Edward Jones Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Edward Jones Managing Partner Penny Pennington
Penny Pennington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Get used to Door-to-door prospecting" (in 143 reviews)

• "The week of door-knocking in the summer is a great tool to weed out people who aren't cut out for the job" (in 186 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The firm is truly focused on putting clients first. Revenue is the result of taking care of clients and their needs. Once the revenue does start coming in, it's Industry leading compensation, with the potential for unlimited income. Flexibility in working hours allows work/life balance. Constant support and resources, and technology that is the best in the industry. The expectations that were placed on me when I was hired almost 10 years ago haven't changed.

Cons

A LOT of work during the first 5-ish years. Be prepared to make personal sacrifices (ie. spending more time on building your business and less with family and friends) early on so that you can live the life most people only dream about. If you're looking for a job where you can just show up and put in the time to earn a pay-cheque, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we're doing. Highest client satisfaction in the industry didn't happen by accident.

Edward Jones Response

28 Sep, 2018 – FACD program

Thank you very much for taking the time to write Edward Jones a review. At Edward Jones we appreciate everything our employees do to put the Client first. It is understood that the Financial Advisor... More

2. "opportunity review"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Richmond, BC
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

unlimited income potential,great supprt and help from home office and experienced FA,excellent traning and development program

Cons

have to build up your own business ,challenge at the beginning stage

Advice to Management

improve online account system

3. "Not bad if you can commit 24/7 to this job"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Calgary, AB

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good training, decent technology, some very helpful people, ability to really help clients

Cons

Low pay, pressure, expected to work 24/7, vacations frowned upon in the first few years, leaders make up rules and don't stick to them, people are not all treated equally.

Advice to Management

Paymore, expect less, treat everybody equal,

4. "Very fulfilling career with the Best Firm"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding work, with great training, support, mentoring/coaching, great suite of tools and solutions.... really able to offer clients the best

Cons

Very difficult career to get started, but the rewards are worth it!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the field.

"Rigid company"

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Bonuses, good training programs available, potential for profit-sharing, many branch offices, established company

Cons

Rigid rules, antiquated operating procedures, pricey benefits plan, little work/life balance, some advisors are only looking out for themselves, much incompetence, few opportunities for advancement or salary increase.

6. "Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in North York, ON
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in North York, ON

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best training in the industry. Friendly work environment, and a competitive salary. Love the company's culture.

Cons

Get used to Door-to-door prospecting.

7. "Financial Advisor"

I worked at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Working Freedom, Training and Support

Cons

Door Knocking, Heavy loaded work

"Branch Office Administrator"

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Opportunities for bonuses if you work at a high-level branch. Firm bonuses. Profit Sharing and RRSP Matching.

Cons

No job flexibility or perks for BOAs. Health and dental benefits could be better. The focus of the company is on the Financial Advisors and that is it. No opportunities for advancement. A lot of solitude working in a 2-person office.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the BOAs who are basically running the branches. Without us, FAs wouldn't be able to do their jobs.

"Two sides to every story - those who drink the koolaid and those who don't."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Whitby, ON
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Whitby, ON

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training, paid licensing, salary, good image with potential employers when you exit. EJ paid me for well over a year at top whack, licensed me and let me walk away into a bank job. Fantastic!

Cons

1 - very very few advisors are successful because of prospecting. My experience was overwhelmingly of advisors having been grandfathered business, and then pretending to new fa's that propsecting was how they made it. All successful practices are built on referrals not door to door marketing. It's old fashioned and largely pointless.
    2. Too easy to game the system, no interrogation of your pipeline unless you are on performance measures.
    3. Volunteerism - great in principle, but the people supporting you in the field are amateurs. My level leader used to work in fast food management and his technique was built around motivating teenagers, not high achieving experienced fa's.

Advice to Management

Business model is outdated, lose the volunteerism or at least train the leaders correctly.

"Truly a Unique Culture and Business Model"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started off as a successful financial advisor in the field. After returning from my maternity leave, I accepted an offer at home office as a Senior Recruiter. The management here truly cares to retain top talent and offers opportunities to develop and accelerate your career. I have experience working at one of the big 5 banks, there is definitely a difference in environment and culture- it's one that nurtures growth and limitless possibilities for your career. Edward Jones respects and nurtures the family first principle for its employees and clients. I feel grateful to have found such a client centric firm!

Cons

Presence in Canada could be bigger so that more employees can enjoy working at one of the best companies in the financial industry!

Advice to Management

The firm has done a phenomenal job at being one of the best financial advisory firms for clients in North America. I look forward to where the firm is headed under Penny Pennington's leadership!