MD Financial Management Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.8
MD Financial Management President & CEO Brian Peters
Brian Peters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work /life balance, many employee have the option to work from home" (in 21 reviews)

• "I work in a Flex role which means I work from home for majority of the time" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many changes in too many directions are affecting the work/life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "POOR MANAGEMENT: Not helpful to employees" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at MD Financial Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, various opportunities if you are a high performer.

Cons

Not all people are high performers but feel like they are entitled to promotions and they sometimes create negativity.

2. "Current employee"

I have been working at MD Financial Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture and generally a sincere corporate attempt to strike appropriate work-life balance.

Cons

Limited growth avenues for financial professionals.

Advice to Management

Cherish and stay true to the culture that's been built.

3. "Great atmosphere, management needs improvement"

Current Employee - Trade Representative in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Trade Representative in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at MD Financial Management (More than a year)

Pros

Great work space and company

Cons

management needs to be more organized and more open to allowing growth

4. "Nice place, struggling to be agile while dealing with third parties using waterfall methods"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at MD Financial Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment, good benefits, excellent people, option to work from home most of the time.

Cons

Too many changes in too many directions are affecting the work/life balance.
    Trying to be agile while dealing with third parties entrenched in waterfall methods causes delays and lots of extra work to implement temporary solutions in a hurry until the third party delivers.
    Salary below average.

"Analyst"

I worked at MD Financial Management full-time

Pros

Benefits, pension, some colleagues, gateway into financial services industry

Cons

Disrespectful (and often unqualified) management, nepotism, non-transparent promotion process, limited career opportunities, the list goes on and on unfortunately ...

"Command, Control and Results-At-Any-Cost"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at MD Financial Management full-time

Pros

Some great colleagues.
    Decent benefits.
    Beautiful workspace.
    Relationship with CMA.

Cons

Constant restructuring.
    Negative leadership behaviours rewarded.
    Cronyism.

Advice to Management

At MD I experienced a male executive who tried to withhold a letter of support and told me 'Math is hard and finance is tough' when I wanted to do an MBA. He had two male MBAs on his team and I supposed he did not see me in that type of role.

Years later, I am with another organization. And I am an executive with an MBA. He is at the highest leadership levels at MD - and I know for a fact he holds biased views which he is careful to not show openly. This is the profile of leader who reaches EVP at MD.

"Trade Reconciliation Specialist"

I worked at MD Financial Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, nice work environment

Cons

Low ambition, very limited room to move up, constant turnover, poor management

"Not worth the time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at MD Financial Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company 20 years ago. Not anymore.

Cons

Poor management
    Workers are left going nowhere unless you have been off work for 10 years in which case you get a management job.
    Worst managers I have ever had the chance to work for.
    Pathethic group. Good luck with Scotia Bank.....now there is some karma.

Advice to Management

Get out

"I have been with MD for more than 5 years. Culture is changing, and not necessarily for the better"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at MD Financial Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Reasonable salary. Great colleagues. When I joined well over 5 years ago I was certain I would retire with this firm on the basis of alignment with my core values. Now...not certain.

Cons

There are so many changes in so many different aspects of the business that it is taking away from the value we provide to our members. The viability of a business is arguably in their growth, but one must evaluate at what cost are they willing to undertake to make this happen. Client books are too large to service HNW existing clients, and to continue to bring in new clients. I can assure you my colleagues work hard and long hours, and so it is not from lack of effort. Change should be introduced in reasonable tranches so that the field can continue to service, and continue to add value.

Advice to Management

Too many changes pushed down the ranks that seem not well thought through. Change is necessary as the business evolves. Take care of your employees so they can take care of their members.

MD Financial Management Response

1 May, 2018 – Talent Strategy

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback. We’re grateful for your recognition of our great people. At the same time, we’re sorry that your employment experience with us is not fully meeting... More

"Culture of fear and entitlement (fear for workers entitlement for managers)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at MD Financial Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of free food, ok benefit program, some flexibility for some roles on work life balance

Cons

Food tied to working your lunch hours, fear of job loss used as motivator, clique mentality tolerated in management team, leaders encouraged to keep lists of fireable employees

Advice to Management

Stop changing direction with the wind and value your employees. If your willing to pay thousands of dollars for managers drinks and top hotel stays then step up and pay for standard safety equipment. Don't spend so much time looking for people to let go and spend time on how to motivate them. (Stop playing with peoples lives). First all Med-Ed's are all gone due to cost, (then their back), you outsource facilities and IT departments, slash admin staff, oops too many now lets hire more, wait managers are expensive let's trim them too, talk about creating fear within your workforce.