Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Microsoft Software Development Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

After resume shortlisting, had one on campus interview for around 30 minutes. Qualified after that ,went to Redmond for an onsite interview. Had 3 rounds. The team was Office. They looked after Office365 and Skype mainly. All rounds started with brief introduction about them followed by questions on my resume and then getting on to the coding problem.

Interview Questions

• Given a character 2D array, find an input string is present or not. (Like crossword puzzle) The string lettershad to be in a straight line.   2 Answers
  • Given two rectangles, find if overlapping or not?   2 Answers
  • Return sum of the largest two numbers in an array. (or largest sum of 2 nos)   2 Answers
  • Find the collision point of 2 linked lists   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Was asked multiple question about improving the complexity of one question. The interviewer only gave me positive feedback and I asked him if the answer I gave him made sense to him, to which he answered "yes". Still I got a rejection email saying "I'm not a good fit". Discussed it with some friends and it made sense to them also but I don't what else the interviewer was looking for in a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Find the first unique character in a string. Improve complexity   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Standard interview questions. Not too difficult. They also wanted to see how good fit you would be for the team. I met with various potential team members. They really like to see your experience and if your skills match up to the position. Interviewers were nice. It took about 2 weeks to get a job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January 2011.

Interview

6 people interviewed me. Took about 8 hours. Talk to the main manager at the end. Not sure why I wasn't offered the job. How to test a random number generator.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview I had was with a college recruiter, which went well. It was more behavioral in nature. I was contacted back about a month later and told I had the opportunity for a second-round interview at their headquarters in Seattle. There were four interviews asking about coding questions. I feel the first interview was the most important and I hear this is how they gauge your skill level and will communicate this to your next interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from their office in Redmond and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The interview included short answer technical questions to behavioural and problem solving questions. No coding questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Flown up to MS office in Seattle in a hotel for 3 days. The experience itself was nice but the method of interviewing wasn't that great. The interviewers are from specific teams so getting hired is a crapshoot as the team may be hiring 1 or 8 people and it totally depends. Also there is no committee or discussion so it is dependent on whether the specific interviewer liked you.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a 20 questions game   1 Answer
    • Find greatest triplet sum   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Easy interview, contacted by recruiter and set up interview. Interview was relaxed, one on one with a guy. Asked me to write code, asked me about resume. I don't think the first round is supposed to be very hard but I messed up on one of the technical questions.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Attended on campus code competition, then submitted resume to the campus recruiter. Scheduled an on campus interview, 30 minutes. After one week got an on-site interview with 4 engineers. Received feedback within several days. In each interview been asked several normal behavior questions, and some coding questions, except the last one given a design question.

Interview Questions

• All but the last one were super straight-forward. The last one was about designing and finding problems in a mass-system.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not really negotiated.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a campus career fair. The recruiter contacted me within two weeks to set up an on campus interview. The email containing the interview sign up also contained a list of books and websites to help prepare for the interview. The interview itself was a half hour long. The interviewer asked me to talk a little bit about my classes and projects, which I did for seven minutes. The rest of the time was spent in working out a technical problem. I first discussed my ideas with the interviewer, who then told me what he liked and did not like and then asked me to write down some code. I heard back from the recruiter a week later informing me that I had made it to the next round, which has not taken place yet.

Interview Questions

• The technical question was related to data structures and sorting.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.