Top Hat Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2021

3.6
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze
Pros
  • "Free lunch parties great learnings(in 37 reviews)

• "When it was in the office you had a catered lunch(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor remote working structure, unorganized leadership and extremely high turnover rate(in 17 reviews)

• "Very fast paced, not necessarily a bad thing but be ready to have a lot going on(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"What an incredible first 6 months - even fully remote!"

Current Employee - Strategic Business Development Analyst in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working in a growing industry that is making waves across North America - Incredible Executive team who are approachable and trustworthy - The hiring team is fantastic and bringing in the best and brightest - They care about people's mental health

Cons

- A huge selling feature was the office culture, which due to COVID has been put on hold. That being said, if you are the type of person to put yourself out there and meet people virtually, you will find there is office culture even while working remotely.

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

great team and management, good product, lots to learn, fair pay and benefits, decent work/life balance

Cons

sometimes too fast-paced, lots of changes that are done for the sake of experimenting

3. "Opportunity to learn sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Top Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn sales and make a lot of money

Cons

I don't know if there is any cons for the people who put their head down and work hard.

4. COVID-19

"Great start for a SaaS sales career"

Former Employee - BDR in Toronto, ON

I worked at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Incredible people. The interview process brings driven, intelligent, and personable people to the company. - Free lunch (pre-pandemic). - Office location (pre-pandemic). - Remote working environment. TH pivoted very well to remote working (helped in part by using the platform for team-building exercises). - Mentoring/Learning culture. There will always be an avenue for you to learn, whether that be your teammates, senior co-workers, or your manager. Of course there are some exceptions, but the majority of people are willing to lend a helping hand and give meaningful advice. - Product. The product is great and fixes a lot of problems within the higher education system. - Training. The initial training is fantastic, especially if you don't have much sales/SaaS experience. Very digestible and rooted in solid sales methodology. - Progression. Don't expect incredibly rapid progression that you would find at a start-up, but they do promote internally quite frequently.

Cons

- The workload. You will work very hard. If you don't, you will not hit anywhere near your target. Some people don't expect this and fail as a result. - Pay. The pay is far, far below industry standard. But since they often hire people without experience, and because it's not true B2B sales, this makes sense. - Lack of transparency. As mentioned by some other reviews, there is a gap between what is espoused by upper management and what is actually the case (at times). For example, a salary increase was communicated to AEs using a powerpoint presentation that falsely claimed lower positions would also receive a salary increase. Also - the targets/OTE specifications are unrealistic . No one on my team hit target (apart from a couple months here and there). This may have changed since my experience.

5. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mentorship provided if you find the right people to talk to

Cons

Compensation is very low compared to other market

"Not great"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

People there have good intentions

Cons

Lots of bugs in the company

7. "Account Exectuve"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast growth and straight forward roles

Cons

There can be a lack of transparency

"Poor Management Entry level sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

there are pros in top hat and they are entry level sales

Cons

management is awful as is the structure - it is a good launching company to your next

9. COVID-19

"Great Perks, Great Onboarding, Great Team, Great Work-Life Balance!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Hiring during a pandemic can never be easy and the same can be said about the onboarding process. The first 3 weeks of the role were spent in "RevU" which was an extremely beneficial learning process where we learned everything about Top Hat, the platform, and the history of the company! As a new hire, the information overload was definitely overwhelming at times but everything learned was immediately relevant to the job we are doing. RevU slowly walked us into the world that is Top Hat and I was very appreciative of the extensive onboarding process. - The people here are GREAT! I have not spoken to one person throughout my first 2 months that hasn't been extremely welcoming and friendly. - CEO Mike actually sat in for a 30 minute Q&A during our orientation day which was an immediate reflection on the company and their investment on the talent that they bring in - Top Hat set me up with all the technology necessary to complete my job (Macbook Pro, External Monitor, Laptop stand, as well as any other necessary accessories) - Top Hat uses a lot of external tech to ensure that everything runs smoothly across communication channels, health benefits, time-off requests, calendar and email, CRM, etc. (a lot of new programs to learn but definitely aids in the efficiency of your job) - Consistent communication from leadership, virtual Town Hall every Friday where key figures in the company discuss changes, things to look forward to, and take in suggestions or comments from employees - Your voice is always heard at Top Hat no matter what position you are in! - Weekly feedback/coaching from managers to ensure that you are receiving every resource necessary to be effective at your role - Great work/life balance, never find myself stressing too hard about the days to come and complete understanding from management if there is ever a time constraint or conflict Honestly, it's been a great 2 months (even working remotely) and I have had a fantastic transition into my first post-graduate role. I can't wait for what's to come in the future!

Cons

None I can think of!

Continue reading

"Great experience so far!"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

I joined the team remotely a couple of months ago. Super welcoming team. The onboarding was surprisingly really great even though it was virtual, it was informative and as fun as it could be. It's obvious that leadership on my team really cares about our professional growth and development. Weekly 1:1s with my lead are really nice to connect and discuss any pain points or questions I have. The company itself is energetic and feels like a community. From what I can tell so far, everyone here really believes in what they do and truly wants to make learning better for professors and students.

Cons

Although working from home has been good, I am eager for the office to reopen when it's safe.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 276 English Reviews