Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.1
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Promotes a healthy work /life balance" (in 84 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 20 reviews)

• "Midsized company growing pains, ambiguous internal mobility, no profit sharing" (in 12 reviews)

"Client Engagement Specialist: Adults Need Not Apply"

I have been working at Zillow (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of pros about working for this company, such as the amazing benefits, free snacks, and (for other departments outside of Concierge), there appears to be a dedication to culture and community satisfaction. If you are interested in other departments, I cannot provide insight into how well they measure up to the message.

But if you are thinking about applying for the a job as the Associate Client Engagement Specialist, Do NOT look at the standard rating here as a barometer for what your experience will be like. The only thing I will say in terms of a potential positive is the starting salary of $19 is competitive for call center work, which is what you will be doing. DO NOT let the job description fool you into thinking this is anything else.

If you are a hard working grown up, who expects to be treated as such, I encourage you to 1. Apply to a different department. 2. Apply to a different Company.

Cons

Recently, our department has undergone a reshaping that has us handling a drastically higher volume of work, and they made no plans to 1. Replace the attrition that occurs in this department. 2. Expand their workforce through effective and quality hiring practices(And no, to the manager who is going to respond to this review, I don't consider contract workers who are probably treated even worse than we are in this department an effective hiring practice. And neither would you if you could actually see the quality of their work. Also if ZG culture and community is so strong, why are we having to hire staffing agencies to help us fill positions.)

With this new product's launch, being behind in our workflow was an obvious problem for anyone who had actual experience doing our job, but was not planned for at all. Thus creating a negative experience for our stakeholders and our customers, which we as employees do care about.

Management's response to us being behind, despite more than doubling our volume of work, was to blame us for not working hard enough. They have restructured our breaks and mandate that we take them at the same time every day that we work. Instead of our 2 15s we get for being at work 11 hours a day (While technically 10 hours, we get an hour unpaid lunch so the day itself is 11 hours. By the by, we are the only department in all of ZG with that restriction as well), we all have 3 10 minute breaks. Your break times were assigned to you, and you MUST take your breaks at the designated times or not take them at all. Doesn't matter if you'd like to take one of your break with your friend who comes in on the later shift, or would love to grab a cup of coffee with a hiring manager at a time that is convenient for them. It is beyond insulting to be micromanaged at this level.

ZG decided to fundamentally change its #1 product that accounted for nearly 70% of its business last year, and in the launch of this revamped product you decided not to account for the increase in workflow volume (which anyone who was actually working in the old workflow could have told you would have absolutely needed), lower your hiring standards by using recruiting agencies and contract employees with less strenuous standards thereby creating more work and more negative experiences for your customers, while simultaneously whittling down the resolve of your current top performing employees (the ones who will be responsible for either the success or failure of this launch) by suddenly treating them as petulant children who are not working hard enough. Not only does this not seem like a terrible thing to do, and is something that flies in the face of everything I thought this company believed in terms of it's employee culture, it is not a smart business practice!

Nearly 10% of your workforce should not be an afterthought, which is what this department actually adds up to be!

People in this department can only get 1 hour of career development a WEEK. Making it really difficult to network and discover new opportunities of where you would like to see your career go. No other departments have a uniform policy. Individuals who are felt not to be pulling their weight are spoken with and dealt with on an individual basis, In other words, other departments treat their people as adults.

Every other department, regardless of location (aside from the newly acquired Mortgage company that has been ZG owned for less than 6 months) will be flown to Seattle to experience ZG week, giving us a chance to network and meet with other people from other offices. This department will not be permitted to go. And no, to the manager who inevitably responds to this this review, the fact that SeaPAC will get to go to a Happy Hour, and Denver having a couple Executives come to town for a replacement meeting, without any of the break out sessions or networking opportunities that come from ZG week, isn't an equivalent exchange.

I could go on, but why bother? This company and this management team are perfectly okay with the way this department is moving. You can have all the skip levels and 1:1s you want, saying you value our feedback, but I know lip service when I see it. In their eyes, it is much more important to give employees the appearance of being heard rather than actually listening. And in their eyes, this review is another petulant dissenter, who is whining rather than realizing how lucky I am to work here.

I thought this company was of the Richard Branson philosophy of Company culture. You treat people well, they appreciate it and they work harder for you. They make you better. I believed that message when I started at ZG, but my LONG tenure in this department (All of which has me as a TOP Performer by the way) has ultimately proven that this company's actions are so much more telling than it's branding.

You can't treat your largest department like this, and still say this company cares about its people. You can't do it. And even more than that. You can't expect to treat people like this and expect them to perform at a high level for you. It won't happen.

Advice to Management

I already know how my review will be seen. That I'm a part of the vocal minority. Trust me. I'm not.

I actually never hoped to write this review. I wanted to be able to be heard and see changes. I've gone through the proper channels. I've given feedback in house. I wanted you to backtrack and recognize errors. You haven't. You've leaned in. You've doubled down.

I've wanted to build my career here. I cared about coming in and giving it my all. I cared about making a positive contribution to this company. I actually believed I was important and valued.

I know that I am not now. And while you can say differently in your reply. Your actions have proven otherwise.

The only advice I will offer is to those who are considering this role: Don't.

31 Oct, 2018 – Vice President, Premier Agent Strategy & Operations

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns. The work that you and the entire team do each day is truly critical to the success of Zillow Group, and that is widely understood from Spencer on... More

2. "Best Company That Actually Lives Their Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Access to upper management at all levels, Transparency of Sr. Leadership, Core Values taken seriously, Focus on people, Great working spaces

Cons

Nothing outside of any company that goes through the growing pains of maturing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great focus you have on people! Don't start shaving away at Culture as the company scales because that's what truly makes Zillow such a great place to work.

"9 Year Veteran"

Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Strategic Business Advisor in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9 years ago, I started with a handful of sales generalists at Trulia. We quickly grew from a 5 to 200+ person sales organization, underwent an IPO, and successfully united with the Zillow Group family through an acquisition in 2015.

I can genuinely say that each year has felt like an entirely new startup company while still preserving the momentum and progress we’re creating. Personally, it has made my 9 years fly by incredibly fast.

But it’s not just fast and fun times with the BEST benefits and people...

My time here has proven to me that the leadership at ZG is thoughtful about our future. I absolutely trust that the company can navigate our disruptive industry and is willing to innovate to the degree that most companies seemingly only talk about.

While I feel like we’re only now at the top of the roller coaster ride, it’s completely reassuring to know the company I’m committed to is equally committed to me both personally and professionally. I’m proud to be part of Zillow Group and am excited for our future.

Cons

Every industry is facing change. Zillow is not afraid to embrace change for the long term mission. This requires adaptability and willingness to be uncomfortable which is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to "turn on the lights" externally in the industry and internally with employees.

Zillow Response

18 Oct, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review.
    yes, the company sure has changed in 9 years! But some things have not -- our focus remains on delighting consumers, making sure that our company is a great place... More

4. "Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best position I've ever had. There is so much this company offers you as a whole, with full paid health benefits, great pay and career development I can't see why anyone would have anything negative to say. Yes we are going through some changes that I can say can be difficult on some people but it has to be done to make the consumers and the agents have the best experience with Zillow. I've worked for companies in the past that would never give you any opportunity to grow and with this company they don't want to hold you back at all. We do work 4/10s but we also get three days off which helps with my schedule perfectly so I can have more time with my children. They also very understanding with your personal issues like sick time, mental health and PTO. When your sick or have a family emergency, no problem. Zillow fully understands what your going through, they will give you the time off you need to help yourself or fix your family issues. Which to me is almost unheard of in other companies I've worked for. No matter if I felt like I was near death I had to go to work in the past. The Affinity groups are great as well, these groups help you build connections with other people in different positions at Zillow so you can promote yourself internally. I love working here and can't wait to see what the future holds for me and for Zillow.

Cons

The only con is I wish we can get more notice for changes in the SOPs due to I feel like people feel rushed and more errors occur.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I see you guys working as hard as you can to make Zillow the best it can be.

8 Nov, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

Thanks for this great review. I agree the speed that we're changing our procedures can sometimes mean you don't have a lot of time to digest them. I appreciate your hard work and effort while we... More

"Sales Executive, Rentals"

Current Employee - Sales Executive, Rentals in Centennial, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive, Rentals in Centennial, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company that takes care of its employees. They encourage you to work your way up within the organization, whether that is within your team or not. The rentals division specifically is a fast growing section of Zillow Group, and still has a "start up" feel within a larger company. The product sells itself at times, and as a sales rep you function very independently. Your success is largely determined by your ability to function independently and learning as you go.

I have been in this role for over a year, and still find it engaging and I am excited to come in to work everyday. Great leadership team, and you are trusted as a team member to get your job done most likely because of their confidence in the extensive interview process.

Cons

The "start up" feel is not for everyone, and if you do not like constant change this is not a role for you. Travel can be extensive at times, but it is necessary and you are largely in control of when/where you travel which helps prevent burning out.

Advice to Management

Zillow Group has a great leadership team within the rentals organization. They are constantly looking for areas of improvement, and acting on these areas of improvement is something that they follow up on which is great. However communication about these changes down the totem pole could be improved at times.

Zillow Response

4 Nov, 2018 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for this great review! I really appreciate it.
    Rentals is a great organization at ZG and I'm glad that you are having a good experience on that team.

6. "Don't Wake Me Up"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vision - In a tech hub like Seattle there is an excess of great ideas in a very central location and Zillow is no exception to that. The idea itself was grand "creating the worlds largest and most vibrant home buying and selling platform" but it takes the will to think big in order to make a company worth investing in, Zillow has done just that

Flexibility - When something isn't working Zillow's leadership team is not afraid to retool and rework it's original plan. This is an underrated trait of any company in my opinion because it means that you'll have to admit being wrong, which isn't as easy to do for some C level execs.

Leadership - speaking of the leadership team: Spencer Rascoff, Jeremy Wacksman, Stan Humphries, Rebekah Bastian, Lionel Lee, Jas Thind, Amy Bohutinsky and the numerous other fantastic, qualified names I've left out on this list are outstanding. They are the engine of this well oiled machine and the company's success is a function of their ability to simply do the right thing.

Autonomy - there a few sub points to this one for me including how I'm compensated (which is excellent) but I feel everyone should be trusted to do their job, that mean's not being micromanaged or harassed in any way. Zillow has a knack for putting its money where its collective mouth is and employing people who they know fit the culture and then trusting those people to do their job the right way by giving them all of the resources necessary. Excellent.

I could keep going but I'll cut it short

Cons

The Grind - I'll admit, when you're a company as large as ours it can be easy to lose sight of the purpose of your day to day at times. We have high expectations to deliver and at times that can mean doing a lot in a short amount of time with little understanding of who it benefits, it's a numbers game and at times that can make Wednesday afternoon at 3pm a drag.

Distractions - I used to work for a start up and even then it was hard to keep my email, Slack notifications, distracting open office chatter, and myriad of calendar invites to a minimum so that I could simply work and Zillow is no different. In fact, I would argue that the size of the company makes said distractions a bit of a headache, definitely something to consider if you, like me, struggle with simply staying focused on the task at hand.

Advice to Management

Continue to build the Community and Culture team. This was an excellent idea and its still in its infancy as a department but as a member of an underrepresented group in tech I can honestly say that I'm planning to stick around for the next few years not because I just love my job so much (which I do) but because I don't feel alone for 9 hrs a day. That goes a long, long way.

7. "This is the best ever workplace!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best ever workplace! Awesome people and awesome culture! I am feeling I am contributing every day, and doing the coolest thing to help people to find the place where love resides and memories create.

Cons

So far so good, not found any for now.

Advice to Management

NA

8. "Great People"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people there are amazing to work with. Always open to helping out

Cons

On the technology front, there a good amount of legacy software that make development more slow. There is a good focus on improving this, but the company is not there yet.

12 Nov, 2018 – CTO

Thanks for your feedback and your work as one of our Dev Manager in Seattle. I am glad you have found our people great to work with and a strong culture and supportive environment. These are key to... More

"Best Job I've had, and I have had plenty...."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a college student working towards a degree it is difficult to find a job that seems to work with you. I originally worked at another large corporation that shall remain nameless, but was very hard to work with my school schedule. Dotloop is apart of Zillow, but seems to work as a small company within a large company. The benefits of working at Dot loop are tremendous, the pay is good for the area and economy, the healthcare is great, there are free snacks in the office, along with free yoga just to name a few. The schedule for my position varies, from am to midnight Monday- Friday, and am to pm on the weekends, but they are willing to work with you as they offer Paid time off, and Sick leave separately. The offices have different networks that discuss varies topics like investments, disabilities, and a network for each office that informs everyone of what is going on in the city or if you just need a helping hand. Overall my experience so far at Dot loop has been unmatched, and as a former flight attendant, casino lead, optometrist apprentice and many other jobs I could name this experience is fantastic.

Cons

The downside of this job, is that in Cincinnati there are not as many opportunities to move forward in specific fields, as it is a smaller office. With that being said there are other offices we have including Seattle, Phoenix, and San Francisco just to name a few that offer tech, customer support, HR, and Accounting. They are willing to let you move forward to different offices if possible.

25 Oct, 2018 – Founder, dotloop

Thank you for this very thoughtful review! It's really great to hear that you are enjoying your role at dotloop and that your experience aligns with our company's history as a "best place to work... More

"Great company, but PAC is a disappointing department"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks and benefits of the company are obviously one of the best things about working for the company. Medical/dental/vision all offer great coverage, the well stocked kitchens are great, and the amount of PTO offered is generous.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons of working in PAC seem to outweigh all the benefits the company has to offer. The company is headed in a great direction and does have a bright future, a lot of which depends on what the PAC department does, but they're not set up to fulfill this vision yet. The department is incredibly understaffed, particularly on weekends. This creates a negative environment because we are not living up to our promises and are setting ourselves up for failure. It's hard to remain motivated when you there are times that you simply cannot succeed, just because there are not enough people to do the job needed to be done. On days when the department is not running hours and hours behind schedule, there is still the problem of the job just being mundane and monotonous. For some, it may be an ideal position because it isn't the most mentally challenging job (though it is mentally draining), but for others with more ambition it can be a bit too simple. The Denver office, while growing, does not offer a lot of opportunities for growth in other departments, unless you're wanting to get into a sales role. Most of the job opportunities available will be at the headquarters in Seattle, which is unfortunate for those who do not wish to relocate. There are many other headaches that come with working as a Client Engagement Specialist, such as poor communication and lack of transparency at times, but right now the biggest issue is just the fact that the staffing levels are not set up in a way for us to do our jobs the way we should be doing them. They preach about a 6 Star experience for Beth, yet there are times that we're delivering a 1 star experience, if that. If the company has a specific vision, we should not begin executing it until we can do so in a way that provides our consumers with the service they deserve.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate staffing levels, especially on weekends, so that we are not providing a poor consumer experience. Communicate more effectively with all the teams and be more transparent with current issues.

2 Nov, 2018 – Vice President, Premier Agent Strategy & Operations

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and please keep it coming! Best way is to send directly to me at carey@zillowgroup.com.

Weekend staffing – There have been a couple of unexpected spikes but... More