Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Dec 9, 2019

3.8
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (interns didn't have tons of pressure put on them)(in 102 reviews)

• "You can't deny that Zillow has pretty great benefits(in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Startup Soul - Big Business Resources"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- strong development culture - emphasis on inclusion and diversity - good balance of code quality and feature development - constantly pushing the business forward, never resting on laurels - high emphasis on work life balance - good snacks - tight team culture - excellent communication from upper/middle management to individual contributors

Cons

- constant change can be a little tiring

Advice to Management

Better communication between teams/offices.

Zillow2019-11-15

"Bureaucratic, for a small team. Poor engineering culture"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working within a vertical that can either make or break the entire real estate industry - Extended health, dental, and vision benefits - RRSP matching

Cons

- Not an innovative team (they claim that they prefer to adhere to "tried and tested" methods, but are really just complacent. For instance, the product is not responsive across screens, because one person just does not understand CSS3 media queries) - Lack of transparency from management (tasks being assigned, rather than empowering engineers to offer solutions to business problems that are presented to them... through consistent communication from up the chain of commands) - Lack of end-to-end technical ownership - Micromanagement - Uninspiring work - The team didn't quite feel like a startup (hierarchical team structure) - You can't learn much from working in this team - Poor engineering culture (no blameless post-mortems. Reactiveness to problems. Lack of proper team-based learning and development) - Can't look up to management for technical guidance, nor are engineers empowered to make decisions in lieu of management's technical competencies - Personality-wise, everyone in this team seems to lack a sense of curiosity that many startups in Vancouver exude

Zillow2019-11-25

"Good, but political as of late. Will update."

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, excellent tools, free snacks and coffee, good healthcare and stock options. Corp app infrastructure is solid. People are usually helpful and supportive when you have questions even across orgs.

Cons

Zillow 2.0 is driving people far too hard. There is a tangible change at the company toward tighter budgets, which has resulted in significantly more workload per person without wanting the spend on appropriate staffing levels. (While the equity and belonging team is doing great) I also feel more expendable as Zillow 2.0 moves forward. Despite transparency being a core value, management in my org makes major... personnel decisions without opening positions to the whole org, causing employees at other sites to be left behind and the whole process to become very political and unfair. Transparency is only valued on a technical level, not a people level in my org. Politics have frequently influenced decisions about major systems changes, and when to spend budget even when the equipment is badly needed.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the long term and don't let short term targets change major decisions. Refocus on the core values. Improve transparency in promotion opportunities across the org. Be aware of the stress of Zillow 2.0 and how it is affecting existing staff.

Zillow2019-12-09
  4. "Phenomenal Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Centennial, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Pay Awesome Office Wonderful Management Inclusion and Diversity Room to Improve yourself Free Food

Cons

Hire some not so nice people Repetitive Work

Zillow2019-12-03
  5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits Culture Leadership The company really valued my work/life balance and compensated me well.

Cons

Some management weren't as helpful as others.

Zillow2019-11-23

"Company changes make sales reps expendable"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Perks, great insurance, relatively flexible PTO once accrued.

Cons

I eventually left because the most valuable portion of my territory was removed in a 24 hour period. We were not told of this change. After being a successful sales rep for 3 years I came to terms that I would not be able to be successful with the current state of the company and the tools that were available to me. Because of the limited opportunity, the culture on sales floor went from a "One Team" environment to... a "do whatever it takes", even at the expense of the people sitting next to you. Increasing drama and paranoia among reps, even what I would equate to stealing from each other. The reasons I joined the team were no longer apparent so I made the sad decision to leave.

Advice to Management

Be transparent about upcoming changes. People have families to feed and not knowing that you'll be successful 60-90 days from now is taxing on your attitude and stress level.

Zillow2019-12-04

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Fast paced, changing environment

Cons

Be prepared to do take on more than just people management

Zillow2019-12-02

"Great benefits but company culture is changing"

Former Employee - Zillow Offers in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Very good benefits -Free snacks and beverages -Inclusive and diverse company -Community & Culture team puts on great events

Cons

-Lack of coaching and development -If you're not "Zillow 2.0" you will be asked to leave or be performance managed out -Seattle HR is heading in a bad direction with how they are changing the culture.

Advice to Management

Stop getting rid of good, talented people and start coaching them up. Zillow used to care about keeping their employees but now they are quick to throw them away if they don't fit this new direction.

Zillow2019-11-20

"Pick your team carefully"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Terrific co-workers and IT support, excellent location and in-building perks (snacks, drinks, guest speakers).

Cons

Division management changing strategic course frequently without a clear explanation, causing chaos in the team.

Advice to Management

1.Pay attention to customers! After conducting interviews with many sales people and reporting a lot of negative feedback from customers, managers just shrugged and moved on to the next new program, saying that would fix it. But that program's goals didn't match what the customers were complaining about. :-( 2.Act on employee survey reports and suggestions. My team had low scores every survey, and the management... team didn't prioritize making any improvements. 3.Trust your employees to be adults and do their work, and let them work from home. The office environment and coworkers are great, but as traffic gets worse, working from home one or two days a week can make all the difference.

Zillow2019-11-06
  10. "More Than I Could Ever Ask For"

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free espresso, high quality breakfast bars, healthy and non-healthy snacks at any time. Relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere. Friendly people everywhere and there are cultural or timely events held by the culture committee weekly. My managers have all been approachable and friendly and I feel respected at work by my constituents.

Cons

None at this specific time.

Zillow2019-11-12