Alberta Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.2
Ray R. Pisani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "This is enough time to make budge but do not call in sick, or miss work" (in 3 reviews)

• "Very poor communication from senior members to junior members" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great support and career development

Cons

Salary not always competitive... but still reasonable

"ABC"

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Pretty awesome culture they have built. Kind of like a super weird and large family (only if you get involved though). Awesome workout classes and lots of focus on wellness.

Cons

- people get promoted based on years vs actual suitability for the job or experience
    - seem to reassign people on whims in order to move "problems"
    - HR does not stand up for employee
    - Pay is terrible and not at all comparable to market...or wait, maybe if you're a VP, then you're making the right kind of money
    - No one protects the little guy, management is ALWAYS right

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Sure you have to take it with a grain of salt, but majority rules. Also, pay your employees more. Value your full time employees OVER contract ones, NOT the other way around. The frills (ie gym etc) is great but thats not all that an awesome company is made of.

"Great company, could use a wee shakeup!"

Former Employee - Team Manager
    Former Employee - Team Manager

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People. So many good people. Hands down they are family and always will be.
    I would return in the future if the right opportunity came up
    Work/Life Balance - To succeed you work hard, but it's not like private sector.
    Education Benefit - One of the most generous around
    LAPP - Don't overlook the benefit of this!!
    Equipment - Blue Cross does not shy away about spending on technology/hardware/etc.
    Vision/Purpose - Alberta Blue Cross has a lot going for itself, the organization cares about Albertans!
    Hearts of Blue - an amazing group of individuals

Cons

Benefits - Poor benefits package & salaries compared to same roles elsewhere.
    Lack of trust - Super tight control from top levels.
    Promotion of people to management who are unable to lead and let go of details.
    Heavy reliance on opinions of consultants rather than own staff.

Advice to Management

Replace more top and middle management with some outside perspective. Increase pay/benefits to attract key talent.
    Demand performance based on metrics, get those off the bus that have checked out long ago.
    Trust your front line stars. Give them ability to make decisions and support them.
    Give your front line managers (TM's) trust and ability to made decisions
    Adopt and promote a servant leadership style, starting at the top
    PLEASE encourage directors and VP's to talk with front line staff, not just at Christmas.

4. "Adjudicator"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing health, dental and health spending account benefits

Cons

It is located in the downtown area so parking is expensive

5. "Coordinator, Health Services"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, Casual Work Environment, friendly staff

Cons

Low pay, regular technical issues

"Good for beginning experience"

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Strong team members, good benefits. Some flexibility allowed within office hours, overtime not required.

Cons

Department greatly influences work experience. Manager support was minimal - looking good to others more important than welfare of employees. High stress environment.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that you are invested in their welfare and are willing to act

"Good Company"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice company culture

Cons

low pay and not much vacation

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never ending work. Management is slowly changing. Large amount of technology and budget for a company this size.

Cons

Management pool is largely inept and nepotistic, bureaucracy grinds most progress to a halt. Small company family values not in line with scale of company. Heavily siloed departments with poor communication (see: inept managers). Directors are rife with conflicts of interest (mostly Oracle contractors)

Advice to Management

Break walls between departments. Cut the dead weight and pursue innovation at all levels. Strive for process where there is none (and there is very little), and lay waste to antiquated tools.

"Good community and benefits, but a lackluster career"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The time off is decently generous, 3 weeks vacation, 12 sick/family days, and one (optional) earned day off per month. Work/life balance is great.

There is a mandatory pension plan (LAPP); contributions are roughly 10% of your salary and can either be kept in the pension, cashed out to a LIRA or ported to other pension plans if you leave. If you leave before 2 years, it can go to an RRSP.

The benefit packages are generous and customizable. There are many company events and groups to help network within and outside of your departments. There are many opportunities for training and professional development, with a $4000 annual allowance for full-time employees.

Cons

The IT department seems disconnected from the others, with a very somber, serious feel that's focused more around timelines than morale. IT department floors are creepily quiet compared to the other departments (and compared to other companies I have worked at). Salaries are below average, and there is very little room or opportunities for growth within the company.

The only feel of advancement I get is from attending external training and professional development programs. At first I was enthusiastic to use my new skills, but now I just feel like I'm padding my resume. There are many employees who have acquired several certificates / citations / diplomas during their time here but have never had an opportunity to use their new talents.

Advice to Management

Do a market assessment and bring salaries up to market value; adjust existing employee salaries, not just new hires. Move away from fixed, company-wide raises (everyone gets $X more this year!) and to performance-based raises.

Find ways to generate enthusiasm for work outside of benefits and money. Give people opportunities to enjoy their work, and give them room for growth.

The IT department in particular ostracizes anyone who doesn't look like they're being productive every second of their day; this stunts team growth, interpersonal relations, and appreciation for your peers. I have fun times with people outside of the IT department, but inside it, it seems like a vacuum.

"Very disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time employment. Daytime weekday hours.

Cons

DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT bother yourself into thinking that a sales position at this company will lead you to a career with Alberta Blue Cross.
    Do not believe what they sell you at the interview. Do not believe the mantra that they are "always hiring to fill all the cubicles". They are always hiring because they treat you poorly and if you do not make sales, they'll kick you out the door no matter how hard you work. If you do not know personally or are not related to someone who works at this company, don't bother, you'll just be a number to them. And good luck advancing or going anywhere in your career at this company.
    People quit or are let go for not making 100% of sales within 3 months. Training at the beginning seems great but don't let yourself be fooled, I'm not the weakest link and neither are you. Don't put your energy into this place. As a former employee,I do not recommend it AT ALL. Stick with whatever job you currently have or keep looking, because if you take more sick days than the arbitrary number that they will tell you is "group average" you'll be in trouble BIG TIME. And if you say that you are actually sick, you've become sick due to the undue stress, well I wish you luck and would tell you either way to move on, you can make more money elsewhere.
    Do not work here in any sales role, maybe other roles are great but don't bother with any sales rep roles in this company. They are a not for profit that acts like a corporation and pours whatever money you make them not into your commission but into management salaries and advertising. My advice,don't bother,those guys already make enough, you don't need to pad their wallets...
    You will be told you can never work hard enough, never take enough calls, and oh, if you are sick you poor human, well you'd better robot up and not take beyond the company average of sick days. Don't count on having time to grab a cup of tea or go pee ether because calls are waiting and you need to take more calls. If you don't believe me, take the job and please enjoy realising that I'm not lying. You do not want a sales job here, I've been treated much better and under much less stress at many retail positions. Don't bother with this place. Oh, and don't bother contacting HR,they are no better. Save yourself the pain.

Advice to Management

Shape up yesterday. Walk the walk you talk