Bench Accounting Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 114 reviews

3.8
Bench Accounting CEO 	Ian Crosby
Ian Crosby
Pros
  • "certain team leads let you have a lot of freedom, you can work from home once a week(in 19 reviews)

• "You're surrounded by great people and everyone works hard toward the same goal(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expectation to work long hours (9(in 11 reviews)

• "Company culture could be better, departments are very segmented from each other(in 7 reviews)

1. "Its hard to describe the vibe, but it is the best kind of quirky, smart, and driven to change the world"

Current Employee - Vice President in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was initially attracted to Bench by the founders' commitment to make bookkeeping easy and affordable for every small business. What I found when I arrived, was a team comprised of unique, super smart problem solvers, who love to tackle hard problems together. Bench operates in a busy category but the way we are empowering small businesses is unique and effective. I really like working with a team that cares... about the client and is willing to constantly challenge our own product and process in order to deliver more and better value to our users. The culture at Bench is different than any other company I've worked for. Every voice matters and every employee has the opportunity to understand and help shape the firm's strategy. Great ideas come from all over the organization and we encourage creative ideas that help solve old problems or create new value for our users. The company is committed to hiring great people and giving them the tools and space they need to do the best work of their lives. That's not to say that every employee has the experience of doing great work at Bench, but if you are someone who wants to push yourself...you will find support at Bench in pursuing excellence. I've had the opportunity to work for companies of various size and type, but Bench has been a special experience for me. This is not just a job for me, it is an extension of who I am. I do my best to bring my skills and experience to Bench every day, and Bench provides me with everything I need to improve upon those skills, my own approach to management, and ultimately has allowed me to create a new way of living my life.

Cons

Bench (like many startups) is in a constant state of (fast) change and growth. What this means for some Benchmates is that life at Bench includes ups, downs, and moments of uncertainty. I don't think this is avoidable. I do think we can do a better job of making periods of uncertainty more manageable by communicating clearly and frequently.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the AA (bookkeeper) experience and treat Benchmates, clients, and partners as the most important parts of our business.

Bench Accounting2019-09-06
  2. "Accounting Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool office, free snacks, great people to work with.

Cons

Hiring people with zero accounting experience to take on a high workload. No set hours so you will have to work longer and won’t get paid extra (with very low pay to start with).

Bench Accounting2019-09-11
  3. "Everything is great except the compensation"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, my team leads were great too.

Cons

Compensation, need to reach word limit

Bench Accounting2019-09-09

"Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everything is on-site, so software devs work very closely with the folks using the software and are constantly making improvements - The CEO is very accessible (no office, works on the floor with the rest of the company) and genuinely cares if people are happy. Always makes time to chat. - Mental health training is baked right into the onboarding/training process - Loads of resources to express ideas for... improvement in every area of the company - Decent benefits - Everyone is pretty friendly and there are a lot of awesome people who work here - Flexibility - basically, you can choose where and how you get your work done (within reason). The ability to work remotely is great, and being able to arrive at work when you want to (as long as the work is getting done) really reduces stress. If you work better later in the day, come in later and stay later...if you work better earlier in the day, come in as early as you like. - free snacks are great - Everyone is encouraged to experiment with better ways of getting things done and to share the results with the company so that processes can be adjusted where necessary. - Basically, you're treated as an adult. There is no micromanaging - if you're having trouble meeting deadlines, Leads are happy to sit down and work out a new plan but for the most part, you're left to your own devices (but still very well supported, that being said) I've been here for about 10 months and have never been happier. Work/life balance is great in the summer, my concerns are heard and responded to by people who genuinely care.

Cons

- Salary could be higher (but there are opportunities to take on more work which comes with a raise) - Due to the nature of being a startup, sometimes there are experiments that can be frustrating to work through - but, again, concerns and issues are heard and responded to well which really helps - Work/Life balance during tax season is nonexistent. This is balanced by how quiet the summer months are, but just... know that tax season is a lot.

Advice to Management

Make it really easy for associates to give feedback/voice concerns on changes to process before they happen to mitigate some of the frustrations (eg. through surveys etc) that occur when changes are made that impact workflow or the client's view.

Bench Accounting2019-08-07
  5. "Great place!"

Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

Great people, dog-friendly office, can work from home and a beautiful working space

Cons

Lots of changes can make it stressful

Bench Accounting2019-08-01
  6. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Exper On Boarding Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

great culture very passionate ceo friendly employees great benefits A lot of room to grow

Cons

Like every start up, there will be ups and downs. Just ride the wave

Bench Accounting2019-07-26

"Disorganized, hipster management"

Former Employee - Accounting Team Lead

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allowed independence. I could work from home when I wanted.

Cons

Management was too focused on whatever management or business trend was hip (I believe it's Landmark now) to focus on operations. Forcing team leads to read uninspired management books rather than focusing on their team. Operations management was so grossly under qualified for their jobs, it's not surprising that Bench can't secure funding anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop being disingenuous. I see hiring ads all over the place for Bench. You should not be hiring people if you're going under in a year. Also, Landmark is a multi level marketing scheme that takes advantage of people when they are at their lowest. Shame on you for pushing it on your employees.

Bench Accounting2019-08-27

Bench Accounting Response

August 28, 2019Co-Founder and CEO

First off, I want to acknowledge your contribution to Bench. Glassdoor says you worked at Bench for over 3 years. There’s no way that you were here through the wild journey of the last few years and didn’t make a significant contribution to our customers and the people under this ...

8. "I love working here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First and foremost, Bench is full of great people who I enjoy working with. There are a lot of reasons to work here beyond that, though. Transparent leadership. Empathetic management. Office dogs. We're solving a problem (bookkeeping) that our customers hate dealing with, so they love us. Continuous professional growth opportunities. Competitive pay & benefits (for engineers). Basically, it's a BS free zone... to build great relationships and do great work.

Cons

The cultural gap between departments is still large. The average tenure in engineering is long while the average tenure in operations is significantly shorter. Senior leadership has also turned over quite a bit, so some folks were promoted internally who are less experienced. We went through some lay-offs recently as well, which was stressful, but fortunately was communicated & handled well by leadership.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I hope y'all are doing things for yourself in your lives that make you happy. You deserve it.

Bench Accounting2019-07-23
  9. "Pretty awesome company to work for"

I have been working at Bench Accounting

Pros

- freedom to work remotely or from home - work hours are based on your ability to complete the work efficiently. You aren't forced to sit there from 9 to 5 every day. - management is open to new ideas and feedback. The Director of Operations and Operations Managers open their schedules for anyone to sit down and chat with them one on one. - teams are full of supportive and incredibly helpful people - product and... engineering listen to everyone's ideas and build the product based on operations direct feedback - there are so many opportunities for promotions and internal hirings - leadership training and personal development workshops available for all staff

Cons

- Things can change rapidly.. and it's hard to keep up with all of the updates and roll outs sometimes. - The bookkeeper role needs some improvement. Too many responsibilities and expectations fall on individuals that can impact client experience.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback & redefine the bookkeeper role.

Bench Accounting2019-07-11
  10. "A perfect place to learn and grow as a young professional."

Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth opportunities, great people, freedom to experiment, performance driven

Cons

Long hours for certain departments, rapid changes (negative to some)

Advice to Management

Try to reduce bookkeeper turnover

Bench Accounting2019-07-11