Wave Reviews

4.8
Wave CEO Kirk Simpson
Kirk Simpson
Pros
Cons
  • "Wave is a fast paced work environment that changes constantly(in 9 reviews)

• "The usual growing pains of fast growing tech with different products(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wave is a great company to work for a number of reasons: It's leadership is driven in providing value for their customers first, rather than their own bottom-line; with the belief being that customer-driven decisions will lead to greater returns in the future–and it works. The leadership team is very open about the company's trajectory, its metrics, and the difficult decisions it needs to make. - There's plenty of challenging work to be had. What's more is that they trust you and your expertise to take an idea and run with it, and support you when you when, and if, you need it. - Collaboration and teamwork are paramount to the company's success. Every effort is made to work "across the table" and collaborate throughout the company. There might not be enough resourcing for every initiative; but if you make your case well, you will be supported. - There are plenty of opportunities to learn. Wave is always encouraging its employees to up-skill in both "soft" skills like leadership and team management, and in hard skills, including the latest technologies. Management is open to discussing their employees' career plans and provides resources to help you achieve those goals. It does require self-discipline, but the support is definitely there. - The company really cares for its employees' well-being. This has come to light most these past few months with the outbreak of COVID-19. Daily mental, physical and professional programming has been put in place, should you choose to use it or not. Every effort has been made to make employees feel at ease, and leadership has been candid about what it's planning on doing. They are open to suggestions for better improving company morale.

Cons

Wave isn't for everyone. You need to be self-motivated to thrive here, and be willing to accept ambiguity in your tasks; it's up to you to work your way through it and come up with a solution. As long as you have the patience needed, and the willingness to understand and learn from your colleagues, it will be a rewarding experience.

May 14, 2020Manager, People & Culture

Hey Waver, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. As a veteran Waver, you would have seen many iterations of Wave as we've grown over the years. From the earlier days with <100 people, through to hiring 100 people in <6 months, to the acquisition and now through a pandemic - wow! You've been a part of so many versions of Wave, and it sounds like Wave has helped you evolve into new versions of you, too. We're grateful that you've joined us for the ride and have learned so much along the way. Thanks for being on our team and sharing your experience with us. Thank you!

2. "Different From Anything I Experienced Before"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

Glad I made that decision, Wave is different because of the following • A strong culture and values in practice beyond just catchy words • A notable mission that touches many peoples' lives in a positive way • Supportive environment for your personal and professional growth helping achieve your best • Empathetic and down to earth leadership team • Empowering workplace that encourages creativity and beginner mindset • A well-diverse personable team in thoughts, backgrounds and knowledge

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. I would say the benefits packages could be improved

Continue reading
  3. "Company with a strong culture."

Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON

I worked at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company values their culture and invests a lot of resources in promoting/maintaining it. - Company is very transparent about business performance. - Very collaborative and helpful environment.

Cons

- Startup life isn't for everyone; company has all the usual challenges of a startup (lean budgets, resource pools, etc).

4. "Wave is the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-The executive leadership team really makes an effort to be transparent and honest about what's going on in the business and there's a lot we get to be apart of that typical companies wouldn't share. I really appreciate that they are open with us, especially around co-vid 19 and what we're doing to prevent any lay offs from happening. They're all super humble and encourage us to ask questions which is nice. -The people here are really kind and supportive. I feel like I could ask anyone for help and the answer would be "how can I help?" My team is really great and my Manager is especially supportive and is always willing to hear my perspective. -Lots of opportunities for learning and growth. You can pretty much make your role your own. -We have a lot of paid time off and lots of perks. Dogs, tons of free food and drinks, flexible hours, really nice office, monthly town halls, great benefits.

Cons

-Wave is pretty fast paced, which isn't for everyone. -A bit of a transition from being a startup to after the acquisition which we've had to adjust to. Wave has grown a lot which means there's a lot more faces to remember. -No one is going to tell you what to do or how to do it, so if you're not a problem solver, it's probably not the place for you. -Location isn't core downtown which means there aren't as many lunch options around.

May 14, 2020Manager, People & Culture

Hey Waver, Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective! You're right- we've all worked hard to make sure our entire team feels supported. With covid-19, it's especially important to take care of our team and each other, and I'm glad you feel that support around you. Wave is definitely the kind of place where you have the flexibility and autonomy to make your role your own, knowing that you can always ask for help. We're so glad you feel that way, too. As a veteran Waver, you've seen us grow from an early stage start up to today - thank you for being a part of our journey this far.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The people are all super nice, smart and hardworking - Great company culture - Opportunities to grow

Cons

- There are a few growing pains and changes as the company progresses

May 14, 2020Senior People & Culture Manager

Hey CX Waver! Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts here. We're glad that in your tenure you've been able to come across lots of great people - we're sure you're a contributing factor there too :). Like every company, we're always growing and learning how to do better, and your feedback helps us do that!

6. "Amazing Culture, Amazing Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Team Lead, Risk in Gatineau, QC

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing Work/Life Balance - Supportive of alternative work arrangements - Good Benefits - Amazing company culture

Cons

- Learning opportunities are growing but still limited - No RRSP or retirement planning/benefits

May 14, 2020Senior People & Culture Manager

Hey Waver, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback! We're so glad that as a veteran Waver you've experienced so many great parts of Wave - flexibility, benefits, culture, alternative work arrangements - all of those things can really make a difference for our team! We'll keep working on growing learning opportunities, and your feedback helps make sure we're on the right track for what's really important. Thanks again!

"Nice place, but were do we go from here?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great peers. No jerks! You get to work with relatively modern tech. There are some chunks of legacy code, but people are always working to improve it, and hone their craft. HR are great people and have always had my back when I've needed their support. Lots of very positive feedback from happy customers, which feels great. Middle management is kind and communicative, and upper management isn't bad.

Cons

The company suggests people submit GlassDoor reviews immediately after they start, before they've had enough time to really judge the workplace, so take all reviews here with a grain of salt. I find this extremely dishonest. No compensation for being on-call, which has been standard elsewhere I've worked. The CEO sold us employees a vision of where we could go as an independent company, but then sold the company to a boring foreign giant with different goals and questionable ethics. (You can research and decide how much you care about their issues yourself, but they bother me.) Lots of people left after the acquisition, and the company doesn't seem to be trying very hard to replace them, but is pouring a lot of money into marketing. Not a good sign. Unclear how much room for internal advancement there will be going forward.

Continue reading
  8. "Amazing culture, great room for growth"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is great, everyone is super friendly. Free snacks/food/drinks anytime. Great room for advancement and there is always support for career progression. Management is extremely supportive and does not micromanage. Everyone's ideas are appreciated no matter their position in the company.

Cons

None so far, everything has been great.

Continue reading

"A truly special place where diversity matters"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wave is truly a special place to work. Yes, there are all the general perks of any tech company (free snacks, more coffee choices you can ever imagine, free beer, on-site massage therapists, games room, yoga room etc ) but it is the people that make this place feel like a family. Everyone genuine cares about each other as human beings and this tone is set from the top. Kirk is a one-of-a-kind CEO and is honestly one of the most humble, caring and passionate leaders I have had the pleasure of working with over my 13 year career across multiple organization. The organization doesn’t pretend to be perfect and the level of transparency that they strive for is refreshing, honest and real. I couldn’t ask for anything more from an organization.

Cons

As with any start up, longer term benefits are not as strong as more established organizations (no RRSPs, top ups for supported leaves). Level of autonomy and control over one’s role is very high and isn’t for everyone. No one is going to tell you what to do or how to do it. If you’re not a self starter and relish the opportunity to be a problem solver, then this isn’t the place for you.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are uber friendly and respectful.

Cons

Way to many initiatives and migrations running at the same time.

Found 112 reviews