Shopify Data Science Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 19 of over 1.0k interviews

Recruiter12%
2.8
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON)

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter from Shopify and the process started. First I had an interview with the Hiring Manager about my resume and background. That was quite positive. The second interview was some coding and I did it The third interview was again a coding problem. I did it. I worked well. I passed the tests. The interviewer confirmed that it is the right solution. After the third interview, I got the rejection email. I have no idea why I got the rejection since my code was well organized, following the naming conventions correctly, and working exactly as expected. The interview system is broken.

Interview Questions
  • Some average two-dimensional array problem
    Answer Question

Shopify

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Coding assessment on coderpad - leetcode easy-medium questions, nothing too complicated Life Story with recruiter, similar to behavioural interviews Pair programming with a member of the team, you can use online resources in this step

Interview Questions
  • coding questions, life story, tell me about yourself, why shopify etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (London, England, England) in Jan 2021

Interview

I had a call with the hiring manager. The hiring manager conveyed a sense that the company had a friendly work environment. The manager then asked about my work experience and about the types of problems I like solving at work. We then discussed the types of work and tasks on this particular job.

Interview Questions
  • What are example projects I've worked on?
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

First a phone screen with recruiter followed by a coding challenge and a live story. A week later several interviews (coding challenge, problem solving, technical deep dive). A lot of interviews but worth it at the end.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Very cumbersome interview process. Started with a HR screening (pretty standard questions on past experience, skills, interest, etc), then a coding exercise on CoderPad, then a life story interview, followed by another technical screening.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Create a simple string manipulation function in Python 2. Tell us your life story 3. Code Conway's game of life in Python
9 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify

Interview

Too extensive process compared to the brand value. They somehow started to consider themselves as the best employer. 1 Life Story, 1 coding exercise, 2 pair programming, 1 technical deepdive and 1 problem solving. Interviewee or Recruiter might lure you by recording wrong responses. It's not worth spending time for the interview process. Juniors can interview seniors and record wrong responses when they actually made an error. Would never interview for them again. There are many more great companies who respect candidates time and have better and open work culture. Managers and recruiters has their own egos if you deny them. Extremely small mentality mindset company with bad interview ethics. Interviewing with multiple people on the team I realized DS were mostly glorified DAs. Offer was not great as well for my profile.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your background etc...
15 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I interviewed at Shopify in Jul 2020

Interview

TL;DR avoid Shopify. There are a lot better companies out there. I should have read the Glassdoor feedback here before even starting the interview process. Yes, it was indeed a waste of time. I had to contact the recruiter multiple times to get feedback, otherwise they would have happily ignored me, after having interviewed, without telling me the interview outcome. Very, very unprofessional. Recruiter contacted me and chatted about about my background and why I was interested in Shopify. At the end of that conversation she was trying to get expected salary info from me, which I pointed out is an illegal question to ask in the State I live in. That was awkward, but I had to stand up for myself. I had then a 1h technical interview and then puff, nothing for a while. Disappeared. After some pings the recruiter bothers to get back to me with the template regret answer. Such an unprofessional way to manage relationship.

Interview Questions
  • Algorithmic question using Python. Some basic operation on a list with a few corner cases to think about.
5 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON) in Jul 2020

Interview

The process started off on the wrong foot, the phone connection was spotty and the recruiter was very aggressive, it felt like I was being bullied over the phone. I had one tech screen after where they asked a Python leetcode question which they admitted had zero relevance to the actual job at hand. Waste of time.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Shopify in Jun 2020

Interview

Overall, the people I spoke with were very nice, so I can't say it was a negative experience, but I get the feeling that the Data Scientist role here is more of a Data Analyst role. There were a lot of analytics-type questions, but very minimal probing of technical skills during the interview. I feel like as long as you are strong at analytics, say the right things, and don't challenge anyone during the interview, you should be fine. Some of the leads have strong backgrounds and skillsets, but others have limited experience, both technically and in management.

Interview Questions
  • Analytics questions such as, how do you know if this product is successful
2 people found this interview helpful

Shopify

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Shopify in Apr 2020

Interview

The interview process was too long ! Life story, One coding test and two pair programming , one deep dive and one problem solving ! They are not considerate of applicants time. I had a negative experience all in all. Absolute waste of time.

Interview Questions
3 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Interviews