Appen Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Mark Brayan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a Work from Home Opportunity you don't want to miss out on (in 273 reviews)

• Flexible hours - choose when you work (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict 20 hours per week schedule (if you fail it - you will get fired) and you can work no more than 4 hours per day (in 23 reviews)

• No benefits aside from a small PTO accrual (in 19 reviews)

"Part-time, easy enough, work from home"

Current Employee - Web Search Evauator in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Web Search Evauator in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work from home
    - Easy work

Cons

- Not enough work
    - Contract basis
    - Monotonous

"Would not recommend"

I worked at Appen part-time

Pros

Work from home is a benefit.

Cons

Not a very good job.

"Web Search Evaluator"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator

I have been working at Appen part-time

Pros

Very Interesting and easy work to at free time working from home

Cons

Difficult to pass Search Exam of 34 questions

Advice to Management

Put answers to 34 questions on Search

"Great part time work that has steadily contributed to my freelance career."

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No nonsense, clear expectations and tasks. The pros that come along with freelancing - hours and environment is up to you, and so on. Although I communicate with my team only over email I do feel connected, and over the year and a half that I've worked with my team I can see our progress.

Cons

I would like more hours. No benefits. If you have a hard time focusing yourself on the computer and managing your time you may face difficulty.

Advice to Management

Perhaps make it more clear where an individual fits in to the business as a whole.

24 Jun, 2016 – Sr. Vice President, Human Resources and Crowdsourcing

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the hours and flexibility. Your feedback is helpful as we are constantly working to improve our processes.

"Hard but satisfying"

Pros

Work at home, flexible hours, short period of work a day, good pay, excellent training material, great communication with the staff.

Cons

No job security, training on your own time (without pay), low tolerance for mistakes. Hard training and qualification process. Isolating work from home.

Advice to Management

Don't be to hard on newbies. The learning curve is longer than you think.

24 Jun, 2016 – Sr. Vice President, Human Resources and Crowdsourcing

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience with Appen. We are constantly working to improve our processes, and information like this is a big help to us.

"Terrible Rating System"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You work from home. Nothing else.

Cons

After hearing my friend talk about how good this kind of job is(he works for a competitor) I decided I wanted to try it out... I soon learned that this company will exploit you at any chance they can get. Their rating system doesn't even make sense and the rules change at the whims of a supervisor... yes that means you will constantly get the "wrong" answer even if the supervisor is clearly wrong. The appealing process is a joke, it's just for show.

Everything is monitored, there are over 15 metrics, if you fail any of these you are given a warning..and forced to spend another 10 hours studying and doing exams for free. This is horrible system when you realise that you have so many different metrics that will land you in trouble which is on top of making "good judgements" that cost you because the supervisors rate horribly.

Believe me, you will constantly stumble across erroneous ratings(but they don't care, they will simply blame you for it and ask more of your time).

I'd stay away, there are companies with better rep out there.

"Do not Apply"

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- a lot of resources
    - there is help if you need it

Cons

- i am hoping to get paid 1.5 months AFTER my work, never seen the my paycheck yet
    - constant monitoring and auditing of your work
    - very subjective metrics they use to evaluate your work
    - you get a stipend for doing the tests on the conditions of you passing and starting production, you probably make less than minimum wage for this
    - realistically have to spend 6 hours to get 4 hours of paid work, since the hours you get paid are while you are in production
    - it is essentially a internet sweatshop

"A fair place to make an honest dollar."

Current Employee - Auditor
    Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at Appen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

First of all this is my third review, but we can't update old ones so here I go. I've been with Appen for over a year, first as an evaluator then as an auditor. I've had varying degrees of opinions as time has gone by so I will give an honest review for my current thoughts.

-The pay is above is minimum wage, but this depends on your area. Hourly this pays better than some full time jobs. With extra hours (depending on your project) it can be a significant paycheck.

-The process to apply and start is simple, you read a lot of negativity online and honestly, these must be people who have never searched for a job. Plenty of companies in my experience never reply to applications, take forever to hire, and even if you get hired the onboard process can take several days before you can start or feel like anything but a freeloader. So, if Appen didn't give you an offer within a week, take it easy, maybe you're not a good fit or they don't have anything, just because it's a work from home opportunity it doesn't mean they hire everyone all the time.

-The jobs are usually fairly easy and once you figure it out you can manage to work with a podcast in the background, TV or a movie.

-Flexible, want to go take a nap? Go ahead. Want to finish early today? Start at 6AM,not in a hurry? Start at noon. Had an emergency? Alright just work at 7PM. Just meed the quota and you will be fine.

-Platforms are provided to communicate and clarify concerns.

-They give you opportunities to improve your quality if there is a decline or any other issues.

Cons

Now for the cons, because while I overall give them a good rating, some things could be improved.

-As people say, the work is subjetive, that is a fact and will cause disputes. To me this isn't a con necessarily, but it isn't a pro either, just a fact of the work type. They do try to clarify as much as possible but sometimes can contradict themselves. As an auditor I've noticed a lot of the problems come due to some people lacking common sense and not properly using the platforms Appen provides. Again, there is subjectivity, but people make it worse than it should be because they don't properly follow guidelines or use all their available tools. Now, the reason people do this brings me to my second point.

-You are not paid for reviewing guidelines, emailing, clarifying doubts on the platforms. This is to be expected, because how would you stop someone from wasting time "researching" then billing for it? There are a lot clever people out there that make this a necessary evil, but on the flipside, it keeps people from helping themselves (which in the long run can affect them, but that's their choice) by stopping to research information.

-The tools can malfunction quite a bit. Now, flexibility is a huge pro, but that gets thrown out of the window if the tools keep malfunctioning and suddenly your flexibility is gone as the Workflow stops updating/systen crashes/can't login etc. It sucks when suddenly you find yourself unable to finish your work because something went wrong and you have to finish 5 hours later or something like that.

-Emails can sometimes take quite a bit to answer.

-Would be great if one could give feedback about guidelines to identify problem areas and maybe reach a concensus of what is "right" for certain scenarios. One can email management, sure , but one will not be able to help feeling fastidious or simply as overstepping bounds.

-No paid holidays or PTO. Holidays I can understand (as you can just take it free and make up) but PTO for people who have been there a certain amount of time would be nice.

Advice to Management

Well my advice would be
    -Try to get tool issues worked out. They really interfere with meeting weekly quotas if someone has another job/responsibilities when the tools are actually working (early morning in my case it seems).

-Find ways to encourage everyone to keep up with guidelines

-Provide guidelines for the more complicated scenarios, some things are cut and dry, but others are real head scratchers.

-Let the project participants (both auditors and raters) provide feedback on guidelines, it can only help the quality of the data.

6 Nov, 2017

On behalf of our entire team, I want to thank you for spending so much time to write this articulate review. I plan to share your feedback with our company leaders. If you’d be willing to have a... More

"Great Company Thus Far"

Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Waco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Web Search Evaluator in Waco, TX (US)

I have been working at Appen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked with Appen a little over 6 months. I am a part time employee, but this has been an excellent opportunity to work remotely. Appen is reasonable with PTO (which is rare for remote positions) and whenever I have had issues with my user dashboard my Project Managers have been extremely helpful. I live in Texas, and during Hurricane Harvey they even sent out a company email to those of us living in Texas telling us to take the time we needed to recover from the hurricane. It was very meaningful to me, and has been a solid company to be a part of.

Cons

Hourly
    At the beginning of my project there were many days when there were no available tasks which means I didn't get paid for those hours. However, after about 3 months after the project began the task shortages have stopped and I've been able to get in all 19 hours of work per week.

Advice to Management

I do wish I had one sole project manager. I think that there are several on our project so sometimes I will email one and another will respond. This is fine most of the time, but if I'm dealing with something very intricate or specific, the communication is jumbled when it goes from project manager to project manager.

8 Dec, 2017

Thank you for the feedback regarding having a single project manager. We are currently working on ways to improve our communication and hope to create the best experience possible.

"Appen is a total scam and ripoff of your valuable time."

Pros

Working at home on the computer.

Cons

Lack of proper communication. No phone communication whatsoever, only by sending in tickets and emails. They hired me for a project for me to review advertisements and I worked hard at this task and always looked back at the materials as a guideline to keep all my answers as per how they want them to be. However, this was not good enough for them and I was retested. Of course, I knew they would fail the retest and fire me immediately. In addition, I have been putting in my house on my time sheet and they have not paid me once. They claim I will be paid for the hours I billed for but I have not seen any money yet. I am giving up on seeing any pay and my working with Appen has been a total waste of my time when I could have been putting in my efforts working for someone else.

Advice to Management

Open communication is key and helping your workers if they need assistance is important. You should also have a hotline number for people to call you to reach out immediately and not wait for an email that either never comes or take a long time in coming.

2 Oct, 2017 – Recruiter

We’re very sorry to hear about your negative experience with Appen! Please feel free to contact us at feedback@appen.com; we would love to hear more information about your situation in hopes that it... More