MDA Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at MDA

2.5

Ingénieur Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MDA (Toronto, ON).

Interview

L'entretien a duré en tout 4 heures, dont 3h d'entretien technique.
    L'échange avec l'ingénieur était fort intéressant mais la dernière partie avec le service RH était plus que traumatisante: la dame n'avait aucun respect pour moi et a juste dénigré mon profil, pourtant valorisé par l'ingénieur.
    Pour le volet technique, il n'y avait pas vraiment de questions pièges.

Interview Questions

• RH: Combien vous donnerez vous sur 10 pour l'entretien technique? Et qu'est-ce qui fait que ce ne soit pas 10/10?   1 Answer

Software Dev Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDA in April 2019.

Interview

Chaotic over webcam without a way to type/share screen. Interviewers always trying to oversimplify and look down upon my projects (calling GAN networks "find and present from sample"). "Technical questions" are mostly brain twisters and has nothing to do with the job posting.

Interview Questions

• How do you use "foreign key" in a select statement?   1 Answer

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MDA (Pasadena, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Initial contact and phone conversation were smooth and congenial. I was able to schedule an in-person interview within two weeks of initial contact. Shortly after arriving for my interview I discovered that the person with whom I had been conversing was suddenly no longer with the company and I would not be meeting with them (obviously). This concerned me somewhat and I could not get an answer from anyone regarding this sudden, seemingly unplanned departure.

A succession of one-on-one interviews lasted for the greater portion of the day. They graciously treated me to a wonderful lunch. Most people that I spoke with were nice and candid with their feedback. Work sounded interesting and I was definitely excited about the opportunity and how well the process was going. However, the last person with whom I meant was from a different organization (SSL) and was starkly different than everyone else with whom I had spoken. I seemed to immediately not fit the mold that this person had in mind for this position and my answers did little to dissuade them from their preconceived notions about me.

So despite what I felt were positive interactions with at least six other people within MDA (and two remotely via WebEx) along with a good reference from someone who had worked there, I was not offered the position. In fact, I was never contacted by anyone at MDA again. After several weeks of silence, I reached out to the HR person with whom I had scheduled the interview to solicit some feedback. Even if they didn't want to hire me, I was genuinely interested in hearing what they had to say. She never replied. This silence was quite surprising to me and struck me as unprofessional for an organization of this caliber. This was not at all what I had expected based on my research of MDA US.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation within your team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at MDA (Detroit, MI (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview was over the phone. First with a recruiter who asked me about myself and told me about the interviewing process. Then a technical one with a software engineer- he asked me over the phone about my work history and then just gave me examples of different scenarios and how I would address them

Interview Questions

• They asked me about the company, and how much I knew   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Interview

Started with a phone interview with standard interview questions and some about threading. This was followed up by a 3 hour in house interview which consisted of multiple 30 minute interviews with the team. Interview questions were again very standard questions involving sorting and classes and inheritance.

Interview Questions

• Perform a transformation to an image that is too large to fit in memory.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ypsilanti, MI (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MDA (Ypsilanti, MI (US)) in August 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in-person interview. The phone interview was set up by a recruiter who called and asked if I was interested. The phone interview was with two people. Then the in-person interview was with several people, all were just trying to find out my skill set to see if it aligned with the job position. No trick questions.

Interview Questions

• No trick question, just got to know me and I got to know about the company   Answer Question

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MDA (Halifax, NS) in July 2020.

Interview

Was first contacted through email to setup an interview with the recruiter from MDA. Had a call to discuss what MDA was about and the location of the job; nothing too specific.

When getting to the compensation expectations the recruiters said that I'd most likely be making less money than other co-ops (interns) because I am in college instead of university, even though my skills and experience are equal if not extraordinarily better than the other interns. My diploma was used as an excuse to offer me a lower wage. Disgusting.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about MDA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MDA.

Interview

Very long, very vague information about the positon and about the working environment.

Very hard to get a straight answer and very long recruiting process.

It takes 4 weeks at least to get you an offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experience and my skill set.   1 Answer

HR Specialist Interview

Interview

I was extremely passionate about this company as a kid growing up in Canada (these people worked on the Canadarm and nowadays they got funding for the Canadarm 3!), but man was I disappointed at how they do interviews and treat their employees.
    I was first contacted by HR for a “screening interview”, but it was the most poorly made interview I’ve ever seen. You know when you fill out forms for applying to jobs on your computer, how they ask you things like “rate your proficiency with Word!” and “are you legally able to work in Canada?”. Well the screening interview was just that for an hour, nothing about the role, she wouldn’t answer those kinds of questions at all, I was just answering their questions so they can’t get sued or whatever. It was so silly, she asked me to rate basic programs like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc, and I kept giving myself the maximum rating. It’s so silly, who doesn’t know these programs? I’ve been using Word since Windows 3.0… And she’s acting all excited, “WOW you sure are giving yourself some high ratings!” and I think to myself who wouldn’t? What a terrible interview.
    Worst is they kept acting desperate, saying “We need to hire someone by the end of the week! NOW NOW NOW” and they booked an interview the next day or two, yet after the interview I ask for feedback, I never hear back, I only get a copy/pasted generic “your resume was strong but not strong enough due to the pool of candidates!” and this is about a month after the interview date, with no responses afterwards which is really sad, I wanted to make a connection and maybe I could’ve gotten a different position for the company but they seemed to really want to burn bridges,
    The in-person interview was really silly, the people I was told I’d be meeting weren’t even there, I had to wait an extra half hour because the lady wanted to get Starbucks even though this meeting was planned in advance (weather, traffic etc were perfect), and it was a lot of generic questions and it was clear they had other people in mind already, which is depressing because I’ve worked for many of these kinds of space and defense companies before and have active clearance, I know how to write proposals that can make millions, natively speak English, etc.
    What’s the worst though is they left a lot of proprietary confidential information just lying on their whiteboard? So you need to pass through this building with TSA style security, get your visitor badge, sign in, etc but what’s literally the point of spending so much money and time doing this if I can just reverse engineer everything because your employee didn’t erase your whiteboard before an interview? So silly and backwards. I went on a vacation later and met another former MDA employee on the plane, and man he talked about the old days and told me how the new MDA is nothing like the old MDA. Really a wakeup call. Apply elsewhere!

Software Engineer (Co-op) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MDA (Vancouver, BC) in October 2019.

Interview

Facts:
    HR emailed me to setup an appointment for a phone interview.
    HR called me 20 minutes later than the appointed time.
    I asked HR if this interview counted towards the other job postings.
    HR judges my 3 years of work experience as "currently only suitable for co-op".

HR asked me what was my expected salary range.
    I said the market average. HR said they can't do that.
    I asked if I can even negotiate, she said no.
    Proceeds to tell me "well, I guess the interview is over then".

Conclusion:
    Not only were they late by 20 minutes, but the whole conversation felt snarky and hostile.
    Maybe HR interactions in MDA never gets audited at all.

Did not enjoy a single bit of the MDA interview experience.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.