Cover image for PCL Construction

Found 894 of over 1K reviews

4.1
PCL Construction President and CEO Dave Filipchuk
Dave Filipchuk
Pros
  • "The company is Employee Owned so benefits there if you buy stock(in 72 reviews)

• "Employee owned, great benefits, family culture(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work / Life Balance (construction industry)(in 70 reviews)

• "Long hours, salaries lower that market(in 73 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of PCL Construction and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Nov. 1, 2022 - Project Manager in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent comp Great culture Amazing projects

Cons

Work life balance is lacking at times

Continue reading

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review. PCL is definitely in growth mode, and as employee owners, we get to celebrate this success together!

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Not too bad

Nov. 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefit Reasonable wages Friendly coworkers

Cons

Long hours, usually have to work on weekends

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review. Construction can be a challenging industry. We appreciate your dedication to meeting the timelines of some of our more demanding projects, we hope that you feel appropriately rewarded for your hard work.

3. Join the PCL Construction team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 5.0

Good internship opportunities

Oct. 20, 2022 - Digital Designer in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve received great mentorship at PCL, from a variety of colleges.

Cons

The hourly rates and salaries offered is not competitive for entry level positions.

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thanks for your review! Career development and mentorship are strongly supported at PCL. We're glad to hear your team is supporting your PCL journey. We ensure our total compensation is competitive based on market research in your local region.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Hard work does not pay off

Oct. 30, 2022 - Accounting
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people to work with, perks are nice

Cons

Long hours (I was used to 37.5 hrs so not a fan of 40hrs +). A lot of staff turnover. Don’t go to HR with any issue cause they’ll throw you under the bus. Not flexible with work life balance. They boast about their great mental health support, but it’s a farce. They are not supportive at all. It was a great place to work in the beginning but I’m glad I moved on. My mental health and work life balance has very much improved

Continue reading
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

PCL- People (Employees/ subcontractors) Come Last

Nov. 15, 2022 - Administrative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Initial culture appeared positive and hopeful.

Cons

- Expect to be discriminated against with a "healthy" mix of poor work-life balance; - Lied about wage during interview; - Lied about duration of work shift & hours, then expected to transition shift into night shift without discussion; - Did not pay for travel (gas or mileage) or provided a bussing service; - Expect to use your personal phone and own data for work purposes; - Expect to pay out of pocket for all your own support courses unique to the specific job; - Expect to bring your own stationary to work; -Fear driven work culture that incite political or workplace goals through emotional manipulation; - On site training was dismal at best due to ergophobia; - Favour economic company savings over fair wage and proper support supplies; - Accepted TOXIC work environment within the immediate office group; - Unsupportive management and leadership; - Expect to be ostracized or ridiculed if you demonstrate any form of positive human nature. - Treatment of injured workers during incident investigations was… disturbing!

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Oct. 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great workplace. Nice team. Great boss

Cons

I don't have any problem with the company

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review on your PCL experience!

8. 5.0

Good Work Environment

Oct. 7, 2022 - Field Coordinator in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of company events, great share bonus return, amazing people to work with.

Cons

Sink or swim; if you cant teach yourself and expect to get by with the bare minimum this is not the company for you. Communication skills and speaking up for yourself is a must. Base salary is slightly below average however total compensation is rewarded for long term employees (>8+ years).

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

We appreciate your feedback. As part of our total compensation package, we make sure to do annual research on salaries to ensure employees are rewarded fairly based on their region. We also offer extensive benefits and retirement plans. As you mentioned, being an employee-owner is also very rewarding and allows us to celebrate success together!

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Standard of excellence

Oct. 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- outstanding long-term compensation - good working conditions - makes the world a better place - stable and diverse

Cons

- High expectations can be hard to meet for some people - Differences between - Conservative culture - Very limited flexible / hybrid work

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Our organization is dedicated to building infrastructure and contributing to the improvement of the communities where we live and work. As employee owners, we're accountable to curate working conditions that retain team members driven to make a difference. Working in construction can be challenging, but rewarding. We appreciate the time and effort that you dedicate to building a better future, together.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

SP project department, supportive work atmosphere.

Oct. 18, 2022 - Supervisor in Surrey, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

supportive co-workers Nice and smart people around. Knowledgeable Superintendents.

Cons

Night shift frequently Wage improvement cannot catchup inflation

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review!

11. 5.0

Great Experience

Sep. 29, 2022 - Project Accountant in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and stable job

Cons

mostly old ppl working there

Human Resources Specialist, North American Headquarters

Thank you for your review. PCL has a diverse, inclusive workplace that is composed of employees of all ages. We hire about 500 students a year and our quarter-century club is growing! This club is a testament to our loyal team members that choose to build their careers with PCL.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 894 Reviews
    </>Embed

PCL Construction Reviews FAQs

PCL Construction has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,138 reviews left anonymously by employees. 82% of employees would recommend working at PCL Construction to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, PCL Construction employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at PCL Construction. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

82% of PCL Construction employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated PCL Construction 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with PCL Construction Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at PCL Construction? Share Your Experiences

Reviews by Job Title

PCL Construction Photos

+ Add Photo
    PCL Construction photo of: PCL's North American Headquarters holds its first-ever DemoFest, allowing staff to experience the latest in construction technologies
    PCL Construction photo of: PCLers raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation on the Big Bike!
    PCL Construction photo of: PCL's North American Headquarters celebrates its first-ever Heritage Day

PCL Construction Job Seekers Also Viewed

EllisDon Logo
    EllisDon

4.0

Compare

Glassdoor has 1,138 PCL Construction reviews submitted anonymously by PCL Construction employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if PCL Construction is right for you.