Zillow Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 12, 2021

Found 35 of over 1k reviews

4.3
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "They have a great work-life balance(in 124 reviews)

• "Great company with great benefits(in 73 reviews)

• Cons
  • "none / work-life balance is great and the stock is great too(in 20 reviews)

• "Then upper management says asks why security hasn't solved for X problem(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

The Workplace Culture is Above and Beyond

Jan 12, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a great work-life balance. Lunches are provided weekly. Full-time employees (not contractors) get 100% covered healthcare and free mental health services. Transparency between the employees and upper management is a core value. Inclusion is very important and they have a very high diversity score.

Cons

Contractors are often not eligible to participate in team-building exercises or other workplace events (i.e. joining Affinity Groups).

Be the first to find this review helpful

Zillow

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about being a contract worker at Zillow. We still strive to provide a positive experience for everyone and I'm glad that the culture and our core values seem to have made a lasting impression on you. Perhaps our paths will cross again soon! -VP, Recruiting

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of the best places to work in Seattle

Sep 3, 2020 - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Health, Dental, and Eye Care plans are top of the line -Benefits and perks in general at Zillow lead many larger tech companies like Amazon and Microsoft (more so before COVID-19 and WFH) -Company recognition of the importance of a sensible work-life balance -Sense of community within the company, even while working remotely -Indefinite work-from-home option -Company-wide efforts to improve WFH flexibility outside of typical 9-5 hours, especially for parents -The majority of the individuals that you work with are great people, inside and out of work. There is certainly a Zillow-factor for the type of people that are hired here. -Transparency from senior leadership -Diversity & Inclusion is highly valued and practiced

Cons

-Business roles do not receive the same degree of competitiveness as tech roles when it comes to compensation -As the company grows, most All Company meetings are beginning to feel more and more like stakeholder presentations compared to the exciting and inclusive update meetings held in the prior years -Upper management is largely dialing down on employee events like Holiday/Summer parties and ZG conferences to cut down on expenses, leaving company-wide morale noticeably lower than previous years -The amount of diversity seen in the workforce at Zillow does not match the amount of diversity seen in executive leadership

2 people found this review helpful

Zillow

Allowing employees the flexibility to work from home indefinitely also means that opens us to being not just a great place to work in Seattle, but a great place for great talent anywhere. That's very exciting and lets us really expand our searches to ensure we're bringing in great and diverse talent. Thank you for what you shared here. You have some really great points that I will share with Crystal Tomczyk, our VP of Equity & Belonging. -VP, Recruiting

3. 3.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great company with a great culture but lacking in the treatment of contractors

Jul 19, 2019 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

- They really have an amazing group of people. I've worked cross-functionally on multiple projects and only rarely have I found people too busy or not willing to help. - There's always something new. You will never be bored working here. Plus, you can pursue what you want with, typically, much encouragement from your peers. - They offer great work-life balance. In fact, they discourage overworking and teams make an effort to adjust if the work gets to be too much.

Cons

- Contractors don't feel valued from the perspective of the company. After talking with a few other contractors/FTE, as a whole, contractors are viewed and feel replaceable. From the perspective of the team, they are essential and necessary but the lack of effort to convert and lack of transparency from upper management on the need (or lack of need) for contractors makes it feel like as a contractor, you have no say at all in your future and have no security at the company. - There's a lack of resources for contractors. The HRBP is a good source of basic HR info and your manager is a good source of info for matters related to your work but there's nothing on how to effectively convert to a FTE or advance your career even while working a contractor role.

3 people found this review helpful

CPO

Thanks for your review. People come to ZG as contractors for a variety of reasons, and not everyone wants to join full time. If you feel you weren't considered for an FTE role and wish to be please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com and I will connect you with the recruiting team.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee

Racism in the Denver Office

Jun 17, 2020 - Sales in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Given the recent coverage of racial injustices across the nation, I think that it is imperative for me to share a story of when I worked in the Zillow office in Denver last year. Zillow Group is a company that heavily promotes its level of diversity and inclusion; however, it is also the first company where I witnessed racism firsthand that was ignored by upper management and also the first company I worked at where several racial incidences were known to have occurred amongst its employees. As a person of color, I was followed from inside of the company office to my friend’s car by a Caucasian employee. As I began to drive away, this employee physically stopped the car and began to question me about who I was and why I was in the office. They wouldn’t let me leave until I answered them claiming that they didn’t recognize me which is hardly surprising given that there are several hundred employees working in the office with tens of new employees starting each week due to turnover. I was extremely shaken by this event and informed HR of the incident. Having spoken to 2 people in HR, both said that they didn’t believe it was racially motivated but was likely triggered by previous security issues. Firstly, I had never heard of this happening to my white counterparts nor should a company allow for its employees to police others and follow them to their vehicles. I did not pursue the issue further as I felt that my concerns were being ignored and that , as a person of color, I was made to feel as though I had just “misinterpreted the events” or at least, that’s what I was told. This is exactly why people of color don’t report these incidences and feel like their concerns aren’t heard. Towards the end of my time there, I had heard numerous stories of racism being rampant among its staff in Denver. I do know specifics; however, these are not my experiences to tell. Overall, I was extremely disappointed with how these issues were addressed and hopefully the Denver Office will make changes to provide a safe environment for its employees where you are not accosted by coworkers, minority or not, and for it to be blamed on “prior security issues”. I mentioned this during my exit interview, but based on my experiences, I have no doubt it was never addressed.

12 people found this review helpful

CPO

Thank you for sharing your experience to us. We have zero tolerance for racism or discrimination of any kind. I see that you have decided to move on from Zillow but after reading about your experience; it warrants a closer look. If you'd be willing to discuss this with me privately, I'd like to hear directly from you at dans@zillowgroup.com. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope to hear from you soon.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for, unless you're in the IT Org

Mar 19, 2019 - Security in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks, good healthcare, diversity and inclusion, LGBT awareness, equity, "unlimited PTO" if your manager likes you.

Cons

There is ZERO career development in the Zillow IT org, most particularly in the Security space. The company claims to take security seriously, but doesn't anywhere anymore except on paper. The team has had massive turn over in the past six months. (Which isn't surprising if you consider the level of management turnover in the IT org as a whole.) The annual review system is broken. You can get zero compensation raise and zero equity without an explanation as to why -even if you met ALL of your performance goals and have good manager and peer review. If you ask for some rationale as to how this happened with an entire year of good feedback from management the only response you'll get is, "Let's just focus on the future." The annual review system seems to be based on how well your manager is liked by their manager. None of it makes any sense. So good luck getting a raise. Ever. Honestly, if you are considering work on the security team at Zillow, you shouldn't. You can easily get hired elsewhere in town where the leadership takes security seriously. You can find somewhere where you won't have multiple managers in one year because of turnover. (literally) You can find a place that takes your career seriously. The security team has seen high management turnover, zero career development, can't get traction with other teams, budget gets approved (verbally) then slashed over and over. Then upper management says asks why security hasn't solved for X problem. It's because we have no budget or headcount!

6 people found this review helpful

SVP, Technolgy

Thank you for your feedback on Zillow Group and the Security team, I agree with the Pros you mention above. I will note that while we do not cap our time off, we expect all team members to exercise strong ownership and judgment when taking time away. In 2018 the Security team delivered foundational components to help support ZG business line growth, while improving the partnership between Security, Product Development, and Business Development. To this end, protecting customer trust remains our top priority and we will increase headcount and YoY investment in 2019. There is always more to do to ensure we are supporting our team member’s career goals, and I am confident in our InfoSec leadership as we continue to prioritize Career Development within the organization and across Zillow Group. A cornerstone of this is our Annual Review process where team members and managers discuss their accomplishments for the year, and how their actions aligned to Zillow Group’s Core Values. To reflect and address your comments on career development and attrition, in the trailing 12 months, the Zillow Group IT organization promotion rate matched Zillow Group’s average, while maintaining a lower attrition rate. I would welcome further discussion on this topic. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me at: tobyro@zillowgroup.com.

6. 1.0

NOT OKAY

Feb 8, 2019 - Premier Agent Concierge in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay, lovely benefits, no shortage of snacks.

Cons

Management basically threatened to fire everyone over metrics that are OUT OF OUR CONTROL. Everyone in the Seattle office is FREAKING OUT. I myself have had several panic attacks over this. It baffles me how this company can treat us so different from the rest of the company. Most people got to go home early due to the unsafe snow storm that has started, but everyone in my department was told that their safety isn't their first priority. I don't know how much longer myself, or really anyone else, can take this. Upper management has created an overall feeling of anxiety and depression. Everyone is scared of being fired. Just because they can legally fire people for whatever reason doesn't mean they should use this as a scare tactic to manipulate department metrics. Bottom line: THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN A DEPARTMENT.

20 people found this review helpful

Senior Director, Connections Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Over the course of the past few months, we have begun to communicate a metrics-based success plan. Success plans are standard for ZG and all call centers because these metrics are critical to our business and our overall commitment to our North Star. We understand these metrics are new and we are interested to hear any feedback you may have about them. We strive to provide an environment where everyone feels they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. With this said your safety is our main priority, which is why we gave everyone the option to leave early during the snow storm. We are currently working on an inclement weather plan to make sure we avoid last-minute decisions in the future. I also am pleased to sit down with you to discuss any further concerns or suggestions. Greg Davis Senior Director Connections Experience gdavis@zillowgroup.com

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

Not a place if you want a real career in sales

Nov 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some good in-office perks, good healthcare, great peers

Cons

Complete misalignment when it comes to sales career. Management focuses too much on making sellers do administrative work - answering support calls, dealing with cancellations. It takes away time from selling. Monthly quotas are extremely short sighted. All real software companies have annual or quarterly sales goals. You aren’t allowing your sellers to think strategically and grow customer relationships for larger deals. Zillow promotes employees to managers who hit sales quota, most don’t make good managers - they have no experience coaching or advising rather just focus on looking good to upper management.

7 people found this review helpful

GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone, Senior Director of Premier Agent sales for the NY office. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on your experience as an employee of Zillow Group. We strive to create a dynamic and successful working environment for everyone and appreciate ideas and perspectives like these. If you would like to have further discussion on these topics, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, davef@zillowgroup.com. Thank you.

8. 5.0

Best Company That Actually Lives Their Values

Nov 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Access to upper management at all levels, Transparency of Sr. Leadership, Core Values taken seriously, Focus on people, Great working spaces

Cons

Nothing outside of any company that goes through the growing pains of maturing.

4 people found this review helpful

President of Homes

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts! It’s great to hear that you are having a positive experience working at Zillow Group. Living our Core Values has always been very important to us and they are deeply embedded in how we conduct business both internally and externally. Our culture is an important piece of what makes us unique, and that starts with our great employees. Feel free to reach out to me if you ever want to chat about our culture or have any suggestions on things we can do differently.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Top of the food chain...

Apr 29, 2013 - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Way above average in most respects, decent benefits at a low cost, great perks (fully stocked kitchen, game room, public transportation paid for, lots of free lunches and happy-hours/events) good PTO/sick leave set up. The product is pretty easy to sell, and if you build a good relationship with your clients and coach them effectively, the majority will see success with the product and grow with you long term. Management style varies, but for the most part, if you show up and do your job, (hit your quotas/talk time) you are going to be treated like an adult and able to enjoy a certain level of autonomy, which is nice. The upper-management seems to be constantly pushing the envelope in terms of growing the company and it's partnerships, which is excellent for maintaining our standing as #1 in our industry.

Cons

No 401K match, and the compensation plan has taken a bit of a beating since the company went public (got to keep the investors happy and the bottom line as green as possible) but you can still generate a 6 figure income if you are willing to put your head down and work. They could also communicate some of product changes more effectively to the front line. Over-all, a great company to work for.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Hi, Thank you for the review. I'm glad you're having a good experience here. To respond to some of your suggestions on how Zillow can improve, and just to clarify: the comp plan for salespeople hasn't changed at all due to being public. We do make changes to the sales comp plan frequently, but it's definitely not due to being public. In fact, we don't make any business decisions at all because of financial market reasons. We haven't changed any of our decisionmaking now that we're public - same as it ever was. On the 401K match question, you're right that we offer a 401K but the company doesn't match employee contributions. We've thought a lot about this and have decided not to match for a variety of reasons. The biggest reason why we don't match is because it's a benefit that only applies to the portion of employees who opt in to the 401K. And statistically speaking, it's the more highly compensated employees who tend to opt in to the 401K, so 401K matching is a regressive benefit. This is unlike other benefits (e.g., snacks, lunches, healthcare, fun outings and parties) which are enjoyed equally by all employees. I know this is a controversial opinion, and we do re-evaluate it every year, but I at least wanted to explain our reasoning. Thank you again for the review, and I'm glad that you are enjoying Zillow!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Exciting ride with invaluable experience...

May 2, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy the transparency that our company offers. This starts at the top and is consistent across upper management. Regardless of which office you are located in, the cultural perks tend to follow with each locations special flavor. Being a division of Zillow in Lincoln still allows us to operate independently and focus on our core strengths but also opens the door for collaboration with different offices for new ideas, guidance or assistance on products and cross office mentoring. It is great to work for a company that continues to be disruptive in an industry that is long overdue for innovation.

Cons

Most of my cons working at Zillow are related to the constant motion of internal systems and processes. I understand the need to transition systems, especially when the company is in rapid growth mode but at times it is a challenge to operate efficiently and not be distracted by a new policy or procedure that has been implemented.

2 people found this review helpful