Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in April-2010.

Interview

First round was a phone interview through university recruiting (behavioral questions). Got the results within two weeks that I made the cut. Then the long wait began... Months later, I finally got another call for the second round on-site interview in Redmond, WA. In Redmond, they got me a rental car and nice hotel. Very beautiful city... I had a total of 4 interviews. The first was non-technical, but the rest were technical. So be prepared to code. The people working there were nice and they seem to have flexible work schedules.

Interview Questions

• A situation of a technical problem encountered years ago, and figure out a way to solve it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Mountain View, CA (US)) in June-2008.

Interview

I sent in my resume via my university's internship office. I waited 2 weeks before they first contacted me. First they did a phone interview consisting of one soft-question (about a past project) and a few technical questions. I was presented with data on a Live NetMeeting session and had to identify the relationship between data items, and later code a procedure that processes data according to the given relationship. After the phone interview I waited around 4 days before they contacted me again for an on-site interview. I already had another offer that I had to respond to, so they were kind enough and made special arrangements to speed-up the process on their end. I interviewed with 4 people from the team I would be working with from 1st level PMs & devs to the product unit manager. Only one person asked behavioral questions, while everybody else asked mostly background questions.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from your work on X? Did anything go wrong? What did you do about it and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is non-negotiable for internships, but I had an offer for a similar position from a major telecom and that might have helped in making the decision to hire me.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February-2008.

Interview

Received email from recruiter to see if I was interested on interviewing. First call from HR representative, mostly general career / C.V. related questions, very little technical questions. Invited to fly to Redmond campus for a full day of interviews. 5 different people, all program managers asking questions from widely different subjects like Databases, Networking, Problem Solving, UI design. Very exciting interview experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail all the steps that happen from the time you type www.microsoft.com in your internet browser until you receive the page back. Now add all details in case this were a secure page.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December-2011.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Asked:
      - tell me about yourself
      - design a dictionary (what structure/methods would you use)
      - what's your favorite Microsoft product / what do you use the most
      - what are three things you'd improve on it.
    Second round flew to Seattle for Four Interviews in one-day: (all ambiguous design questions)
      - design a Mobile App for a workout facility that improves client engagement
      - design a real-time App that pulls in data, but has a small bandwidth connection
      - design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)
      - design a website that sells tickets (front & back end)

Interview Questions

• design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December-2011.

Interview

After the on-campus interviews, I was selected to take part in an on-campus interview. They flew me out to Redmond and provided hotel and food costs. There were a couple dozen other people interviewing that day at the same time, though best I could tell everyone was interviewing with different groups within Microsoft. I interview with the Office group.

As the position was a Program Manager, I got asked mainly design-related questions. I interviewed with four people: three managers and one PM. Whiteboards were provided to show my thought processes and work; the interviewers were more interested in hearing me work through the problem than if I reached the "right" solution, though I'm sure that's still important. Each interview was about an hour long, and there was a little downtime between them.

I had issues (apparently) with seeing the big picture when designing a solution and had a tendency to get hung up on details that are unimportant during design.

I was not offered a position at the end of it, though the experience was overall very positive. The whole process took about 6 hours, and was mentally exhausting.

Some of the questions I was asked:
    1. Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.
    2. Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.
    3. Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.
    4. Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.
    5. Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.

Interview Questions

• Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.   1 Answer
    • Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.   Answer Question
    • Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.   1 Answer
    • Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.   2 Answers

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in November-2011.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview that was essentially all fit, got an on-site through that. On-site interview was with Windows group, 4 back to back. Was asked coding questions in 2 of them, including one about writing a program in C++ to do matrix multiplication.

One interviewer was extremely rude, ridiculing my answers to all of his fit questions and giving me an extremely vague coding question about how to program an elevator control unit. Got upset when I asked him for details about the specs.

Interview Questions

• Write me a program to perform matrix multiplication of two square matrices   Answer Question
    • Design and code for me an elevator control unit   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November-2011.

Interview

I submitted my Resume at a Career Fair and got contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. That was all business as usual. I then got invited out to the Microsoft campus to do a series of interviews (I was told between 3-5 for intern interviews). All expenses paid, etc.

Overall pretty solid. Third interview was the hardest and I think is the one that prevented me from getting an offer.

Fourth interview asked me a lot of questions related to vision/the future which I thought was interesting. Unfortunately, she only gave me a little over half the time of a regular interview because she had to go to a meeting or something. Unfortunate and frustrating because I felt rushed and don't think I was able to fully make up my lackluster performance from the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Design app to let students say what classes they've attended that week   Answer Question
    • Retirement home gets 100 tablets. What do you do with them?   Answer Question
    • Design "find a person" website to find Ellis Island immigrants   Answer Question
    • What does a college dorm look like in 10 years?   1 Answer
    • What big thing do you want to be involved in at Microsoft?   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December-2010.

Interview

For the on-site interview in Redmond I interviewed during one of the mass-interview days for the Windows/Windows Live group. I was interviewed by 4 employees. One was behavioral and the other three were mostly design questions. No programming. My group was given a campus tour and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights. Microsoft pays for food, transportation, etc. I found out the results on the same day.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in April-2014.

Interview

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions

• You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in January-2013.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by four interviews in Redmond. First three went well and got to the hiring manager. The fourth one went well too, I thought. Got an email a few days later telling me that I was to be offered the position. On the day the offer was supposed to come, the recruiter called me and told me there was either a mistake made or the hiring manager changed his stance since she last checked. Thus, I was not offered the position. Then I was told that they were flying me back out for interviews with another team. I waited two weeks and sent emails, but then received an email back saying that they had filled all their PM positions for the summer. Heartbroken was an understatement as the company was very high on my list of places where I would want to intern over the summer.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.