Audible Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.3
Audible Chairman and CEO Donald R. Katz
Donald R. Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Supportive colleagues, free lunch and endless snacks" (in 56 reviews)

• "The free food, raffled event tickets and RSU's are just some of the awesome perks Audible has to offer" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Intense corporate culture which can lead to poor work/life balance, a tendency towards micromanagement in certain departments" (in 8 reviews)

• "Senior Management is nothing but good players of politics" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Audible: great culture and mission oriented!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Energizing work with a product I am proud to talk about with my friends/family
    - Smart and “nice” colleagues- not cut throat like other places I have worked.
    - The fast pace and growth presents daily challenges
    - Audible’s leadership is mission oriented/committed to the development of Newark and local students ; liked working on Project ListenUp
    - New audio studios allow for creativity (Multi casts)
    - Summer party was cool and hung with/met new colleagues

Cons

- Commuting to Newark has its challenges but getting used to it
    - Neighborhood needs more amenities

2. "Good place if you work hard"

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

Love the product, as most people here do, making the work more meaningful. Fun work environment. Casual dress code. The Newark mission adds more purpose to the work. Fast-growing company, so opportunities abound. Nice perks.

Cons

Hours can be long (varies by team). Bad apples are slow to leave the company.

"Audible is a Visionary Company"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our customers really love our product. The content that we deliver to customers in many cases is life changing - turning downtime like a commute into an opportunity to better themselves and their careers.

And being in a business that is financially successful affords us the opportunity to think big on behalf of the customer and take chances. It is ok if some of our chances don't work out, which is why i believe that ultimately enough initiatives will be successful to drive even more future growth.

Our founder, still CEO, really believes in the work we do, and is genuinely devoted to making the lives of our customers and employees better. This is the first company i have worked at where i really believed in the vision and intentions of our most senior leadership. We have not even scratched the surface of all the value that we are aiming to release into the world.

Compensation and benefits are great. As a new mother of 2 young children, i am eternally grateful for our generous maternity leave, flexible working arrangements, and stocked pantry/catered lunch. No one should decide to work here just for a free lunch, but if is a relief to be able to focus on the great work we are doing and not have to worry about how to procure a healthy meal every day.

Cons

Since customers our content and service so much, we have been able to get away with a less than amazing user experience. It can be frustrating to see issues from the customer's perspective and not be able to address the issues in a timely manner because of competing priorities.

We have grown so much over the last few years, that internal processes can feel a bit chaotic. It is getting better, but if you have discomfort with ambiguity, this might not be a good place for you.

Internal mobility is a bit of a challenge as well. Most senior level people have been brought in from the outside in the last few years, and most internal people have remained stagnant. We are well compensated which is a short term mitigation, but talented people need to grow.

As much as i believe in our CEO and his vision for our company and our CFO and her ability to drive smart execution, i am not totally bought into the strength of the next level of leadership.

Advice to Management

We have lost a few really talented people either because they were frustrated with their ability to get work done, or because they did not see a path for promotion within the company. I believe that management is actively working to address these issues and support our most talented people, but in a digital business like ours it is the key to our ability to continue to delight our customers.

4. "Interview"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

Great Interview and pleasant experience

Cons

There are no cons

5. "Software Development Engineer"

I have been working at Audible full-time

Pros

There are lots of perks for working at Audible.
    Freely audible membership
    Free daily food

Cons

Work tasks are very mundane
    Lacks innovation

6. "Fun Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Audible full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart and Friendly People
    Good work life balance
    Free Food
    Amazing Amazon Perks

Cons

Some Re-orgs are confusing

"Gets old fast"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Its an Amazon company provides you with experience of using Amazon tools & cloud computing.
    + Higher starting salary and better RSU signing bonus than Amazon for most people
    + Free food and booze
    + Transferring to Amazon is easy and you keep your RSUs. Amazon jobs in NYC, Jersey City & Seattle

Cons

- From the top, its a book publishing company first, technology is an after thought
    - Workplace culture is full of anxiety & stress
    - Unrealistic expectations of employees from management, only aggressive personalities make it long term
    - Promotions are rare, based on drinking koolaid and not on developing good software. Getting to Senior engineer takes more years compaired to Amazon.

"Audible"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Audible full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free catered lunch every day. Mondays from a local restaurant. Fridays Salad day. Happy hour on Fridays. Lunch-out one day a week. Used to be an Amazon Money Cow.

Cons

Way too many bosses. The chain of command is way too long. No clear path to improve on the current product.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to chase the culture. What works for Google doesn't have to work for you. Let the great people be themselves.

"A product-first company, to its detriment"

I worked at Audible full-time

Pros

- Fantastic work-life balance
    - Incredibly intelligent engineering colleagues

Cons

- Everything (marketing, engineering, HR, etc) is done with a product-first mentality, meaning that a lot of the supporting infrastructure on both the technology, time scheduling, and human resources are assembled with a rickshaw, good-enough mentality, so a lot of issues arise from it.
    - Due to the aforementioned mentality, there has been massive technical and operational debt accrued in almost every code base and management won't prioritize removal of it unless the global ticketing system auto-cuts a deprecation request; this results in future technical work being far more difficult than is necessary because management refused to invest the time and resources to it as best as possible the first time.
    - The recent change in the company's official principles stripped away core values like "Insist on higher standards" and "show backbone." While the removal of these principles are actually reflective of how Audible has operated before then, that kind of culture leads to a very hierarchical structure regarding decisions made by upper management to its detriment.
    - If you change managers, chances are your career progression will be delayed significantly by that, and in some cases you will restart from scratch.
    - Audible over-focuses on account acquisition, leaving user experience as a second though most of the time, which makes it difficult to get emotionally invested in the work as it feels like we're just trying to do an aggressive cash grab all the time rather than giving our customers the best experience.

Advice to Management

You're not a start-up anymore, and you're far too big to be product-first all the time. Focus on fixing the massively accrued tech- and op-debt or you will drive away more engineering talent. Also, go back to using the Amazon Principles and actually reinvest in quality and raising the bar. And finally, invest in the user experience. Amazon is a customer-obsessed company and you sold the business to them. You should be aligned with that vision, especially the CEO and the VPs.

10. "Fulfilling job at a socially-conscious company"

Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ (US)

I have been working at Audible full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, amazing benefits (education compensation, daily free lunch, free parking or commuter stipend, stocked coffee and snack bars, Friday happy hour, free concert and event tickets, Newark 250 - rent/own stipend), room for growth and learning, convenient location, nearby park, across the street from train station, competitive pay! A thriving company not even at the peak of popularity.

Cons

I don't have any downsides to working at Audible. Definitely beats any alternative!