Top Hat Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free lunch and trips to Toronto (in 22 reviews)

• Catered lunch every day (very good) amazing coffee machine (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them (in 12 reviews)

• Definitely not a 9-5 job, can be disorganized at times (in 7 reviews)

1. "Hard-working people, great office culture"

Current Employee - Educational Project Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Educational Project Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Young, intelligent, highly driven individuals
    - Fast-growing business
    - Amazing office space and office location
    - Catered lunches
    - Employee culture

Cons

- You will be working a lot of late nights at the office

2. "Amazing workplace!"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

- Very intelligent, hard-working, friendly, and helpful colleagues
    - Interesting and challenging work
    - Supportive leadership: Gives useful feedback; solicits and values employee input; coaches staff effectively on new tasks; pleasant to work with
    - Fun work environment
    - Free breakfast and lunch everyday!

Cons

- The company is still in its growth stage so compensation tends to be slightly lower than the bigger establishments.

Advice to Management

Keep up with doing the great work and be consistently rigorous with only hiring the best people for every position.

3. "Account Director"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and friendly people, lots of available extra curriculars.

Cons

If you are going to work in sales, the model is straight out of 1987. It's straight cold calling, and inbound leads are not seen as valuable as the marketing department is quite weak.

You essentially MUST read out of a script and make 100 calls per day. That, alongside about 3 demos is your every day. It gets very tedious and monotomous.

All the managers have very different styles, and they really dont take into account your personality with your manager's style.

Advice to Management

Your turn over is high in sales because there's little room for creativity. Your current system does make sales, but it isn't sustainable into the future. You should be providing BDR's with some kind of MQL, invest more in your content strategy, and get more creative on how to get in front of professors instead of dialling for dollars.

Everyone spends time online, you just haven't taken the time to figure out where they do.

You need to invest more into your marketing and PR. Having a 50 person sales team and 5 person marketing team just doesn't make sense.

"Loved it there!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at Top Hat. Happily didn't have a single negative social experience. My peers were all super smart, fun and friendly.

The engineering management was very pleasant. Interactions were personal, and I always felt like I was being invested in.

Great project managers + designers made my life as a developer really easy and straightforward. Something that I definitely took for granted.

Cons

There were some growing pains due to the scale at which they were hiring. But nothing major.

"Top Hat"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

-Environment is relaxed
    -Great people to work with
    -Aggressive sales & learning opportunities
    -Catered lunch each day

Cons

-Lack of management ability
    -Lack of structure and manager-employee transparency
    -False promises
    -#'s mean little here
    -Playing favoritism (must play the social game)

7. "Fast paced and full of opportunity!"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As one of Canada’s fastest growing startups, Top Hat is an incredible place to work. The company culture on the sales floor is positive and motivating. As many have mentioned, the training here is incredible. Having worked in sales for other than companies in the past, I can truly say I have learned more in just a few short months than I ever have. Opportunities at Top Hat are really available as long as you are performing and make your career path known. Really a great place to work with great people who are highly motivated!

Cons

Growing pains. The company has great plans to make this growth seamless but scaling at this rate can be a bit rocky. In my option Top Hat is on the right track and these growing pains will settle soon!

Advice to Management

Keep being open and transparent!

8. "Great culture and a fantastic place to build your career"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Top Hat for close to a year and I love it. The culture is fun but demanding, pushing you to achieve your goals. I have worked in many sales organizations and this is one of the best in terms of management, perks, office culture, work/life balance and compensation. If you don't like to work hard, then sales isn't for you.
    We are growing exponentially and as such, things are constantly evolving which keeps it interesting and those who work hard will do well and find promotion opportunities internally.
    Lots of travel and growth opportunities here and free catered lunch every day!

Cons

Since we are growing so quickly, there are a lot of silos between departments but the management is actively changing this and evolving our processes.

9. "Great growing company that is facing some growing pains (BUT is still worth it)"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top Hat is a place to come and learn how to be good. A lot of other companies will poach people from Top Hat because they know only the best get hired here and then the training is second to none. They also know after being here for more than 6 months you will have more experience than someone with 3 years of experience in the same role somewhere else. Awesome new Yorkville office with free lunches and great work perks have improved the 'Startup' vibe, but make no mistake this company is at 250 employees and growing FAST so it's not 5 people in a room sitting on bean bag chairs, this company WORKS.
    Highlights:
    - fun and energetic office with lots of young and talented people to learn from each and every day
    - lots of room to grow - there are a lot of opportunities here to try new things and get promoted faster than almost any other company this size or bigger
    - they are genuinely trying to make a difference in education - and that's something to be proud of

Cons

One of the unfortunate downsides of working at the fastest growing company in Canada is that is has a lot of growing pains. Some are expected, some are entirely unexpected, but they can all be frustrating if you aren't prepared for it. The biggest pains are the high turnover and poorly set expectations, both of which you should expect from a company that has doubled in size within the year and wants to continue to innovate and try new things.

The turnover is very high, for two reasons - first, since it hires such top talent, other companies constantly poach talent from Top Hat (good for the people leaving, not for the people still here covering their accounts). Second, the quota can be high and not everyone is set up for success - trying new things with new employees has not always worked out.

Expectations are not always accurate because the initiatives have never been done before. There's new managers leading new teams in a way the company is trying to test the efficacy for - this is something all startups MUST do, but unfortunately it is sometimes at the expense of employees who these new endeavours do not work out for.

Advice to Management

Try to identify what each employee expects when joining, and then continue to check in to make sure those expectations are being met and that new needs are being addressed. While short term goals are constantly set, long term development goals are sometimes forgotten.

10. "The greatest launching pad for a sales career"

Current Employee - Account Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Travel to some really cool and interesting places
    2. Greatest people in the world work here
    3. 1 on 1 coaching with managers makes you a master of inside/outside sales
    4. Lunch/snacks, fancy coffee and pop machine, team outings and a great culture!

Cons

1. Sometimes new initiatives can become pretty distracting
    2. Employee retention could be better
    3. Days can become pretty repetitive
    4. A lot is requested of AD's and it's tough to manage one's time to get it all done

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding and recognizing employees demonstrating continued success. Also, continue thinking of innovative ways to make employees excited to come to work.

11. "Good"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Not very organized at organizing people objectives