American Income Life Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

American Income Life Reviews

Updated Jan 26, 2020

4.0
American Income Life Chief Executive Officer, AIL Agency Division Steven K. Greer
Steven K. Greer
Pros
  • "Most importantly (for me)the ability to make a LOT of money(in 101 reviews)

• "You can make a lot of money fast(in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • "Occasional long hours but is explained as necessary to grow experience(in 260 reviews)

• "There is no base pay 100% commission(in 104 reviews)

1. "Fast paced, growing organization with a great work environment!"

Current Employee - Director in Halifax, NS

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

High income, growth, flexibility, freedom, great work environment, full benefits package

Cons

I had to leave the UK to join the company as its primary market is North America

American Income Life2019-11-19
  2. "Truly can’t imagine working anywhere else"

Current Employee - Master General Agent in St. John's, NL

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Since starting at AIL my life has improved drastically both personally and financially. I feel I am much happier because I am continually growing. There’s no cap on opportunity, and promotions are based on pre-set standards, not seniority or prior experience, so anyone can succeed here. I love working with a company that judges me for my potential and what I can do, not what I’ve done. The last three years have been the best years of my life, I will not be leaving anytime soon.

Cons

I have yet to experience anything wrong with this company.

American Income Life2020-01-10
  3. "Commission"

Former Employee - Licensed Life Insurance Agent

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, motivating environment and opportunity to make alot of money, if your good.

Cons

Dont allow them to give you the wrong idea about getting paid. This is an only commission based job. You make money as long as you can sell insurance. They pay you upfront for a full year of that insurance policy, but heads up if that client cancels their policy, they will be getting that back from you.

American Income Life2020-01-16
  4. "Opportunities Unlimited"

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Definitely a place to learn, strong organizational culture, unlimited opportunities. You can make a lot of money if you actually work hard

Cons

Going to clients houses can be uncomfortable, not for everyone

American Income Life2019-12-03
  5. "ok job"

Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at American Income Life part-time

Pros

rewadring if you grind it out

Cons

no base pay or leads system i dont like

American Income Life2019-12-02

"It's a completely different selling situation"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of leads. They will even try to give you leads in the area you request.

Cons

The leads are not really leads. The people just think you are coming over to give them their free benefits. Then you have to sell them something or you don't make any money. These people may not have a need for the products, and they didn't know they were going to be sold something else. Close ratio is much lower than most tradition insurance sales organizations . Cancellation rate from clients is really high. No shows and appointment cancellations are also high. In order to succeed, you need to book a minimum of 5 appointments per day, at least 3 days per week. Remember the no show rate, which means that you would really need to book 20 appointments per week. You realize how much time you spend on the phone to get 20 appointments. You basically live on the phone. Then they want you to prepare 5 different benefit proposals ahead of the appointment for all appointments. So that can be 75 to 100 scenarios per week on top of the telephone time, on top of doing the actual appointment. That's hours per week, even with the software, of prep time. To be a top producer in the office, you better get used to working 7 days a week. The top people brag about working on Christmas day. Yeah, like that's something to brag about. The commissions are not high, as most customers will take maybe a $1,000/year benefit plan and you only get a part of that.

Advice to Management

Perhaps, get support workers to do up the proposals on behalf on the sales force,and perhaps an appointment booking team, so the sales force just does the appointments. Remember that the times people answer the phone are the times they are available for appointments, so you can either be booking appointments on the phone or doing appointments, but you can't be doing both at the same time.

American Income Life2019-12-09

"HUNDREDS of bad BBB claims"

Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC

I worked at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

you will actually get paid so there is that

Cons

Quintessential work on your own dime, fully commission based, push people into contracts, questionable ethics to be successful sales job. I cancelled an interview with a company because they had 40 bad claims against them on the BBB. Look these guys up for yourself. Hundreds of claims against them. The first one read "my plan was only for union members and I'm no longer in the union so I'm not eligible for coverage and destitute and they showed up AT MY House" which they offered a reply and solution to. The reaction from the client was essentially "whatever, I just want this to be done". Keep in mind there is the possibility that is just the nature of the insurance business and people do tend to lash out when its a mix of big sums of money, a time of need, overselling by inexperienced reps and yes, the client being 100% wrong and maybe even know that but refusing to acknowledge it. I get that, but that's best case scenario and it still far to convoluted to allow for most people to be successful. Go for it, be that person, have success with them. It's real, it exists, I know couples that work with similar companies that do better than me by a longshot. They are the exception, not the rule. Just know what you're getting into and be prepared to make nothing after putting time and money into it. Not sure you have the skills network to do this? Work somewhere for $14/hr and you will 100% be in a better position financially, mentally and be able to wait out the search for a job that pays you what your worth.

Advice to Management

Not much you can do. Apart from publicly addressing all of the BBB claims against your business and being proactive about rebuilding a better reputation. I apologize but the number of claims blew me away. I mean no disrespect. I genuinely want your industry to improve and become a viable career for myself and others.

American Income Life2019-12-10
  8. "Amazing culture and leadership"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Halifax, NS

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Protecting working families and awesome culture

Cons

Long hours, but worth it

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

American Income Life2019-10-30

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for AIL is great! I have been here for 2 years now. I love the fact that i get to meet new people every day and my days are not always the same. I have grown as a individual in areas i wouldn't have if i was not working here. The pay structure is amazing & we have full benefits Most importantly is management. They are there to support you and help you every step away. If i did not have there help i wouldn't be where i am today.

Cons

No pay for vaca thats it!

Advice to Management

Doing great job on making the work place comfortable

American Income Life2019-09-30

"Greatest Opportunity when you want to win and change lives"

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at American Income Life full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited growth an income potential. You have the opportunity to write your paycheck every week

Cons

I wouldnt say there are any cons. You do have to work full time 40 hours a week

American Income Life2019-09-30