Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A supportive CEO that supports the work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance in sales positions (in 19 reviews)

• PAC also has long hours and works weekends and holidays so it can be hard to get the time off you want and the schedule does not work for everyone (in 11 reviews)

"Great & Continues to improve"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

One of the best places i've ever worked - i'm treated like an adult and given the resources and support to do my job. I also like how transparent they are about what we're working on and that the CEO encourages honest feedback from people.

Most of the people i've met so far have been lovely, without ego and focused on helping each other (bar one or two who've been here a few years and throw their seniority around behind management's back)

Cons

Continue to be transparent with plans. Sometimes information takes time to trickle down.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - incorporating employee feedback and listening to the lifeblood of your business - the people! Continue to ensure that those in leadership positions are the right people, there are a few narcissistic/self-serving people in the management/executive sphere that are not team players but because they're good at their roles, the behavior is let slide.

10 May, 2017 – COO

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you are happy here and feel supported. Feel free to reach out directly if you'd like to share any specifics on what we can be doing better. - Amy (COO)... More

2. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-culture is amazing
    -surrounded by positive people
    -world class leadership
    -come to work excited, motivated, determined
    -challenged to reach goals
    -super transparent about expectations and hard work needed

The culture at Zillow far exceeds anything I’ve ever been apart of. I am surrounded with an amazing team of positive people that want to think fast, move big and the leadership is world class here.

I’ve learned more from Zillow in the short time I’ve worked here than 4 years in college at a good university. I’m still amazed I work here and that I have such a great opportunity to be with an amazing company. I will continue to give everything I have to Zillow and more because of the time and effort they put in with me to make sure I am in the best position possible to succeed. I can’t see myself working for any other company.

To put in perspective with how transparent company is. In my first month, I’ve seen the CEO, Spencer Rascoff, speak in person 3 times, had a Skype call with the CBO and the COO and we also had an hour sit down with the VP of Sales and he really wanted to take time and get to know us. Absolutely incredible!

Cons

I’ve noticed the training classes are all different on the end procedure. I saw most newer classes go to “training bay” right after our 2 weeks course. My class didn’t get that consistent help right off the bat so it took me a little longer to get the hang of the systems being newer into sales.

I came in at the end of the year at a time where a lot of transitions where happening because of growth (good problem). When I came out of training, there was a lot of change so I had no direct management. They were reassigning teams and it was towards the holidays so I completely understand why it was chaotic.

Advice to Management

Keep all the sales training going. I love all the sales trainings and meetings, and know that I really benefit from everything upper management says because I trust them. I know they want me to succeed and I can tell they put effort into every meeting and presentation. Thank you !

I get activity is very important into getting more mrr but sometimes I feel like we rush through a lot of agents because we are trying to dial so much to get the best activity. Seems like we lose sight of the little details of our clients and more on getting high activity to set up as many presentations as possible.

3. "Hands Down the BEST Company I Have Worked For"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left Zillow Group in Jan., 2018, only because I was moving. Putting in my notice was a very hard day for me. This company knows how to take care of their employees, and with how big the company is, they do a great job of providing undivided attention to your needs. They work hard to make sure you know about personal growth within the company. All the managers, leads, CEO; etc are easy to approach and communicate with. This company cares! Every department continues to expand and change, as well; which is great because you are able to continue that growth within your own department. In my opinion, this company deserves more than a five-star rating. Would I ever go back to Zillow? Absolutely!

Cons

They don't have an office in Dallas, Texas! Please get one!!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Zillow Response

23 Feb, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

With a review like that, maybe we will now GET an office in Dallas!

Thanks for the great review. I'm sorry we lost you to your move. I'm glad you had such a great experience here, and hopefully... More

5. "New job after 8 years"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, lots of perks. People are left to find the best way to do their role. Not alot of structure but plenty of system infrastructure.

Cons

small desks, open floor plan can be noisy.

6. "Best job ever"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Snacks , drinks, health insurance day 1 , pay

Cons

Stress , nothing else at all

7. "Client Engagement Specialist"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, open kitchen on multiple floors, friendly atmosphere, safe place to work, opportunity to create something new or start a project with a team, game room a plus, amenities were great!

Cons

Leaving a department is incredibly hard, movement in the company is difficult, department leads play favorite, people 'work' the system to cheat and meet goals, lots of gossip. Can feel very isolating, and work life balance in some departments is unfair. You have to pay to park at your own job daily.

Advice to Management

At least pay for parking, and have the culture committee think of all employees not just select departments.

"Great company, no other like it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat you like a person, not an employee. That's reflected in the benefits and how management approaches employees, no yelling and screaming about challenges, just collaboration and ideas.
    The office environment is very fun, and expansive (can only speak for Seattle). It is a very challenging company due to the pace and ingenuity around every corner, which is awesome.
    If you apply yourself, you'll go some where. Yes, office politics exist, but generally it's a meritocracy.

Cons

It's hard to write cons because I genuinely enjoy the company. But first off, if you're a recovering alcoholic, STAY AWAY, or have your sponsor on speed dial. Unsecured booze is in every corner of EVERY floor, stashed in closets, in every fridge with teams taking jellow shots in public kitchens. It's very hard to deal with in sobriety. Almost every event has booze, morale events are at bars, gifts are generally booze etc. Be firm in your sobriety or do not work here.
    Lastly, this is a company of affluent people, who are generally from affluent backgrounds. If you're from the poor side of things, and still have the chip on your shoulder, don't work here. Example, a room full of people (80+) laughing about someone being in prison. Disgusting. Often the experiences of the poor are mocked and minimized because hey, they can't buy houses.

Advice to Management

Beware nepotism. The generous referral program has created cliques that act in ways unbecoming of the core values. Give everyone DTO, having PTO and DTO creates an us and them culture.
    Also, I know our family benefits are top notch, but if you want to own the PR cycle for a bit, offer daycare benefits. Slam dunk.

29 Jan, 2018 – CPO

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced review. It is great to hear your positive experiences. I would love to discuss your concerns further, please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com . We... More

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and vision on how to help home shoppers find the right home.

Cons

None that I can think of

Zillow Response

24 Jan, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your great review. Made my day.

10. "Sales"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great location and benefits. It can be a fun atmosphere but successful sales staff rarely are able to participate in the events. Too busy trying to hit quota to enjoy "Z-Life".

Cons

It seems that you must be a male to be promoted, regardless of experience or production. Very little work/life balance in sales positions. I worked a ridiculous amount of overtime without receiving compensation because it was necessary and encouraged.

7 Feb, 2018 – CPO

Thanks for your review. While hitting targets is challenging we have number of resources and tools to help our sales team be successful. We also have a number of processes to catch bias in the... More

11. "Good company to work"

Current Employee - Software QA Manager
    Current Employee - Software QA Manager

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work at

Cons

you don't leave the company, you leave the manager

14 Feb, 2018 – CTO

I am glad you have been with us for a long period of time and find Zillow Group to be a great place to work. If you have any specific feedback on your or other managers, please do let me or one of... More