Info-Tech Research Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 3, 2020

3.3
Info-Tech Research Group Founder Joel McLean (no image)
Joel McLean
Pros
  • "Great people and great company culture(in 15 reviews)

• "The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research(in 10 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

5.0

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

I have found my time at Info-Tech to be rewarding and provide experience which I could not have received in such a short period at other organizations. Our founder is a visionary who enables those around him to make change which can be impactful to the company. Info-Tech does not sit on it’s laurels and constantly works to differentiate itself from its competitors. If you are interested in a career at a company which encourages you to strive for more, If you are a self-starter and motivated to make impactful change, then you should join our team.

Cons

Working hard is certainly part of the culture and, at times, can cause difficulty with work-life balance. Be aware of this and you should be able to manage it.

"good for fresh graduates and retired professionals"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance, and nice colleagues

Cons

top-down management, old school thinking

Info-Tech Research Group Response

July 31, 2020Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your experiences, working with Info-tech Research Group, we appreciate your insights and advice.

"Underpaid and Overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great office space, good company culture, good opportunities to learn, and get to work with smart people

Cons

- Everyone except maybe upper management is typically underpaid. Every attempt to bring this up for discussion is pushed under the rug. It's mentioned at every department meeting, but never properly addressed. - On top of this, you are expected to perform like a rock star, including working nights and weekends to deliver on projects. This kills your work life balance. - You are simultaneously expected to perform at a role higher than you to keep your job, and expected to out-perform this standard for a promotion.

Continue reading

"London Research is a great opportunity for new liberal arts grads"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Research specialists that are hired right out of university have great learning and development opportunities. The London research department culture is very collaborative. My colleagues are very smart. The culture is fun -- lots of philosophy jokes, word play, and technology discussions. The company is mostly respectful of the work-life balance, especially in London research. Management is starting to more seriously focus on leading and managing, and senior management is not micromanaging as much anymore.

Cons

The company is very sales-oriented. The Toronto office research department has been mismanaged resulting in extremely high turnover. Fast pace of change means that poorly performing initiatives are ended quickly, but also that good initiatives can also be ended. Many managers are not trained on how to manage effectively, but they are starting to train them on this. Compensation is good in London for new grads, but hasn't kept up with rises in costs of living (i.e. rent) in Toronto.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can truthfully say that like and respect everyone I work with. There's a great culture of getting things done and support throughout. In addition, there's a strong focus on work-life balance. You receive the benefits and support of a mid-size company without a lot of bureaucracy, and instead an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Some growing pains as the employee base expands and matures. There is a need for overall process improvement. A lot of innovation and changes, which can be both good and bad.

Info-Tech Research Group Response

August 22, 2018Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review and insightful comments; as we grow we have to delicately balance evolving our brand into a bigger organisation with wider reach, whilst maintaining who we are from a core values perspective. Our Senior leaders are cognoscente of this and our FY19 strategic planning includes employee focused processes and systems.

"Cool building to visit, not to work in"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance High level client exposure at a young age Great people Ministry of fun events Free fruit Hard to get fired from research Nice launch pad out of school

Cons

Compensation is not competitive for Toronto market Didn't feel like I was developing No windows Don't mistakes the "perks" (ping pong table, golf sim) as culture Sales is favoured over research

Continue reading

"How do they keep winning Employer of Choice Awards?"

1.0

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Got drunk for a year on their dime. Worked on the HR side McLean & Company in research

Cons

Horrible executive and management High turnover especially seasoned professionals who are true to research (19 of us seasoned pros hired in a three month span gone in less six months most dismissal without cause) Lack of ability to stick with one plan for nay period of time Poor correlation between job posting, job description and actual work ( I was not anticipating having to be a graphic designer) Unrealistic time frames, zero work life balance Individuals on IT and HR side who have never worked in either providing consulting Executive wanted a slant on certain research to suit their needs and you were in trouble if you didn't follow it. For a company providing best practices guidance they did not follow it Power struggles at executive level Salary plans and practices all over the map More of a continuation of Ivey school of Business classes and the snobbery that went with it.

"Info-Tech Ridiculous Group"

Current Employee - Associate Commercial Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Fruits, Open bar at parties/ events, Intelligent people (in research), fast paced environment, work/life balance is decent too.

Cons

Probably one of the most unstructured companies in Canada- You'll absolutely love it the first 2-3 months, the ping pong tables, the chill managers, the masonic temple , you'll think its the coolest job in Ontario. Then you'll realize the quotas, the daily dials requirements, the sketchy and toxic sales environment and "company culture" was all a hoax. First and foremost Management in the Acquire division is absolutely poisonous. They all lie to their team members, they lead by fear and intimidation and give certain people different privileges. Managers talk about each other, the members of the team they should be leading and the founder of the company on a daily basis. The only way to succeed in a company like this is if you suck up to managers or if you're friends with the founder. The Acquire division is basically run by a dictator, instead of enjoying his old age in a rocking chair in the mountains in Europe, he marches around the offices giving orders and creating ridiculous sales targets and cold calling goals. The managers are absolutely afraid to stand up to him and instead just mock and talk about him behind his back (which I don't blame them for). Basically, the Managers are all "YES MEN". It's promising now that the only strong leader is taking charge of Acquire, so great days should be ahead of us. Employees quit/resign on a weekly basis and turnover in sales and in the company in general is extremely high. The CEO recently resigned because of misalignment with Senior Management and the mid managers were absolutely childish throughout that whole ordeal. They never gave him a chance to lead in my opinion. Management is out of touch with reality and challenged when it comes to communication and telling the truth. I think the founder is extremely approachable, hard-working and I have a lot of respect for him. Obviously no company is perfect, but attention should be given to the poor leadership qualities of the managers and that'll be the turning point for basically everything after that.

Continue reading

"Great place to start for a young professional"

Former Employee - Commercial Director in London, ON

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun and fast paced environment for young staff and recent graduates. Company does a great job of protecting a work/life balance. Good place to learn sales with a big focus on training and development. Great people!

Cons

Change happens very often around the company and in the sales processes and the communication down to the commercial rep level isn't always the best so you have to be very quick to adjust and learn.

"analyst"

Consulting Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group for more than a year

Pros

great work life balance

Cons

not enough growth opportunity

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 English Reviews