Bench Accounting Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 1 Aug, 2018

2.3

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in August-2017.

Interview

1. Apply Online
    2. Receive email to schedule 15 minute phonecall with Recruiter
    3. In-person 30 minute with Recruiter + Team Lead
    4. Take Home Assignment
    5. Offer
    6. Background check - big alarm bells
    7. Contract signing

I was very excited to work here. Ultimately I declined their offer for one reason - they force you to go through a third-party background check company to complete the criminal record check. I had multiple issues with this, as I didn't want to surrender my identity documents to a third-party company I didn't know or trust. Bench were completely unwilling to go through an ordinary criminal record check with the Vancouver Police Department - which would have given the same results - instead insisting that everyone must go through Checkr. I was essentially offered an ultimatum - go through Checkr, or don't work for us. It was a disgusting way to treat a candidate. I had legitimate concerns about my data and privacy, as this company have carte blance to store and distribute your passport/licence/SIN/Health insurance card etc. to whover, all whilst being based in the States. Something smelt really off with the whole thing... I support and appreciate their need to do a background check, and was 100% willing to do so, as I have nothing to hide. But if it was REALLY and TRULY about a criminal record check, they would have compromised and been okay with me doing it through a conventional route. But no, they insisted - due to "company policy" - that I must use Checkr. Seems like there's a backroom deal to use their software or some dodgy deal. When I raised my legitimate concerns and asked for a further explanation about WHY it has to be done through Checkr and not the police, I couldn't get a straight answer and was told I'm not a good fit for them. Which went completely against what was said in their offer phonecall 3 days previous - that I was a great fit and they were excited for me to work at Bench. So, I was lied to at some point. Pathetic and disgusting unprofessional behavior (coming from someone who's worked in recruiting themselves -we would never treat our candidates like this).

Needless to say, I declined their offer. I have no interest in taking a job with a company that would force me to be uncomfortable, to reject my principles and concerns, to be unwilling to work with me, outright lie to me, and have ZERO transparency. It's a toxic approach and I would discourage EVERYBODY thinking of applying to stay well, well away. If this is how they treat candidates they're willing to extend offers to and want working for them, I dread to think how their employees get treated. I also feel they aren't peddling a good product and the future isn't sustainable for this company, particularly given their culture and approach. Better things out there folks!

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to gain from this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in your career in 2 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with an uncooperative co-worker.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in March-2017.

Interview

Very straightforward and generic interview process. Applied and was contacted by email a few days later. Phone interview lasted about an hour, asked simple questions like explain a time you dealt with conflict and how you resolved it? In person interview was a bit more detailed and consisted of a panel asking behavioural questions, They didnt ask me anything that wouldve highlighted my qualifications for the job though (which I found odd).

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you dealt with conflict and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Junior Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

The recruiter missed our scheduled call time. I tried getting in touch during the time we were supposed to have our phone interview, but could not get ahold of the recruiter. Poor candidate experience, especially for someone in HR. After re-scheduling, I did have the phone interview, and it was fine, basic questions regarding prior experience, why I wanted to work at Bench.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)) in February-2014.

Interview

It was a multiple phase interviewing process, starting with a programming task, than continuing with a live coding session, with some questions regarding how would I make certain additions to the initial task.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC).

Interview

Bench recruiter reached out on LinkedIn because i was a strong technical fit, had a good call and set up convo with cto. That went very well, very knowledgeable and interesting guy. Then an assignment which was formatting api responses, they said it was excellent.

Last stage was interview with 3 engineers who called it a 'hang out' and an experimental new interview step (no instructions/expectations given). They seemed more eager to discuss game of thrones than my experience and technical interests (so i assumed it was a culture fit interview).

Next day I got the most generic rejection email saying i didn't have the necessary technical skills. After corresponding, the CTO indicated it had been mishandled and offered to bring me back for an interview a month later.

Waste of time. Would not recommend, taking amazon offer.

Interview Questions

• Highlight your understanding of ES6 features and implementation of classes   Answer Question

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in April-2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and the next day I was contacted for to schedule a phone interview. The initial phone interview of all the interviews I have had this felt the most conversational and instantly made me feel at ease. The phone interview was basically asking about how I would perform the tasks outlined in the job description. There were no surprise or unusual questions. The next week after the interview I was notified that they would not be proceeding with my application.

Interview Questions

• How would you prospect new partners?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in October-2016.

Interview

There was a series of three interviews and a technical test: a phone interview, a test, an in-person interview, and a culture-fit panel interview. The entire process between application and not getting an offer was about two months.

Interview Questions

• Questions ran the gamut between my experience/qualifications to questions about me personally. I actually enjoyed answering the job-related questions. They were challenging and thoughtful. The culture fit interview was more of a chat. It felt a bit contrived. But, the people I met with appeared to be engaged and interesting.   1 Answer

Marketing Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

Was never interviewed, but knew one of the recruiters at Bench who passed along the job posting. She was communicative about the role, expectations, and who the role would be reporting to within the company.

Interview Questions

• Although I did not have a phone screen or interview, I had asked several questions to the recruiter via LinkedIn.   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in November-2017.

Interview

After submitting resume and answering some questions on their website. Recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview. On the day of phone interview, called on time and asked me about my day and what I was going to do. After it was just generic interview question, nothing out of the ordinary or interesting.

Interview Questions

Bench Accounting Response

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our interview process. We tailor the questions asked in our initial phone interview stage for all roles to accurately assess potential candidates to... More

Accounting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Toronto, ON) in June-2014.

Interview

This interview was very informal over multiple Skype sessions. Overall didn't ask much about my skill set. More interested in knowing if I was a fun quirky person who matched the culture. Asked questions about my hobbies and goals. Some basic accounting questions. Understand how to simply explain debits and credits.

Interview Questions

• Which game of thrones character I like   8 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.