Hays Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Alistair R. Cox

1,542 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The recruitment industry is long hours (in 343 reviews)

• Maintaining good work-life balance can be a bit challenging at times (in 93 reviews)

1. "Income and career have no ceiling at Hays. Work hard and you'll want for nothing"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working here about 5 years ago and have been promoted 5 times. If you work hard, you get rewarded - simple as that. The earning potential is limitless and the opportunities for career advancement are endless. I've never seen someone who put the work in, and didn't enjoy it. Fact is that if you work hard, you'll make 6 figures in your second year. There aren't many companies who can offer you that in your second year out of college.

Cons

It's a tough job. Not because it is is Hays specifically, but the industry itself is incredibly competitive. Hays has cracked the code to success and its very much a case of 'follow our lead to succeed'. I've seen loads of people over the years think their way is better and inevitably they miss their targets and end up on glassdoor talking about what a bad place to work it was!

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The negative feedback on here is certainly from consultants who just couldnt cut it......and how dare you suggest it was their fault!!! ;)

2. "Senior Consultant"

I worked at Hays full-time

Pros

Good people, good training, can be financially rewarding.

Cons

Large corporate, decisions made at a PSL level have a knock on effect on staff/morale.

3. "Team Lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promote everyone, it's based on targets achieved. Club trips twice a year for top performers. Leave early Fridays if you meet the billing requirements. Very laid back, everyone swears which is not really a pro but that's how it is. Salary is a joke as is the commission.

Cons

Very senior management including president Vice President and President are obviously of basic education which means they hire people with little to no experience. No one is this company has any business degree or background which shows in behaviour and lack of professionalism. They put people in PIPS and leave them to fail.

Advice to Management

Be professional, it's obvious that you lack basic business principles. The top people shouldn't swear nor should they gossip. You will not get professional employees because you are not professional and an English accent doesn't mean that you are.

5. "career consultant"

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

competitive, merit based. work hard earn more.

Cons

toooooo competitive. managers are on your neck despite our anything

20 Nov, 2017

6. "Fulltime"

Pros

Good work environment for employees

Cons

provides Low Salary and benefits

15 Oct, 2017

Thanks for your review

7. "Senior Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Hays full-time

Pros

Hays supplies many tools to be successful such as great training and a great marketing department. It is one of the most sophisticated recruitment companies in the industry.

Cons

The management style in general involves micro-managing.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employee feedback.

20 Aug, 2017

Thanks for your review

Management is very hands on - we feel it's important for new people to be supported but as you progress and prove yourself you become more autonomous

Thanks for your... More

"Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Hays (More than 5 years)

Pros

Each individual specializes - become expert in your area
    Vibrant culture - young and young at heart
    Approachable senior managers

Cons

Too transactional... in a relational business
    Short term thinking leads to candidates feeling abandoned
    Too much reliance on cold calling for business development
    International transfers are given more promotional opportunities

Advice to Management

Provide equal opportunity to locally educated employees when it comes to promotions, etc.
    Put more emphasis on marketing to gather leads vs. cold calling.... it is hurting your market image.

28 Jun, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Appreciate your comments and your review has been sent to the Canada business to respond to. Thank you and good luck in your future career.

9. "okay to start your career - personal, not factual impression of the company"

Former Employee - IT Talent Broker in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - IT Talent Broker in Montreal, QC

I worked at Hays full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good training.
    stable-ish environement (your account managers can lose their job leaving recruiters confused, recruiters can be switched to departments without their consent)
    party athmosphere

Cons

- talent brokers have to modify the cvs themselvs (no marketing departement to do it for you)
    - talent broker has to create the contract themselvs and focus on the administrative tasks (no hr department that does it)
    - very low pay for what you are doing, but like i said, a great door to start your recruitment career.
    - cult like mentality (they have a slogan saying they are the best recruitment company in the world etc etc)
    - You have certain benchmarks to attain each month not related to placements
    (a certain number of in person interviews or phone calls)
    - Their database isn't that efficient (it takes 4-24h to enter a CV found from linkedin in their system. Must send representation forum for the candidate through the system : therefore you are forced to work `rogue`(find your own solutions) or accept a max 24/h delay with your candidate for the recruitment process

Advice to Management

bi-anually pay raises would be advized / raises based on trimester productivity ?

9 Jul, 2017

Thanks for your review.

I'm not sure how long ago you worked for Hays but our tools and technology are the best in the recruitment industry and have been designed to make our consultants' jobs easy... More

"Recruiter - Typical Agency"

I worked at Hays full-time

Pros

Contract team has competitive salary
    If you're in the right line of business, good money to be made

Cons

Some backstabbing personalities
    Perm team pay isn't competitive
    Very high school type issues

Advice to Management

Not much. Fairly standard for agency.

23 May, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

Could I ask for us to have a more detailed conversation about your comments and experience? You can reach me on 0203 465 0202.

11. "A job life, for the right person"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Hays full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A true meritocracy. Work hard and you will be rewarded. If you need help, Hays offers continuous learning right from trainee up to the President level. An opportunity to forge your own career path with clear targets and achievements at each level. Hays also offered me, and many other people I know in the company the chance to work overseas. A very collaborative team who are always looking out for each other.

Cons

Definitely not the right environment for someone who isn't interested in a highly competitive and target driven environment. Its a skill short market in Canada so there's a constant battle to find the best talent for our clients. You have to be prepared to work hard to get the results for your clients and candidates

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

25 Apr, 2017 – Head of Internal Recruitment

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review - your perception of working on our business is balanced and (in my opinion) on point. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, the review has... More

Showing 1,542 of 1,680 reviews