Info-Tech Research Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Scott Bohannon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company does a great job of protecting a work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Innovative, creative lots of opportunity to work on new and challenging projects (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Quite of a bit of unethical work practices that happens in the upper management or culture overall (in 8 reviews)

• It takes more time for sales people to get going now than it used to (in 7 reviews)

"Its sad to see that there are a couple of unhappy campers among us"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several.......Take a tour through one of our offices or speak to one of our 'average' employees and you will see that a couple of bad apples do not spoil an entire firm.
    Another really good thing about working here is that I have never been in danger, meaning there are few physical hazards and every location is infact climate controlled.
    I've never had to perform first aid nor have I witnessed any of my colleague suffer from frostbite or heatstroke from this particular work environment....life is good.

Cons

-Knowing that there are some unhappy people still working here for whatever reason (based on glassdoor reviews).
    -My ex girlfriend clearly doesn't want me back, but it has nothing to do with Info-Tech.
    -Working with so many people that are super geniuses can be intimidating (I nod a lot as in ''oh right, that makes sense)

Advice to Management

Please let me do an hour training session for the entire team some time.....okay fine, half hour.

"It used to be great"

Pros

Decent Salary, opportunities to advance, lots of incentives

Cons

Been there a long time and changes to the commission and bonus structure has left me earning much less. Like 20K less. We're losing analysts, support staff, and account managers quicker than ever. The rate of change is overwhelming and training is chaotic at best. Working harder for less is a terrible feeling.

I used to love this place, used to look forward to the work day.

Now it just causes stress.

Advice to Management

Fix your commission structure and make bonuses attainable. Roll out new product at the beginning of the fiscal year instead of late in the year when everything is a scramble.

"Worst work experience of my life, not the worst company out there though"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool environment , young energetic and smart people. Good sales experience for young / first sales job. You will deal with IT subjects and some of your customers will be subject matter experts but you do not need to have any knowledge or expertise. Just read a script, small talk, make lots of dials and some will buy , specially if they have the budget and need to spend it quickly otherwise they will loose it the next year. There are such opportunities out there and you will find them if keep on dialing, dialing, dialing...uff I'm tired already, Some of the tools and templates are useful.

Cons

Glorified telemarketing / cold calling position. It did not get any easier with time (as most positions should once you get the hang of it), it gets more difficult each day. Revolving door. Stressed out sales team. Micromanagement, call centre environment. If could be a fit if you have the energy and no previous experience. In all my jobs, it takes some time to adjust, struggle a bit and it becomes easier with time. Not at this place. I lasted close to one year, should have stayed no more than 3 months. I take full responsibility for my personal hardship at this place but I can honestly say I was mislead by HR. The entire value and hype of IT research is, in itself, misleading. "Sales people" at ITRG have no idea and fortunately for them, do not read the research they sell, even if they read, could not value it. I had 8 years of experience in Telecom when I was hired. One day I decided to read some of the Telecom research, (out of my own initiative, it was not part of the training, of course) and I almost fell off my chair, found very little value. Most Telecom professionals would not buy such product. OK, It could be a cool read if you have limited knowledge of Telecom, comparable to reading an entertaining article of Readers Digest. At the end, I personally learned from this experience to be very careful and ask lots of questions, do a better research on companies, follow my gut instinct. So, I ended up with something positive after all.

Advice to Management

Don't hire qualified / experienced business developers (specially those with a technical background) who are mislead by HR into a non existing business development position. You need to hire young blood who can be trained / brainwashed if you will, into thinking that's how business / sales is conducted. That's your model. There are legitimate sales positions out there, experienced employees eventually realise yours is not, and leave. Don't lie in the hiring process, you will save money and not waste people's time.

"It's okay for a bit"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good place to start a sales-oriented career - but know your worth and when to look elsewhere
    - If you're relatively smart, you'll be able to make "decent" cash at a young age
    - Managers aren't overly bright, so you can get away with gaming the metrics used to micromanage you

Cons

- Managers aren't overly bright
    - Limited career advancement (hope you enjoy moving laterally)
    - Compensation is severely out of touch with reality
    - A lot of hubris for a under performing company
    - Monotonous meetings with no takeaways
    - Develops products that have no value, and then pushes sales reps to sell half-baked ideas.
    - Overall, if you're based in Toronto you can find a better job. If you're in London.. well, consider moving to Toronto (if you look through the review, you can see people in London rate the company a lot higher. InfoTech's "perks" lose their glow in the big city)

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you're a big fish in a small pond.

"Don't get sucked in. This place is a prison."

Current Employee - Commercial Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for over 1 year and at first, I thought it was a fun environment which tried to feel like a Google environment.

Cons

This is no Google- this company treats you like a prisoner. You have to be at work for 8 am and stay till 5 pm but what makes it so terrible is the micro-management. It's one if the most demoralizing environments. I'm trying to get out of here and would caution anyone interested in this company to please think twice. The management team has only worked here and don't expect to get any training. No one knows how to sell. The only training I got was from sales reps who had previous experience but they left. You will make no money - only friends of management get fed the leads. The acquire team is managed by a bunch of bullies who like to embarrass and yell at their employees in public. I have seen this many times.

Advice to Management

Good luck - everyone hates the company and the reason our sales have declined is because of your culture. Alcohol and drugs don't solve problems.

"Info-Tech Ridiculous Group"

Current Employee - Associate Commercial Director in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Fruits, Open bar at parties/ events, Intelligent people (in research), fast paced environment, work/life balance is decent too.

Cons

Probably one of the most unstructured companies in Canada- You'll absolutely love it the first 2-3 months, the ping pong tables, the chill managers, the masonic temple , you'll think its the coolest job in Ontario. Then you'll realize the quotas, the daily dials requirements, the sketchy and toxic sales environment and "company culture" was all a hoax.

First and foremost Management in the Acquire division is absolutely poisonous. They all lie to their team members, they lead by fear and intimidation and give certain people different privileges. Managers talk about each other, the members of the team they should be leading and the founder of the company on a daily basis. The only way to succeed in a company like this is if you suck up to managers or if you're friends with the founder.

The Acquire division is basically run by a dictator, instead of enjoying his old age in a rocking chair in the mountains in Europe, he marches around the offices giving orders and creating ridiculous sales targets and cold calling goals. The managers are absolutely afraid to stand up to him and instead just mock and talk about him behind his back (which I don't blame them for). Basically, the Managers are all "YES MEN". It's promising now that the only strong leader is taking charge of Acquire, so great days should be ahead of us.

Employees quit/resign on a weekly basis and turnover in sales and in the company in general is extremely high. The CEO recently resigned because of misalignment with Senior Management and the mid managers were absolutely childish throughout that whole ordeal. They never gave him a chance to lead in my opinion. Management is out of touch with reality and challenged when it comes to communication and telling the truth.

I think the founder is extremely approachable, hard-working and I have a lot of respect for him. Obviously no company is perfect, but attention should be given to the poor leadership qualities of the managers and that'll be the turning point for basically everything after that.

Advice to Management

Restructure the management team, its killing the acquire division, decreasing morale and its truly a toxic work environment. Most of the managers intentions aren't for the success of their team, but to the success of their career. Boasting about closing deals for your team and what you did on client meetings for certain teammebrs your team and raving what they achieved because of you, isn't being a leader.

8. "Some good oppotunities"

Former Employee - Sales in London, ON
    Former Employee - Sales in London, ON

Pros

- great place to cut your teeth in sales
    - you get what you put into it

Cons

- can be long days
    - if you are not willing to work you will not enjoy the place

"Great place to start for a young professional"

Former Employee - Commercial Director in London, ON
    Former Employee - Commercial Director in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and fast paced environment for young staff and recent graduates. Company does a great job of protecting a work/life balance. Good place to learn sales with a big focus on training and development. Great people!

Cons

Change happens very often around the company and in the sales processes and the communication down to the commercial rep level isn't always the best so you have to be very quick to adjust and learn.

"Cool office, lots of fun, good for new graduates."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of fun events and perks for sales departments.
    -Heavy focus on a cool building. Gym, slide, concert hall, ping pong, etc...
    -Good people. Most are happy to be there.
    -Very social place. Good for new grads or people new to the city.

Cons

-Perks for other departments not as good.
    -Salaries are good for entry level, but not great for anything past that, unless in management or sales.
    -Unlimited vacation lures you in, but isn't approved often. If it is, it seems like a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the happiness of your employees and ask questions. Many people would stay if they felt more appreciated and respected. Instead, great people are quitting.

11. "Many improvements"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in London, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product offerings are extremely useful and getting better all the time. The people we work with are fantastic. When things get rough, the people come together to support each other and look for ways to get through it.

Cons

The pace is crazy - we're victims of our success. Lots of great ideas to engage clients, but they're often announced as ready to implement before the delivery team is ready. We tend to think we're still a small company, but we're not anymore, so there's room to improve tools and operations.

Advice to Management

The last few years have been challenging to say the least. Many of us have noticed some real efforts the last few months to improve communications and the mood from the top down has lightened considerably. Continue to encourage senior management to get input from their teams before making sweeping changes. Continue to innovate, but work on improving the process to move from innovation to production.