Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Microsoft Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2012.

Interview

As internal interview process, I had only 3 interviews to go through. But when I joined as SDE 15 years ago, it was quite different. They usually schedule first 3 interview loops. If all 3 interviews goes well, then it will proceed to 2 more interviews. Usually last interview is by hiring manager and he will sometimes ask tough question, but most likely it is just formality.

Interview Questions

• Read XML file and create N-array tree   3 Answers
  • Given graph with two dimensional array, some positions will set to 1 and others will be set to 0. find number of continuous islands.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Setup a phone interview with 3 different groups and 2 groups wanted to bring me on site for a final interview.

On-Site Interview with Group # 1:
    Hiring manager expressed his desire openly to hire me at the end of an interview and he asked to meet the director (he was not on my interview schedule). It was a clear sign that they will extend me an offer based on hiring manager's feedback. But they disappeared completely after an on-site interview. Recruiter did not even bother to email me saying I am rejected. Totally unprofessional behavior after the interview.

Group # 2
    Hiring manager was totally unprofessional. After each interview with his team members, he asked me to wait outside conference room and checked with the interviewer how I performed. One of the interviewer did not even book a conference room for an interview, instead he walked me over their entire building to find a break room where we can sit and discuss. Eventually he found an open floor white board where tons of ppl walk by every minute and he asked me to write a code on that white board while other ppl walking by looking at what I am doing. Really? I work in Fortune 100 company but never seen this type of unprofessional interview. I totally hate the hiring manager and the group, so I was not expecting to get a positive response from this group.

Overall Microsoft has a tendency to interview tons of ppl but that does not necessarily mean they are actively looking to hire someone right away. So don't go with a feeling that you will get an offer if you are prepared. I think I did exceptionally well with Group # 1 (technically, behavior, leadership and management discussions) but they disappeared completely.

I had a totally unprofessional on-site interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Resume, Technical, Behavioral, Leadership and Management   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via employee referral process. After phone call with Dev Lead I managed to fly to Redmond. It was 3 round interview loop in one day, second day I received offer.

Interview Questions

• coding on white table (data structures), solution architecture related questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Sr. Software Engineer position in azure group and got a call within a month. The recruiter arranged for a phone interview which consisted of couple of technical questions which I answered perfectly within an hour. Everything went well from my end but to my disappointment I did not hear back neither from the recruiter nor the interviewer. I have interviewed for more than 5 times and did really good in almost all of them but no response whatsoever. I just don't get how things roll in this company! No communication or feedback, an absolute disrespect for candidates time. What kind of insecure people are interviewing candidates here? I hope the manager or a shadow person was present with the interview so as to minimize such bias. I hope this actually is taken up by the HR and good talent is not lost due to some insecure people at the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Had an initial interview with a recruiter. Then had a tech screen (phone interview), followed by an on-site interview with 3 engineering leads followed by an interview by the manager. Happened on Friday, got the offer on following Monday.
    Incredibly professional, engaging and challenging. Learnt quite a bit about myself in the process. Got to give it to Microsoft!
    From the arrangements (Flight/Hotel etc.) to the actual interviews, it was a genuine pleasure. Highly recommend the experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions on design patterns. Design system for a hypothetical e-commerce store...entities...design it to be distributed.   1 Answer
    • Print a matrix in spiral fashion...so
      Matrix input example (Arrows indicate how the spiral happens...start at first arrow go in circle and move to next arrow...etc.)
      ->1 1 1 1 1
         1 -> 2 2 2 1
         1 2 2 2 1
         1 1 1 1 1

Output: 11111111111111222222   1 Answer
    • Clone a linked list that has a cycle (do not fix the cycle). Is there a way to uniquely identify a node without relying on a hash code?   1 Answer
    • a) Develop a XML parser (rules: Node closures and single root node..i.e. root node cannot be duplicated in structure).
      b) Count occurrences of words in a string (with string too large to be processed in memory).   1 Answer
    • a) Develop LRU cache
      b) Design distribute file storage system with load balancing and fail-safes (machine taken offline or new machine/node added)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

Usually there are six rounds of interviews. First round is kind of technical screening and next two rounds of technical problem solving questions. Two more rounds for design questions and finally a discussion with the manager or skip level.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

There were overall 3 interviews as I am an internal candidate. First two were focused on data structures, the third one is about a design. Total 3 hours for interviews. The questions were related to Graph theory and dynamic programming in data structures area. The design question was related to building scalable notification system. Interviewers asked for recent experiences and challenges and also the reason for looking for change. The questions were closely related to the problems the teams are working on.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions are:1. How do you find if a directed graph is a tree and code for it?
      2. Dynamic programming - 5 Painters to paint homes at the least cost - given different cost for painting with different colors(3 choice colors). Conditon: No adjacent homes in the 5 houses that are in a row can't have same color.
      3. Design a scalable notification system.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

A recruiter called me to schedule a phone screen technical interview with a developer team lead. The technical interview was supposed to be an hour but lasted an hour and a half; the team lead was very interested in my project work, and the overall impression was very positive, even though no coding was tested during the phone screen. Before I stepped into the office, I got the e-mail request for me to fly to Seattle and meet the team the following week. Scheduling was very easy to work with and I had no issues getting to Seattle; a rental car was even booked for me, and meals and parking can be expensed. The first interview was with the recruiter, who was very friendly and provided some insightful information on how the interviews work and a schedule with the people I would meet. She also mentioned that there were multiple teams monitoring these interviews and that if I did well in the interviews there would be additional interviews that were not on the schedule. While there was a lunch interview that was a bit more casual (no whiteboard = no coding), I didn't let my guard down; all other interviews were highly technical and required coding or analyzing code. I eventually met double the number of people I was scheduled for and the interviews lasted 7 hours. It was a gruelling day, and one interviewer asked me questions outside of my knowledge zone, but it was extremely insightful as to the difficulty level of a first-tier software tech company interview, and I learned a lot of what was being expected at Microsoft.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Normal phone screening first and then the full interview loop. Completed three rounds which comprises of all algorithms on linked list and binary search tree in the first two interviews and then in the third interview about the design question.

Interview Questions

• Question on linked list and binary search tree.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

Interview

Unlike other comparable companies, Microsoft seems to do extra work for finding out the right interviewer who can correctly evaluate and investigate your capability. Although I couldn't make it, the interview with Microsoft was one of the most pleasant interviews. The interviewer showed a lot of interest in and asked about my past works.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked all the work that I described in my resume.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.