MDA Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
MDA Group President, MDA Mike Greenley
Mike Greenley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work is interesting and keeps employees engaged" (in 13 reviews)

• "I feel that they promote work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay compared to other organizations in Vancouver" (in 9 reviews)

• "Massive purge of upper management occurred to detoxify the culture" (in 8 reviews)

"IT Team Manager"

Current Employee - IT Team Manager in Halifax, NS
    Current Employee - IT Team Manager in Halifax, NS

I have been working at MDA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and casual work environment

Cons

Great technical work but customers can establish tight deadlines to deliver

"S/W Engineer"

I worked at MDA full-time

Pros

Interesting work if you can find it.

Cons

Shoehorned advancement to management, no technical path. Poor HR support moving to new projects.

"Staff Software Engineer"

I worked at MDA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flexible, low pressure, work life balanced.

Cons

old technique, low pay, too much politics

Advice to Management

reduce management cost and pay bonus to performers.

"Bad place for engineers"

I have been working at MDA full-time

Pros

There are some great people working as team leads that are the redeeming factor of the company. If you're lucky enough to get a good team lead, your time here could be okay.

Work life balance tends to be really good. Working late seems to be a rare occurrence on most teams

Cons

Very little - No technical training. Starting here as a new hire or starting a new project can be extremely overwhelming. You're basically given a task and thrown into a stack/codebase with very little context or explanation. This combined with low employee retention means that there are often projects where even the senior engineers don't know how anything works. Often the "expert" on the system was given just a little training as you got, and you're all just reverse engineering some monolithic codebase.

Constantly changing specs and priorities. Expect to be given work before the design phase is complete, thus repeating it again later. Expect to have high priority tasks come out of nowhere on a weekly basis and throw off your whole timeline.

Low pay. This generally sucks if you're an employee. But also has the side effect of causing alot of people to leave, so many old systems have none of the original people left who worked on them (a big cause of confusion). Management has been "looking into salary adjustments" for the last 2 years, but those adjustments are always 6 months away, ad infinitum. One can only hope they'll conclude their salary market research sometime in the next decade.

Advice to Management

Train your employees more, or pay your employees more. You can't do neither. Low employee retention combined with low career development leads to an entire hierarchy of confused engineers. Everyone who knows how your systems work is leaving, and they're being replaced with people tasked with reverse engineering what they left behind.

"It was alright I guess"

I worked at MDA part-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Must speak french which is painfull

"Good and getting better"

Current Employee - Senior Front-End Engineer in Halifax, NS
    Current Employee - Senior Front-End Engineer in Halifax, NS

I have been working at MDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I wanted to point out that I'm writing this somewhat in response to another review I saw on here about the halifax office. I felt it was pretty unfair. That review really took the mickey out of this place and it seemed a lot more enflamed than it should have been. Yes there are problems here, but what place doesn't have those?

The style of work can be pretty intense and in every organization that tackles big projects there will be periods of frustration and there can be friction. Having said that, and speakign quite honestly, I have not seen bullying or harrassement, and I feel I've been pretty involved with some of the more intense conversations that happened late last year. I came in when there was a lot to tackle all at once and people had to work fast to address everything.

In terms of the pros I currently see here... Pay is good for Halifax, and the benefits are better than almost all of the other high-tech companies around here. The flex-time feature is excellent as well. The culture here is a mix of casual and serious, but friendly nonetheless. So far the dev teams are supportive of eachother, and everybody is very smart. I get the same feeling about the other teams here as well even though I don't work with them. There's a lot of growth in terms of business and employees, plus the management clearly understands that there's risk in growing both at the same time so they're looking very carefully at the near and long term planning for the office. There's a ton of room to grow here for mid-range and even senior technical people, and there's an open approach to embracing new technology as best as possible in the team I'm currently in. I get the feeling that that's pretty common where possible. Free parking at the office is also very nice.

Cons

The cons of the Halifax office, hmm. The current office is old, and feels like a maze. It takes awhile to get used to. It also feels fairly dry in terms of recreational features compared to other offices in the city. In terms of work, there is a lack of solid process in some areas, especially around some of the projects though there's a very strong awareness of that and people are actively addressing it. Orientation/onboarding is extremely rapid and people need to be self-sufficient, but "old-hands" are supportive of helping people get moving and answering questions. Lastly, the current location in burnside is in a very tricky spot for traffic.

Advice to Management

I think you're on the right track... I think the best thing to keep in mind is keeping a careful eye on growth, and keep encouraging improvements to the culture in order to make new hires feel supported and welcome. A proper orientation process for each project is going to help that a lot.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, BC

I have been working at MDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable environment
    Good colleagues
    Cafeteria on the building

Cons

Salary less than the average
    Old engineer methods

8. "Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Richmond, BC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Richmond, BC

I worked at MDA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They teach some good software engineering processes and the domain is very interesting. Great people too.

Cons

The pace of innovation is quite slow. Salaries are a bit low, but the flex-time policy was great.

Advice to Management

Invest more in innovation.

9. "Good place for junior engineers"

I have been working at MDA full-time

Pros

Learn about process and discipline. Interesting work with multiple projects and domain. Lots of talented people to work with.

Cons

Poor communication company wide (outside project level). Lack of career development at senior level.

"Stay away too unstable"

I have been working at MDA full-time

Pros

The people that work here are fantastic but they are leaving

Cons

Uncertainty about the companies future, stocks are the toilet