Top Hat Reviews

Found 327 of over 351 reviews

3.8
Top Hat CEO Joe Rohrlich
Joe Rohrlich
Pros
  • "Free lunch parties great learnings(in 38 reviews)

• "When it was in the office you had a catered lunch(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor remote working structure, unorganized leadership and extremely high turnover rate(in 17 reviews)

• "Very fast paced, not necessarily a bad thing but be ready to have a lot going on(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Jul 28, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company culture, with many events! Great product that is a leader in this space. Lots of potential for growth

Cons

The company has lower salaries for first-time employees. There isn't too many cons to say to be honest. Good luck to the team!

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company culture

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive team members and team leads. Excellent onboarding. Consistent training and access to resources was very valuable. Internal processes at Top Hat are extremely organized.

Cons

a very young culture so sometimes it was a bit of a cliquey environment

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Moving fast to change the world for the better

Feb 11, 2021 - Senior Director, Internal Communications & Employer Brand in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Our mission. The work we do is having a big impact on educators and students. And through them, society as a whole. That's a pretty cool thing to wake up to everyday. + The people. Whip-smart folks with diverse experiences and backgrounds who care about each other and our customers. + The market opportunity. The pandemic has accelerated the digital transformation of higher ed. What was taking years to change in academia is now happening in just months. More than ever, educators and students need a solution like Top Hat. + The future. Top Hat just entered our next phase of aggressive growth with a Series E fundraise and a new CEO appointment. Top Hat is poised to become Canada's next narwhal - all we need to do is execute.

Cons

+Top Hat isn't for everyone. We move fast. Being agile and capable of dealing with ambiguity is a must-have. + Risk of analysis paralysis. We have an intense focus on metrics, and sometimes that gets in the way of getting actual work done. + Seeing the forest through the trees. Like every fast-growing company, it's sometimes tricky to see the bigger picture.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Wouldn't be anywhere else!

Mar 17, 2021 - Business Development in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

TALENT: you get to work with some of the smartest, most ambitious, incredibly talented group of people in the gta! ROLE: room to explore different roles and end up in the role where you feel most skilled and fulfilled COMMUNITY: strong community feel with weekly company-wide meetings with lots of great speakers, panelists, informative sessions on company strategy, feel very involved from day 1

Cons

- siloed decision making top down, all depts needs to communicate with each other more and follow better processes for innovation

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent

Jun 29, 2021 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- minimal complexity in the sales cycle - lots of young vibrant personalities - solid tech stack - competitive base for SMB AE

Cons

- impossible quotas (less than 10% of AEs hit) - no room for growth - outdated sales tactics

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good company with lots of opportunities

Jul 21, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thorough training, great internal support, lots of room for growth.

Cons

Not too many cons... pretty good company to work for.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A great product that has potential but managed by clowns

Jul 11, 2021 - National Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- you meet, for the most part, amazing, smart, bright and talented people - the office was a great place to work in - if you’re lucky, you’ll have the best manager on the floor - pre-pandemic: fly out to campuses, meet cool professors and actually make a difference in classrooms - if you’re liked and hit your numbers, easily promoted. Can build a great resume here - can learn a lot of hustling skills if you’ve never worked at a fast paced sales company

Cons

- all of the male managers don’t actually know how to manage people - the new CEO is a joke: claims to want diversity, apologizes for hiring his white, male friend as CRO and then “celebrates” that we hired a female legal exec, “but she’s good at what she does” ???? - diversity and inclusion has tanked: in order to “not hurt peoples feelings”, they candy coat things and don’t address real world issues that employees are struggling to cope with outside of their jobs. I’d prefer no DIB vs one that makes you feel even worse about where you work at - quotas are actually a joke and make no sense. One year, your quota is 150k, the next it’s $270k. What’s changed in a year to almost double a quota? - marketing is the biggest joke and clown show. No other company I’ve EVER worked at saw no leads unless they actually had no marketing team. Throughout my 3 years there, I saw maybe 2 inbounds come in - let’s talk about the shady rules of engagement. You have managers that will burn every bridge so that they hit their numbers, fudge the numbers of class sizes and completely steal a sale away from a rep due to class size changing, which the rep nor the professor has no power or control over. Imagine being the customer, building a relationship with the person helping you integrate this tool in your class and then it switches up just because the class size is different? It shows that the company doesn’t care about its users, and only their pockets. Not a good experience and definitely wouldn’t recommend to a colleague. - bullies are promoted to roles in management. This feedback is shared, seen and recorded and nothing is done about it so you tell me what this actually says about a “forward thinking company” - onboarders: I am sorry for how you are treated by everyone at the company. I am sorry that your risk pipeline is due to not your ability in getting a prof excited about the tool, but due to class size reduction, class being cancelled or not offered or even the professor passing away. Your renewal pipeline is always held accountable by you even though the above is NOT YOUR FAULT but this company says “well, you didn’t but your numbers so no bonus after taking on 100hrs a week back to back calls with people who have never used a piece of tech in their lives” - I don’t know who needs to do it, maybe marketing, but own up to your mistakes Top Hat. You’ve burned a lot of schools, partner schools even, and don’t even want to use you because your name is top hat and pestered the hell out of these poor profs just trying to teach and so their jobs.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Opportunity to make a real difference for students and educators

Feb 17, 2021 - Director in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

* With Top Hat's past growth and future ambitions, we get to help thousands of professors and their students. Hearing customers talk about the work they've been able to do using Top Hat is so motivating. * Amazing colleagues - Top Hat hires incredibly smart, driven and caring people * Career growth: I started as an individual contributor and have had tremendous opportunity to learn and grow in my years at Top Hat. There are plenty of challenges to tackle, and lots of opportunities for those who work hard. * Recently introduced parental leave benefits for tenured Top Hatters shows a willingness to invest in and support employees who have stuck with the company

Cons

* Focus: as an ambitious company with big goals, we're good at pivoting and responding, but the flip side is that we're not always great at prioritizing fewer things and focusing on them. * This environment is not for people looking to pass the time in a 9-to-5. You'll get to work alongside hard-working, motivated colleagues but there is LOTS to get done. * Change is a constant. That can be really exciting (I've never had the chance to be bored here!) but can also be unsettling at times.

8 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Better than average

Jul 4, 2021 - Customer Success
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, this is the best when you spend a good portion of your day with them.

Cons

Pay is barely livable wage, lower management lacks experience, not as much focus on career development as I expected.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Jul 14, 2021 - Senior Sales Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, great food, nice workspace, convenient location

Cons

Long interview process but understandably.

2 people found this review helpful