Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.3
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 58 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 16 reviews)

• the inside sales role at Zillow is tough work and they are very upfront about that (in 10 reviews)

"Great & Continues to improve"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

One of the best places i've ever worked - i'm treated like an adult and given the resources and support to do my job. I also like how transparent they are about what we're working on and that the CEO encourages honest feedback from people.

Most of the people i've met so far have been lovely, without ego and focused on helping each other (bar one or two who've been here a few years and throw their seniority around behind management's back)

Cons

Continue to be transparent with plans. Sometimes information takes time to trickle down.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - incorporating employee feedback and listening to the lifeblood of your business - the people! Continue to ensure that those in leadership positions are the right people, there are a few narcissistic/self-serving people in the management/executive sphere that are not team players but because they're good at their roles, the behavior is let slide.

10 May, 2017 – COO

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you are happy here and feel supported. Feel free to reach out directly if you'd like to share any specifics on what we can be doing better. - Amy (COO)... More

"Great company, treats employees with respect"

Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zillow is already one of the best tech companies you can work for, and they are always striving to be even better. They treat their employees like responsible adults (discretionary time off, rare after hours work, etc). Zillow is also great because it allows you to grow your career the way that you want to; you aren't forced to take a management role to progress.

Cons

Some of the release / engineering processes can be frustrating. Also, I disagree with the way they've historically chosen development managers. That being said, that's another area where I think Zillow is trying to improve.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your strongest developers to management roles. Their technical skills are needed and they usually make poor managers.

14 Jul, 2017 – CTO

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I am glad you are enjoying working at Zillow and experiencing many of the things that make Zillow Group a great place to work and built a career. I agree... More

"Zillowgroup saved my life."

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best part #ZGisateamsport. Everyone is friendly, intelligent, smart, and hard-working. If you engage yourself with a holistic approach to your job, it will become a career for you #ownit. Zillowgroup gives you the tools to not only be successful within the company, but also gives you skills to be successful if you want to pursue another passion. The company truly cares about it's employees happiness, and is constantly striving to address our concerns. Nothing is ever "brushed under the rug" #turnonthelights. I trust my fellow coworkers, and the direction of the company because Zillowgroup works to do what's best for the company, individual employee, and the consumer #actwithintegrity. They give us great pay and benefits for the amount of work we do. Our office are full of amenities, food, games, and is constantly kept clean and safe. I couldn't imagine a better place to work.

Cons

The work can be repetitive at times and it's definitely a grind, but I think the only people who complain about those things are ones who aren't a great fit for the culture at Zillowgroup. Zillow takes "work hard, play hard" very seriously. We get spoiled with great benefits, events, and rewards for a job that in my opinion is not that difficult. I feel like most people who talk negatively about the company are those with a sense of entitlement and don't have the patience or work ethic to reach their desired goals. If you look at your job as a multi-year career and not "I need the raise and promotion I want after a year or I'm gonna quit", Zillowgroup will give you all the tools to be successful and reach your goal.

There aren't a lot of cons if you are hard-working and see the big picture.

Advice to Management

Focus on promoting internally. There is so much smart, intelligent, hard-working potential in your entry level positions, particularly CES. It's hard because there are a lot of us, and some team members are there just to collect a paycheck. Upper management, Take a little more time to notice some of these great minds. Ask their team leads, they will tell you how amazing some of these people are, and how much more they could be utilized at Zillowgroup. There's a lot of great external talent, but the best talent is the people we already have in our company.

Zillow Response

15 Jul, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great review, and great feedback. I really appreciate. it.

5. "Zillow Group"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid base, great product, culture is young and fun...free lunch and happy hours!!!!! Company parties are amazing !!!! Did I forget to say Free Lunch!

Cons

Poor management, no clear path of where you will be in a year, constant change ...lots and lots of change!

18 Jul, 2017 – GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone, GM of sales in NY, thank you for your positive review! More importantly, thank you for your hard work and important contribution to our winning culture... More

6. "Client Engagement Specialist"

Current Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, the culture and the leads are great reasons to work here. I plan to retire here. No doubt in my mind. They have complimentary good coffee, healthy snacks and catered meals at the end of the month just to show they care. If you work hard you're rewarded, do your job correctly and effectively and you're recognized. It's a company that works hard for you as long as you work hard for them . THE BEST health insurance I've ever had. They take care of me and make me want to do my job efficiently so they never have a reason to let me go. I love my job and Zillow as a whole. TEAM ZILLOW FOR LIFE!!

Cons

The only con is that I love working here so much that I come here on days off. Hahaha, I have NO COMPLAINTS.

Advice to Management

Management is amazing and inspiring, my only advice is to keep doing the wonderful job that you are doing. There aren't enough good managers out there in the world but they definitely exist at Zillow.

18 Jul, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thank you for this glowing review! I'm glad the hard and thoughtful work of your managers and fellow employees is shinning through. We want you to be highly productive and happy in your work, and... More

7. "What It's Really Like At Zillow"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

I feel extremely fortunate to work for Zillow Group for a variety of reasons. I could go on a tangent as to why, but in writing this review, I'll focus on what I believe is most pertinent to prospective applicants in case the reviews about catered food and free cold brew aren't doing it for you.

In a career search, most people look for key components when applying for a role: compensation package, benefits, career growth, work/life balance, and excitement about the company you work for. When considering these things on a scale of 1-10, Zillow is an 11.

When I first started, I had zero sales experience but was eager to learn and confident in myself. When I hit the sales floor, I initially struggled, but my team lead at the time spent much of his time developing and coaching me and got me to a point where I now consistently exceed and have more financial opportunity than I’ve ever had in my life. The point is, Zillow provides exceptional training on a daily basis, which positions anyone who takes it in for career growth and the best opportunity to be handsomely compensated. When it comes to work/life balance, I’ve never worked more than 40 hours a week, I’m encouraged to take vacations, and I occasionally take a Monday or Friday off just for fun. The benefits package is unreal and I’d bet you’ve never seen better. As far as excitement goes, Zillow is the largest, most innovative company in its space and the direction in which it’s heading is only going up.

I feel as though I’ve been taught invaluable lessons I’ll use my entire working life, that I’ve been given more opportunity than most any other company could give me, and most of all, I’ve truly been cared for at Zillow.

Cons

The sales role is definitely a grind and is not an easy job but nobody withholds that information from you prior to joining. If you're not optimistic, this will be your con

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest with expectations and direction of the company.

14 Jul, 2017 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thanks for your detailed and glowing review about your current experience with Zillow Group. The Orange County Sales team is a spectacular team to be a part of. We strive to have a world-class team... More

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Benefits and culture. Pay and the people.

Cons

Nothing. It's a great place to work!

9. "Sr Business Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, cutting edge company, always innovating. Perks - paid lunches, great comp, amazing executive leadership.

Cons

Not the best career advancement paths within the sales department.

7 Jul, 2017 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thanks for your positive review! Zillow Group, Orange County Sales, is proud of our winning company culture and we appreciate your contributions to the team. We are diligently working to provide... More

10. "Great Company, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Consumer Care Advocate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consumer Care Advocate in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing senior management, great work-life balance, fun team building events, good benefits, transparent CEO, and an overall wonderful company.

Cons

Clique-ish and sorority-like behavior from lower level management. Company would rather offer ski passes as a benefit than consider tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to not hire lower level management based on length of employment and rather their ability to manage people. Please provide training for lower level management on how to lead people and follow up with them regularly about their progress.

11. "So far, so GREAT!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive, Positive, Clean, Fun, Lucrative

Cons

I'm not a huge fan of the long drive from my house

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6 Jul, 2017 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your thoughtful review! We strive to be a world-class sales team and your feedback is appreciated. If you ever have any additional suggestions on how we can continue to be a great place... More