Bench Accounting Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.9
Bench Accounting CEO 	Ian Crosby
Ian Crosby
Pros
  • "you will find support at Bench in pursuing excellence(in 33 reviews)

• "There is also good flexibility to work from home or even work remote for small periods(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expectation to work long hours (9(in 10 reviews)

• "As a company that is growing at such a rapid rate, the constant change can be overwhelming at times and workloads can become heavy during tax season(in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing management who are genuinely committed to their staff both personally and professionally"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers are phenomenal and really care about their staff's wellness and development. So much opportunity to grow and gain exposure to different areas of the business. Opinions and ideas are listened to fully and given respect regardless of seniority. Great work environment and culture. Impressive mental health guide / support. Open and transparent about pretty much everything. Great benefits and coverage. Senior staff / Directors / CEO are all really approachable, very fluid organizational structure.

Cons

Long work hours. Initial on-boarding didn't provide all that much training. Great events / fun slack channels but can be difficult to find time to engage in them. Hard to switch off.

Bench Accounting2019-11-08
  2. "Amazing place to grow and do meaningful work, with an incredible team"

Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Bench is the opportunity to learn, grow, and succeed with the most smart, driven, yet humble group of people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. People here truly support each other and strive to do incredible work. There's a lot of autonomy for new ideas and initiatives, you're encouraged to share and experiment. The default open value is really practiced within the business. This level of transparency means always know what is happening at Bench, and where we're aiming to go. I feel aligned and committed to where we are going as a business, and understand how my work impacts that. The leadership team is honest about challenges and is always open to feedback on how to find a better way forward. I never feel afraid to talk to my manager or my colleagues about my wellbeing, I feel supported 100% of the time. The remote options really help with work life balance.

Cons

Something that naturally comes with being a startup is that the business changes really quickly, so as a business we have to adapt really quickly. This can be a bit of a rollercoaster, but I think our management team has done a great job of being transparent and default open about these situations.

Bench Accounting2019-11-05
  3. "So much opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is such a great place for people starting out in their careers to find something they are passionate about and really build a career around that. So much opportunity for growth and professional development, and you have a leadership team that is there to support you in doing just that. The office culture is also amazing. Really inspiring coming to work alongside a group of smart, ambitious people. Also there's always lots of fun stuff going on around the office.

Cons

Fast growing startup, so things move really fast. This rapid change might not be for everyone

Bench Accounting2019-11-01
  4. "Great for fresh grads"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time

Pros

Great culture, great people Cool office

Cons

Low compensation for amount of work

Bench Accounting2019-10-18
  5. "Overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Accounting Associate

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Very flexible work environment • Great coworkers and office environment • Beers Fridays

Cons

• Compensation is not very good

Bench Accounting2019-10-04
  6. "Great engineering team, company falls a bit behind"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was part of the engineering team that powers Bench Software and I enjoyed my time there. The team is one of the best engineering organizations I worked at. Very diverse team, with very good senior engineers that have been in the company for a while but also enthusiastic juniors to shuffle things a bit. Overall a great team to work with with solid engineering principles. The tech stack is also appealing: React, GraphQL, Java/Scala, Go, Postgres... My focus was the infrastructure and I was happy to get to use the entire HashiCorp toolkit on a daily basis and be involved in significant projects like migrating all services to Kubernetes or rolling out advanced features of Vault. Engineers are encouraged to speak up and contribute to the technology roadmap and new tools are processes can be easily rolled out as long as it makes sense for the rest of the team. Easy to move decisions forward with a culture of white board-->plan-->get done. Conversations with management and teammates are straight and there is not a lot of BS around. You are treated like an adult and you are expected to behave as such! There is also good flexibility to work from home or even work remote for small periods.

Cons

Most of the engineering management team have been with the company for a long time. While that's usually good, I feel it will be positive to also bring experienced managers with different backgrounds. Sometimes you get the feeling that we all live and breathe the same so it will be good to keep looking for external experienced managers in addition to the great internal promotions. I also noticed this pattern in other areas of the company, where most of the execs have been promoted from within making the exec team not as diverse as it used to be. Sometimes you get the feeling that Bench and Bench Engineering are two different companies. Every member of the engineering team should know at any given time how are they impacting our internal and external customers. You can tell that some of the ops teams are a bit unhappy and it will be great if there was more focus from other teams on keeping ops happy. After all, they are the core of what we do! Lastly, I think salaries should be reviewed and bench-marked against the local market. While the salaries are not bad (especially taking into account the entire package), I feel that cash comp. could be improved as there's been some departures related to it.

Bench Accounting2019-10-02
  7. "Decent place for some early experience"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great atmosphere/culture -Good entry level job as little experience is necessary -Room for growth within the operations department

Cons

-High stress & work hours -It's very chaotic, leadership is very reactive and priorities are always shifting -While salary is fair for the market, the hours and stress of the job are not always equal to the pay

Bench Accounting2019-10-08

"Its hard to describe the vibe, but it is the best kind of quirky, smart, and driven to change the world"

Current Employee - Vice President in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bench Accounting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was initially attracted to Bench by the founders' commitment to make bookkeeping easy and affordable for every small business. What I found when I arrived, was a team comprised of unique, super smart problem solvers, who love to tackle hard problems together. Bench operates in a busy category but the way we are empowering small businesses is unique and effective. I really like working with a team that cares about the client and is willing to constantly challenge our own product and process in order to deliver more and better value to our users. The culture at Bench is different than any other company I've worked for. Every voice matters and every employee has the opportunity to understand and help shape the firm's strategy. Great ideas come from all over the organization and we encourage creative ideas that help solve old problems or create new value for our users. The company is committed to hiring great people and giving them the tools and space they need to do the best work of their lives. That's not to say that every employee has the experience of doing great work at Bench, but if you are someone who wants to push yourself...you will find support at Bench in pursuing excellence. I've had the opportunity to work for companies of various size and type, but Bench has been a special experience for me. This is not just a job for me, it is an extension of who I am. I do my best to bring my skills and experience to Bench every day, and Bench provides me with everything I need to improve upon those skills, my own approach to management, and ultimately has allowed me to create a new way of living my life.

Cons

Bench (like many startups) is in a constant state of (fast) change and growth. What this means for some Benchmates is that life at Bench includes ups, downs, and moments of uncertainty. I don't think this is avoidable. I do think we can do a better job of making periods of uncertainty more manageable by communicating clearly and frequently.

Bench Accounting2019-09-06

"Everything is great except the compensation"

Former Employee - Accounting Associate

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, my team leads were great too.

Cons

Compensation, need to reach word limit

Bench Accounting2019-09-09
  10. "Accounting Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bench Accounting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool office, free snacks, great people to work with.

Cons

Hiring people with zero accounting experience to take on a high workload. No set hours so you will have to work longer and won’t get paid extra (with very low pay to start with).

Bench Accounting2019-09-11