Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 66 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 16 reviews)

• Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

"Great & Continues to improve"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

One of the best places i've ever worked - i'm treated like an adult and given the resources and support to do my job. I also like how transparent they are about what we're working on and that the CEO encourages honest feedback from people.

Most of the people i've met so far have been lovely, without ego and focused on helping each other (bar one or two who've been here a few years and throw their seniority around behind management's back)

Cons

Continue to be transparent with plans. Sometimes information takes time to trickle down.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - incorporating employee feedback and listening to the lifeblood of your business - the people! Continue to ensure that those in leadership positions are the right people, there are a few narcissistic/self-serving people in the management/executive sphere that are not team players but because they're good at their roles, the behavior is let slide.

10 May, 2017 – COO

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you are happy here and feel supported. Feel free to reach out directly if you'd like to share any specifics on what we can be doing better. - Amy (COO)... More

2. "Associate Client Engagement Specialist"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Amazing people, abundance of learning/ training/ growth opportunities, employees are treated well and has an encouraging culture!

Cons

Every job has it's difficulties, especially when dealing with people/ consumers, but the positives greatly outweigh the few difficult moments.

3. "Senior Client Engagement Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Management - The senior management and Team Leads in this department genuinely care about the success of their people and the org. Specifically, JR, the VP of Client Experience, has the ability to make the people under him feel valued and respected. Although he manages an org of over 400 people, he makes his face known by everyone and has always been personable. Since day one, he has made great effort and succeeded in making much needed changes, most notably adding the senior position to provide more opportunity for reps to grow.

Fast Paced Environment- There never seems to be dull moment in this department. This company is driven to provide the best product and service to our clients. Therefore, processes are always updated resulting in an atmosphere that is dynamic and enjoyable.

Values- Zillow Group has a strong set of core values that are adapted from top, down. This company is persistent in their values and continue to embody them in all aspects of their work.

Cons

There no downsides. Some may consider the hours and days of operation a downside of this position. However, I enjoy working 4-10s and have no problem coming in on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! We appreciate the emphasis you place on ensuring that employees are happy with their work place and the emphasis you place on helping us all grow in our careers!

5. "Good working environment"

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

good working environment
    work life balance

Cons

well the company is getting bigger and bigger than before

6. "Great company overall, personal experience depends on the team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They still embrace the start up culture, though many departments run like an established corporation. Great perks, if you're on the right team you'll be supported, mentored, and pushed to succeed. There's a lot to learn, room to grow.

Cons

White, male dominated culture. There are lots of other kinds of people, but the upper management is hooked into the frat culture of sales. This gives the feeling of working for a white fraternity. You need to be extroverted to get promoted (being white or male helps too).

Advice to Management

You're doing so many things right. I still gave the company five stars because the con's I've outlined here you're already aware of. I love the D & I work you're doing now, I wish you luck. Please do not give up and become (revert back to being) a white male frat tech company.

7. "Great Culture and Workplace"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow has an amazing culture and set of values. The longer I work here the more I see new ways which they live up to those values. I both feel appreciated and listened to by my coworkers and superiors. And the pay and benefits are, also, pretty amazing.

Cons

I really haven't experienced any.

22 Sep, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for this stellar review! Our values are key to our success, so its great to hear we're living up to them (or at least striving too). Call us out when we don't! That's critical. If you have... More

"Best Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There's something special about a company that truly believes and cares about their employees. The Learning & Development team along with the People team have truly shined throughout all of Zillow Group.
    - "Own it" is a core value and they really mean it.
    - Benefits are spectacular
    - There are so many teams a different kinds of people working here, you can really find a community and niche.

Cons

- "Own it" can also be a con ... Too much of this, and there isn't enough structure or leadership to actually get things done properly
    - "Move Fast, Think Big" sounds great in theory, but when moving *too* fast, you miss the details and process that can be crucial to great success. I'd love to move quickly without hacking things together or putting band-aids over things that could use more of an overhaul or thorough thought process.
    - Discretionary Time Off is wonderful, but really isn't the same across the company. Each manager is different and therefore unlimited DTO varies.

Advice to Management

Talking amongst one another and truly listening to your employees and taking action. Process and transparency are absolutely key in creating a successful project, initiative and product.

9. "Way Better Than I Thought It Would Be..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, culture is very good, lots of communication from senior executives, good benefits

Cons

Poor image with some within real estate industry

Advice to Management

Share more with industry regarding goals of company and aspirations

5 Sep, 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you are enjoying the OC Zillow Group office culture and I am happy you are a part of it! I would love to hear how you think we could continue to... More

"Most nurturing culture/employer for career growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been at Zillow for 6+ weeks but I don't have enough great things to say about my experience and the Zillow Group as an enterprise.

- I started with a 2 week onboarding agenda given to me day 1. This really helped with a quick ramp up and set a promising foundation.
    - My team is very supportive. They make me feel truly appreciated. They have been by my side as a cheerleader but are also first to jump in when I voice for help and advice.
    - My management, the VPs, and even our department Chief, have gone out of their way to ensure I have everything I need to be successful. They consistently remind me that they are here in any capacity needed to support my role and success.

It is really refreshing to see an employer trying so hard to foster their employees and empower them to grow beyond their means.

Reflecting on my past 6 weeks and overall impression as a new hire, joining Zillow has been a great decision for my career growth.

Cons

I can't really think of any to be honest. The benefits are great. The people are great.
     My manager is great. The work is fun and challenging.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I would change about my management. She has given me freedom to make a difference and voice any thoughts. I haven't been frowned on me for asking questions or in need for help and support. I feel supported in my career growth and goals.

Zillow Response

24 Aug, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you for the great review. I'm glad that your Zillow Group experience is off to such a great start. Welcome!

"Highly recommended; prepare to work hard"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment/culture is amazing. People are positive and have fun at work, while working hard. Management expects a lot out their teams. For those that are willing to work hard, have a great team mentality and attitude, and quickly adapt to change there is massive opportunity for financial earnings and career growth.

I could not be happier with my role here. I leave work every day and week feeling good about my opportunities and contributions to the greater whole. I highly recommend Zillow as a career path. Thank you!!

Cons

Communication from management can sometimes lack clarity. Some of this has to do with just how quick things move and evolve here. Continue to focus on delivering new updates, training, etc. in digestible formats.

Advice to Management

The keys to what makes this office tick is the people/environment/culture/vibe. Continue hiring the right positive and hungry people to this team!

28 Aug, 2017 – GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone the General Manager of sales for the NY office. Thank you very much for your feedback about the role, and the positive, winning culture that you have clearly helped us... More