American Express Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3,303 Ratings

5,353 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life balance gets little challenging (in 208 reviews)

• Decision making is a slow process (in 108 reviews)

1. "great company"

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

I love working there. everyone was very helpful and a team player

Cons

dept discontinue all staff got let go before place in other dept

Advice to Management

great team

2. "bilingual rep"

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

pay was ok, collegues were great

Cons

always the threat of being let go

3. "Very good company"

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Very good place to work

Cons

Very busy and crowded but that's because they're such a huge cooperation

5. "Account Development Executive"

Current Employee - Account Development Executive in Sydney, NS
    Current Employee - Account Development Executive in Sydney, NS

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits including paternity leave.

Cons

Not many career opportunities so people have to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Promote from within to keep the talents.

6. "If you work in Canada office your days are numbered"

Current Employee - Private in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Private in Toronto, ON

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office environment is nice except for parking situation, we were all promised free parking moving to a new site and CEO reneged on that offer. Great brand, proud to hae worked all these years for Amex.

Cons

Our jobs have been going overseas down by 70% from our high... it's not just automation is blatant favouritism where jobs are going to other countries where the roles are hand picked/delegated meaning no posting OR are going to far less qualified, zero experience where now you have high tenured professionals reporting into lower qualified and lesser paid employees, that part is just not fair!

Advice to Management

Review the talent within Canada and keep the jobs here! Unfair to report to foreign leaders who couldn't care less since we are out of sight out of mind and come year end you know who gets the top ratings? Not us! Every rating is subjective so although we outperform, our inarticulate leaders can not support us properly come consistency meetings so we are relegated to taking whatever we get... very unfair and no one to really talk to.

7. "Bigger focus needed on employee compensation/advancement"

Pros

The culture is competitive and is great if you want to keep on your toes

Cons

The compensation is below average and overall promotions can be hard to come by

8. "TLI"

I have been working at American Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has a nice environment and a good atmosphere to work. You can work with the people work with.

Cons

When someone give the training it needs more time, and also agent cannot just learn because at the end you may never know what kind of coaching you will be getting from your Team Manager.

"PREMIUM TRAVEL CONSULTANT (PLATINUM AND CENTURION CLIENTS)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-excellent suppliers
    -majority of clients were fabulous

Cons

-no work/life balance - be prepared to work EVERY Christmas, New Years, Boxing Day, etc (originally they demanded you work 2 stats, then, even after they hired numerous people it suddenly became 4) Mind you, of course, any of those above direct team leader NEVER work those days so they just do not care)
    -promotions based strictly on favoritism, not education or experience. Laziness and clock watching seems to be admired
    -constant lies-to the point that you have to keep a copy of EVERYTHING. They will cancel your CONFIRMED vacation and the attitude is too bad, so sad (just did this to a co-worker that has already BOOKED a trip...employee too afraid to say anything as does not want to lose job after they laid off the most qualified, experienced and educated employees in two blocks in 2016
    -you are set up to fail. As an example, RTF. The score, if negative, is often based on something that is COMPLETELY beyond your control (upset about half-truths told to them by the marketing team, travel policies). Worse, sometimes a client will assign a 1 thinking it is best when it is the worst (you can tell the client loved you by the comments assigned). When this is brought up, again, too bad, so sad
    -more on the point above the company can magically alter stats when it benefits them but not when it is a benefit to you. Furthermore, as to RTF, how can you explain a score of 10/10/9/10/10/8/1/10...suddenly your RTF is 20%....that some spectacular math let me tell you
    -terrible office morale, everyone is unhappy and miserable and over 10% of the staff is on either short or long-term disability (quite obvious something is VERY wrong as all those off can be linked directly to stress
    -terrible scheduling - some employees are required to work 10-hour shifts, sometimes with double weekends, others forced to work staggered days off. This
     shift will often last a year, two years (this is, of course, on top of working Christmas, New Years, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve and Boxing Day)
    -management is abusive and sometimes misogynistic. Management and some team leaders are COMPLETELY unqualified
    -promised work at home and then canceled it. This is AFTER they moved to an unsafe location (get it, to save money, but your employees lives also count) that is COMPLETELY isolated late at night (many shifts end 11 pm) as there are tons of unbuilt condos in the area that are obviously abandoned late at night. If this is brought up to management you are construed as being negative and one (former, I think)employee was allegedly told not to worry as there are cameras)
    -no FAMS or FAM budget, even if you use your vacation time (remember it is impossible to get time off). Mind you, of course, they can find 50Euro to pay a so-called blogger for one week somewhere in Europe, to send team leaders to London and Mexico (tons of training space in new office, plus, no less than FOUR supplier hotels right here in Toronto that they could have used) and the cherry on top was sending TEAM LEADERS to supplier showcase in Paris when they should have sent the people that actually SELL the product.
    -forbidden to speak out, even if it is of concern for life and safety.
    -terrible facilities - no coffee machine, no plates or cutlery in the kitchen and absolutely NOTHING walking distance for those with no car (to get there and back on your dinner break), lights (it is a 10 minute walk through deserted area with no sidewalks or even proper lighting) are dimmed to near black as the important people leave by 6 pm and the rest of the building is vacant by 6 pm as well, toilets do not flush after 6 pm and no heat on weekends (was working on a recent stat and the temprature in the office was 15C...it was FREEZING...team lead went to facilites and told that temprature is kept at bare minimum on weekends and stats despite people working...I think it is intentional to save money
    -a drastic cut in benefits as drugs for some serious diseases like cancer no longer covered
    -I could go on but would type until tomorrow....these are just SOME of the issues.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. LISTEN to them and not attack them when they express concern as to safety. I get that there are cutbacks, but no reason as to why you could not have staff that works late be work-at-home for their safety. Base promotions on EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and HARD WORK, not favoritism. EVERYONE knows it is blatant and happening. We are NOT stupid

10. "Bilingual Customer Care Professional"

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Care Professional
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Care Professional

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for customer service. Bonuses offered when monthly sales targets are met. 3 weeks vaca on first year. Health & dental benefits. Extensive 3-month paid training.

Cons

Vacation days are seniority based.

11. "Great company to work for and amazing to have home office"

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, home office

Cons

Location of head office in North York. Traffic can be tough if coming from west end.

Showing 5,353 of 5,668 reviews