Esurance Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
Esurance President Jonathan Adkisson
Jonathan Adkisson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They encourage a strong work/life balance" (in 41 reviews)

• "The ability to work from home when needed is a benefit that you can’t put a price on" (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance although constantly talked about was lacking" (in 29 reviews)

• "Upper management is very out of touch" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Sales Agent"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits with good managers.

Cons

Schedule not always what you want

"Good company"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, experience, a great opportunity for those with less experience as they do train employees well.

Cons

Hard, lots of training, long wait for an interview

6 Aug, 2018 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We believe in providing a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as growth opportunities for our associates. As a new hire you can expect a... More

3. "Sale agent"

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team that trains each sales agentis fantastic. They do well in answering questions and making sure they don't leave you feeling like you've been left to fend for yourself. The pay is decent and the commission is nice.

Cons

Metrics are sometimes unrealistic. They count calls you take and will still count them against you even if the calls were directed to you in error. It'll make you question your morals when selling extra things to people who can't really afford what you're selling, but the only way to move up to a bigger sales position is to "advise" that people have things they don't particularly want.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to concerns of ALL associates- not just the ones who are always excelling. I often saw the people who needed help were the ones that were often overlooked.

4. "Statistical Analyst"

I worked at Esurance full-time

Pros

Fairly good culture, laid back.

Cons

The manager makes a big impact in your experience.

5. "BI developer"

I have been working at Esurance full-time

Pros

Company is growing and lot of exposure to business

Cons

No clear direction in analytics

"Not Too Bad"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Esurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work from home. There was no script to read from. They had games in the break room, a small internet cafe and food trucks outside for lunch. During the winter you could see deer walking around outside and they have picnic tables where you can sit under a shade tree and enjoy your lunch. Once a month you had a team meeting which were fun and gave you an hour off the phones. Snacks were allowed at your desk & for Halloween you could wear a costume.

Cons

A typical day meant logging into the system and taking close to 80 calls from customers who were upset that their rates were being raised and why their friend was getting a discount and they weren't. You had to add and remove cars from the policy and give quotes. You had to upsell homeowners and pet insurance. You had to fax LOE to car dealerships and maintain an unrealistic call flow. They have a system where can they see when you are not on calls, how long and how often. Some of the supervisors didn't know the answer to questions that were being asked to them. And your stats were displayed to everyone so the whole company could see how you ranked.

Advice to Management

Make sure the supervisors have basic knowledge of the company.

17 Jul, 2018 – Customer Service Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We have made changes around how we focus and communicate the importance to win as a company within our service team. Our service associates do a fantastic job speaking... More

"Great place to learn and grow!"

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment in which input is valued and sought after. Competitive pay and a focus on work life balance. The organization is very engaged in associate engagement because that shows up in overall service for our clients.

Cons

Benefits package could be a bit better however it's not terrible.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing as it relates to engaging staff and listening to feedback. Keep up the leadership vs managing training with the leadership team. Nice work!

18 Jul, 2018

It's great to see a tenured associate share their thoughts on the direction of the company. We agree - Esurance is the place to be! We remain focused on continually improving the employee experience... More

8. "Sales/Customer Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I worked at Esurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, equal opportunity, like most companies today expect to perform in a quantifiable way so they can justify your career path. Perform well within the matrices and you will be rewarded both financially and with opportunity.

Cons

There wasn't to many downsides, its heavily a computerized company so expect computer proficiency, and there are many performance reviews so you always know where you stand. Work from home is possible but long term work from home is a dead end.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook morale while attempting to fill matrices, some really talented people can be glossed over.

"Good people all around"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are friendly and the culture positive

Cons

Leadership cannot pick a plan and stick with it. Too focused on short term successes.

Advice to Management

Constantly changing your mind on how to achieve goals makes it difficult to care about whatever the latest idea is, since it will go away in a month. People can only handle so many 180s before they lose the desire to follow you with full effort.

18 Jul, 2018

Thank you for your feedback! Our senior leaders have recently visited our offices to share their insights on Esurance's long-term strategy with all of our associates, who are absolutely integral to... More

"Great Place for Long Term Employment"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Professional in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Esurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers with a comfortable & safe environment make this an easy place to go to work at everyday. I have been given the flexibility to occasionally work from home when I need to.
    We have such an accepting and diverse culture that I feel right at home at.

Cons

When an occasional new manager is hired from external instead of being promoted from within, it may take them a while to get used to the culture here. Also, because our roots are in our home office of San Francisco, the accepting and diverse culture is something the "haters" may not be used to and would feel uncomfortable with, even though we are being accepting and welcoming.

Advice to Management

Use the tools you were given in your trainings, don't just adopt a "do as I say" attitude.

18 Jul, 2018

Esurance is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment where everyone is welcome and can thrive personally and professionally. We're glad you enjoy working here and feel at home. We... More