Harris Computer Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Harris Computer Reviews

Updated 6 December, 2018

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "One of the reasons I feel Harris and its Business Units are great place to work is our values" (in 13 reviews)

• "There are opportunities for growth for anyone that wants to work hard with focus" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lots of opportunities across the Harris family of companies"

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harris is comprised of many vertical market software business units with common bonds in financial performance and corporate values. This provides employees with great opportunities to learn and grow within their own businesses and then to easily transport those skills to other Harris' business as opportunities come up. Harris is very good at supporting employees who see opportunity within other Harris businesses and helping them make that move.

Cons

Harris is not for everyone. Working at Harris requires energy, drive and a strong customer focus.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and empower employees to learn and grow across Harris businesses! Thanks!

"Amazing Opportunities"

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- growing company with exciting opportunities for individuals who wants to challenge themselves and grow their careers.
    - executive leadership group who invests heavily in their emerging leaders, providing many opportunities for their employees to step outside of their comfort zones.
    - autonomy to provide value: each business unit is allowed to operationally run on their own - which allows creativity for their staff to innovate.
    - very financially focused and disciplined, ensuring the the organization has longevity.
    - work life fit focused.

Cons

- Needs more headcount in their support groups to accommodate growth of the business.
    - compensation disparity between roles

15 Jun, 2018 – Director, Talent and Development

Thank you for the review. Understanding/Learning is one of our core values and we work diligently to provide real life development opportunities to our employees. Another value is empowerment at... More

3. "Good place to start to gain experience but low pay."

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Clerk in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Harris Computer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are quite good
    Vacation: 3 weeks after 1 year and 4 weeks after 3 full years working in their calendar year.
    5 Personal days, bereavement days available upon manager's discretion
    Work from home sometimes. (ask for laptop to make it easier to work from home)
    Yearly corporate day (get together with all corporate staff with activities and party).
    CFO (new guy who started in late 2016 seems good)

Cons

Salary caps (a/r & a/p clerks $35k-40k). This is low compared to a lot of other companies.
    Can be quite noisy in certain places of the office especially in the a/r & a/p section where you are up to 32 people working in cubicles in the same area.
    Some people don't respect others and are always loud.
    Possibility to move up but limited space depending on which department you work in.
    Some business units are poorly managed.
    They would rather hire cheaply than give a good employee a salary increase. (tried twice and got max pay in my position only the 1st time after working more than 4 years here)
    CEO (not very friendly)

Advice to Management

Raise your salary caps. You keep talking at every corporate event how much more you made since the previous year, but employees don't see any of it for most staff.
    Offer more to keep employees who've been there long instead of always hire cheap, new staff. This doesn't help the business units to be efficient. Hence why there is a lot of turnover.
    Allow staff and maybe even encourage staff to work from home when the job is possible to do from home. I was able to do it and my work never deteriorated.
    Promote more social activities to let the office get to know each other more.

4. "Account Receivable"

I worked at Harris Computer full-time

Pros

Good to start career as an accountant or related field

Cons

Pay less and ask for more work to do

Advice to Management

Never going to change even anyone tries to explain how important it is for Harris to keep good employees and give them competitive salary.

"Accounts Receivable"

I worked at Harris Computer full-time

Pros

Great work culture and team.

Cons

Compensation was the only reason to leave.

15 Jun, 2018 – Director, Talent and Development

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback helps us to make employee focused business decisions.

6. "Good company with poor management"

Pros

Great place to learn new skills, co workers are good to work with and are a good mix of all ages. Free lunch once a month, good benefits, and beer Fridays.

Cons

Management is not transparent with employees. No feedback is given if you or don't do your job properly. Your expected to work long hours and overtime quite often.

Advice to Management

Don't be quite and keep your mouth shut when employees are not design their job properly. Give them then feedback they need to step up to the plate.

15 Jun, 2018 – Director, Talent and Development

Thank you for your honest review. Feedback is so important to individual and team success. We will work to bring more clarify around feedback regarding performance and expectations of leaders.

"Awesome Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work Remotely. Travel opportunities.

Cons

Scheduduling can sometimes be a pain.

8 May, 2018 – Director, Talent and Development

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear you are enjoying travel and a remote work environment.

8. "Underpaid and undervalued."

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place if you're just starting in your career, decent vacation, some opportunities for growth, and remote work possible.

Cons

Underpaid but expected to work overtime with minimal benefits. Employees opinions don't matter at the end of the day, lots of internal politics, and no such thing as career development or additional training.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more, compensate them fairly, and invest in them.

8 May, 2018 – Director, Talent and Development

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We recognize that different team members have different experiences working with our organization. We do have a long term view of... More

"Excellent , Progressive Company"

Current Employee - Leader
    Current Employee - Leader

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time

Pros

Great leadership, clear direction, tremendous respect of employees.

Cons

Only 5 weeks of vacation :-)

Advice to Management

More acquisitions in Winnipeg.

"'Career' Company"

I have been working at Harris Computer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Harris offers challenging and rewarding jobs that you can turn in to a career.
    They are a "lean" company but there are lots of perks including stock matching (check out CSU:TSX), a variety of bonuses/merit pay, very good health/benefits package.

If you're looking for a trendy, start-up type environment, Harris may not be for you but if you are looking for a job you can really sink your feet into and make a difference, consider a job with a Harris company.

Cons

As stated above, it's not necessarily "sexy", startup type work. It's working on health, utilities, financial, government. Yaaaawwwwnnn! ;)

It's not for everybody, in that regard.