Kainos Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 14 November, 2018

4.3
Brendan Mooney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible working policy is also available" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great people, great ethos, great future ahead" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team-building is not a concept senior management understands except when it comes to their own jollies" (in 6 reviews)

• "Utilisation targets are high so you need to be happy spending a lot of time on customer site" (in 4 reviews)

"Great place :)"

Current Employee - Test Automation Engineer
    Current Employee - Test Automation Engineer

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people
    Good compensation
    Reliable management
    Clear career path
    Awesome work life balance

Cons

As we are getting bigger we are inheriting more bureaucracy and sometimes it's just tiring :) also for some peeps frequent travelling might be hard as well :)

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and listening to Ur already hired stuff

"Good place to boost your career"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Kainos (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place for career advancement

Cons

there can be times when you are working off-site for long periods

"Strongly recommend and one of the best"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong sense of belonging.
    Fresh Fruit, cereal and Tea/Coffee provided.
    Flexible working.
    Management is very good and generally looks out for the staff and customers.
    Variety of technology used, meaning a better opportunity to learn more.
    Ability to side-step roles within the company.
    Travel opportunity if required.
    Can self-promote to Senior Engineer Level.
    CEO is brilliant and keeps everyone up to date.
    Would strongly recommend to anyone and have to friends who have joined and thought the same :)

Cons

None that I have come across.

Advice to Management

Remember to always be honest with the staff as this will go along way.

"Worksmart - Don't fear the growing pains"

Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's often said that it's the people you work with but it really is the people you work with at Kainos. Whether that be management down to a graduate, you'll always be able to ask for help.

You'll be able to progress your career in a multitude of directions and be treated as an adult. I've previously worked in well known, multinational organisations. I found that I was micro managed and limited in what I could do and say in those environments. I can say that my experience in Kainos has been the exact opposite. I've been able to progress my career in the direction I want to, merely by letting management know my thoughts and working with my career coach to plot a successful path. I'm in control of my own workload as much as possible due to project timelines and constraints. If I need to change how or where I work for personal reasons it's supported, as long as it doesn't impact any deliverables I may have.

Kainos wants us to grow, in and out of the workplace. Specific training is actively encouraged, whether that be gaining additional Workday certifications, in house soft skills or a monetary gift each year via skills for you, to spend on anything you wish to learn.

Regular social activities, where else pays for some free drinks every month?

Cons

We've been a victim of our own success over the last while. This has led to a significant increase in the amount of projects we're being asked to deliver with working across multiple projects becoming more common. I know that this has been acknowledged by the BU and is being addressed, with increased recruitment but also increased recognition for those who are already at Kainos.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff feedback and ideas. This will ensure the Kainos culture of development, opportunity and growth for employees and the business alike is maintained while we move from being a small local IT player to an even more exciting future.

"Best company to work for."

I have been working at Kainos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong sense of belonging
    Lots of autonomy
    Lots of opportunities to travel
    Lots of opportunities to learn new things and progress knowledge
    Fast pace movement on things that can be made better
    The ability to work from home/on the move is amazing
    The ability to just ask for support, even if that comes from Brendan Mooney, is so easy it makes the most stressful days great.
    Everybody meets Brendan on their induction and he makes a good effort to remember you after this. More than this he is a very involved guy, if he has any kind of free time or you see him about and think you need help ASK, he will do his best. Which I have never experienced in a company before.
    The people in Kainos are a specific type and it means that going to work everyday is enjoyable. I have met some of the smartest and most amazing people since starting here and it is safe to say Kainos goes out of their way to accept the brightest and the best.

Cons

A lot of arrogance in the company, takes away from the culture
    Sometimes a lot of "is not my problem" outlook

Advice to Management

Try to make sure the arrogance is eradicated from the company some people have an idea that due to the job they do, they have some special rights. This is massively out of line with the rest of Kainos culture.
    Also make it a little more clear as to what is required to progress to the next band.

"WorkSmart - Hard work but worth it!"

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

People always say the best thing about their work is the people they work with but at Kainos its true! I work with some outstanding people. Thats important to me as the company is growing at such a pace I'm often asked to do things that are "outside my comfort zone". Sure thats difficult but my team and managers are generally supportive. I've also been promoted twice now! so I must be doing something right!

Cons

My manager could be clearer about the opportunities that are out there for me! For example the leadership team talk often about secondment opportunities but there is no clear process for applying. That could be much much better. Our policies and procedures seem archaic compared to some of the customers I've worked with.

Advice to Management

I like the recent changes - I feel that we are once again putting people at the centre of the business. There is still work to be done in terms of clearer communication about the opportunities for me and our processes but that doesn't seem like a difficult task to complete - perhaps needs more prioritisation? Can't wait for the new office in Belfast!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Looks after their employees.
    Great Training.
    High level of skill.
    Opportunity for Travel.
    Flexible.
    Opportunity to move roles - I have been an coder, support engineer, architect, manager, consultant, and am now in sales.

Cons

Growing quite quickly and it's taking supporting functions (travel, finance etc.) a while to catch up. In my view only.

Advice to Management

Look for technical solutions to Travel for example, like concur. Teams of people are great, and they are a great group of people, but it seems a little outdated.

"Unpleasant, expected to be away all week every week. 70 hour week culture."

Former Employee - Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Kainos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in terms of working from home. “They don’t care where you work as long as you get the job done”, I was told. Free fruit in the office.

Cons

Lack of support in terms of carrying out job role, not given resources - either access to people or access to documentation - to do the job, demands to work away all week every week, despite being assured at interview that there would be travel just once a month. Everyone tells of 70 hour weeks. Staff are mainly young in smart - tellingly there are few older staff. Unpleasant, bullying undertone. Contract that says if you leave within a year you need to pay all your training costs back, so people are forced to work away even when they don’t want to. Think carefully before leaving your current role.

Not provided tools, info or access to right people to do the job properly. Manager said “well I never got any support when I started. That’s the way it is here”.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff. Give them the support they require to deliver. Do something about 70 hour weeks which are not healthy or sustainable.

"Worksmart continues to slide from bad to worse. Such a shame."

Former Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - HCM Consultant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Kainos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You'll work with great people for the most part

Cons

The worksmart 'leadership' team should be called the 'lack of leadership' team; incoherent pressure-cooker strategy is driving down quality, real productivity and morale whilst attrition continues to soar.

Atmosphere is awful, overworking is rife and head in the sand approach to complaints continues.

Constant pressure to reduce quality and just get stuff out the door so you can go on to the next billable project.

You have to attend business updates and staff meetings in your own time unless you can bill it to a customer (unfortunately not a joke) and you now have to travel exclusively in your own time unless absolutely unavoidable. No TOIL. No frills. No thanks.

Team-building is not a concept senior management understands except when it comes to their own jollies.

If you'd like to be valued as an employee, paid something close to market rate, be appreciated for working extra hours.. don't hold your breath. To the senior management you're solely a resource who is there to make money and you should thank them for the privilege.

If you're thinking of joining as a workday engagement manager or consultant and want to talk to someone who has been in the business for a while.. good luck finding anyone, the attrition rate is abysmal.

Advice to Management

None of this will come as a surprise to corporate management, sadly the business hasn't taken the action which is required despite all of the red flags in Worksmart. Attempts to tinker with the leadership structure haven't worked. Whilst the current BU leadership team remains in place nothing will change.

10. "Decent all round company"

Current Employee - SSE
    Current Employee - SSE

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

The people in the comoany

Cons

Reward package could be better