Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We also get a lot of vacation time which is nice, as Zillow really cares about it's employee's Work/Life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management turns a blind eye to employees who do not sell with integrity" (in 13 reviews)

"Awesome workplace - a lot of distractions though."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, core values, opportunities for growth, communication,

Cons

Too much complaining from entitled co-workers..so many are just aren't focused on the work we are there to do but rather all of the SJW stuff happening.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the affinity networks, like other company's have started to do, they are encouraging separation and some groups are not all welcoming to those different than they are.

3 Jan, 2019 – CPO

Thanks for your review - we appreciate hearing your thoughts and I am glad you are having a positive experience at Zillow Group. The affinity networks are important to ZG and have become an vehicle... More

2. "Great place to work but always room to improve"

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun culture
    nice office
    nice people
    opportunities for internal growth and transfers

Cons

inner circle of original employees and those with seniority control decisions
    backlog of projects cause delays
    Massive growth has caused zillow to become less dynamic and many voices and great ideas are overlooked

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees who are invested in the company and give larger raises to prevent losing talent. Be more dynamic even if it is impossibly difficult at times.

"Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love Zillow and working for this company. The people here are amazing and the culture is great, as well as unbelievable health benefits. I love how there is a focus on ensuring employees have ample opportunity for growth, development and learning. We also get a lot of vacation time which is nice, as Zillow really cares about it's employee's Work/Life balance. I have every intention of staying and growing with this awesome company.

Cons

I have nothing but positive things to say about this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

17 Jan, 2019 – VP, Client Experience

Thanks for this great review! You can help us keep improving Zillow by letting me or your manager know of any ideas or areas we can improve. Shoot me a note any time jrg@zillowgroup.com. -JR Gast... More

4. "Fun Team"

Former Employee - Consumer Advocate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Consumer Advocate in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for entry level career starters wanting to gain experience in the tech world.

Cons

Little room to grow into management roles.

5. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Tons of fun.

Cons

Small company that is just starting.

6. "Decent place to work at"

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture. Great opportunity for someone starting their career in sales

Cons

Not a long term opportunity. Most of tenured good people end up leaving

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Centennial, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Centennial, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice benefits. PTO, healthcare, pay, and free snacks/drinks

Cons

The work was not fun and grueling. Felt like the red-headed stepchild of company as we were not allowed to participate in most activities.

Advice to Management

Keep your teams small unless you absolutely need a position. The growth in the department did not coincide with the company's goals so you ended up alienating a lot of people

17 Jan, 2019 – VP, Client Experience

Great to hear you felt the benefits and perks were solid. Since our department works with high volume inbound and outbound contacts, there is certainly an amount of repetition in daily tasks, which... More

"Grateful but had to move on.."

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Zillow in 2016. Premier Agent Concierge was new and I thought it was innovative. I wasn't thrilled at working in a call center environment but the benefits, pay and people outweighed that. The biggest reason why I stayed at Zillow is because of the top notch benefits and the people. I would say about a third of the managers I had were excellent leaders. They kept me there. They didn't just say they valued my opinions-- their actions SHOWED me they did. Ultimately, Zillow gave me experience in a corporate environment and helped me develop skills that I now use in my dream job. For that, I am grateful!

Cons

The first year in PAC was great. People had their complaints but I realized that every company had their office politics. However, as the company grew FAST-- things changed. Management changed and department moral declined. I would go to all hands meetings and Spencer and Amy would deeply inspire me. Then I would go back to a department that felt so separate from the rest of the company. We weren't included in many functions that the rest of the company participated in. I realize that business needs dictate scheduling but there is always balance. Management spent so much time trying to convince us that we were no different than any other department when they could have exercised humility and OWNED IT. WE WERE DIFFERENT and you know what? That is okay. All I ever wanted was for management to admit that. Also, I understand that mistakes are made in corporate environments. That does not frustrate me. What frustrated me was that genuine apologies were never made, only excuses. I'm fairly confident I will receive a response to this assuring me that "management did admit when they were wrong!" An apology is not "well, you know, possibly the messaging was not the most effective and we are looking into maybe changing this. However, the reason this happened is because we were in a time crunch and we were doing the best we could with the resources we had." An apology does not include excuses. It is simply, "We are sorry for our actions and we will strive to do better."
    Thankfully, for my last bit of time at ZG-- my team lead kept me engaged. They are the reason I stayed and I am so grateful for their encouragement and effective leadership skills.
    Additionally, leadership was constantly asking for honesty and feedback. So, in skip levels, occasionally, I would speak up. I learned quickly that this was not effective. Generally, the response from management was: "Thank you so much for sharing! However, do you realize how good you have it here? Most jobs didn't have free food and top notch benefits." I must have heard 10 different versions of that answer. Again, I understand that you cannot just allow people to sit and complain without bringing up possible resolutions. I am not suggesting that managers should sit and allow people to vent without end. If your employees are venting in a kind and professional way, as a leader, you should listen and do your best to help them problem solve without making them feel like their thoughts and ideas are not valid. PAC had so much potential to be an amazing department (even with scheduling differences and limited access to functions and meetings). Unfortunately, during the time of my recent departure moral was continuing to decline. There are great people in PAC. People who care and who lead with kindness and humility. It is my hope that those people will take action and grab hold of the amazing idea that PAC stemmed from. I genuinely believe that the solution to many of the problems here is honesty and a willingness to be humble when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Repeating myself a bit, simply be honest and transparent. During my years in PAC I cannot tell you how many times I heard the word "transparency" but it was almost never supported by actions. The times when I experienced transparency were (oddly enough) when that word was never mentioned. Here is the thing: I realize that there will always be issues to resolve within companies. My biggest ask is that when you have to tell PAC members that they cannot attend an event that the rest of the company will be at or that they can use their break time to quickly pop in-- OWN IT! Don't sugar coat it. It is what it is and I if you are simply open and real about the reality of the situation people will respond much better.

7 Dec, 2018 – VP, Client Experience

I'm glad you found the benefits and people to be top notch, and that you found excellent leaders in your management. Our goal is always to create an environment that helps drives great results for... More

"Operations Engineer"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated well, exciting tech.

Cons

Lost some of the culture with growth.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing.

27 Dec, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for all your contributions to ZG over your 5+ years with the company. I am glad you felt well treated and the products and technologies were interesting. Growth can be challenging, so I... More

"Where your security career goes to die"

Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Budget for trainings and conferences, decent RSU grant, "unlimited" PTO

Cons

Imagine being passionate about security and having the entirety of the company you work for absolutely hate having to alter their systems/processes to adhere to industry standard best practice. Imagine stakeholders in other departments doing whatever they can to prevent you from making positive change. Imagine no one believing your "tinfoil hat" theories about attack tools, techniques, and procedures. Imagine being excited to try something new and novel and having no one, and I mean no one, care at all. Imagine being surrounded by developers who are rock stars (and rightfully so) and wanting to be the security version of that, yet slowly realizing there is no desire from leadership to be known for its security prowess the way that Amazon, Google, Netflix, Microsoft, Apple, Airbnb, etc. are. Imagine your passion for security draining day by day, leading you to question your decision to go down that path in the first place, making you truly believe you made a terrible mistake. Welcome to Zillow.

Advice to Management

If you haven't realized that there is a problem, you're not paying attention. As such an "employee-centric" company, this never seemed to apply to the security org. I really do hope that you decide to do something about it.

27 Dec, 2018 – SVP, Technolgy

Thank you for your feedback on Zillow Group and the Security team. I have a different view of our execution and culture around security. 2018 was a strong year for the Security team and, as Zillow... More