Dynamic Risk Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Dynamic Risk Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2019

4.1
Dynamic Risk CEO Trevor MacFarlane (no image)
Trevor MacFarlane
  1. "Innovative Company with a Strong Focus on Culture"

Current Employee - Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is exciting times at Dynamic Risk with a strong focus on developing innovative solutions for our clients, expanding our footprint in new regions and continually promoting our company vision and the importance of corporate culture.

Cons

No cons to date for the company.

Advice to Management

The continual support of the employees and communicating corporate strategic objectives really has made an impact on employee engagement and ensures we all are working toward the same goals regardless of which department we reside in. Amazing leadership team to work for.

Dynamic Risk2019-07-10
  2. "Practicum"

I worked at Dynamic Risk

Pros

Gain lots of experience and ability to work under pressure

Cons

Practicum is unpaid but working for 2 months would give you good exposure to work environment

Dynamic Risk2019-01-28

February 5, 2019Human Resources Manager

We love our practicum students! They bring a fresh perspective to the solutions that we provide our clients. We also enjoy the opportunity to mentor and build strong developers. Its a great opportunity for us to give back to the community.

"Went downhill very fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Dynamic Risk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of relaxing time as middle management don't track any task and only care about upper management.

Cons

1. Employees don't work in a role they were hired for. Engineers do data loading using Excel, GIS analysts do data QC full time and most of the employees don't really advance in their career as they don't get experience in their own field. This is a very serious issue here, ruins career after working here for few years. 2. Serious issue with mid management- their success is measured in how many names they can... recommend for lay off to save money for the company. They don't take any responsibility/ownership of the tasks and blame individual contributors. 3. Polite employees end up having LOT of work as tasks usually are not defined and go to the people they know better. Some employees just don't work but totally get away with it. 4. If you disagree with any of their decisions, you are in for a special treat- your name has been added to the next round of lottery (lay off)

Advice to Management

Get more individual contributors, NOT managers. Get rid of mid-management that don't really work.

Dynamic Risk2018-04-01

April 3, 2018Human Resources Manager

Thank you for providing an opportunity to highlight what I’m most proud of: our people, our values and our culture. Dynamic Risk is known as an organization that can solve some of the toughest challenges in our industry. It’s an incredibly rewarding and also challenging environment. Team members are likely to be asked to take on tasks and assignments that stretch them beyond their known capabilities. There are so many examples in our organization where teams and individuals have discovered a much greater purpose by moving out of their comfort zone. For those prepared to make the effort, the rewards can be life changing. At Dynamic Risk we are intentional about keeping pace with the dynamic world of work – we understand to maintain market leadership everyone on our team needs to be adaptable, innovative, creative and collaborative. Wherever we can, we give our team members an opportunity to leverage their strengths - and sometimes this results in a person taking on a task, assignment or even a role they hadn’t imagined previously. Our work environment does not suit everyone and I am sorry that we were not able to match your expectations. I wish you well in your career development and thank you again for sharing your comments. Trevor MacFarlane, President and CEO

4. "Good company."

in Calgary, AB

I worked at Dynamic Risk

Pros

Small company with family like feel. Very friendly and professional staff.

Cons

They are struggling with the recession.

Advice to Management

Like always - better communications and consulting decisions with employees. They are always other options!!!

Dynamic Risk2017-05-08
  5. "I love my job (and I actually mean it)!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Dynamic Risk. From the in-depth interview process (which was encouraging because I knew they were serious about finding the right candidate) to the on-boarding process, to the type of work and great group of employees - I am happy I made the move to work here. Leadership is supportive and understands the work. There is little to no "red tape" to deal with so I feel... like I am fully immersed in real work on a daily basis. The subject matter is interesting, and I work with a wide range of bright individuals so I am learning every day.

Cons

Dynamic Risk is experiencing fast growth, and as a result it's natural to experience some growing pains - but I wouldn't even consider this a "con" per se.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work - keep supporting the employees. Remain transparent.

Dynamic Risk2017-04-22

"Worried about the future"

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefits, interesting and challenging work. People are friendly for the most part, and generally knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects. Management is not intimidating in the least.

Cons

At the beginning, everything was great. I would have recommended this company to anyone. Then the economy went down hill and it felt like the culture turned toxic/hostile. Haphazard project management with very unrealistic goals and timelines. This, more than it should, has lead to having to do overtime and this is not very appealing as the time is not compensated due to being on salary. Project goals tend... to shift around every other day/week, which makes for very frustrating problems trying to shift gears. It's impossible to pilot a ship when the captain changes his/her mind about where to go all the time. Some employees have a "lone soldier" mentality and just pump out work without seeking guidance and sometimes end up not putting the quality into the work. Although, this is improving slowly. Management needs to step up and pushing people to follow guidelines, and stop pushing people to just pump out work without any regard to the quality of the work because it "takes too long". If you don't pay for something up front, you'll end up paying for it at twice the cost in the future. HR seems like they're there for the management and not the workers. Because of these cons, I have concerns over the direction and future of the company and whether or not there'll be a layoff slip on my desk in the near future if things don't improve. I sincerely hope that things turn around, as the company has the capability of being great.

Advice to Management

Please start being realistic about goals and timelines. Things will fall apart when goals shift every other day, and with little to no direction. And please pick a direction and stick with it.

Dynamic Risk2016-10-14

October 26, 2016Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are pleased to see that you also recognize Dynamic Risk as a great place to work. Great places to work can be even better. Dynamic Risk’s culture is built on a foundation of transparency and trust and it was disappointing to read that you have recently experienced something different.. The economic downturn has been challenging for many companies and individuals in our industry and we’ve not been immune to its effects. We have had to navigate through unfamiliar waters and not always as smoothly as we would have liked. I see that reflected in your comments regarding project timelines and goals. There is always room for improvement, and we’re confident we’ve got the right people, including you, to get us there. We’re proud that we have not had to reduce staffing levels, salaries or benefits. In fact, we’ve realized a 20% growth rate. This has meant we’ve asked more of our people - to lean in while we weather these uncertain economic times. You’ve highlighted for us a need to create additional communication channels for our staff to express their thoughts. I welcome an opportunity to learn from you how I can be more accessible to everyone in our company and I invite you to partner with us to find solutions to enhance our client experience and ensure we deliver a rewarding work experience.

7. "High School"

I worked at Dynamic Risk full-time

Pros

Some managers attempt to help employees with work questions/problems

Cons

Most employees do not have degrees/experience yet act like they know everything about the role Lots hired when company was desperate and have no background or experience Lots of unnecessary gossip surrounding the whole office Friendships between upper management individuals make it difficult to address problems (if you had a problem with your manager, you could not take it any further because no one would... believe you over the word of their trusty friends)

Advice to Management

Weed out the weak and actually hire people who are qualified and take the job seriously

Dynamic Risk2016-08-30
  8. "Dynamic Risk is a great place to work"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great Executive Leadership Team with the knowledge and foresight to not only sustain a viable business in a challenging economic environment but to continually grow it. Relatively flexible schedule with core hours, 10 Professional days off a year and Vacation time. Donuts on Fridays

Cons

Growing pains. Our Executive Leadership Team realizes that to continually grow restructuring needs to occur periodically. These restructuring periods can be frustrating because as people adjust to their new management roles directives can be a little vague at times. No stampede party this year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work improving work flow processes and management structures.

Dynamic Risk2015-06-03
  9. "One of the Best Companies I Have Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

What I love about this company is its commitment to excellence in all the projects we are involved. The work environment is fill with respect and diversity in ideas, talents and cultures; that makes us a better company every day.

Cons

No Gym in the building. I enjoy exercising and very often I walk during my lunch hour.

Dynamic Risk2015-05-17

"Dynamic Risk - Pros & Cons"

I have been working at Dynamic Risk full-time

Pros

- Ability to work along-side, and, collaboratively with executive leadership. You truly feel as if you are working together to come up with solutions, for the company. Although it is a mid-sized company, you don't have a hierarchical, top-down approach which is refreshing for this Gen Y individual. - The leadership is very respectful and places an emphasis on open communication, which is transparent - I feel as... though I am an equal and trusted team member who understands what I am doing and more importantly, why I am doing it. - incredibly refreshing and unique. - You get to work with like-minded people - I feel as though I work alongside people who share the company values of commitment, performance, integrity, respect, open communication and entrepreneurship. It's faced-paced and varied, but the entrepreneurial spirit and respectful and kind interactions make it an incredibly enjoyable and rewarding place to work! You feel very much like everyone is committed to your success and that they are there to support not only your professional development but also your personal development. - The company is flexible, offers competitive salaries, a performance-based bonus, has 10 flex days a year and is really fun. They also have a coaching review process that looks forward (instead of looking at that one time in the past..) and has set aside funds to help your professional goals. - The company is growing - with lot's of room to grow into new roles and move around! The company is currently incorporating 10% of time on innovation by the end of 2015, as well.

Cons

As it is a company that is experiencing growth, you will need a flexible attitude in order to enjoy your time here. There are process developments, documentation and structural improvements that are currently being developed. If you are someone who needs a lot of structure in order to be happy in your role, you may feel frustrated. However, if you are someone like me who enjoys the ability to creatively pave my own... way and contribute to the success of the company, you will find the job very rewarding. There is no overtime pay, which means you need to be very organized, hardworking and efficient. It's a fast-paced company with fast turn-around times expected, so if you are not able to effectively manage your time and stay on task, you will find difficult. I don't mind working un-paid overtime as it does not happen often and generally fluctuates based on work demand. The benefits I receive at the company far outweigh this. The 10% time on innovation will help with ensure that time is thoughtfully put into understanding a problem so that the most efficient and effective solutions can be incorporated.

Dynamic Risk2015-05-06