Bench Accounting Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Apr 6, 2020

4.2
Bench Accounting CEO 	Ian Crosby
Ian Crosby
Pros
  • "There is also good flexibility to work from home or even work remote for small periods(in 26 reviews)

• "I've learned so much and met so many great people since I joined Bench a little over a year ago(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only real Con is that Tax Season can be incredibly busy, but the summertime is the complete opposite so it does make up for this(in 13 reviews)

• "Long hours for certain departments, rapid changes (negative to some)(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great People, Great Opportunities."

Current Employee - Accounting Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Great place to start a career. I've learned so much and met so many great people since I joined Bench a little over a year ago. It's hard to imagine what my life would've been like if I'd gone to work anywhere else. • The open and honest culture is really refreshing. Everyone is very transparent about why they think the way they do or why they made certain decisions. Not a lot of ego or politics and in my experience everyone is very supportive of one another. • There's a ton of variety in my role, which I love. I get to manage and develop a small team, interview potential new hires, give my input on changes to compensation and ops-wide processes, and there's always something new that I look forward to each day. • Your growth at Bench is really only held back by the quality of your ideas. If you have good ideas, and you're willing to put in the work to make them a reality, you'll go far. You don't need 4 different bosses to rubber-stamp your plans, there's very little red tape.

Cons

• I wish there was more structured training. You go through Bench Academy for about two weeks when you first join and that teaches you the basic principles of bookkeeping and how to use the software, but after that you're pretty much on your own. If you're not someone who actively seeks out challenges and personal/career development then you'll struggle. • There's always some new process change or experiment going on, which is great and I'm glad we're always trying new things, but the pace of change can be overwhelming at times.

Bench Accounting2020-03-19

"Some good aspects, many problems"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Environment flexibility - Bench offers a nice flexibility between in office work, and working remotely. Office Locations - The office is located in Downtown Vancouver, and Metrotown Burnaby. It is accessible by various forms of transit.

Cons

Inexperience - Many associates, but also managers have very little experience in their role. They hire entry level accounting positions, and have a surprising lack of requirements in terms of education and previous work experience. They also promote internally very heavily, which means that the ones "managing" are really just experimenting in their role, and often lack foresight. Additionally the team leads and managers are not held accountable. Work Hours - Bench boasts a great work life balance, but in reality they have neglected to address the hours of unpaid overtime their staff are required to perform to satisfy their clients. Job Security - Bench is constantly accepting new intakes of associates. Then after tax season is over, they no longer need them. It is similar to what is referred to what is popularly referred to as "Crunch" in the video game industry. The amount of employee turnover at this company is unlike anything I have seen. Certainly not a stable, professional setting.

Bench Accounting2020-03-19
  3. "Supportive work environment in a rapidly growing business"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm constantly challenged to work to the best of my ability and look for new ways to improve. My thoughts are considered by my managers and the support system is amazing. Across the board its a young, energized workforce that want to succeed in their careers.

Cons

The base salary could be considered a little low, but especially in the sales team there is real scope to earn bonuses. Considering the work environment however, the brand new offices and the opportunity to earn uncapped commissions, I love my job here.

Bench Accounting2020-03-02
  4. "Let working here be your very last option"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

good for immigration purposes and counts towards your CPA until you can find a more sustainable place to work at

Cons

• very high work load • It is a combination of accounting work and retail-like communication with clients. You are expected to bend over backwards for all types of requests and demands. The portfolio size is large and there is no communication to clients about this reality. • The pay is HORRIBLE. Absolutely unacceptable for the amount of work and expectations set for you to meet. • Tenure means nothing to these people. The dispose and replace associates like clockwork. As long as a few remaining employees are willing to take on the extra training with no additional pay, they continue to underpay employees until they leave only to be replaced.

Bench Accounting2020-04-06
  5. "Such a fantastic place to work!"

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Bench I have such a work life balance. I've never felt more valued and appreciated in a job as I do here. The atmosphere is fun and everyone is so hard working.

Cons

Sometimes things can feel hectic, but that's the life of a start-up!

Bench Accounting2020-02-25
  6. "would recommend"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management, fun teams, employees are always kept in the loop, great exposure to tech and start-up

Cons

long hours on some days.

Bench Accounting2020-02-25
  7. "Fun office, need better senior management"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great positivism on my team. Young office filled with like-minded individuals

Cons

Staff need more training. Different departments need to learn to work together more efficiently for all staff to be happy.

Bench Accounting2020-03-11
  8. "Bench gets it right."

Current Employee - Environment Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vibrant work culture, plenty of mentoring opportunities and room for advancement

Cons

Things change quickly - you have thrive in that kind of uncertainty. Nothing out of the ordinary for a startup.

Bench Accounting2020-02-21

Bench Accounting Response

February 25, 2020

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time out to write a review. We really appreciate it! Honest feedback is so valuable to us here and we're always looking to improve our Benchmate experience. You're right, things do change quite quickly around here and it can be intense living in that uncertainty sometimes. Like you say, a certain amount of that is down to us being a young start-up scaling quite rapidly but we never want anyone to feel overwhelmed by that flux. So, if you ever feel like things are changing too much or there's too much uncertainty, please reach out and book a coffee with your manager or with a member of the people team. We’d love to hear your thoughts and find a solution to make sure you're feeling great about coming in everyday. It sounds like you're having a pretty good experience overall though, which is awesome! Default Open, and that philosophy of being transparent in all instances is so vital to our culture and to what we stand for as a company so I’m delighted that you feel so aligned with it!

Continue reading
  9. "Choose your own adventure!"

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

Tons of learning opportunities for career advancement, whether it be through promotions or moves to other teams/departments. Open culture where you can talk to anyone in any department and management will be up front and real with you. Lots of collaboration between and within departments/teams, and lower level employees' feedback is more than just welcome, it is encouraged - so many systems and processes have been designed and iterated upon based on Accounting Associates' feedback. Bench is a company where you can be yourself and speak up with constructive feedback without fear of negative repercussions, and your voice will be respected and genuinely taken into consideration. If you are self-motivated, organized, driven, and dedicated, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Things change quickly and frequently. All of the change can sometimes be hard to keep up with and sometimes is very draining. It often feels like every person on every team is constantly scrambling to stay on top of their workload (especially in Keep Up) or figure out urgent solutions to a seemingly never-ending stream of difficult problems. It can sometimes be exhausting to be part of and be around. Turnover is also high across the company, but especially in Operations. This has put Bench in a position where there's a lack of experienced Accounting Associates, resulting in major knowledge gaps across Operations when it comes to technical bookkeeping skills and internal team processes. Compensation in Operations also isn't very good (below market average,) but luckily that's changing in a couple of months.

Bench Accounting2020-02-26
  10. "great place to work!"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

loads of dogs and free beer on fridays! super great out of university first job. christmas party is so fun

Cons

can be long hours during tax season

Bench Accounting2020-02-26