Bench Accounting Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 15 Aug, 2017

2.2

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in August-2017.

Interview

1. Apply Online
    2. Receive email to schedule 15 minute phonecall with Recruiter
    3. In-person 30 minute with Recruiter + Team Lead
    4. Take Home Assignment
    5. Offer
    6. Background check - big alarm bells
    7. Contract signing

I was very excited to work here. Ultimately I declined their offer for one reason - they force you to go through a third-party background check company to complete the criminal record check. I had multiple issues with this, as I didn't want to surrender my identity documents to a third-party company I didn't know or trust. Bench were completely unwilling to go through an ordinary criminal record check with the Vancouver Police Department - which would have given the same results - instead insisting that everyone must go through Checkr. I was essentially offered an ultimatum - go through Checkr, or don't work for us. It was a disgusting way to treat a candidate. I had legitimate concerns about my data and privacy, as this company have carte blance to store and distribute your passport/licence/SIN/Health insurance card etc. to whover, all whilst being based in the States. Something smelt really off with the whole thing... I support and appreciate their need to do a background check, and was 100% willing to do so, as I have nothing to hide. But if it was REALLY and TRULY about a criminal record check, they would have compromised and been okay with me doing it through a conventional route. But no, they insisted - due to "company policy" - that I must use Checkr. Seems like there's a backroom deal to use their software or some dodgy deal. When I raised my legitimate concerns and asked for a further explanation about WHY it has to be done through Checkr and not the police, I couldn't get a straight answer and was told I'm not a good fit for them. Which went completely against what was said in their offer phonecall 3 days previous - that I was a great fit and they were excited for me to work at Bench. So, I was lied to at some point. Pathetic and disgusting unprofessional behavior (coming from someone who's worked in recruiting themselves -we would never treat our candidates like this).

Needless to say, I declined their offer. I have no interest in taking a job with a company that would force me to be uncomfortable, to reject my principles and concerns, to be unwilling to work with me, outright lie to me, and have ZERO transparency. It's a toxic approach and I would discourage EVERYBODY thinking of applying to stay well, well away. If this is how they treat candidates they're willing to extend offers to and want working for them, I dread to think how their employees get treated. I also feel they aren't peddling a good product and the future isn't sustainable for this company, particularly given their culture and approach. Better things out there folks!

Interview Questions

• What are you hoping to gain from this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in your career in 2 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with an uncooperative co-worker.   Answer Question
    • When was a time you dealt with a challenging situation at work and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Accounting Associate- Entry Level Interview

Application

Interview

After the online application, Bench contacts you to set up a 15-minute phone interview. They usually let the applicant know within the week. Applicants that pass this process go on to booking an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Bench?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in Accounting?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you turned a negative customer service experience into a positive one.   Answer Question
    • How did you handle a time where you had too much on your plate?   Answer Question
    • What are your 3-year career goals? Where do you see yourself in 3 years?   Answer Question

Junior Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

The recruiter missed our scheduled call time. I tried getting in touch during the time we were supposed to have our phone interview, but could not get ahold of the recruiter. Poor candidate experience, especially for someone in HR. After re-scheduling, I did have the phone interview, and it was fine, basic questions regarding prior experience, why I wanted to work at Bench.

Accounting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

The interview process at Bench was quite relaxed, yet still professional. They say to dress casually in what makes you comfortable; my best advice is to dress well but not overdress. They ask many behaviour interview questions and are looking for a fit over accounting acumen. One thing that is kind of annoying is that when they ask your question, all three people are typing away any of your responses but it can be so loud at times and distracting that you forget where you were going on your response.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a a non-contributing team member and how did you rectify the situation.   Answer Question

Accounting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Submitted an online application and got an email to set up a phone interview. Experience was fine. Interviewer was nice but lacked professionalism.

Typing more to meet the 50 word minimum requirement so that I can submit the review. one two three four five six seven eight nine ten.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in April-2017.

Interview

Phone interview done by what sounded like a 16 year old girl. Easy questions, but interviewer's enthusiasm made me feel like I was a shoe-in. Set me up for disappointment when no offer was made.

Business Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in April-2017.

Interview

I submitted my application online and the next day I was contacted for to schedule a phone interview. The initial phone interview of all the interviews I have had this felt the most conversational and instantly made me feel at ease. The phone interview was basically asking about how I would perform the tasks outlined in the job description. There were no surprise or unusual questions. The next week after the interview I was notified that they would not be proceeding with my application.

Interview Questions

• How would you prospect new partners?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in March-2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website, got an email to schedule a phone interview a few days later. Had a short 15 minute phone interview. Interviewer was a little stiff, clearly reading pre-prepared statements for some of it, and it was easier when she was off-script. They followed up by the end of the week with their decision.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a time when you had too much to do? Why did you apply to us? Describe a time when you were able to provide good customer service.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in March-2017.

Interview

Very straightforward and generic interview process. Applied and was contacted by email a few days later. Phone interview lasted about an hour, asked simple questions like explain a time you dealt with conflict and how you resolved it? In person interview was a bit more detailed and consisted of a panel asking behavioural questions, They didnt ask me anything that wouldve highlighted my qualifications for the job though (which I found odd).

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you dealt with conflict and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bench Accounting (Vancouver, BC) in February-2017.

Interview

Online application then quick phone interview. Came in for a face to face interview with a manager and one of the HR team members. Lastly, a take home assignment was given with 24 hours to complete.

Interview Questions

• What did you in a situation where it was not going to plan?   Answer Question