Alberta Blue Cross Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 16 January, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Ray R. Pisani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a culture of work-life balance that is being developed as well as being active in the community (in 11 reviews)

• Friendly, good system, good benefits, lots of opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is enough time to make budge but do not call in sick, or miss work (in 3 reviews)

• very poor pay relative to industry norms in virtually every position in the company, but particularly in IT (in 3 reviews)

1. "Claims clerk"

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and i felt supported in all levels of management

Cons

There was not enough overtime.

"Good community and benefits, but a lackluster career"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The time off is decently generous, 3 weeks vacation, 12 sick/family days, and one (optional) earned day off per month. Work/life balance is great.

There is a mandatory pension plan (LAPP); contributions are roughly 10% of your salary and can either be kept in the pension, cashed out to a LIRA or ported to other pension plans if you leave. If you leave before 2 years, it can go to an RRSP.

The benefit packages are generous and customizable. There are many company events and groups to help network within and outside of your departments. There are many opportunities for training and professional development, with a $4000 annual allowance for full-time employees.

Cons

The IT department seems disconnected from the others, with a very somber, serious feel that's focused more around timelines than morale. IT department floors are creepily quiet compared to the other departments (and compared to other companies I have worked at). Salaries are below average, and there is very little room or opportunities for growth within the company.

The only feel of advancement I get is from attending external training and professional development programs. At first I was enthusiastic to use my new skills, but now I just feel like I'm padding my resume. There are many employees who have acquired several certificates / citations / diplomas during their time here but have never had an opportunity to use their new talents.

Advice to Management

Do a market assessment and bring salaries up to market value; adjust existing employee salaries, not just new hires. Move away from fixed, company-wide raises (everyone gets $X more this year!) and to performance-based raises.

Find ways to generate enthusiasm for work outside of benefits and money. Give people opportunities to enjoy their work, and give them room for growth.

The IT department in particular ostracizes anyone who doesn't look like they're being productive every second of their day; this stunts team growth, interpersonal relations, and appreciation for your peers. I have fun times with people outside of the IT department, but inside it, it seems like a vacuum.

"Very disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time employment. Daytime weekday hours.

Cons

DO NOT. I repeat, DO NOT bother yourself into thinking that a sales position at this company will lead you to a career with Alberta Blue Cross.
    Do not believe what they sell you at the interview. Do not believe the mantra that they are "always hiring to fill all the cubicles". They are always hiring because they treat you poorly and if you do not make sales, they'll kick you out the door no matter how hard you work. If you do not know personally or are not related to someone who works at this company, don't bother, you'll just be a number to them. And good luck advancing or going anywhere in your career at this company.
    People quit or are let go for not making 100% of sales within 3 months. Training at the beginning seems great but don't let yourself be fooled, I'm not the weakest link and neither are you. Don't put your energy into this place. As a former employee,I do not recommend it AT ALL. Stick with whatever job you currently have or keep looking, because if you take more sick days than the arbitrary number that they will tell you is "group average" you'll be in trouble BIG TIME. And if you say that you are actually sick, you've become sick due to the undue stress, well I wish you luck and would tell you either way to move on, you can make more money elsewhere.
    Do not work here in any sales role, maybe other roles are great but don't bother with any sales rep roles in this company. They are a not for profit that acts like a corporation and pours whatever money you make them not into your commission but into management salaries and advertising. My advice,don't bother,those guys already make enough, you don't need to pad their wallets...
    You will be told you can never work hard enough, never take enough calls, and oh, if you are sick you poor human, well you'd better robot up and not take beyond the company average of sick days. Don't count on having time to grab a cup of tea or go pee ether because calls are waiting and you need to take more calls. If you don't believe me, take the job and please enjoy realising that I'm not lying. You do not want a sales job here, I've been treated much better and under much less stress at many retail positions. Don't bother with this place. Oh, and don't bother contacting HR,they are no better. Save yourself the pain.

Advice to Management

Shape up yesterday. Walk the walk you talk

"Sales"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Earned days off, 3 weeks vacation, paid training, 9-5 hours.

Cons

Extremely poor pay for the industry, a commission structure that leaves even hard workers struggling to earn commission and make more than slightly above minimum wage, constant stress of not making quotas, pressure to work extra (which can only be done by working through breaks because it is so busy) so your sales do not go down if you are away on vacation or sick, company culture perks that seem great but you are told you do not have access to use because it's too busy, extreme stress because you are expected to take more and more calls and make or exceed quotas and this may come at the expense of non-sales related customer needs, passive aggressive to outright aggressive managers sending unpleasant emails throughout the day putting pressure on staff who are already working as hard as they can, defensive and unempathetic human resources advisors who further compound a hostile environment. Not have time to drink enough water throughout the day, fear should you be sick and call in sick of sales lagging, a constant fear you may get in trouble at any time, unapproachable management who offer one sided communication and do not lead by example. Too many relatives or family friends work for this company to the point where it is an ethical concern.

Advice to Management

This company needs a complete management nf HR turnover.
    These people should be replaced with progressive individuals who stand behind the ethics and vision of the company and want to enable staff to build careers rather than manage them like workhorses.
    More people need to be hired unrelated to current staff as so many relatives or family friends work together in various positions at this company that it it creates an ethical concern.

6. "Great, comfortable job"

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good benefits

Cons

Work isn't motivating or engaging

"Good benefits, lots of time on the phone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As Blue Cross is a benefit provider the benefits that they offer employees are good.

Cons

Most of the positions require a lot of time answering and talking on the phone. Not my favorite thing to do.

8. "Dental Assessor"

Former Employee - Claims in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Claims in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent support of the company to work and life balance.

Cons

I didnt see any, everything seemed good but I judt had to move to a different province with family

Advice to Management

Always keep up to be the best!

"Antiquated business structure and practices"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time

Pros

There is a culture of work-life balance that is being developed as well as being active in the community.

Cons

Corporate structure is 10 years behind and the business practices seems to follow suit. There are lot of silos and miscommunication. Authoritarian management and sometimes, micro-management, has elicit poor engagement for employees in some departments.

Advice to Management

To improve engagement, subordinates' contributions need to be given serious consideration, especially when they are educated and experienced in that field. Individuals (managers and non-managers) need to focus their efforts specific to their roles, thus time and energy can be efficiently utilized. Reduce duplicate/redundant groups/departments/roles.

10. "Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with great people.
     Flexible hours, paid sick days, Up to 6 weeks paid vacation, benefits

Cons

In some areas of the company there appears to be a disconnect between staff and management.

Advice to Management

Trust and support the staff to ensure the best outcomes for all levels within the company, as well as Members.

11. "Systems Analyst"

I have been working at Alberta Blue Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, environment and work time.

Cons

Salary just fair, benefit not the best