Bench Accounting Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

4.1
Bench Accounting CEO 	Ian Crosby
Ian Crosby
Pros
  • "There is also good flexibility to work from home or even work remote for small periods(in 26 reviews)

• "I really enjoyed my time at Bench and I met some really great people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "variability in work intensity (tax season)(in 19 reviews)

• "Long hours for certain departments, rapid changes (negative to some)(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Career Development

Apr 26, 2021 - Expert Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I first joined Bench in November of 2019 I was frankly confused on what my career path would look like. I was excited about the industry. However, with the role as an Accounting Associate would I perform? Sometimes you let past situations show up possibly impacting your confidence. For me it was simply due to not performing well in accounting courses in university. I was understanding other courses but this subject was difficult. I was eager to give it another go. What I really appreciated from Bench’s perspective is its more about the person’s attitude vs judging on what happened in the past. Bench also provides a tremendous amount of support. When I navigated my way through Ops Academy, which is a two week program providing bookkeeping knowledge this was a game changer for me because the different way of teaching this subject finally was resonating with me. Transitioning from Ops Academy to a bookkeeping team it was very assuring to know that everyone truly cared about each other and was always willing to help. That certainly helped me grow even more. Going through my first tax season was great because it gave me the experience on how I could improve for the next tax season. It’s critical to reflect and understand how you can constantly get better. From there continuing to learn and grow was important from month to month. December 2020 came along when I was curious on what the next step could be for myself. I discussed with my Team Lead about becoming an Expert Accounting Associate. As such we developed a comprehensive plan. Everything was transparent on what I needed to do. By constantly checking into my progress I was certainly on track to get the promotion. Now, I am proud to say I have been promoted to Expert Accounting Associate. I wanted to share this story because it's an important lesson that just because you start in a new job that seems unfamiliar there is a massive opportunity. Opportunity to learn, grow and career advancement! Proud to support my clients Proud to be on a great team Proud to work for Bench Proud to be a Benchmate

Cons

Very fast paced but you have ongoing support

2. 5.0

Great People

Apr 12, 2021 - Lead Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Bench genuinely cares about their employees and treats them like human beings as opposed to a source of revenue - Management is supportive of you and genuinely care about your growth and health - You are given opportunities to take initiatives and projects on your team to help hit the performance metrics

Cons

- The work can get repetitive quick so it can get very tedious, however this is the case with most industry accounting positions

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic place to work

Apr 8, 2021 - Accounting Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Bench has been an amazing experience so far. Such a great group of people, support for working from home is incredible, and the company really cares about clients and employees. The company is constantly growing, learning, and improving. Great benefits and flexible working hours and time off.

Cons

Tax season can be busy! But really there is so much support to get you through the busy times.

4. 4.0

A good place to start

May 10, 2021 - Accounting Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

•No micromanagement •Decent enough training •Great coworkers

Cons

•Lower wage/High hours •Very demanding business culture •Not a lot of support for bookkeepers

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Career growth with great people. Take on yourself, and a big market problem

Nov 3, 2020 - Director Partnerships
      Business Outlook

Pros

The business has changed a heck of a lot over the years. With so much change you adapt, grow and deliver on ever increasing demands, in a good way. For me, it's been a place to experiment, fail, and win. People are earnestly looking around to take on hard conversations. How Bench is impacting the world beyond the business of doing bookkeeping and financial stuff is truly front and center these days. Being radically candid, and stating commitments to address areas of change is becoming more and more present in the culture. Working at Bench I've felt like I've been part of an honest collective of people willing to reflect - trying to keep it human.

Cons

Bench has grown a specific set of language practices - and some may find it difficult to adapt. This isn't necessarily a con as much as its fair insight for new hires considering a career at Bench. Double down on listening for how Bench is leveraging committed language and feedback. Turn over is high on some teams. In others, not at all. Bench has been a difficult business to scale and has required a large number of entry position staff. The entry point to the business has netted out with a ton of folks using their Bench experience to level up with an opportunity elsewhere. It's something Benchmates are actively trying to solve for because losing good people isn't the desired outcome.

6. 5.0

Great Place To Work If You Can Advocate For Yourself

Dec 29, 2020 - Accounting Associate in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bench is a fantastic place to work - I've had the opportunity to get to know some lovely people, I've remained employed throughout the pandemic, and I've had managers who are genuinely invested in working with me to further my career and professional development. There's a lot of internal promotion, the company has taken genuine and extensive action in working to better it's diversity, equity and inclusion, and you get the opportunity to really help people in the course of working here.

Cons

Because Bench is still a start-up, that's only now working on transforming into a fully fledged company (despite being very big for a start up), there are a lot of situations where things fall through the cracks. Situations with time off, extra work, etc. can be an issue if you're not able to advocate for yourself, and push back on things that seem unfair or poorly thought through. Management does respond quickly and effectively when these things are raised, but you can't rely on things being caught for you.

7. 5.0

Join Bench Retro!

Feb 9, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working on the Sales Retroactive team at Bench has been a very rewarding. Being an Account Executive on this team has helped me to grow professionally in my communication, problem solving and leadership skills. This role allows me to be independent and manage my own day to day schedule. All ideas, positive and constructive, are welcomed. Creativity and suggestions in developing individual and team roles are fully encouraged. We have a supportive management team that genuinely cares about each and every team members personal well being. The leaders on this team are honest and transparent on their visions as this team grows.

Cons

Cons are N/A to this review.

8. 4.0

Wonderful People, Great New Grad Job

Apr 11, 2021 - Accounting Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

One thing Bench does well is hiring. The people are what makes this place amazing. - Yearly Compensation Reviews

Cons

- Busy tax season - This is more of a job fit problem for me but having to deal with clients unexpected requests when I already have my plate full is not ideal

Continue reading
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Ambitious and Exciting

Mar 3, 2021 - Operations Analyst in Delta, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bench is a company with integrity and truly cares about employees and customers. This is reflected in company policy and significant time and financial investments they have made into ensuring that employees and customers are treated well and have the best opportunity for success.

Cons

Like any startup, Bench is affected by a constantly shifting focus. They are trying to do something that nobody has ever done before, and so leadership across the organization is figuring things out as they go, which affects employees. This is something the company has leaned into and address in their core value of being "scrappy".

Continue reading
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

I have never felt so compelled to work for a company

Mar 2, 2021 - Director of Marketing in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Mission is core to everything we do: profoundly impact the life of a million people - Truly care about DEI - We're in an amazing, exciting, growth journey - Direct feedback, default open - Fantastic, talented people, that also knows how to '' keep it human ''

Cons

- Rapid pace, constant changes

Viewing 1 - 10 of 256 Reviews