Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2020

Pros
Cons
  • "At the moment there are no Cons that I can think of(in 28 reviews)

• "Work/life balance can be disrupted at times(in 27 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Ciena full-time

Pros

Good management and corporate culture.

Cons

Remote working infrastructure and software are not so flexible if you are using Linux

May 15, 2020Ciena

Thank you for your thoughtful and balanced review. It is great to hear your positive experiences. We would like to hear more from you, please reach out cienafeedback@ciena.com

2. "good"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than a year

Pros

good, nice, friendly, happy enviro, good communication

Cons

too far, a lot of work, not a good salary, working enviro

May 15, 2020Ciena

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working at Ciena. We would love to hear more from you on your experiences with us, cienafeedback@ciena.com

3. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Software Designer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to work, upper management seems to know what they are doing. Allows flexible working hours when reasonable. Not too much corporate politicking.

Cons

If you are looking for the latest or hippest place, Ciena is not it. The technology is fairly advanced, but the overall culture is fairly old school. Flex PTO may not be everyone's cup of tea.

May 15, 2020Ciena

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - it's great to read your comments. We appreciate your feedback about our Flex PTO plan. We have gotten some wonderful feedback, along with our carer leave and the current Pandemic plan for time off. We would like to hear more from you , cienafeedback@ciena.com. Be well and be safe

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, respect, helps employees innovate, employees and managers work together towards common goals, there are opportunities for learning. This company goes out of its way to help employees be productive and stay healthy.

Cons

Sometimes long hours are needed but we can take time off in lieu of overtime.

April 12, 2020Ciena

Hey there! Thank you for your feedback. We are incredibly proud to know how strongly you feel about Ciena's culture, values and benefits and we are privileged to have you support the teams you've been supporting day in & day out for over a decade now- Thank you! We have more great things to come in future as we keep getting better and build ourselves stronger at being' A Great Place to Work Company' Trust you're keeping yourself and your family safe and well in these hard times and believing that We are in this together!

"Working at Ciena"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Ciena full-time

Pros

Great people, lots of new technology and learning opportunities

Cons

Long hours, caps on promotions create a glass ceiling

April 12, 2020Ciena

Hello there! Thanks for posting- we are appreciative of all feedback. If you'd like to continue the conversation please get in touch with us at cienafeedback@ciena.com Trust you're keeping yourself and your family safe and well in these hard times and believing that We are in this together!

6. "Good people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people and fairly good opportunities for growth

Cons

Profit hungry management eager to outsource anything and anyone

Continue reading

April 14, 2020Ciena

We value your opinion and are very concerned reading yours. Please can you get in touch with us at Cienafeedback@ciena.com so that we can discuss the above. Please be assured that this would be treated with utmost sensitivity in a bid to make Ciena even a better place to work for.

7. "General"

Current Employee - Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people around to learn more

Cons

Not that much to think of

April 14, 2020Ciena

Thank you for your feedback. We are incredibly proud of our Company. We have more great things to come in future as we keep getting better. Thanks for doing what you do. Keep in touch with us! Cienafeedback@ciena.com Stay safe!

8. "Not all employees are nice"

1.0
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Kanata, ON

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is an ok place.

Cons

Bad management . dont listen

Continue reading

April 14, 2020Ciena

Thanks for the feedback and we are sorry for the experience you had. It is concerning and we would like to hear more. Please can you get in touch with us at Cienafeedback@ciena.com. Stay well and safe

9. "Typical high-tech, better than most"

Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Ciena full-time

Pros

Small company environment Market leader in it's major product lines Competent executive management team

Cons

Long hours Limited opportunities for lateral career moves Ciena's success is dependent on its ability to maintain a technological edge on it's competitors

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- I know this can vary between teams, but my manager is always worried about all employees, trying to keep things interested for projects, and providing opportunities for advancing in career. - Working on latest technology. Products are very competitive, many times better than the competition. - If you have good ideas, you will be heard. Very open to changes. - There is always work for you to do.

Cons

- Way too many meetings. Many of them are pointless, yet people love to schedule long meetings for things that are not needed or that could be discussed in 5 minutes. Managers should be aware that this impacts developers' productivity. - Some colleagues are stuck in the past. If you work really hard, keep up-to-date with latest technology and bring new ideas to the table, in just a few years you can easily surpass people that have been here for decades. We are a tech company, so people should be more keen on this. - Cafeteria lacks better food options.

Found 517 reviews