unrealistic time frames, zero work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "Upper management were all hired university friends of the CEO" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, regardless of your role!

Cons

Obviously nothing is perfect, we all have good days and bad. I would recommend this organization (and have) to anyone!

"It is what you make it"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management doesn't have a clue and looks for people that are greedy and eager to grow.

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue and is poor at retaining staff or investing in employees.

Advice to Management

Realize you have a maturing company and revisit how you grow your business internally.

3. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Great office environment, plenty of growth and opportunities, management is committed to developing employees

Cons

Pretty average compensation, a lot of development and performance management is not mandated by the organization and is left up to individual managers which can lead to an uneven experience.

Advice to Management

Innovate in all aspects of the business, not just product offerings.

"I felt like I was working paycheck to paycheck..."

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free Fruit
    - Opportunity to travel to many interesting locations (dependant on which department you work in - purely based on luck)
    - Presentation/consulting opportunities you would not get elsewhere

Cons

- Incredibly high attrition rate. Leads to a toxic environment
    - Management hates being questioned. My colleagues and I were reprimanded for questioning how work was done.
    - Management is very set in their ways - do not expect your ideas to be implemented (or expect push-back)
    - Overall very boring and repetitive work.
    - There is limited accountability amongst seniors. They will say what you want to hear and never follow through on their promises.

Advice to Management

1. Listen to your employees (and actually do something about it).
    2. Stop pointing the finger at others and look at yourselves (i.e. the high attrition rate)
    3. Make research more enjoyable - it should not be secondary to sales when it is the primary product that the organization sells.

5. "Dyanmic company"

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Info-Tech is a dynamic, charged and energetic place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for those who are passionate about their career, want to work hard, and care about the people they work with.

Cons

Some of its pros are also its cons: it is not a place for those who want to do the same thing day in and day out!

6. "Senior Consulting Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people and an immense learning opportunity!

Cons

The same as in every organization. Not everything is perfect, but the work is incredibly engaging and the people are fun to work with. What more can you ask for especially when you're starting your career?

Advice to Management

Encourage more initiative and creativity.

"Great learning opportunity for new grads, but be prepared to watch a lot of bad decisions happen"

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

-The people and expertise you work around are second to none
    -Lots of opportunities to learn in a practical setting if you apply yourself to client work
    -Secure employment for grads who are interested in the consulting fields
    -Depending on your team, you'll have opportunities to be innovative and try new things

Cons

-Mismanagement of operations staff results in operational work getting dumped on research/stuff falling through the cracks
    -It's easy to get a random non-research project dumped on you just because the executive leadership wants something done, even if it doesn't fit into any kind of strategy
    -The approach to change management is a lot like playing roulette: take a random change the CEO wants and "Put the house on red."
    -Like I mentioned, "depending on your team..." the environment in the organization can be quite toxic in certain areas (looking at the party culture, environment for women, and micromanagement)

Advice to Management

Executive team:
    - Commit to your research department. Don't treat them like workhorses. They're your entire delivery staff - their relationships with clients are your value proposition. If you lose them, you're nothing.
    -Value operational work. Cutting almost all of our operations department and dumping it on random "underutilized" pockets of employees has created severe delivery issues, not to mention unnecessary headaches.
    -You have a great product. Invest in it - don't go off creating random products with questionable value-added when you have a research department "driving extraordinary value" quite literally on a day-to-day basis.

"Worst Place To Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some bright coworkers and convenient office location

Cons

Lack of direction, career advancement, horrible leadership, etc.

"Cool building to visit, not to work in"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    High level client exposure at a young age
    Great people
    Ministry of fun events
    Free fruit
    Hard to get fired from research
    Nice launch pad out of school

Cons

Compensation is not competitive for Toronto market
    Didn't feel like I was developing
    No windows
    Don't mistakes the "perks" (ping pong table, golf sim) as culture
    Sales is favoured over research

Advice to Management

Morale was low when I left, my feedback was never listened to - Fix that

"An old adage comes to mind - it’s like watching a slow train wreck - only now you are working in that very train wreck."

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. There were some benefits years ago, but those are all gone now. Occasionally, they’ll get your drunk to remind you how good of an employer they are.

They are really good at one thing - making it seem they are a normal, functioning company.

Cons

It’s such a disaster. They constantly violate the Employment Standards Act. An ex colleague I worked with said he worked an additional 1000 hours of unpaid overtime, I’ve never calculated my unpaid time but for most, I would imagine it’s close to that. They hide behind this obscure exception in the ESA for IT workers except that most of the employees are not IT workers, but consultants. Still, no ex employee, including myself, has had the gumption to file a class action lawsuit. I really hope someone does, as these gomers have stolen millions from their employees in the form of lost wages.

The senior management team has absolutely no scruples or ethics of any kind. The CEO has fired anyone with a dissenting opinion of any kind and has surrounded himself with “yes” people. They can’t meet a deadline if their life depended on it. The CEO is the worst leader I have ever seen and isn’t even smart. He just spews out nonsense ideas and his blind army of nitwits work 80 hours a week trying to develop his terribly bad ideas.

There are about 500 other cons, but I simply do not want to spend the time writing about them. Honestly, if you are considering a job here, for the love of God, don’t do it. This company shouldn’t even be functioning except for the few good people working here and who work hard at their jobs to keep this sinking ship afloat.

Advice to Management

Joel, sell the company immediately. You don’t deserve to have many of these people working for you. Go back to business school and get the education you desperately need. A small stint at the Betty Ford Clinic wouldn’t hurt either.