Bench Accounting Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Bench Accounting Interview Questions

Updated 27 Nov, 2017

2.3

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

I applied online for Bench Accounting because I had heard many great things about the company from classmates. When I submitted my application online, they requested to schedule a phone interview in the upcoming days. The phone interview was a pleasant conversation and the caller demonstrated passion for the company. She was very helpful in answering any inquiries that I had and was very thorough in here explanations. After the phone interview, I was scheduled to go into the head office (very nice office) in a couple day, to have a face to face interview with a team-leader. Once again this interview was a great experience because they were very receptive towards my answers. Instead of typical interviews, where questions would be fired out constantly, they would comment on my answer and build on it. After the interview, they said they would contact me in the next couple days on the next step. 3 days later, I was given a written assignment to do. This assignment took me 6 hours to complete. The assignment was not difficult, but required a lot of thought. Once they received my assignment, and reviewed it, they contacted me to inform me that they would like to extend me an offer.

Overall, it was a great experience and they were very on top of things. For previous jobs, I had experiences where interview processes would take weeks just to get back to me, which was very frustrating. At Bench they were efficient and clear on what to expect for the next steps.

Interview Questions

Bench Accounting Response

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the positive review on our interview process! We strive to make sure that all candidates have a great experience, whether successful or not, and reviews like this only push us to be... More

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in November-2017.

Interview

After submitting resume and answering some questions on their website. Recruiter emailed me to schedule a phone interview. On the day of phone interview, called on time and asked me about my day and what I was going to do. After it was just generic interview question, nothing out of the ordinary or interesting.

Interview Questions

Bench Accounting Response

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our interview process. We tailor the questions asked in our initial phone interview stage for all roles to accurately assess potential candidates to... More

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in November-2017.

Interview

Round 1: Applied Online to be Selected
    Round 2: Phone Interview
    Round 3: Interview at the Office
    Round 4: Assignment

The interview and application process was very simple but I declined the offer because the pay is way to low where it started at around $33,000 and after pass probation it will increase to $35,0000. The experience Bench could provide will be great for any students interning or on a co-op but in terms on long-term career there does not seem to much of internal or external growth say if you worked there for 2+ years. If you are a new graduate from one of the universities, you're better off starting off as an accounting clerk (ex: very basic A/R and A/P role) in a corporation if you did not succeed in public accounting recruitment season. I am able to imagine the appeal of the so called "start-up" culture Bench offers since you get to work with a bunch of people similar in age range but what is next? Which is I why I decline my offer since the salary is way too low and I don't see long-term growth in skills where it will help me within in the organization or external to the organization. I am do your research, I am so surprised by the background on Linkedin on many associate working here with degrees from UBC Sauder or SFU Beedie.

The interviewer really tried to sell the "start-up" experience but I am not drinking that kool-aid

Interview Questions

Bench Accounting Response

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for leaving a review on our interview process here at Bench! I hope you enjoyed your experience and wanted to quickly clarify some points on career progression here at Bench. Our operations... More

Application

Interview

It was a simple process, started with a phone call then in person interview and lastly a take home assignment. Offer came a few days after the assignment was completed.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you made a mistake and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the positive feedback of our interview process here at Bench! It's great to hear that the process went quickly. Thanks again and welcome to Bench!

Front End Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in October-2017.

Interview

The interview process was split in four phases:
    1. A friendly introductory chat on the phone.
    2. A meeting with the team-leads where you get to demonstrate your knowledge and experience in a casual setting.
    3. An interesting assignment for you to take home.
    4. An in-person code review of your submitted solution with the team.

Overall I had a great time interviewing at Bench. They were very supportive and always encouraged me to be myself.

I was made an offer, which I happily accepted, accompanied by a very simple background check. Can't wait to join the team!

Interview Questions

Bench Accounting Response

28 Nov, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your interview experience here at Bench! It's amazing to hear that you felt encouraged to be yourself during the process. Allowing our candidates to feel... More

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in August-2017.

Interview

1. Apply Online
    2. Receive email to schedule 15 minute phonecall with Recruiter
    3. In-person 30 minute with Recruiter + Team Lead
    4. Take Home Assignment
    5. Offer
    6. Background check - big alarm bells
    7. Contract signing

I was very excited to work here. Ultimately I declined their offer for one reason - they force you to go through a third-party background check company to complete the criminal record check. I had multiple issues with this, as I didn't want to surrender my identity documents to a third-party company I didn't know or trust. Bench were completely unwilling to go through an ordinary criminal record check with the Vancouver Police Department - which would have given the same results - instead insisting that everyone must go through Checkr. I was essentially offered an ultimatum - go through Checkr, or don't work for us. It was a disgusting way to treat a candidate. I had legitimate concerns about my data and privacy, as this company have carte blance to store and distribute your passport/licence/SIN/Health insurance card etc. to whover, all whilst being based in the States. Something smelt really off with the whole thing... I support and appreciate their need to do a background check, and was 100% willing to do so, as I have nothing to hide. But if it was REALLY and TRULY about a criminal record check, they would have compromised and been okay with me doing it through a conventional route. But no, they insisted - due to "company policy" - that I must use Checkr. Seems like there's a backroom deal to use their software or some dodgy deal. When I raised my legitimate concerns and asked for a further explanation about WHY it has to be done through Checkr and not the police, I couldn't get a straight answer and was told I'm not a good fit for them. Which went completely against what was said in their offer phonecall 3 days previous - that I was a great fit and they were excited for me to work at Bench. So, I was lied to at some point. Pathetic and disgusting unprofessional behavior (coming from someone who's worked in recruiting themselves -we would never treat our candidates like this).

Needless to say, I declined their offer. I have no interest in taking a job with a company that would force me to be uncomfortable, to reject my principles and concerns, to be unwilling to work with me, outright lie to me, and have ZERO transparency. It's a toxic approach and I would discourage EVERYBODY thinking of applying to stay well, well away. If this is how they treat candidates they're willing to extend offers to and want working for them, I dread to think how their employees get treated. I also feel they aren't peddling a good product and the future isn't sustainable for this company, particularly given their culture and approach. Better things out there folks!

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to gain from this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in your career in 2 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with an uncooperative co-worker.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Accounting Associate- Entry Level Interview

Application

Interview

After the online application, Bench contacts you to set up a 15-minute phone interview. They usually let the applicant know within the week. Applicants that pass this process go on to booking an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Bench?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in Accounting?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you turned a negative customer service experience into a positive one.   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a time where you had too much on your plate?   Answer Question
    • What are your 3-year career goals? Where do you see yourself in 3 years?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Applied online - received email asking to setup phone call. Recruiter called on time, phone call lasted 15 minutes. Requested that I come in for an in-person interview in their office the next day.

Junior Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

The recruiter missed our scheduled call time. I tried getting in touch during the time we were supposed to have our phone interview, but could not get ahold of the recruiter. Poor candidate experience, especially for someone in HR. After re-scheduling, I did have the phone interview, and it was fine, basic questions regarding prior experience, why I wanted to work at Bench.

Accounting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

The interview process at Bench was quite relaxed, yet still professional. They say to dress casually in what makes you comfortable; my best advice is to dress well but not overdress. They ask many behaviour interview questions and are looking for a fit over accounting acumen. One thing that is kind of annoying is that when they ask your question, all three people are typing away any of your responses but it can be so loud at times and distracting that you forget where you were going on your response.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a a non-contributing team member and how did you rectify the situation.   Answer Question