Smart Home Works Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Company to Work and Grow With"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Smart Home Works full-time

Pros

Unlimited opportunities to sell the product with ample training and incentives made this place a challenge and flexible workplace.

Cons

As any door to door job, there are some rude people out there that think they should not be bothered at home. This can be frustrating since there is no minimum pay - if you get off on the wrong foot one day it can damage your performance.

Advice to Management

The incentives were somewhat rare, although grand (there was a Tesla car up for grabs when i was leaving)

2. "Great people but tough business"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Smart Home Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always encouraging people around you. Great opportunity to move up. Start training people will give you some extra money. Managers are always there for you. If your agents are making money then you are making extra money

Cons

The nature of the business is hard to sell to. Commission base job.
    Hard to sell products = hard to make money.
    You can spend 2 weeks with out a paycheck

Advice to Management

Give a base salary + commission! Instead of only commission. People need to eat

3. "Smart Home Works is a Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Business Development Agent in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Business Development Agent in Toronto, ON

I worked at Smart Home Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Engaging work
    -The team made it feel like a family
    -Management is fair and makes you feel at home
    I would recommend anyone with a good work ethic to work at Smart Home Works

Cons

You have to work hard and smart to be successful here, its not for people just looking for regular job, it requires passion and commitment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thanks for making my experience working for you so enjoyable.

"Stop lying and misleading people"

Former Employee - HVAC- Pre Inspector in North York, ON
    Former Employee - HVAC- Pre Inspector in North York, ON

Pros

They are friendly , but can't think of anything

Cons

Using fancy titles to trick people to work
    Using fancy salary numbers to trick people to work for them
    It is a door to door job( They dont tell you this at first straight up )
    Making you lie to people

Advice to Management

Be honest with people from the first step in interview . mention at first it is a door to door job . dont waste people's time

6. "Cool Company!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Smart Home Works (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with this company for a few months and so far I've loved my time here. The employees and staff are great, I've already been promoted in my position and I'm constantly taking on more responsibility.

Cons

This job takes lots of dedication. If you're not willing to work your butt off, this job isn't for you. If you're driven, you will be very successful with this company.

Advice to Management

Consider cross training employees in different departments. Keep up the great work.

"Lying Company"

I worked at Smart Home Works full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, none none none none

Cons

They shut down shop and switched to ( Municipal Water Savingss

Advice to Management

Stop lying and misleading people

8. "The best is yet to come"

Pros

Smart Home Works is a fantastic place to work. I have enjoyed almost every day that I've worked here due to the support / opportunities, the people and friendships formed.

There's a great "get things done" process put in place in the office, but also a good work/life balance. I really appreciate that our company allows flexibility in our workday, I find this shows trust and confidence from management which motivates me to do the best I can.

Cons

Being a smaller company, emotions can run high and work loads can be significant, however, that occasional high stress atmosphere can spawn great creativity, innovation, and rewards as a team.

9. "Not for the faint of heart!"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Smart Home Works full-time

Pros

The work was not easy, I was challenged everyday and constantly faced with new problems. I knew it was the only way for me to develop as a worthwhile employee; as well as, a person. This job experience forced me to grow and I gained new-found confidence. I have developed into a stronger individual, I am more solution minded and new responsibilities don't scare me (and cause me anxiety!).

This is what I look for in employment now, being a bit older I realized that it's not enough to make $400 dollars per week in a warehouse, just doing the same thing everyday (Not that I'm judging anyone who chooses that life but I've done it. I've worked everywhere). That's why I went back to school, to find something engaging and meaningful. I was tired of giving 200% at a job and having the boob next to me giving 75% effort and making the same money.

I have made life long friends and made great networking contacts through my experience here.

Some of my highlights: Promoted to Trainer within a short time (7 weeks); Hard work and effort was noticed and I received appreciation; Allowed me to try many hats to see what I enjoyed most and helped me to develop my skills (teaching and developing classes, interpersonal skills); Mentor-ship with manager helped to develop my personal finance savvy and life management skills in order to succeed; Helped me to find a placement opportunity within the company to complete my current degree.

Cons

I had to leave the company to go back to school, they did not offer any part-time positions.

Advice to Management

Personal coaching helped change my life and outlook. I am eager to try new things professionally and have learned to take control of own my personal finance.

"lies"

Pros

no pros for this job

Cons

stupid door to door. they lie about everything

"LIARS AND MISLEADERS!!! DO NOT APPLY!!!!"

Former Employee - Door to Door Sales in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Door to Door Sales in Toronto, ON

Pros

Nothing, unless you like walking around for 8+ hours and being harassed by people and management, with it being PURELY COMMISSION BASED.

Cons

I have alot of of things to say but will keep it point form so it will be easier to read.
    - Smart HomeWorks was formally known as Eco Energy Services, they just switched up their name to trick customers.
    - During the group interviews it said we would be making 500-1000 dollars, which is completely false, as this is PURELY COMMISSION BASED.
    - From my time working here, we often had to trick customers to get sales by telling them they'll have pay less switching over to our rental program. After a month I got in touch with a client I sold the unit too, he said he was paying substantially MORE due to rental fees!
    - Management always talks about how fast the company is growing. but never share financial information. If the company is so reputable and fast growing, why change the name of the company and still have your employees do door to door?
    - All of the employees that work hourly jobs at the office are WOMEN that give off weird vibes, indicating they must have done something with the upper management to get the job (If you know what I mean).
    - If you make it to the second round of the interview, DO NOT GO!!! They'll send you off to a different area like Vaughn or Mississauga to do Door-to-Door with the "Team Leader". They don't even tell you anything about what you are going to do UNTIL you're actually there! If you forget your lunch too bad for you, because you're going to be walking around knocking on doors starving for 8+ hours.
    - This company and management has no sense of morals or ethics, they keep this company private so they don't have to follow Ontario labour laws, so you can't do anything to them legally.
    - Once you're in the house inspecting the furnace, if it's over 8 years of age you're instructed to call the management in which they'll tell you to leave the house so they can come and close the deal. But the thing is you don't know if they actually close the deal or not, I had an experience in which they did but fail to give me my money essentially telling me the deal didn't do through but for a fact I know it did, I even called the client. I had asked why but they told me to basically shut up.
    - By the way, all the positive reviews you see on this site and many others are ALL written by the management trying to make this sad excuse of a company look respectable.
    - There are many many many more cons about this company but nothing comes to mind at this moment, please don't make the same mistake I did and do not apply, call the police if they knock on your door, we were taught to be aggressive at the door, essentially teaching us to have no respect for the home owner's property.
    - There was an instance where an immigrant came to Canada looking for work, where we needed to support his two kids. I told him this is a purely commission based job, he laughed at me and told me it isn't, because the lady conducting the interviews told the group our base pay would be 500-1000 dollars. After his training going from door to door, he was never heard from or seen again. This just indicates what this company would do just to trick people into doing the dirty work for them!
    - Management often closes your sales, if you aren't entering houses they often call you and basically tell you to get your butt into gear when they are basically just in their cars sleeping, watching youtube videos, or just on their phones. They see us nothing but their slaves.
    - Again please don't apply, biggest waste of time ever! working a 10-8pm+ job while not earning a single cent is not worth it!

Advice to Management

Stop misleading people during interviews, tell them straight up it's a door to door job that is purely commission. What you guys do is purely sickening and unethical. Will surely tell all my peers to slam the door if you guys ever knock on their houses.