Wave Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Sep 20, 2019

4.9
Wave CEO Kirk Simpson
Kirk Simpson
Pros
  • "(in 10 reviews)

• "Great company culture, everyone is easy to talk to(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very fast-paced (which I loved, but isn't for everyone(in 7 reviews)

• "There has been tremendous growth which has led to some growing pains(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"People who care"

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone has great energy, all are unified in mission and purpose i.e. strong culture Remuneration Solid e-team Smart people, there's lots to learn Eager people Working with latest tech, diverse problem set

Cons

The usual growing pains of fast growing tech with different products Stress

Wave2019-06-02

July 16, 2019Manager, People & Culture

Hey, Waver! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. You're right - when you work with super smart (and also very kind) people who are all focused on accomplishing amazing things - it's a pretty exciting place to be. We're lucky to have the team we do (yourself included) to help us solve some pretty tough problems. Thanks for taking the time to leave us your thoughts!

2. "This place is truly special..."

Current Employee - V P in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Super bright people who are also incredibly empathetic and welcoming - Awesome facility in a fun & developing area of the city - Mission driven team who really cares about the work they do and the customers they serve - Opportunity to actually make an impact. No micro-managing. Leaders truly empower folks to do what they were brought in to do - All of the goodies you'd expect from a growing tech company... (food, drink, outings, amenities...plus a huge patio with an incredible view of Toronto

Cons

- Fast pace and requirement to be accountable aren't for everyone - Org is still evolving, so career planning isn't always crystal clear (can also be a pro for people who like shaping their own journey)

Advice to Management

You've built something very special here. Stay authentic, stay honest, and really be thoughtful about how you scale such a unique and inspired culture.

Wave2019-09-20
  3. "Wave is honestly the best place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Wave full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture (yes, everyone claims this on Glassdoor, but it's actually true at Wave) - Good (not great) benefits - Excellent support systems - Great work environment - Engaging projects - Phenomenal colleagues - Amazing CEO - Ability to work from home as needed

Cons

- Very limited vacation and sick days (which, in all honesty, aren't really enough for folks with chronic pain or illness) - Very fast-paced (which I loved, but isn't for everyone!)

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work. This company is one to be incredibly proud of. I can't wait to see Wave take over the world!

Wave2019-08-16

September 9, 2019VP, Organizational Effectiveness

Hey Waver! We agree, our colleagues are pretty phenomenal and we appreciate them (and our alumni) for all the amazing work which they do. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

4. "Dreamy... awesome company, really great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of really great, smart people Approachable directors and managers Learning allowance Great group insurance package

Cons

Can be difficult to get critical feedback for growth

Wave2019-08-13

September 9, 2019VP, Organizational Effectiveness

Hey Waver! We agree - lots of great and smart people (yourself included) driving Wave forward! We appreciate you and your feedback. We will certainly strive to do an even better job of getting you the critical feedback you (and all Wavers) require! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant

I have been working at Wave full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to gain new experiences - Great support and feedback from managers - Good communication - Excellent events provided by employer

Cons

- High growth can be stressful

Wave2019-06-25

July 16, 2019Manager, People & Culture

Hey, Waver! Thanks for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. We try to make Wave a place that you'll do the best work of your career - and it's very important to us that Managers are supportive and communicative. We also try to have some fun along the way. Don't forget to take care of yourself along the way - we have lots of resources available. If you need a refresher, feel free to reach out to P&C! Thanks again for taking the time to leave us your thoughts!

6. "Challenging but empowering"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to take ownership - Smart and compassionate people to learn from - Solving challenging problems, both technical and organizational

Cons

- Communication needs to improve at all levels - Performance review is not structured or effective - Located far away from downtown core

Advice to Management

Nothing specific - lots of growing pains but we are figuring things out.

Wave2019-05-11

July 16, 2019Manager, People & Culture

Howdy, Waver! Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts with us. We strive to be an environment where everyone is always pushing to be better, and growing along the way. Communication (just like collaboration) is always a work in progress, and we all have to do our part in that as we continue to grow. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the performance review structure. I encourage you to reach out to your P&C partner who can have a more in-depth conversation about your feedback around the performance review. Leslieville isn't too far - about 15 minutes from downtown - and the food is just as good!

"Customer Support Specialist"

I have been working at Wave full-time

Pros

Great people, great job, people actually care

Cons

Pay is low, pay increases are also low

Wave2019-04-17

July 16, 2019Manager, People & Culture

Hey Waver, Thanks for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. We're lucky to be an environment with a great team, doing work that makes a difference in the lives of entrepreneurs. We're happy to report that we survey the market and conduct extensive external research on compensation an ongoing basis, and that allows us to pay accordingly. In addition to salary, there's also 100% covered benefits, a wellness allowance, education allowance, conference budget, stock options, and many other great perks that also feed into a comprehensive compensation package. The great thing about Wave is that there's always potential to grow & learn, and there's no limit to your success!

"Product Designer"

Former Employee - Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Wave full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everybody just gets everything done. There's no quarter by quarter planning, teams are pretty autonomous and just get the work done. CEO is fantastic, the best I've worked with.

Cons

Can't think of any cons to be honest.

Wave2019-04-08

July 16, 2019Manager, People & Culture

Hey, Waver! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. With our recent news with H&R Block, that will allow us to balance both short & long term planning to help us continue to do more great work. We're very lucky to have the team we do - Kirk, and you, included! Thanks for taking the time!

"Amazing Environment"

I have been working at Wave full-time

Pros

Wave is a super exciting place to be. The culture is outstanding. I've worked for multiple start-ups as well as large corporations and I've never been a part of something like this. The team is full of genuinely kind, thoughtful and supremely intelligent people. There are lots of opportunities to grow and develop leadership skills as well as formal ways to seek mentorship.

Cons

You'll never find a perfect work place, but Wave sets the bar high.

Advice to Management

Great work & superior on-boarding experience. Let's pick up the pace and keep moving!

Wave2019-04-02
  10. "So close to something big"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wave full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is starting to evolve in very exciting ways. The company's been in an in-between kind of stage for the past year, and starting to come out of that to build momentum again. Lots of exciting things on the horizon. I'm more excited to be here now than I was the day I joined. If you know how to navigate a high-performing team environment, you'll do well here. Lots and lots of opportunity.

Cons

There's been a lot of change, which isn't for everyone. And for some teams there hasn't been enough change for a while, which isn't for everyone. The place is still figuring out how to figure itself out with everything that's ahead of us.

Advice to Management

Keep your foot on the gas. You got us all excited for what's ahead of us, now start driving towards that. You had us all chomping at the bit, don't lose that impulse.

Wave2019-03-31